PDA

View Full Version : What's the most rancid thing you've ever smelled?

Tirayana
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Cat piss, for me.

09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
2 week old decaying iguana shit.

Artha
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
My garbage can. I think it had rotting meet in it for a week or two. And maggots.

09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Wait, I change my mind.

The surrounding area of the coroner's office in NYU medical center.

crazymage
09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
your brain when trying to form thoughts about plains hitting the pentagon

Hulkein
09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Dead squirrel I had to pull out of a kitchen fan in a row home in West Philly. Sucks when plumber assistants get stuck with that job =(

The thing was stuck in the wall right next to the little wall fan above the stove. His arm was the only thing visible. I had to wrench him out with channel locks, he was stuck rightside up with his tail curled towards his body so not only did I have a decaying squirrel in front of me, I also had the squirrels shit and piss collected on his tail.

09-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Dead humans smell worse than dead animals.

edited to add: Although more of the time when I was at the med center, the animal testing unit would reak every fucking day, whereas bad whiffs from the coroner's were more seldom.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Stanley Burrell]

HarmNone
09-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Ripe durians.

Bobmuhthol
09-03-2004, 01:30 PM
I think I found a picture of HarmNone.

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/durian/9.jpg

09-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Are Pagans allowed to eat Quaker oats? Sorry.

Parkbandit
09-03-2004, 01:32 PM
A gutted pig when you accidently slice open it's stomach and bowels.

HarmNone
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Gah! That guy's got a durian and a machete. Run for the hills! :barf:

HarmNone thinks they taste great, but oh, how they smell!

KymberlynX
09-03-2004, 02:42 PM
What's a durian??

Parkbandit
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by KymberlynX
What's a durian??

Well...simply put, Durian is a fruit: a big, green thorny fruit. But wait, it is not just another exotic and expensive fruit from South East Asia. In fact, it is considered "King of the Fruit" throughout the region. Personally, I think that is an understatement of the millenium since we Asian are humble people. In fact, the actual status of Durian is "THE GOD OF ALL FRUIT!". No kidding! Yeah, yeah, I know, some (unadventurous) people would rather die than to smell the STINK of a durian. Heck, a few countries even BAN the presence of durian in selected public spots due to its offensive smell (that, to me, is a hopeless rule just like outlawing fart, when we know that it is such a pleasure and EVERYBODY secretly doing it!).

Link (http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/)

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Parkbandit]

Edaarin
09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
You haven't lived until you've had a Durian smoothie. Where I come from they're called so rien (phonetically, so-ree-ing).

On topic, most rancid smell over came from my first year in college when someone threw up in the bathroom on Friday night and no one would touch it till the housekeepers got back Monday morning.

DeV
09-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Chitterlings aka chitlins' the smell of them makes me wanna:barf:

Kadumi
09-03-2004, 03:03 PM
The worst thing I've ever smelled was when we coming home from a month long vacation and realized that we still had milk in the fridge.

Also, some cheeses smell pretty rank.

Latrinsorm
09-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Hands down rancid meat. I did a biology experiment one time on the efficiency of preserving meat (I was a senior, ok? I wasn't supposed to have to think anymore) and it turns out the "leave it alone" method is v. bad. I must've washed my hands for about 5 hours after I dumped the pitri dishes into the can outside.

Although the rest of the top 5 are definitely odors from the communal bathroom of my freshman dorm. Some of those kids must've had serious gastro-intestinal problems.

Myshel
09-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Death

Toxicvixen
09-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I have lived with 3 large boys who didn't shower and sat around playing gemstone. It gets rank fast.

Soulpieced
09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Old guinea pig cage.

DeV
09-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Myshel
Death Which is what this guy smelled like last night when I was coming home from school on the bus, although he was alive, albeit hanging on by a shoestring it appeared. He just smelled rancid. I wanted to barf in my mouth.

Days like that have me wanting to pay the $15 for parking so my nose doesn't feel the need to shrivel up and die.

Kitsun
09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
The chemical stench of the factories off the NJ Turnpike on a workday when headed to Newark Airport. Lordy, never fails to make you wish you had been born without a bloody nose.

Makkah
09-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Microbiology lab had some really really bad smelling experiments (some dealing with rancid meat). But the worst, at least physically, was Comparative Anatomy when we dissected our sharks. The smell was horrible, but the oil glands will jerk tears right out of your eyes.

rht

Axhinde
09-03-2004, 06:34 PM
A stack of dead Iraqi's.

Jorddyn
09-03-2004, 11:07 PM
My dad hunts, so we ate a lot of deer meat growing up.

My mom hit a deer with her car. It did a lot of damage to both the car and the deer.

