PDA

View Full Version : Bullying Social Experiment.

NinjasLeadTheWay
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I thought this was interesting. Sad. But interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisZTB4ZQxY

Buckwheet
12-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I thought it was interesting that individuals intervened more than the groups of people.

SpiffyJr
12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I figured people would intervene more in groups as well. Pretty typical response to what I expected, though. Most people don't give two shits as long as they're safe.

Sorcasaurus
12-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Haven't watched the video, but it's fairly normal for people to act/help/intervene less when in groups. Believe it's called the bystander effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect).

Buckwheet
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I guess I thought in a more progressive area as a college they would intervene more in a group. I am aware of the bystander effect which happened to me yesterday at lunch. A girl collapsed at Noodles and had a seizure and nobody helped her. There was a group of people in line around her just watching her seize and nobody even called 911. By the time I realized they were just sheep, and started to dial 911 another person had just done it.

In a different situation a man collapsed a couple years ago at a Menards while eating small candies. He bounced his face off the floor and not only did his glasses shatter and spill out into customer's path his candies flew everywhere. I immediately responded because there was blood everywhere but the check out girl yelled at me to get away from him. I thought she was calling 911, but it was just some internal cell phone like thing to call her manager. I eventually had to call 911 because minutes were going by and nobody was doing anything.

Ker_Thwap
12-06-2013, 10:04 AM
What an amazingly stupid "social experiment." Truly, it's an effective prank to inure people to bullying. The next time anyone who has watched this video sees real violence, they'll immediately question if they're being pranked.

Glitch
12-06-2013, 10:08 AM
What an amazingly stupid "social experiment." Truly, it's an effective prank to inure people to bullying. The next time anyone who has watched this video sees real violence, they'll immediately question if they're being pranked.

Maybe they'll intervene so they don't look like an idiot on the youtubes.

Atlanteax
12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm kinda surprised no one /popcorn while watching the bullying going on.

Editted to add: perhaps there were not much intervention because the bully was not white? 'Minorities' (and apologetic whites) are quick to jump up if they think there is any indication of racism.

irfuji
12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Yep, bystander affect. First responders are trained specifically about this. A less obvious case is the accident where a large group of people see it and they all assume someone else is calling 911. In groups everyone assumes someone else is going to help. Individuals know that they have to help because no one else is around.

What we were trained to do is to ID someone, say their name, and tell them specifically to call 911 while rendering aid.

Personally the second I see a punch thrown I'm taking the guy down...

Ker_Thwap
12-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe they'll intervene so they don't look like an idiot on the youtubes.

That also has a danger involved. You might think it's safe to confront a bully directly and somehow believe that they'll just back down, then quickly and painfully learn otherwise. I certainly don't have the answers on how to solve bullying in every circumstance, but this video isn't it.

Anecdote 1. When I was a scrawny 16 year old, my mentally slow friend Greg was kind of hanging around a pretty girl, because hope springs eternal and all that. Well, one day after work, this musclebound man shows up and starts pushing Greg around. We all started pleading with this guy to leave Greg alone because he was just this harmless slow kid, and no threat to him and his pretty girlfriend. One punch, Greg is unconscious on the ground. Had any of us intervened, I've zero doubt that there would have been two bodies on the ground. Self preservation and all that, I'm neither proud, nor ashamed of my response.

Anecdote 2. I heard some tires squealing from my third floor apartment. Looked out, a skinny teen and his little brother get out of the car and approach an idiot neighbor kid. I hear the "don't you ever hit my little brother again" noise. He punches the neighbor kid who falls like a sack of hammers. The little brother starts kicking him. I yell out the window "That's enough." They run back to their car and speed off. I tell the idiot neighbor kid. "Don't hit little kids." He nods and walks off.

Basically, you have to be aware of your capabilities, your level of commitment, your level of personal safety, and have a good idea of situational awareness before risking your life to intervene in a fight. Just jumping in and being the judge and jury immediately, you might end up helping the initial bully by mistake.

TLDR version. Me preaching.

Wrathbringer
12-06-2013, 11:53 AM
That also has a danger involved. You might think it's safe to confront a bully directly and somehow believe that they'll just back down, then quickly and painfully learn otherwise. I certainly don't have the answers on how to solve bullying in every circumstance, but this video isn't it.

Anecdote 1. When I was a scrawny 16 year old, my mentally slow friend Greg was kind of hanging around a pretty girl, because hope springs eternal and all that. Well, one day after work, this musclebound man shows up and starts pushing Greg around. We all started pleading with this guy to leave Greg alone because he was just this harmless slow kid, and no threat to him and his pretty girlfriend. One punch, Greg is unconscious on the ground. Had any of us intervened, I've zero doubt that there would have been two bodies on the ground. Self preservation and all that, I'm neither proud, nor ashamed of my response.

