PDA

View Full Version : PsiNet?

Lockrebezz
09-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Just came back to the game a month ago and I keep hearing PsiNet, what would that be?

crazymage
09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
http://psinet.cjb.net/

Chelle
09-11-2004, 11:43 PM
From what I hear it is teh evil.

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Definitely not.

09-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Yeah, you heard it from Celtar. Celtar tends have a bit of an elitist attitude when it comes to Psinet.

- Arkans

MrThorbizzle
09-12-2004, 01:36 AM
can't get psinet to work with stormfront...can anyone help?

Cayge
09-12-2004, 02:27 AM
Psinet rocks, and people who hate it, amuse me. I find it very useful, and OOC chat is always interesting, everyone there knows EVERYTHING.

Dont use SF, sorry I cant help ya.

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by MrThorbizzle
can't get psinet to work with stormfront...can anyone help?

How do you log into the game?

Fallen
09-12-2004, 02:37 AM
God... Anyone who logs onto, and actively participates in the OOC chat has officially lost the right to bitch about the current state of Gemstone.

MrThorbizzle
09-12-2004, 02:42 AM
I've tried both SGE and play.net....doesn't work

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Fallen
God... Anyone who logs onto, and actively participates in the OOC chat has officially lost the right to bitch about the current state of Gemstone.

Shit I guess that includes you SINCE YOU ARE USING THIS FORUM YOU HYPOCRITCAL PRICK.

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 02:45 AM
I've tried both SGE and play.net....doesn't work

SGE certainly should work.

What is happening exactly, nothing at all?

Oh and btw, its down currently.

MrThorbizzle
09-12-2004, 02:50 AM
nothing at all is happening...no psinet text in stormfront at all

Fallen
09-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Shit I guess that includes you SINCE YOU ARE USING THIS FORUM YOU HYPOCRITCAL PRICK. >>

Why do you say that? These forums are a completely separate entity from the game. Psinet net is an OOC chatroom overlaid ontop of GS. You cannot engage in PSInet net and not have your character in the lands at the same time.

I did not say I am against PSInet, nor those that use it. Anyone that bitches about OOC behavior, yet actively participates in an OOC chatroom while playing GS is the true hypocrite.

Chyrain
09-12-2004, 03:06 AM
Shit I guess that includes you SINCE YOU ARE USING THIS FORUM YOU HYPOCRITCAL PRICK. >>

Why do you say that? These forums are a completely separate entity from the game. Psinet net is an OOC chatroom overlaid ontop of GS. You cannot engage in PSInet net and not have your character in the lands at the same time.

I did not say I am against PSInet, nor those that use it. Anyone that bitches about OOC behavior, yet actively participates in an OOC chatroom while playing GS is the true hypocrite.

i don't suppose you ever use AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN or any combination of those while you're playing the game, do you?

Do you just ignore people who come up to you during your game play with that pesky OOG & OOC nonesense?

because a person can't do both and a good RPer, eh?

MrThorbizzle
09-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the interest, Nakiro, you drunk empath...but it spontaneously started working! yay

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the interest, Nakiro, you drunk empath...but it spontaneously started working! yay

Awesome, glad to hear it.

CrystalTears
09-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Chyrain

i don't suppose you ever use AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN or any combination of those while you're playing the game, do you?

Do you just ignore people who come up to you during your game play with that pesky OOG & OOC nonesense?

because a person can't do both and a good RPer, eh?

I don't think he means outside sources to communicate. He's referring to a chat medium that can only be used while logged into the game. When you are on the boards or in IMs, you're in a different environment. When you are in the chats with PsiNet, although it's a separate part of the game, it still is part of the game and makes it harder to separate. I guess.. um.. something like that. Er.. I hope he knows what I mean. :D

Drew
09-12-2004, 03:38 AM
You have to admit he has a bit of a point, how often do we see threads about people attacking/killing people for stuff said on OOC. I've definately been threatened with in-game for reprisals for things I've said on OOC and I'm not that confrontational on there to begin with.

On the other hand, idiots will be idiots no matter what, OOC just gives them a new way to bring it in game.