She brought it home and gutted it with my brother's mother-in-law (Dad and brother were in Canada moose hunting).

By far, exploded bowels of deer is the most disgusting thing I've ever smelled.

Jorddyn

(Yes, I know this means I've technically eaten road kill)

Snapp
09-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Rotted Milk that literally exploded out of the jug. Someone once pulled an out-of-date milk out of the cooler in my store and left it in the backroom over night. It literally chunked up and expanded until the jug exploded in the back.. all over the walls and floor. I came so close to barfing.

BigWorm
09-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Obligatory Klaive mention

Percocet
09-04-2004, 01:29 AM
Sorry everyone ... New Jersey gives off the most rancid smell in the world.

09-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Percocet
Sorry everyone ... New Jersey gives off the most rancid smell in the world.

Try taking off your BCL mask and acryllic face mask in an autopsy room.

Percocet
09-04-2004, 01:36 AM
:baa: Jersey's still worse

09-04-2004, 01:41 AM
IMHO it smells far worse coming into the Westside Highway near the Harlem water plants going south on the GWB than driving back to Jers.

Scott
09-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Jorddyn

Gutted deer doesn't smell bad. The smell is very light, unless of course it's been dead awhile, in which case I guess it would smell (but I wouldn't know.) I normally gut a deer directly after shooting it, and it's got a smell, but it's not bad at all.

P.S. The best part about gutting a deer is sitting in -20 windchill and then doing it. It warms your hands up!

Percocet
09-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
IMHO it smells far worse coming into the Westside Highway near the Harlem water plants going south on the GWB than driving back to Jers.

HO noted ...

But, just to reiterate, they call New Jersey the "armpit of america" for a reason ;)

Drew
09-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Just to add nothing to the thread... I don't have a sense of smell, so, nothing.

09-04-2004, 07:01 AM
:raiseeyebrowblinkthinkscratchchin:

No sense of smell?

09-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I remember standing in line behind this guy that smelled like sour onions, body odor, and ball sweat. It was gross.

- Arkans

Meos
09-04-2004, 09:45 AM
I worked at a sewage treatment plant when I was working as an electrian for a while... for 2 months straight I had to work at this place and I never got used to the smell.

Jorddyn
09-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Gemstone101

Originally posted by Jorddyn

Gutted deer doesn't smell bad. The smell is very light, unless of course it's been dead awhile, in which case I guess it would smell (but I wouldn't know.) I normally gut a deer directly after shooting it, and it's got a smell, but it's not bad at all.

P.S. The best part about gutting a deer is sitting in -20 windchill and then doing it. It warms your hands up!

Gutted deer does not smell bad. Gutted deer that has been hit by a car and had its bowels explode does, in fact, smell like something I can't even begin to describe.

originally posted by Meos
I worked at a sewage treatment plant when I was working as an electrian for a while... for 2 months straight I had to work at this place and I never got used to the smell.

originally posted by Arkans

I remember standing in line behind this guy that smelled like sour onions, body odor, and ball sweat. It was gross.

Perhaps you two have met?

Jorddyn

Percocet
09-04-2004, 01:51 PM
:penis:

Meos
09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I've run into some pretty rancid vagina too.

Drew
09-04-2004, 07:28 PM
:raiseeyebrowblinkthinkscratchchin:

No sense of smell?

Yeah, like some people are blind, some people are deaf, I can't smell. It's not that uncommon, I really have no reason to mention it most of the time so I figure a lot of people that know me probably don't even know it.

Trinitis
09-04-2004, 07:54 PM
IBP, nuff said.

Blazing247
09-04-2004, 07:57 PM
<I've run into some pretty rancid vagina too.>

Yup. Here's a good way to find out before doing the "deed". After you get stinky finger, touch your eye. If it stings, it smells.

Also, you probably have gonorrhea now. :rofl:

Killer Kitten
09-06-2004, 06:21 PM
I remember once when I was working at the Animal League I got assigned to Isolation Ward 4. 4 was the parvo/distemper ward and was filled with puppies in various stages of dying. My job was keeping them alive another day.

Parvo is characterized by bloody projectile diarrhea, distemper puppies vomit and have diarrhea almost nonstop. I started at 8, by 2 I was covered with such a layer of mung that my scrubs cracked when I moved.

I took a break at 2 and ran up to the avenue for an ice cream cone. Sitting on the curb sucking the thing down like it was ambrosia I became aware of a truly horrid stench. I started looking around, certain I must have plunked down near an open dumpster or something.

Of course the stench was me. Probably the grossest thing in the world: Eau de vet tech after a day in Ward 4.

