PDA

View Full Version : Man, I love the Russians

09-07-2004, 10:25 AM
I think we all remember when the Chechen terrorists took over that school and many innocent children and adults were killed, well, the Russians responded (unlike here where people would be screaming about the terrorists' civil rights.)

In the Boston Globe I read a rather interesting article. Russian military forces, at the break of dawn, stormed the houses of the families and the extended families of the terrorists and their leaders. Arresting them and taking them into "protective custody."

The Russians managed to arrest fathers, grandfathers, mothers, sisters, nephews, ect. and pretty much sent a clear message to the terrorists, "We know where your families are." (Boston Globe).

Reading this made me grin. Thank God that at least one country knows how to deal with these people.

- Arkans

StrayRogue
09-07-2004, 10:27 AM
This is why the conflict will never end. Just like it never will in Ireland, etc.

Nieninque
09-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
I think we all remember when the Chechen terrorists took over that school and many innocent children and adults were killed, well, the Russians responded (unlike here where people would be screaming about the terrorists' civil rights.)

In the Boston Globe I read a rather interesting article. Russian military forces, at the break of dawn, stormed the houses of the families and the extended families of the terrorists and their leaders. Arresting them and taking them into "protective custody."

The Russians managed to arrest fathers, grandfathers, mothers, sisters, nephews, ect. and pretty much sent a clear message to the terrorists, "We know where your families are." (Boston Globe).

Reading this made me grin. Thank God that at least one country knows how to deal with these people.

- Arkans

And compare that with the US authorities who picked up all the members of the Bin Laden family, flew them by chartered jet when all other planes were grounded and took them to a destination of their choice :thumbsup:

Hulkein
09-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Bin laden has like 85 brothers, most of whom are law abiding individuals who publically denounce his actions.

Chadj
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
The Russians have always been able to deal well with terrorists, cause in many cases, they are pretty ruthless. And I don't care what you think, being ruthless is the fastest way to rid yourself of terrorists (Even though human lives WILL be lost this way).

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-07-2004, 10:34 AM
ah... the Russians

www.goodwife.com

Parkbandit
09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Why should I be held responsible for what my adult kids or grandkids do? I pay my taxes, vote, abide by the law...

StrayRogue
09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Eh? No it isn't. If being ruthless was the quickest and best way to get rid of terrorists, the atrocity at the school would never have happened. The more you squeeze, the more slips through your fingers. Russia's actions in response to the school shootings may well be justified in many people's eyes, but it's only going to create more resentment among the Chechen people. Just as Hulkein said, Bin Laden's brothers had nothing to do with Bin Laden's beliefs. Who says the families of these nut jobs weren't the same? Evil begets evil.

Nieninque
09-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Bin Laden's family at the least were suspects in a crime. They were whisked out of there pretty damn quick, ragardless of any potential they had for being involved.

DeV
09-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Stray is correct. Who suffers the most in warfare: Cvilians. Who suffers least: Those in power who are manufacturing these wars. Violent acts such as this only bring about more bloodshed. These terrorists will continue to think of even more horrific ways to go about killing citizens to send their messages of hate. It's a neverending cycle.

Latrinsorm
09-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
If being ruthless was the quickest and best way to get rid of terrorists, the atrocity at the school would never have happened.:yes:

Also, I thought you guys had a ceasefire with the Irish? What happened to that?

StrayRogue
09-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Theres always minor ceasefires. All it takes is some fucking idiot to go and fuck it up though. Occasionally it spills over to this country as well. Fucking Irish.

Chyrain
09-07-2004, 01:48 PM
so move to russia. i don't think anyone here would try to stop you.

imported_Kranar
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
<< The Russians have always been able to deal well with terrorists, cause in many cases, they are pretty ruthless. >>

The Russians have done the job of the terrorists for them.

The Russians killed their own people by gasing them in the theater when the Chechen Rebels invaded, and with this school incident it's possible that the Russian army are the ones who triggered the bombs in the gym to go off killing so many of the children. Of course that may not be the case, but we'll find out in the upcoming weeks.

The Russians are doing such a piss poor job of ending this conflict that even the Russians now fear their own army when dealing with a terrorist crisis.

Carl Spackler
09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Blow shit up first, ask questions later.

Carl Spackler
09-07-2004, 02:58 PM
In other words, blow them to hell and let god sort out the body parts.

09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
<< The Russians have always been able to deal well with terrorists, cause in many cases, they are pretty ruthless. >>

The Russians have done the job of the terrorists for them.

The Russians killed their own people by gasing them in the theater when the Chechen Rebels invaded, and with this school incident it's possible that the Russian army are the ones who triggered the bombs in the gym to go off killing so many of the children. Of course that may not be the case, but we'll find out in the upcoming weeks.

The Russians are doing such a piss poor job of ending this conflict that even the Russians now fear their own army when dealing with a terrorist crisis.

Kranar,

I'm wondering how you would deal with the theater situation. That place was wired to go. Use tear gas? Well, that stuff still won't stop someone from pushing the button.

Go in guns blazing? The place still gets taken out and many more hostages die. Try to talk to the terrorists? I thought the policy was not to negotiate with terrorists (A policy that Russia strictly sticks to.)

Give in to the Chechens and lose part of their country and prove that terrorism works? I think that plan isn't the best one either. The Russians have a very different way of dealing with terror than we do and the methods are quite effective. Arresting the families gives a clear message, "We know where your families are, think of them before you act.".

The only reason I would venture that the terrorists have such a high kill count against civilians and soldiers is that just about every man there has military training due to the mandatory military service. We laugh about the old Soviet soldier being ill-equipped, but I know a few. Those guys recieve hardcore training.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
09-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
The Russians are doing such a piss poor job of ending this conflict that even the Russians now fear their own army when dealing with a terrorist crisis. As I was doing some homework earlier, I came across an article on CNN.com that was headlined something like "Russians protest school siege". Counterintuitively (at least for me) they were marching in support of Putin and the government's action.
The Russians have a very different way of dealing with terror than we do and the methods are quite effective. Please enlighten me as to the last time a faction of our country besieged and blew up a school.

09-07-2004, 04:17 PM
I never implied that that happened. I only stated their methods were effective.

- Arkans

Jack
09-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque
Bin Laden's family at the least were suspects in a crime. They were whisked out of there pretty damn quick, ragardless of any potential they had for being involved.

How were the members of his family suspects? They don't support him, and they've condemned his actions. They do not provide him with financial support. He uses his own money. Also, they were flown out on the day the ban on flights lifted, not before, and on a plane they chartered themselves. Start thinking for youreself, rather than letting Michael Moore do your thinking for you.

Latrinsorm
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I never implied that that happened. I only stated their methods were effective.Yep, my bad.

Caiylania
09-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Fucking Irish.

:(

<--- the half Irish with family in Ireland.

Ravenstorm
09-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I never implied that that happened. I only stated their methods were effective.

We can see how effective violent countermeasures are just by looking at Israel and the Palestinians. They're doing such a great job of it. Why, they're likely to have that entire situation resolved any century now.

Raven

09-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Their situation is a bit different (Israel).

- Arkans