Nieninque
09-12-2004, 04:02 AM
TAYRE FOR MOD!!!!

Chadj
09-12-2004, 04:04 AM
OOC chat is an OOC chat. Just as if it were AIM.

Although there is the point, idiots kill due to things said on OOC, people have also/do/will continue to kill from things on AIM, MSN and ICQ as well. A chat is a chat, no matter how you look at it.

Just because you chat in an OOC chatroom, does not mean you are being OOC in any way, shape, or form. It's not like each time you CHAT, someone notices this in game and says "OMG U FUCKING SNERT U R RUINING THE GAME CAUSE U ARE CHATTING". This does not happen. The OOC chat does not effect the RP or way that people [who are not fucked, stupid, or totally OOC to begin with] play the game.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that:

<<Anyone that bitches about OOC behavior, yet actively participates in an OOC chatroom while playing GS is the true hypocrite.>>

is one of the dumbest things I've read all day. Blanket statements are stupid. Simple fact. Some people give it a bad name; Not all.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Chadj]

Nieninque
09-12-2004, 04:08 AM
Well it was said by a man and men are notorious for only being able to do one thing at a time, therefore you can probably understand where he was coming from

For anyone who was about to take this comment seriously, please see my avatar

Edited to make it make sense

[Edited on 12-9-04 by Nieninque]

Stunseed
09-12-2004, 04:10 AM
I think some people take OOC into game and they ruin what OOC really is. I can't the number of times I've laughed my ass off at someone and my character is straight-faced to theirs. Anticor is a good example, we hunt and everything is in character, but on OOC it's hilarious.

I also believe that some people enforce what's wrong with OOC. A great example is when Reltov major e-waved like 15 people dead. The people on Psinet were prodding him to do so. Some folks with LPS gotta have something to brag about on Psinet, so they cause drama. For the ability to say "I PWNED THEIR ASS!!!11!!".

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Stunseed]

Chadj
09-12-2004, 04:10 AM
Sometimes I do what the guy does in Nieninque's avatar for fun. It helps pass time.

Nieninque
09-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Chadj
Sometimes I do what the guy does in Nieninque's avatar for fun. It helps pass time.

really?
I never saw you as a pink and green kinda bloke :lol:

Chadj
09-12-2004, 04:59 AM
YOU CHANGED IT!!!!

But I do that too sometimes.

Drew
09-12-2004, 05:11 AM
Blanket statements are stupid.

Sooo... you make a blanket statement about all blanket statements being stupid? :?:

I'm trapped in some sort of causality loop just thinking about it!

Nieninque
09-12-2004, 05:45 AM
YOU CHANGED IT!!!!

But I do that too sometimes.

:lol:

[Edited to add the avatar I changed it to]

[Edited on 12-9-04 by Nieninque]

Chadj
09-12-2004, 05:46 AM
As was the point.

If you want it put into a non-looped way:

Generally, most blanket statements are stupid.

Artha
09-12-2004, 06:04 AM
t. When you are in the chats with PsiNet, although it's a separate part of the game, it still is part of the game and makes it harder to separate.

Only retards (http://forum.gsplayers.com/member.php?action=viewpro&member=gcstader) can't seperate OOC chat from GemStone.

Chyrain
09-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, if you think about it...where any one group of people get together to "chat" regularly, sometimes it will cause the herd* mentality.

But what I don't get from reading this thread is that...most of us generally look down on the OOC proding being taken into game, yet no one really says anything at the time that it happens? I mean, if a majority of Psinet users do think all of that stuff is bogus, then say something. Petition Jamus to kick those who take OOC stuff into the game off the program for a while until they learn to play nice. I dunno.

I just think it's too great of a program to get such a bad reputation for the handful of cock strokers to who actually don't understand the difference.

Latrinsorm
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Anyone that bitches about OOC behavior, yet actively participates in an OOC chatroom while playing GS is the true hypocrite. You are incorrect. Here's why: Characters do not use PsiNet, Players do.

Chyrain, what does the asterisk next to "herd" signify exactly?

