PDA

View Full Version : can't make a decision please help

MPSorc
09-11-2004, 08:25 PM
ok, i have a 33 (almost 34) trained dark elf rogue. I am not interested in picking boxes anymore, so i want to go all out attacking with him now, problem is i can't decide which way to go. I am torn between archery, two hand weapons, and two weapon combat, i have seen really good rogues with all three styles of fighting. I have a good grasp on archery and pretty much have the training down, but i know two things about the other two styles, jack and shit. Im just looking for an all out attacking/ambushing rogue with maybe the only alternate skill i would like would be pickpocket.

any suggestions on training path or any links that i can read up on would be greatly appreciated.

Bobmuhthol
09-11-2004, 08:27 PM
If you're going to be completely combat, I suggest:

1x armor
2x CM
2x twohand
1x ambush
2x PF
2x dodge
3x hiding
2x perception

Jolena
09-11-2004, 08:27 PM
I gave up lockpicking on my rogue when GSIV came out in favor of more combat type skills. However I stuck with OHE and ambushing. I might later on think about archery but for now it's just OHE and a tad of MOC.

MrThorbizzle
09-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Go archery...rogue archers are apparently uber now. If you have a neat katana or something feel free to go THW.

Gan
09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Here's some ideas...

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=6782&page=1

Artha
09-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Archery for rogues is bad. You'll never, ever be as fast or as strong as a ranger with 606 and 608 up. Bob's plan is decent, but I'd 3x dodging, 2x hiding, 1x perception, stop armor at 30 ranks, 1.5x CM, and 1x survival and FA or get 20ish ranks of scrolls and some climbing.

Drew
09-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah, Artha knows what he's talking about I think, I'd go 3x dodging as well, but, depending on what you think the hiding/armour changes will mean, you might bring armour training up to 60 or so. I think Torso/double chain will have a very small penalty. With 60 ranks you can wear up to augmented.

MPSorc
09-12-2004, 07:03 AM
hmm, seems there are alot of decisions still, but im really leaning towards the two handed weapon route, now if i start selling off excess equipment i can probably gather up around 10 mil maybe a little more depending on what all i sell, what kinda two handed weapon you guys think i can round up with that seemingly small ammount of silvers?

Artha
09-12-2004, 07:10 AM
There was a 7x exceptionally damage weighted flail for (I think) 7m on crystalamulet.com awhile ago. You could track that down, seems like a pretty good weapon.

MPSorc
09-12-2004, 07:37 AM
think i might try to track that down, looks like a nice weapon indeed

Artha
09-12-2004, 07:52 AM
a scarlet golvern twin flail
A thick heavy chain covered with nicks and scratches from an untold number of conflicts bind a pair of fat golvern foot long cylinders to an extended wooden handle. Imposing steel nails poke out from each cylinder from top to bottom, with some of them exhibiting heavy damage from extended use. A scarlet leather strap wraps tightly down the long handle, ending in a brass lion head, frozen in mid-roar. You also notice a small enchanter's mark.
It's 7x and exceptionally damage weighted with breakage of 84/249.
Meldikar (MightyMaxperson@aol.com)

That's what it looks like, it was auctioned on the 2000 airship. I doubt that the owner's info is correct now, though.

Gan
09-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Now that silent strike has been released I'll probably ditch archery with the next fixskills release and try two handed with my rogue.

Decisions, decisions....

Artha
09-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Staying hidden doesn't matter that much when you kill, stun, or leg the thing on the first shot about 90% of the time.

Drektor
09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Go with Two Weapons and use two flaring daggers.

Drektor
09-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Also weapon precision makes undead hunting with daggers real good, with many having puncture-proof shielding.

fallenSaint
09-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Not that I have room to talk because Im one of the crowd but I think two handed rogue would be a nice change since there arent too many of them about... Id offer training opinion but seems thats been covered already.

Parkbandit
09-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by MPSorc Im just looking for an all out attacking/ambushing rogue with maybe the only alternate skill i would like would be pickpocket.

MAYBE? :(

Personally, if Falgrin didn't have his cleaver, he would be a 2 handed weapon user.

Artha
09-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I wish I had the extra points for pickpocketing :(

StrayRogue
09-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Originally posted by MPSorc Im just looking for an all out attacking/ambushing rogue with maybe the only alternate skill i would like would be pickpocket.

MAYBE? :(

Personally, if Falgrin didn't have his cleaver, he would be a 2 handed weapon user.

Fucking everyone is turning into a Stay clone.

I'd go with TWC. Fantastically fast and fun, and perhaps the best combat method at high levels.

Drew
09-12-2004, 05:14 PM
I have to agree with Stray here, since we both play two handed users as our main characters, that says a bit.

I think two-weapon is a superior choice to two-handed in most cases, except at low level where DS seems to be shite even compared to two-handed.

Crit randomization really helped out two weapon users. If I was going to reroll I'd probably roll up an elf with a ridiculous dex/agi and pick up two fel hafters, I think that would be a pretty mean combo.