PDA

View Full Version : Spells that should be changed.

Parkbandit
08-26-2003, 03:41 PM
I hate minor sanctuary.

I hate the fact that a simple empath or cleric of only 13 trainings can impose their absolute will on an entire area.

I'm not as angry about the no stealing as I am the no hiding believe it or not.

I was doing guild reps in my park last night when some cleric came in, cast a sanctuary and then meditated. I understand why he did it.. heh.. I hear there are thieves that hang around in my park... but still it was annoying. I had to utilize my ability to hide in order to perform guild reps... and he prevented me from doing so. I was able to talk this fella out of doing it by taking away his ability to properly meditate :smug: but it was still annoying.

-Falgrin

[Edited on 8-26-2003 by Parkbandit]

Mistomeer
08-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Couldn't agree more, and I'm a cleric. I think it should be age based on whether or not you can break someone's sanct.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Whisper to them or poke them til they leave.

Artha
08-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Drag him north, then steal everything he has, and then drag him back after a minute or two.

Scott
08-26-2003, 03:49 PM
There is still the guy that starts trouble casting at people and crap, then hides behind a sanct. What's also sucks is that empaths/clerics do it because they can sit back and cast bind. I remember watching a cleric starting trouble with this rogue. So he sancts, binds the rogue, runs north, sanct drops, then the cleric kills him. It should be dispellable or something....

Artha
08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Self-cast curse with nothing in the hands should drop it.

I don't read the sorcerer boards on the official boards, so someone else can suggest it.

Dighn Darkbeam
08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
I know exactly what your saying. I have recently been stuck in a Sanctuary for quite some time.

Ways to get around it.

1. Silence. Excellent spell, learn to read scrolls.
2. Sleep. Sleep anyone that wakes the person up too.
3. Webbing stops poking rather well.
4. Living rune. Does damage, can kill.
5. Drag and disable. Works well in some situations.
6. Know a sorcerer in GS4. Minor Summoning will have an effect on sanctuaries. What exact effect is unknown at this time.

There are always options.

Kris na Su'ta

Betheny
08-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Minor sanct should not be a room-affect spell. I think it should be like bard spellsongs and affect only the person or persons in your group. As in, places a peaceful aura around them. Can't attack/be attacked, steal or be stolen from. It'd be nice if it could be dispelled by something other than moving rooms (as it stands now): I guess spirit dispel would work.

Zir
08-26-2003, 04:32 PM
As long as we're ranting about spells, what about boil earth? Now that spell is pure BS.

Scott
08-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Zir
As long as we're ranting about spells, what about boil earth? Now that spell is pure BS.

What's wrong with it?

Parkbandit
08-26-2003, 04:40 PM
That bard's song also has the same effect on the entire room he is in, but the good thing about that song is a rogue can chop him in the throat to make it stop.

Betheny
08-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Yeah, but I'm talking about an effect like Kai's Triumph or something, that only effects the group... etc etc.

draconis nematoda
08-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Clerics that meditate in public areas should be abused by anyone and everyone near by.

My cleric never meditates in public, unless there is an invasion going on and I need to get his spirit back up really fast. And then I beg everyon'es indulgence before doing it.

It's completly unrealistic for someone to be in a meditative state while they are surrounded by throngs of people milling by.

The spell doesn't need fixing, it's the mindset of people who cast it that does.

Ray

Scott
08-27-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by draconis nematoda
Clerics that meditate in public areas should be abused by anyone and everyone near by.

My cleric never meditates in public, unless there is an invasion going on and I need to get his spirit back up really fast. And then I beg everyon'es indulgence before doing it.

It's completly unrealistic for someone to be in a meditative state while they are surrounded by throngs of people milling by.

The spell doesn't need fixing, it's the mindset of people who cast it that does.

Ray

It does need fixing. I personally believe that any spell that can effect anyone, regardless of train should be changed. This includes dispell as well. It's such an abused spell and it would be quite simple to make it so it was level based, and it would be realistic..... Spike was changed to reflect this problem, I'm hoping that sanct and dispell reflect this as well.

Betheny
08-27-2003, 06:52 AM
How do you not meditate in public?

You can't meditate at tables anymore. I don't belong to a house, so the only place I can even go to meditate that isn't considered a 'public' area would be the cleric's guild.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 07:55 AM
*Nod* If I see a cleric of evil/Lornon alignment meditating (ie, furthering the cause of darkness) in Public, I pester them etc. There are plenty of places to go; meditation chambers, niche's, the dark tower in the Landing, etc. If you can't find a private spot in any of the cities, then I question your abilities as a player.