09-12-2004, 11:50 AM
How is OOC behavior in a game related to an OOC outlet that is not in game?

- Arkans

Bobmuhthol
09-12-2004, 11:53 AM
<<Petition Jamus to kick those who take OOC stuff into the game off the program for a while until they learn to play nice.>>

Jamus has said that PsiNet shouldn't be used as one's own sanctuary. It gives people the opportunity to do whatever they want with no repercussion. That was a while ago, though, so I don't know what the policy is on it now.

Fallen
09-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Let me put it this way. Has the creation of an OOC chatroom while inside GS created more positive or more negative situations and interactions? Has it decreased OOC behavior or increased it?

As I said before, I don't have a problem with PSInet. I use the program myself. I simply think that people that bitch about the current state of affairs, yet use an OOC chatroom while in game are hypocrites.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Fallen]

Bobmuhthol
09-12-2004, 02:32 PM
<<Has it decreased OOC behavior or increased it?>>

Has the Players' Corner decreased OOC behavior or increased it? Guess you better GTFO, because this forum certainly doesn't make people stop being OOC.

<<I simply think that people that bitch about the current state of affairs, yet use an OOC chatroom while in game are hypocrites.>>

So if I'm in an AIM chatroom while in game I have no right to have a problem with the game's current state of affairs? I masturbate while logged in, I watch movies while logged in, I listen to music while logged in. Am I a hypocrite because I do things that don't involve GemStone while playing GemStone at the same time?

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

Parkbandit
09-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Let me put it this way. Has the creation of an OOC chatroom while inside GS created more positive or more negative situations and interactions? Has it decreased OOC behavior or increased it?

As I said before, I don't have a problem with PSInet. I use the program myself. I simply think that people that bitch about the current state of affairs, yet use an OOC chatroom while in game are hypocrites.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Fallen]

You would be incorrect Fallen. In fact, there are some online roleplaying games out there that have an OOC chat feature as well.

Because you have the ability to chat in an OUT OF CHARACTER format does not mean you all of a sudden forget what OOC is and what IC is.

Personally, I think roleplaying is what you make of it.. but if I wished to complain about the state of roleplaying in Gemstone while on Psinet.. then where's your point? Because chat is within the game windows means players all of a sudden become stupid and forget what OOC means?

Don't blame the technology.. blame the people using it.

Numbers
09-12-2004, 05:15 PM

Has it caused some problems in the game? Sure. But mostly by people who are moronic idiots who can't differentiate between a completely OOC channel and the game proper. People like that generally don't last very long on PsiNet until they're banned or scared off.

As for positives? I can only speak from my own perspective, but it's helped me out loads of times. If I have a question about a certain game mechanic, I can get an answer immediately on the OOC channel. If I need a price check on something, I can get one on the channel. If I have a question about anything game-related, I can get an answer there. If I'm out doing a boring hunting routine, the OOC channel gives me some entertainment while resting, and that makes hunting more bearable.

Bobmuhthol
09-12-2004, 05:17 PM
<<People like that generally don't last very long on PsiNet until they're banned or scared off.>>

Oddeye, Geoffani, and Grabbs are the only three people that are banned from PsiNet. In all three cases, it was because of what they said on OOC.

09-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Grabbs entertained me. No reason to ban him.

- Arkans

Artha
09-12-2004, 05:41 PM
He said something like "AIDS is good because it kills gay people." and then got banned for awhile. Then he got unbanned for a few hours before saying something retarded enough to get banned foreva.

Nakiro
09-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I also liked Grabbs.

I thought his second, and for the most part his first, ban were only marginally warrented.

Chyrain
09-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Chyrain, what does the asterisk next to "herd" signify exactly?

last night on the OOC channel, some geek started a conversation about me losing 100 cool points but stated that if I went and killed Coinner, I could turn that around.

I then began a typical sarcastic response which included me saying I didn't participate in the herd mentality. Except that I spelled it wrong and was promptly corrected. So the asterisk was put there because I thought it was funny. Didn't think to create a real footnote for the post.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by Chyrain]

Latrinsorm
09-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Thx. :)