PDA

View Full Version : pumping gas

Gan
09-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Recently returned from a trip to Portland, OR and I must say...

1. Damn it rains alot. I love rainy days.
2. The temperature was a full 20 degrees cooler than here in Houston.
3. While re-fueling my rental car for return to the airport I was advised by the gas-station attendant that there are NO self serve gas stations in Oregon. WTF??? As a result of this I paid a full 20 cents more a gallon (equivalent of a full service gas station here in Texas) over the price of a self-service gas station. Since I expensed the gas it really did not effect me directly, but I was still disturbed at the limitation of pumping my own gas.

Is this a common practice in some states to limit gas stations to full-service only? If so is it for safety reaons? Income reasons?

Any ideas?

09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
wtf? No self-service? 20 cents? OREGON?!

Um, exprobably a good idea to BYOG the next time you venture down to the Oregon.

Nakiro
09-03-2004, 02:43 PM
:down: I wouldn't put up with that shit.

Jonty
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
What would you do about it?

Tirayana
09-03-2004, 02:46 PM
It's like that in Jersey too - can't pump your own gas.

Not sure exactly why. I assume it's because bad things happened when people pumped gas.

DeV
09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I haven't seen a self serve pump in Illinois in years so its definitely not something thats on the rise. My guess is it being for safety reasons.

Latrinsorm
09-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Nakiro
I wouldn't put up with that shit.Hope you bring a bike, then. :smilegrin:

kheldarin
09-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Down here in Hawaii there's only one place I know of that lets others pump gas for you. No price increase..hell you don't even have to tip them.

Soulpieced
09-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah, in New Jersey, people who pump gas at gas stations get an hourly wage and are not supposed to be tipped.

Souzy
09-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by kheldarin
Down here in Hawaii there's only one place I know of that lets others pump gas for you. No price increase..hell you don't even have to tip them.

Can I move in with you???? I'll be your live in maid, babysitter, chef or something. :(

Snapp
09-03-2004, 10:45 PM
I think it's just to create jobs.

Some Rogue
09-04-2004, 12:59 AM
I think there are only the two states left like that and it's mostly an old law that never got changed because they thought people were too stupid to pump gas themselves and they might blow something up.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040715.html

[Edited on 9-4-2004 by Some Rogue]

Percocet
09-04-2004, 01:10 AM
It's not self-pump because it's supposed to both "create jobs" and give something for the people who are employed by a gas station something to do.

I asked a couple jersey gas-pumping-employees why and that was basically the answer.

Praefection
09-04-2004, 04:13 AM
When I lived in CA and was working in a gas station there were occasional people (I should say ladies since it was always women) who came in from Oregon and didn't know the first thing about pumping their gas. I had one lady who was in her 40's who told me point blank "I never learned because my dad or husband always did it for me..." Seriously though, how fucking hard can it be? In Montana you'd be laughed out if you couldn't do it yourself.

kheldarin
09-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Lalana

Originally posted by kheldarin

Can I move in with you???? I'll be your live in maid, babysitter, chef or something. :(

Suuuuuuure, you can be my nanny. :whistle:

09-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Remember to always, always, always buy gas before you wash your car.

That is all.

Skirmisher
09-04-2004, 12:56 PM
From the AskYahoo webpage listed above.

Whatever your position on the matter, next time you're in Jersey and need to refuel, take the opportunity to relax in the comfort of your car while the gas station attendant does the dirty work.

Hah! Too true!

I dont mind what anyone wants to say about NJ and how they think its ridiculous that someone has to pump the gas for you.

Come rain or winter time I'm sitting warm and dry in my car and not paying any more than all those people in other states who have the joy of doing that chore themselves. :cold:

Trinitis
09-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Yep, all of OR is like that. Just be careful! Last time we went through there, the guy stiffed us. Said he pumped $25 worth of gas, we get back out on the road..and the gas meter never went up :(

Jerks