PDA

View Full Version : Town in Colorado to vote on Drone ordinance

Atlanteax
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/us/colorado-town-drone-ordinance/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Deer Trail, Colorado (CNN) -- Phillip Steel, a resident of Deer Trail, Colorado, is ready to fight for the Old West values he feels are being threatened by drones.
Asked what exactly he's proposing to do when he sees an unmanned aircraft, Steel points his weapon to the sky.
"I am proposing to shoot it down," he said.
Deer Trail -- population 598 -- was scheduled to vote Tuesday on a measure that would allow its residents to hunt for federal drones and shoot them down, but Mayor Frank Fields said Tuesday that the vote has been postponed while a district court decides whether the ordinance is legal.

"I would shoot a drone down if it's peering in my window, scanning me, and it's within elevation where I can nail it," said Robert Copely, a resident.

More material for Larry, the Cable Guy.

Taernath
12-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Good luck shooting it down Phillip, these things operate thousands of feet in the air. They don't need to peep in your windows.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that would also be destruction of US Government property and he'd find himself in a Federal court.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that would also be destruction of US Government property and he'd find himself in a Federal court.

That only stops the tentative.

Taernath
12-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Good time to test out the 'I thought it was a really high-flying goose' defense.

kutter
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Unless the drone actually got footage of you shooting at it, would be fairly hard to prove you did it though. Might be a good reason to buy that Barrett I have been trying to convince myself to buy.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Unless the drone actually got footage of you shooting at it, would be fairly hard to prove you did it though. Might be a good reason to buy that Barrett I have been trying to convince myself to buy.

If they recovered the rounds that impacted, it'd be easy enough to find out who did it. That being said, the drones they spoke of using over the US are the type that fly so high up, you aren't hitting it with small arms.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM
If they recovered the rounds that impacted, it'd be easy enough to find out who did it.

Like I'll leave mine there after covertly disabling it and whatever tracking system it has.

Gonna be a rich underground for these, I'll bet

Tgo01
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
To be fair I'm pretty sure I'd shoot a drone too if it were right outside my window peeping in.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Like I'll leave mine there after covertly disabling it and whatever tracking system it has.

Heh, fucking with the drone after you take it down only leaves more evidence.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Heh, fucking with the drone after you take it down only leaves more evidence.

They'd never find it. I know you think you know everything, but you don't.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:17 PM
They'd never find it. I know you think you know everything, but you don't.

Uh, yeah they would. Have you ever fucked with a US Government aerial drone? Because in Afghan my platoon had one. You know where it is when it crashes. And these were the ones that were only worth about 50 grand. You don't think the Government can't track a 4 million dollar drone with sensitive technology on board? You don't think they don't have a basic GPS distress signal? You know, like every lifeboat on board a US Navy ship has?

Sorry, I know you think you know everything, but you don't.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Uh, yeah they would. Have you ever fucked with a US Government aerial drone? Because in Afghan my platoon had one. You know where it is when it crashes. And these were the ones that were only worth about 50 grand. You don't think the Government can't track a 4 million dollar drone with sensitive technology on board?

No, I don't.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
No, I don't.

Then you are blissfully ignorant. Especially since they'll no EXACTLY where it lost signal, since they aren't autonomous. Someone is controlling it.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Then you are blissfully ignorant. Especially since they'll no EXACTLY where it lost signal, since they aren't autonomous. Someone is controlling it.

You used a double negative. I was agreeing. However, unless they can get to the area before I've worked my magic and fled, they'll never find it.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
You used a double negative. I was agreeing. However, unless they can get to the area before I've worked my magic and fled, they'll never find it.

Do you know where items in the drone are to deactivate its guidance and GPS systems are though? It isn't a small thing either, it is over 1,000 pounds empty.

Not that it matters, you'll never hit it. It flys about 20,000 feet up in the air. You likely won't even see it, and even if you did, manage to and shoot it down, it will be falling that far and continuing to move forward so you'd have some distance to cover to find it.

Whirlin
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
The NSA is very interested in your response. Please continue.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
And yes, I've extensive experience with them. The uav guys dormed upstairs from us. Spent many a day at the air strip.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Do you know where items in the drone are to deactivate its guidance and GPS systems are though? It isn't a small thing either, it is over 1,000 pounds empty.

See above.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:29 PM
See above.

