PDA

View Full Version : Who Killed Arafat?

ClydeR
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
They're sure he was murdered, but they don't know who done it.

PARIS — Swiss scientists who conducted tests on samples taken from Yasser Arafat’s body have found at least 18 times the normal levels of radioactive polonium in his remains. The scientists said they were confident up to an 83 percent level that the late Palestinian leader was poisoned with it, a conclusion that they said “moderately supports” polonium as the cause of his death.

More... (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/6/swiss-study-poloniumfoundinarafatasbones.html)

Polonium-210 is manufactured by bombarding the isotope bismuth-209 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. Only about 100 grams are produced each year, almost all in Russia.

In terms of motive, the chief suspects would be Arafat’s Palestinian rivals or the Israeli government, his sworn enemy. Ariel Sharon, the prime minister in 2004, viewed Arafat as a “terrorist” and called his death "a turning point in Middle Eastern history.” A year earlier, then-Deputy Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said killing Arafat ''is definitely one of the options.”

However, Israel has always vehemently denied it had anything to do with his sickness or death, and to date no evidence has emerged that implicates it.

While Barclay expressed confidence in the cause of death, he said it would be a difficult case to solve.

Gelston
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Weren't the Russians linked to the death of that one former KGB guy in the UK? I am pretty sure they used radiation, and I think it was Polonium-210, poisoning to kill him also.

Wrathbringer
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Though widely believed to be responsible for Arafat's death in some way, shape or form, George W. Bush remains at large to this day.

cwolff
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Though widely believed to be responsible for Arafat's death in some way, shape or form, George W. Bush remains at large to this day.

As long as he doesn't leave the U.S. He is a convicted war criminal after all.

Tgo01
11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
As long as he doesn't leave the U.S. He is a convicted war criminal after all.

Sarcasm I hope.

As to the title of this thread my answer is: Professor Plum.

Drew
11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Weren't the Russians linked to the death of that one former KGB guy in the UK? I am pretty sure they used radiation, and I think it was Polonium-210, poisoning to kill him also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko

cwolff
11-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Sarcasm I hope.

As to the title of this thread my answer is: Professor Plum.

A little bit of sarcasm. He is a convicted war criminal but getting him to the jail is a daunting prospect.

Tgo01
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
A little bit of sarcasm. He is a convicted war criminal but getting him to the jail is a daunting prospect.

A) He is not a convicted war criminal.
B) He is not "afraid" to leave the US, he has left the US numerous times since leaving office.
C) Are you for real man? :/

cwolff
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
A) He is not a convicted war criminal.
B) He is not "afraid" to leave the US, he has left the US numerous times since leaving office.
C) Are you for real man? :/

I know nothing will come of this but he has been convicted of war crimes and others are still working (futilely I'm sure) to bring to bring him to international justice. His travel has also been curtailed because of this though I believe he has made at least one trip outside the US since he left office. For example, in 2011, he cancelled a trip to Switzerland because of the possibility of prosecution.

(Reuters) - Former President George W. Bush has canceled a visit to Switzerland, where he was to address a Jewish charity gala, due to the risk of legal action against him for alleged torture, rights groups said on Saturday.

Bush was to be the keynote speaker at Keren Hayesod's annual dinner on February 12 in Geneva. But pressure has been building on the Swiss government to arrest him and open a criminal investigation if he enters the Alpine country.

Criminal complaints against Bush alleging torture have been lodged in Geneva, court officials say.

Archigeek
11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't see where you're getting "convicted" out of that.

More importantly, who killed Arafat? It's actually a very interesting question, but we may never know the answer.

Tgo01
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I know nothing will come of this but he has been convicted of war crimes

Please name one legitimate court where Bush was convicted of war crimes.

His travel has also been curtailed because of this though I believe he has made at least one trip outside the US since he left office.

He has traveled outside of the US several times since leaving office. Off the top of my head he has visited Canada, Haiti and at least two African countries.

For example, in 2011, he cancelled a trip to Switzerland because of the possibility of prosecution.

Bullshit. It was a bunch of whiners with no power asking the Swiss government to arrest Bush on war crimes because this organization said so. You act as if there was some sort of legitimacy behind these talks of arrest or something. There wasn't. Just like there hasn't been a single legitimate conviction of Bush for war crimes.

cwolff
11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't see where you're getting "convicted" out of that.

More importantly, who killed Arafat? It's actually a very interesting question, but we may never know the answer.

It's got to be Israeli's right? I don't believe Russia had an incentive to kill him and they've also proven to be pretty clumsy when they use that poison.

Google bush war crimes and you'll find some information about this. Like I said, nothing will come of this. Obama and the DOJ even granted immunity to Bush and his crew from another trial brought by a Jordanian woman.

In the first trial of its kind ever, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, William Haynes, Jay Bybee, and John Yoo were convicted in Malaysia, for torture and inhumane degrading treatment of people.

This trial was the work of Malaysia’s ex Prime Minister Mahuthir Mohamad. The trial went over and received testimony from people like ex-Guantanamo detainees, an Iraqi woman who was tortured in the Abu Ghraib prison, and many other victims of the criminal Bush Administration. The prosecutors say its just he beginning, the Obama administration’s prosecution is coming too.