Parkbandit
08-27-2003, 07:58 AM
The whole idea of a cleric kneeling in the middle of a busy park where people are screaming, casting spells, bumping into people is ludicrous.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 08:00 AM
*nod* So is the whiny attitude most clerics have when they get knocked out of their Power-hunter trance. Ah well.

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 08:02 AM
OOC: StrayRogue I am mildly retarded so I didn't read your post but I am responding anyway.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Bobmuhthol innocently asks, "Warclaidhm, can I touch your mattok?"

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
My life-long dream has been to touch Warclaidhm's mattock and Bobmuhthol is superior.

I hate you.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
[quote] You are my hero.

I know.

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 08:11 AM
I don't know a fucking thing about quoting people because I'm a little n00b bitch. I should also be shot in the face.

I know.

[Edited on 8-27-2003 by Bobmuhthol]

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol's Dad

I hate my son. He is such a disappointment. Its why I left Sharlene in her trailer when he was just a boy, and went back to truck driving for a living. He was just too little, too weak, and his obsession with punctuation, grammar and spelling just made me want to crush his retarded face in.

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 08:14 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

CrystalTears
08-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Guys, cut it out please.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Lol, sorry. We are just playing PWN the bitch. I am winning.

draconis nematoda
08-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
How do you not meditate in public?

You can't meditate at tables anymore. I don't belong to a house, so the only place I can even go to meditate that isn't considered a 'public' area would be the cleric's guild.

And the problem with this is what again? You have to walk your character an extra 5 or 6 rooms away to meditate in peace?
:rolleyes:

What a hardship.

CrystalTears
08-27-2003, 01:04 PM
So is the problem sleeping in public in general or just where it's busy? Seeing as how I just started playing a cleric I have her meditating in a quieter spot around the well. Is that okay or is that frowned upon too? I don't want to make a meditating faux pas. :D

Taernath
08-27-2003, 01:48 PM
It doesn't matter where you meditate, if you weren't meant to meditate in public you wouldn't be able to.

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Right on.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Yeah you can meditate anywhere you want. Just like I can poke, throw things at and generally annoy anyone in my vicinity.

HarmNone
08-27-2003, 07:24 PM
I always took my cleric to a private area to meditate. It made sense to me from a roleplaying standpoint that one could not meditate in a noisy, very public area. It also seemed the polite thing to do from an OOC point of view.

I would think that any room where traffic is low (like housing areas) would be fine for such uses, as would the guild or a room in one of the inns, etc.

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Thats a good viewpoint Harmnone. If I found someone Meditating in some corner somewhere, I don't bother them.

Taernath
08-28-2003, 12:46 AM
Yeah you can meditate anywhere you want. Just like I can poke, throw things at and generally annoy anyone in my vicinity.

True, but then you'll find yourself bound and silenced until I finish meditating.

Parkbandit
08-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Taernath
It doesn't matter where you meditate, if you weren't meant to meditate in public you wouldn't be able to.

Do you not find it a bit out of character to go to a crowded place where people are standing around, walking through, talking, shouting, fighting, etc... and to kneel down and meditate? Do you not think there would be a better place? Heck, go one block west of the park and there is a garden niche that is more suited for your meditation needs.

The reason the player did meditate in the park was 'because he can' and he did it to impose his will on others around him.

Terrorize
08-28-2003, 10:11 AM
I think that minor Sanct should be a combination of Spell Rank based and depending on how many people are in the area. Like for every 3 ranks of the spell you can sanct an area with 1 person. So at 13 ranks you could sanct an area with 4 people in it. Makes sense to me.

AnticorRifling
08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I don't bother anyone meditating anywhere. I do bother folks that walk in and minor sanct for no damn reason. Same with idiots that point for no reason. I agree that no lvl 13 cleric should be able to flex his or her will upon me by making the room unhidable it's crap. If that's the case I should be allowed to make the room and the few joining it un-livable by meteor swarming and not go to jail.

Drew2
09-04-2003, 04:43 PM
A bard almost got his ass handed to him for singing Song of Noise in TC today. That did not make me happy. At all. That spell needs to go.

Betheny
09-05-2003, 01:00 AM
*Nod* If I see a cleric of evil/Lornon alignment meditating (ie, furthering the cause of darkness) in Public, I pester them etc. There are plenty of places to go; meditation chambers, niche's, the dark tower in the Landing, etc. If you can't find a private spot in any of the cities, then I question your abilities as a player.

You totally need to mess with Maimara. :saint:

Betheny
09-05-2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Bobmuhthol's Dad

I hate my son. He is such a disappointment. Its why I left Sharlene in her trailer when he was just a boy, and went back to truck driving for a living. He was just too little, too weak, and his obsession with punctuation, grammar and spelling just made me want to crush his retarded face in.

Jesus, you're mean!!!