Pointless convo, honestly. The type of weapon it would take to hit them is pretty much illegal in the US.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:29 PM
The NSA is very interested in your response. Please continue.

Worked for them. I'm not worried.

Taernath
12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah well, I have more second-hand knowledge of drones than either of you.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Pointless convo, honestly. The type of weapon it would take to hit them is pretty much illegal in the US.

Wondered if my A2 would do the job, depending on height.

Tgo01
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
The type of weapon it would take to hit them is pretty much illegal in the US.

Like that would stop Wrathbringer. This is the man who fakes the registration sticker on his car and avoids paying just about every kind of tax and government fee imaginable.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah, he also worked for the NSA and knows all the components of MQ-1s.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM

An M16A2? Hell no. Do you mean an SA80? That could.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM

It really depends. We've done the math already on a bunch of these scenarios. Depending on the drone and normal air traffic in the area, LE drones would be forced to stay below 500 feet and that's a piece of cake shot with an A-2 provided you can do the math on time of flight and speed of target. We've even done the math on a mile high drone using a .338 Lapua, totally doable.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
It really depends. We've done the math already on a bunch of these scenarios. Depending on the drone and normal air traffic in the area, LE drones would be forced to stay below 500 feet and that's a piece of cake shot with an A-2 provided you can do the math on time of flight and speed of target. We've even done the math on a mile high drone using a .338 Lapua, totally doable.

Yeah, but as far as I know, the only drones that would possibly fly in that area are the Homeland Security ones, they fly more than a mile up.

Wrathbringer
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Like that would stop Wrathbringer. This is the man who fakes the registration sticker on his car and avoids paying just about every kind of tax and government fee imaginable.

Correct. I also know the right folks. I notice Gelston gets upset when someone calls his bs. Glad someone finally did.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Correct. I also know the right folks. I notice Gelston gets upset when someone calls his bs. Glad someone finally did.

What is my BS again? Stating that the Government tracks it drones and there are ways to figure out who shot it down?

kutter
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
A lot more than a a mile up, the ability to hit one with small arms is nil.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, but as far as I know, the only drones that would possibly fly in that area are the Homeland Security ones, they fly more than a mile up.

Right, and as I said, its totally dependent on the air traffic in the area. If you have a major airport in your area or a lot of normal military air traffic, that's going to inhibit anything law enforcement gets and keep them nice and close to you, whereas they're already flying Predators around through our area. You'd have to catch them on take off or landing to bring those down. I am not worried about the eye in the sky looking straight down as much as I would be the silly little cheap ones used by local PD to watch me through my windows.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Right, and as I said, its totally dependent on the air traffic in the area. If you have a major airport in your area or a lot of normal military air traffic, that's going to inhibit anything law enforcement gets and keep them nice and close to you, whereas they're already flying Predators around through our area. You'd have to catch them on take off or landing to bring those down. I am not worried about the eye in the sky looking straight down as much as I would be the silly little cheap ones used by local PD to watch me through my windows.

I imagine if that bill for that town ever passed, their LE wouldn't be flying drones though. I can't see it passing.

kutter
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM

That is not entirely correct, there are conditions that allow them to fly high in all areas. But it is some very specific circumstances that do not always exist.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 12:55 PM
That is not entirely correct, there are conditions that allow them to fly high in all areas. But it is some very specific circumstances that do not always exist.

And in conditions that don't allow for them to get above a mile, then there's an app for that.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
And in conditions that don't allow for them to get above a mile, then there's an app for that.

They turn on that invisibility cloak that some university said totally existed like 6 years ago. Actually, the best use of that crap would be for aerial vehicles.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
They turn on that invisibility cloak that some university said totally existed like 6 years ago. Actually, the best use of that crap would be for aerial vehicles.

Yeah, it exists. It's in use. It's amazing.

http://www.hyperstealth.com/

Gelston
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM

The quantum stealth thing?

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Yep. I know the pictures look hokey, but he's not allowed to show the actual tech video or photos. I watched an presentation by the CEO on the stuff back in 2011. They're made a tank disappear both to the eye and thermal signature. They also have uniforms made out of the stuff currently in use by super special forces ninja types. Shits legit.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Yep. I know the pictures look hokey, but he's not allowed to show the actual tech video or photos. I watched an presentation by the CEO on the stuff back in 2011. They're made a tank disappear both to the eye and thermal signature. They also have uniforms made out of the stuff currently in use by super special forces ninja types. Shits legit.