Kimm/Ex-Tilone

Meos
09-06-2004, 06:49 PM
WTF... they don't put an animal down if they have that?!

Ravenstorm
09-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Drew
Yeah, like some people are blind, some people are deaf, I can't smell. It's not that uncommon, I really have no reason to mention it most of the time so I figure a lot of people that know me probably don't even know it.

Anosmia. Coincidentally, I'm reading an autobiography and the person also has this condition. He mentioned an incident when he thought he had chronic fatigue syndrome because of the way he had been feeling. But he discovered when a friend came over to his apartment that he had a gas leak. He couldn't smell it.

It hadn't occured to me before that how dangerous it could be under certain circumstances to not be able to smell anything.

Raven

MPSorc
09-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Doesn't that affect your sense of taste too, Drew?

Shari
09-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Its a toss up. Kim chee (I spell that right) is by far one of the NASTIEST things I have ever smelled. My mother used to eat it whenever my dad could get some on his overseas trips. I think she actually did it to get a quick evacuation of three kids from the house.

Next worst...we had to this school project where we designed our own parks and then had to build them. Being the freak I was we went all out at the hobby shop and bought fake trees, etc. This one chick ended up using broccoli. Well, she left it ontop the shelf over the weekened and when we got back on Monday everyone refused to go into the classroom. We ended up doing our lessons in the cafeteria for the day.

Drew
09-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by MPSorc

Yeah I get asked this all the time, and the answer is: "not that I can tell". I actually lost my sense of smell when I was about 15 and I never really noticed a difference, food stills taste the same too me. I imagine if you lost it over night it would probably be noticable, but I think you probably just notice your taste buds more.

The worst thing about it is that when someone else would smell something really rancid I sometimes taste it in the air. People who have a sense of smell don't realize that some of it's getting in your mouth, so I can walk into a really nasty bathroom and "taste" the pooh smell. It's really gross.

Killer Kitten
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Meos
WTF... they don't put an animal down if they have that?!

Actually, we used to save almost 90% of them. Despite the stench I loved the work. There's something about seeing miracles happen on a daily basis that makes getting up and going to work very grand.

Kimm/Ex-Tilone

09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Drew

Originally posted by MPSorc

Yeah I get asked this all the time, and the answer is: "not that I can tell". I actually lost my sense of smell when I was about 15 and I never really noticed a difference, food stills taste the same too me. I imagine if you lost it over night it would probably be noticable, but I think you probably just notice your taste buds more.

The worst thing about it is that when someone else would smell something really rancid I sometimes taste it in the air. People who have a sense of smell don't realize that some of it's getting in your mouth, so I can walk into a really nasty bathroom and "taste" the pooh smell. It's really gross.

Minus the poo-part, I'd say you have some kind of secret superpower.

Betheny
09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
you know what, I said I wasn't going to read this thread, and I did, and now I'm sad. :spaz:

DeV
09-06-2004, 10:46 PM
The smell of skunk just ruins shit.

Betheny
09-06-2004, 10:48 PM
well I gotta say, I don't know what the fuck my landlord cooks, but it smells worse than anything I've ever smelled. Except when I was on EMT duty once and we pulled a floater.

I don't think I even want to remember that.

Drew
09-06-2004, 10:55 PM

Minus the poo-part, I'd say you have some kind of secret superpower.

Damn straight, you couldn't pay me enough money to make me smell things again, WORST SENSE EVAR!

Wezas
09-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I would like to add - Fish Oil.

I buy it by the bottle and squirt it 4-5 times into my dog's food. Supposedly it helps her coat. The shit smells disgusting. Especially if we take it anywhere and it leaks out into the plastic bag.

I hate fish. Fish oil is like walking through a supermarket fish section where the power has been out for a few hours and the fish are rather gamey.

KymberlynX
09-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Just last night my niece went to make some fried potatoes and the potatoes were disgusting. We put them in a tupperware bowl to keep the bugs off them and they wound up drenched in their own liquid and the stench was absolutely putrid. We tried to soak the tupperware in hot water and soap to get the smell out, but all it did was keep the stink in the house. I finally gave up and put the bowl on the porch so I could throw it away later.

AkMan
09-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Meat and milk left in a travel trailer fridge for a month in 70 degree heat. Talk about rank.

Jack
09-17-2004, 11:09 PM
We went on a long formation run once. We were about four miles into it, and finally on the return leg. About a mile from the barracks, this guy, Lance Corporal Sherman, shit all over himself. He was ahead, and to the right of me in the formation, he reached back to the leg of his shorts and just started shaking it out, and shit was falling down to the ground. I have to say that is the most disgusting thing I've ever smelled.