Anecdote 2. I heard some tires squealing from my third floor apartment. Looked out, a skinny teen and his little brother get out of the car and approach an idiot neighbor kid. I hear the "don't you ever hit my little brother again" noise. He punches the neighbor kid who falls like a sack of hammers. The little brother starts kicking him. I yell out the window "That's enough." They run back to their car and speed off. I tell the idiot neighbor kid. "Don't hit little kids." He nods and walks off.

Basically, you have to be aware of your capabilities, your level of commitment, your level of personal safety, and have a good idea of situational awareness before risking your life to intervene in a fight. Just jumping in and being the judge and jury immediately, you might end up helping the initial bully by mistake.

TLDR version. Me preaching.

Eyes, throat, groin. Most bullies have at least one of those, and it's a quick lesson in humility for them. Hate to have to teach your young children that, though. "Put out his eye and I be he leaves you alone."

Sorcasaurus
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I guess I thought in a more progressive area as a college they would intervene more in a group. I am aware of the bystander effect which happened to me yesterday at lunch. A girl collapsed at Noodles and had a seizure and nobody helped her. There was a group of people in line around her just watching her seize and nobody even called 911. By the time I realized they were just sheep, and started to dial 911 another person had just done it.

In a different situation a man collapsed a couple years ago at a Menards while eating small candies. He bounced his face off the floor and not only did his glasses shatter and spill out into customer's path his candies flew everywhere. I immediately responded because there was blood everywhere but the check out girl yelled at me to get away from him. I thought she was calling 911, but it was just some internal cell phone like thing to call her manager. I eventually had to call 911 because minutes were going by and nobody was doing anything.

Moments like those make me sad about some the people we share the world with.

I'm actually quite amazed at what people will not act on. I've seen a similar seizure incident on a sidewalk. People were more annoyed they had to navigate around the woman than interested in helping.

Ker_Thwap
12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Eyes, throat, groin. Most bullies have at least one of those, and it's a quick lesson in humility for them. Hate to have to teach your young children that, though. "Put out his eye and I be he leaves you alone."

Eh, I taught my girls not to fight, but if they "had" to fight as a last resort, to be brutally violent about it and END it as soon as possible by damaging the person. If you hit someone, expect to get hit back even harder. I think this, in part, kept them from getting in fights. I also taught them that these same techniques could be used on them. Don't assume that you'll teach a lesson in humility, as the bully is equally likely to go for the eyes, throat and groin. Gouge out someone's eye, and be prepared for them to return the favor and more. Any fight at all, is a fight for your life, don't enter into it lightly.

Sorcasaurus
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
...to fight as a last resort, to be brutally violent about it and END it as soon as possible by damaging the person. If you hit someone, expect to get hit back even harder....

This is the most important point when it comes to self preservation in instances violence is forced. Unfortunately it's also the mentality that leads to escalation and the involvement of weapons. :(

Taernath
12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Kind of a stupid experiment. The guys run in and start doing some PG-13 bullying for a few seconds, and I think most people are just surprised and trying to figure out what's going on. Also, lol at the guy saying getting put in a loose headlock is 'brutally beat'. Haven't I seen these two somewhere before?

AnticorRifling
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
That's a bully?

Tgo01
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Kind of a stupid experiment. The guys run in and start doing some PG-13 bullying for a few seconds, and I think most people are just surprised and trying to figure out what's going on.

That's what I thought during a lot of those scenes too. Most of the time he's just saying "Hey where's my paper? Did you do my paper?" Do bullies actually do that? Bully other kids to do their homework for them? I thought that was just in the movies. Are there really any college kids who bully other kids into doing their work for them to pass college? A lot of it seemed too obviously fake.

The scenes where it seemed more real (the one where he pushed the guy down and was on top of him and the other one where he said "I know where you live! I'll find you!") are the ones where people intervened. Maybe everyone else realized it was all fake. Although mostly it was the Asian kids who didn't interfere and they are smarter than everyone else so they must be onto something.

Also, lol at the guy saying getting put in a loose headlock is 'brutally beat'.

I chuckled at that part too. The guy was mostly just acting tough, he hardly even raised his voice at all then he says "Hey why did you just watch that guy get brutally beat"? Wait, what?

Taernath
12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
That's what I thought during a lot of those scenes too. Most of the time he's just saying "Hey where's my paper? Did you do my paper?" Do bullies actually do that? Bully other kids to do their homework for them? I thought that was just in the movies. Are there really any college kids who bully other kids into doing their work for them to pass college? A lot of it seemed too obviously fake.

