PDA

View Full Version : For-Profits Sue Government for Religious Reasons

Back
11-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Supreme Court To Take Up Controversial Birth Control Cases (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/26/supreme-court-hobby-lobby_n_4343794.html?ref=topbar)

The U.S. Supreme Court announced on Tuesday that it will take up the question of whether a for-profit company can refuse to cover contraception for its employees because of religious objections.

Dozens of companies have sued the Obama administration over a rule in the Affordable Care Act requiring most employers -- with the exception of churches and religious non-profits -- to cover the full range of contraceptives in their health insurance plans. The Supreme Court will hear the most high-profile case, filed by the Christian-owned craft supply chain Hobby Lobby, as well as Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius (http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/conestoga-wood-specialties-corp-v-sebelius/), a case filed by a Pennsylvania-based furniture company owned by a family of Mennonites. The cases will be heard together, likely in March 2014, with a decision expected in June.

Hobby Lobby's attorneys argue that the provision forces it to pay for four methods of contraception to which the owners morally object: the Plan B morning-after pill, an emergency contraceptive called Ella, and two different kinds of intrauterine devices (IUDs) that may sometimes work by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting into the uterus. Those who believe that life begins at fertilization consider those forms of birth control to be akin to abortion.

"As the federal government embarks on an unprecedented foray into health care replete with multiple overlapping mandates, few issues are more important than the extent to which the government must recognize and accommodate the religious exercise of those it regulates," Hobby Lobby's attorneys wrote to the Supreme Court in October.

While U.S. Appeals Courts have been split on whether to exempt for-profit companies from the contraception rule (http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/07/courts-split-on-contraception-law/), the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Hobby Lobby, concluding that "that the contraceptive-coverage requirement substantially burdens Hobby Lobby" and that the store should not be subject to fines for failing to comply.

The Department of Justice and numerous women's health advocacy organizations argue that emergency contraception is not abortion (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/health/research/morning-after-pills-dont-block-implantation-science-suggests.html?_r=0), that 99 percent of sexually active women (http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/charts-birth-control-statistics-catholics) use birth control in this country for both medical and family planning reasons, and that employers should not be able to cherry-pick which health benefits to cover for women.

"Should the court decide that this service is something bosses can decide for their employees, what else can bosses decide?" said Judy Waxman, vice president of health and reproductive rights at the National Women's Law Center. "Can they decide they don't want to cover vaccines or HIV medications? Can they say, 'I don't believe in these kinds of wage and hour rules?' To say, 'Yes, a corporation can impose its religion on employees' -- that can have very far-reaching implications."

If a company I worked for tried to impose it's religious beliefs on me I'd quit and find another job. However, as a citizen, I do expect fair labor laws to be enforced. Should a company be exempt from following a law for religious reasons? Absolutely not.

Tgo01
11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I actually agree with Back on this. Does this mean I'm actually wrong?

Jeril
11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I actually agree with Back on this. Does this mean I'm actually wrong?

I laughed at this. And not really, Back doesn't seem to be a bad guy just often misled and misguided.

Latrinsorm
11-26-2013, 01:50 PM
If Medicaid paying for outright abortions is Constitutional, how can this not be? Where does Hobby Lobby think their taxes go? Biden can only buy so many Camaros.

Buckwheet
11-26-2013, 02:02 PM
If Medicaid paying for outright abortions is Constitutional, how can this not be? Where does Hobby Lobby think their taxes go? Biden can only buy so many Camaros.

Isn't that only for medically required abortions?

Further, Congress has since September 1976 restricted the use of federal funds for both therapeutic and nontherapeutic abortions by amendment to the annual appropriations bill. See McRae, 448 U.S. at 302, 100 S.Ct. at 2680. This amendment is commonly referred to as the "Hyde Amendment," and at the time the complaint was filed in this case, it restricted the use of federal funds to reimburse only those abortions necessary to save a woman's life. Dept. of Health and Human Serv. Appropriations Act of 1991, Pub.L. No. 102-170, § 203, 105 Stat. 1107 (1991).

In 1993, the Hyde Amendment was revised to expand the categories of abortions eligible for federal funds under Medicaid. Under this new law, the federal government also must provide abortions to Medicaid- eligible women who are the victims of rape or incest.

I believe this is the law in MN:

In general terms, the challenged provisions limit the availability of public funds for abortion services. Under Minnesota Statutes section 256B.057, subd. 1 (1994), pregnant women are eligible for MA "if countable family income is equal to or less than 275 percent of the federal poverty guideline for the same family size." No asset limitation applies to pregnant women. MA covers a wide range of pregnancy-related services including family planning services, history and physical exams, pregnancy tests, blood tests, ultrasound tests, pap smears and laboratory exams to detect fetal abnormalities. Minn.R. 9505.0280, subp. 1, 9505.0235, subp. 1 (1993). MA also covers medically- necessary prenatal care services including ongoing monitoring, nutrition counseling and education. Minn.R. 9505.0353, subp. 1 (1993). The challenged provisions impose limitations, however, on when MA/GAMC funds can be used to pay for abortions. Under Minnesota Statutes section 256B.0625, subd. 16, MA funds can be used only if one of the following conditions is met:

(a) The abortion is a medical necessity. "Medical necessity" means (1) the signed written statement of two physicians indicating the abortion is medically necessary to prevent the death of the mother, and (2) the patient has given her consent to the abortion in writing unless the patient is physically or legally incapable of providing informed consent to the procedure, in which case consent will be given as otherwise provided by law;

(b) The pregnancy is the result of criminal sexual conduct as defined in section 609.342, clauses (c), (d), (e)(i), and (f), and the incident is reported within 48 hours after the incident occurs to a valid law enforcement agency for investigation, unless the victim is physically unable to report *24 the criminal sexual conduct, in which case the report shall be made within 48 hours after the victim becomes physically able to report the criminal sexual conduct; or

(c) The pregnancy is the result of incest, but only if the incident and relative are reported to a valid law enforcement agency for investigation prior to the abortion.

Jarvan
11-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Medicaid really isn't supposed to be using Federal tax dollars for it. In fact, the Hyde amendment prohibits it. So not exactly sure how you can equate it.

Here is the thing.. Is the Federal Government going to tell the Catholic church that they have to pay for abortion coverage for their nuns? No, they are not. Where do you draw the line at is the question. If you ~KNOW~ you work for a religious company that does not cover contraceptives, isn't that your choice? No one is forcing you to work there.

Buckwheet
11-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Medicaid really isn't supposed to be using Federal tax dollars for it. In fact, the Hyde amendment prohibits it. So not exactly sure how you can equate it.

Here is the thing.. Is the Federal Government going to tell the Catholic church that they have to pay for abortion coverage for their nuns? No, they are not. Where do you draw the line at is the question. If you ~KNOW~ you work for a religious company that does not cover contraceptives, isn't that your choice? No one is forcing you to work there.

I don't believe the Hyde amendment prohibits it. It just limits what it can be used for. I posted that above.

Additionally:

The United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit recently has held that Colorado's voluntary participation in the federal Medicaid program requires that state to "do so on the terms established by Congress." Hern v. Beye, 57 F.3d 906, 913 (10th Cir.1995), cert. denied, Weil v. Hern, No. 95-701, ---U.S. ----, 116 S.Ct. 569, 133 L.Ed.2d 494 (U.S. Dec. 4, 1995). Therefore, Colorado's abortion funding restrictions under its medical assistance program can no longer limit funding to situations where the mother's life is in danger, but must provide funds for victims of rape or incest as well.