PDA

View Full Version : Mars

Vesi
08-26-2003, 10:38 PM
For all those astronomy freaks out there, don't forget to look.

Last time it was this close to earth was about 60,000 years ago. If you don't take advantage now, you'll have to wait another 60,000 years! The last time humans got a chance to view this Neanderthals roamed Europe.

Really cool with a telescope but you don't need one to get a look.

Vesi

imported_Kranar
08-27-2003, 12:53 AM
<< If you don't take advantage now, you'll have to wait another 60,000 years! >>

Well, more like 260 years, but yeah it was cool. It's the only visible object in the city actually.

Artha
08-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Where is it in the sky? I looked, but didn't see any red dots...figure I'm just not looking in the right spot.

imported_Kranar
08-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Look to the south-east. How much south-east you need to look depends on your location, but assuming you live in the U.S. in the eastern time zone, it's just ever so slightly south-east.

It will look like a star until you take a closer inspection, try using binoculars or a telescope if one is available.

Vesi
08-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Kranar
<< If you don't take advantage now, you'll have to wait another 60,000 years! >>

Well, more like 260 years, but yeah it was cool. It's the only visible object in the city actually.

Whoops. Yes you're right. I read it wrong. Lesson to me: don't rely on my memory because sometimes I'm just plain wrong. Keep that part under your hat though.;)

Vesi

Crazed Sylvan
08-27-2003, 03:02 PM
I think the mind is kind of funny about finding it too. If you know what you're looking for, you'll notice that it kind of has its red tinge to it. But if you've never done anything like stargazing before, you might miss it pretty easily. The red color doesn't register in the mind if you just pass it over.

Halfsilver
08-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Just went out to lauderdale beach with a set of binoculars to have a look.

Looking a little southwards towards miami--
It's impressive....you all should see it from the beach, looks like a red ball in the sky.

Brings back memories of that comet that passed our way several years back. Had a strange name. Hale-bopp, i think it was.
That was cool...was in the sky for months.

-grays

longshot
08-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Hale-bopp! You remember the cult where they all killed themselves to hitch a ride on the comet? What idiots!

Sorry... one should not make flippant comments about serious issues in the off-topic folder of an annonymous internet message board. I forgot.

My apologies to Spun Girl.

yatch.

Lord Whirlin
08-30-2003, 02:54 AM
Didn't a bunch of people kill themselves over Halley's Comet too?

Betheny
08-30-2003, 03:06 AM
There should be a cult IG. Get all the idiots to join it. They can send themselves demonic over the comet.

StrayRogue
08-30-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm game. Oh and I missed the damn thing. Bah.

Halfsilver
08-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
I'm game. Oh and I missed the damn thing. Bah.

Mars will be close for the rest of the week, I think, so go out tonight(if it's clear) and look southeast. You can't miss it.
;)

-grays

StrayRogue
08-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Cool, thanks.