I think if we could use Latrinsorm's Government Brain Scanning Initiative on the bystanders, we'd find the mode thought would be, 'Is this serious? Is someone really getting hassled for not doing someone else's homework?' followed by 'Is he supposed to be dressed like The Fonz?'

Taernath
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM
That's a bully?

Millennials can't even bully right!

Jeril
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I am to lazy to find the quote, but this sort of video could also lead to people doing stupid things like getting popcorn, maybe offering ideas to the bully, ect to be funny and not take this sort of things serious as well. I am pretty sure with the poor acting presented here that I wouldn't have taken it seriously at all.

subzero
12-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Kind of a stupid experiment. The guys run in and start doing some PG-13 bullying for a few seconds, and I think most people are just surprised and trying to figure out what's going on. Also, lol at the guy saying getting put in a loose headlock is 'brutally beat'. Haven't I seen these two somewhere before?

Those people weren't surprised. They turned their fuckin heads and picked up the pace.

cwolff
12-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Most of it looks like a drug dealer getting paid by a reluctant debtor. Is that technically bullying?

Seeing a lot of those bystanders were Asian made me think of this quote from Year of the Dragon

You must understand, Captain, to us, your Good Samaritan was a fool to risk the security of his family to help a stranger.

Glitch
12-06-2013, 02:47 PM
So an interesting note to the seizure conversation. I know two people with epilepsy and they both have told me multiple times that if they happen to have a seizure when I'm around to absolutely not call medics. Thankfully I've never had to make that decision. Their reasoning is that they're unable to cover the cost of an ambulance ride or paramedic bills, and that they expect a seizure to be over before any help would actually arrive.

In an actual situation, I probably would wind up calling an ambulance anyway, but they'd be pretty pissed at me afterwards.

Atlanteax
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Eh, I taught my girls not to fight, but if they "had" to fight as a last resort, to be brutally violent about it and END it as soon as possible by damaging the person. If you hit someone, expect to get hit back even harder. I think this, in part, kept them from getting in fights. I also taught them that these same techniques could be used on them. Don't assume that you'll teach a lesson in humility, as the bully is equally likely to go for the eyes, throat and groin. Gouge out someone's eye, and be prepared for them to return the favor and more. Any fight at all, is a fight for your life, don't enter into it lightly.

Most confrontations I had with bullies ended quickly with a quick punch to their nose, resulting in bleeding. I think it was the 'shock' (both at my standing up for myself, and that they're bleeding) that compelled them to then do a tactical retreat.

Buckwheet
12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
So an interesting note to the seizure conversation. I know two people with epilepsy and they both have told me multiple times that if they happen to have a seizure when I'm around to absolutely not call medics. Thankfully I've never had to make that decision. Their reasoning is that they're unable to cover the cost of an ambulance ride or paramedic bills, and that they expect a seizure to be over before any help would actually arrive.

In an actual situation, I probably would wind up calling an ambulance anyway, but they'd be pretty pissed at me afterwards.

How do they communicate that to other people if they are alone in a public place? It makes sense to tell your friends/caretakers what to do if something happens. They seriously wouldn't want you to call someone if they have a seizure and fall down stairs and break things?

Glitch
12-06-2013, 04:13 PM
How do they communicate that to other people if they are alone in a public place? It makes sense to tell your friends/caretakers what to do if something happens. They seriously wouldn't want you to call someone if they have a seizure and fall down stairs and break things?

Well an actual visible injury would cause me to reevaluate the situation. I'm (and I assume they) are referring to a "regular" seizure where they just fell on the ground, not down some stairs or an elevator shaft or what have you.

As far as communicating that to others, obviously they can't. But I can say I would think of their warnings to me if I came across another person in the same situation. Like I said, I'd probably call help anyway, but it's interesting that the few people I know with a condition explicitly tell everyone they meet to NOT call paramedics.

Buckwheet
12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
It is interesting, but its not something we want lots of people doing. I don't have epilepsy and the thought I could have a seizure and people would be like "oh hey leave that guy cause he won't want to pay a bill" is pretty unnerving.

subzero
12-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Well an actual visible injury would cause me to reevaluate the situation. I'm (and I assume they) are referring to a "regular" seizure where they just fell on the ground, not down some stairs or an elevator shaft or what have you.

As far as communicating that to others, obviously they can't. But I can say I would think of their warnings to me if I came across another person in the same situation. Like I said, I'd probably call help anyway, but it's interesting that the few people I know with a condition explicitly tell everyone they meet to NOT call paramedics.

I've heard the same from someone with epilepsy. I think the best he said you could do would be to do something to help'em not bite off his tongue if possible. Other than that, the seizure is expected to pass and I don't think paramedics can really do anything about it, so calling them just rings up a bill.