War crimes expert and lawyer Francis Boyle of the University of Illinois was part of the prosecution team. Francis Boyle says he hopes similar trials will be carried out around the world, and that they likely will. The citizens of the world can and will prosecute these war criminals before they do worse.

As for past attempts at getting George Bush, Boyle says “I’ve tried to get bush indicted three times in Canada with Canadian lawyers, and then in Switzerland, where we scared Bush out of making a speech because he feared prosecution. ” Clearly, these criminals are scared, and they are more then likely using intelligence agencies of the US to ensure their own safety from the prosecution they deserve.

The court also heard testimony from people such as Abbas Abia’s, a 48 yr old engineer from Fallujah, Iraq, who had his fingernails removed with pliers, Ali Shalal, who was connected to bare electrical wires and electrocuted while being hung from a wall, and Jameelah, who was stripped nude, humiliated, and used as a human shield while on a helicopter. So as this goes to show, US forces were using people as human shields too, possibly more than the famously alleged “suicide bombers using women and children as human shields”.

Dick Cheney says in his own biography that he fears being prosecuted as a war criminal, and that, he will face more than likely. Justice is coming, and the world will no longer stand for these crimes against humanity. This is just he beginning- the Bush Administration will be prosecuted, and the Obama Administration is next, as these top war crimes prosecutors insist.

cwolff
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Bullshit. It was a bunch of whiners with no power asking the Swiss government to arrest Bush on war crimes because this organization said so. You act as if there was some sort of legitimacy behind these talks of arrest or something. There wasn't. Just like there hasn't been a single legitimate conviction of Bush for war crimes.

The only thing that makes an action legitimate as you say, is having the power to enforce it. We do illegitimate stuff all the time but no one can fuck with us about it because we're too powerful. If we weren't so powerful a) we wouldn't do this stuff or b) we'd get hammered over it.

Parkbandit
11-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I know nothing will come of this but he has been convicted of war crimes and others are still working (futilely I'm sure) to bring to bring him to international justice. His travel has also been curtailed because of this though I believe he has made at least one trip outside the US since he left office. For example, in 2011, he cancelled a trip to Switzerland because of the possibility of prosecution.

Holy fuck.. you are retarded.

Tgo01
11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
The only thing that makes an action legitimate as you say, is having the power to enforce it.

That and actually being recognized as a legitimate (in this case) court by anyone. I don't think a single country or official entity recognizes "The Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal" as an actual court or takes their decisions seriously. They have no power to arrest people, they have no power to sentence anyone, I'm pretty sure they even admit the only thing they do if they convict someone of a crime is to publish their name and make it known that they have convicted someone of a war crime.

This would be like if a bunch of red necks in Texas decided to form a court for the sole purpose of convicting Obama of being a Muslim born terrorist. No one except right wing lunatics would take their verdict seriously and Obama sure as hell wouldn't be "afraid" to travel abroad because of their verdict or their efforts to get foreign nations to arrest him.

cwolff
11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
That and actually being recognized as a legitimate (in this case) court by anyone. I don't think a single country or official entity recognizes "The Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal" as an actual court or takes their decisions seriously. They have no power to arrest people, they have no power to sentence anyone, I'm pretty sure they even admit the only thing they do if they convict someone of a crime is to publish their name and make it known that they have convicted someone of a war crime.

There would be like if a bunch of red necks in Texas decided to form a court for the sole purpose of convicting Obama of being a Muslim born terrorist. No one except right wing lunatics would take their verdict seriously and Obama sure as hell wouldn't be "afraid" to travel abroad because of their verdict or their efforts to get foreign nations to arrest him.

I agree. This is not the Hague or anything and there just isn't the will out there to bring a former U.S. President to trial nor does anyone in the World have nearly the kind of power it would take to make this happen.

Gelston
11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
In the court of Gelston, I hereby find you all guilty of war crimes.

There, you are now all convicted war criminals.

cwolff
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
In the court of Gelston, I hereby find you all guilty of war crimes.

There, you are now all convicted war criminals.

I'm in Kuala Lumpur and out of your jurisdiction.

Gelston
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm in Kuala Lumpur and out of your jurisdiction.

Quiet, war criminal.

Parkbandit
11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
If cwolff honestly believes that George W is a war criminal, I'm sure he feels the same way about Obama.

Archigeek
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't think it's obviously Israel, though they're certainly suspect. There was no shortage of infighting in Palestine. It could have just as easily been Hamas or someone wanting to take over the PLO... or it could have been his wife, who waited how many years to have this done? You have to question why she waited this long. It's rather suspicious.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
11-07-2013, 04:53 PM
It was the one armed man.

Androidpk
11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
It was the one armed man.

Acting in concert with the blind sniper and one legged ninja?

Parkbandit
11-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't think it's obviously Israel, though they're certainly suspect. There was no shortage of infighting in Palestine. It could have just as easily been Hamas or someone wanting to take over the PLO... or it could have been his wife, who waited how many years to have this done? You have to question why she waited this long. It's rather suspicious.

I agree. Israel didn't have that much to gain by his death.. others in the PLO had more of a motive.

Warriorbird
11-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Russian oil oligarch.

ClydeR
11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Would it aid the investigation to know who tried to kill Arafat in the past? And how many times they tried?