I remember seeing a video of them making a hmmwv disappear. It was pretty cool, but at that time if it moved it looked horrible.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM
I remember seeing a video of them making a hmmwv disappear. It was pretty cool, but at that time if it moved it looked horrible.

It has since been perfected. The Navy is interested in it so they can hide their ships. This stuff eliminates shadow too, which is important to the navy since a ship on the ocean can be camo'ed normally but the shadow is always there.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Pretty sweet. Wonder how much it weighs for human sized.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Pretty sweet. Wonder how much it weighs for human sized.

No more than the typical material for a uniform. It breathes well too. No electronics or anything. It can be used as a dye or paint.

Gelston
12-10-2013, 01:18 PM
One thing though... I wonder how would friendlies see each other? I can think of ways for ships, vehicles, and all that... But not for people. Maybe the Army Land Warrior Program will do something for that. I guess the could use the crap they use for Google Glass or whatever.

waywardgs
12-10-2013, 01:25 PM

From the website: "Scenario 6: A group of Canadian Battle Tanks in Quantum Stealth engage an enemy group of tanks, the only indication to the enemy of the Canadian Tanks location is the direction of the noise of the tanks engines and the sound of their guns firing. As the enemy looks through their targeting scopes to fire back, there is no indication on any sensor to where the Canadian tanks are located, nor can the enemy see the other Canadian tanks which are moving to flank them from the side and behind. As news spreads of an invisible Canadian army which can move without detection, the psychological effect on the enemy is devastating, they never know when or even if this invisible army has them targeted or surrounded. How can you hit a target you cannot see, how do you defend from the invisible?"

Hasn't the Canadian army always been "invisible"?

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 01:27 PM
One thing though... I wonder how would friendlies see each other? I can think of ways for ships, vehicles, and all that... But not for people. Maybe the Army Land Warrior Program will do something for that. I guess the could use the crap they use for Google Glass or whatever.

The idea of a bunch of tier one dudes tripping all over each other while trying to raid a house sounds pretty funny to me. I am sure they've worked it out.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
From the website: "Scenario 6: A group of Canadian Battle Tanks in Quantum Stealth engage an enemy group of tanks, the only indication to the enemy of the Canadian Tanks location is the direction of the noise of the tanks engines and the sound of their guns firing. As the enemy looks through their targeting scopes to fire back, there is no indication on any sensor to where the Canadian tanks are located, nor can the enemy see the other Canadian tanks which are moving to flank them from the side and behind. As news spreads of an invisible Canadian army which can move without detection, the psychological effect on the enemy is devastating, they never know when or even if this invisible army has them targeted or surrounded. How can you hit a target you cannot see, how do you defend from the invisible?"

Hasn't the Canadian army always been "invisible"?

A valid point.

Ker_Thwap
12-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm waiting for the "Stray Round Kills Child as Hillbilly Shoots at Drone" headline.

AnticorRifling
12-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm waiting for the "Stray Round Kills Child as Hillbilly Shoots at Drone" headline.

Think about what you just wrote, then ask yourself "What school?"

Jarvan
12-10-2013, 03:22 PM
It has since been perfected. The Navy is interested in it so they can hide their ships. This stuff eliminates shadow too, which is important to the navy since a ship on the ocean can be camo'ed normally but the shadow is always there.

Wait.. is this going to result in someone ending up in the future, and all the other navy personnel fused with the ship?

Methais
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM
To be fair I'm pretty sure I'd shoot a drone too if it were right outside my window peeping in.

I'd masturbate instead.

Tgo01
12-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd masturbate instead.

Well that is what I meant by shooting the drone...

Ker_Thwap
12-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Think about what you just wrote, then ask yourself "What school?"

I'm not getting it. Can I get a context clue? Is this some kind of obscure Mark Twain reference?

Methais
12-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not getting it. Can I get a context clue? Is this some kind of obscure Mark Twain reference?

I think he read that as "...hillbilly school shoots..."

I only think this because that's how I saw it at first glance. And because I'm always right.

Gelston
12-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Wait.. is this going to result in someone ending up in the future, and all the other navy personnel fused with the ship?

Yes. And in part two the Nazis will win WW2.