09-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Timothy Leary dreamily asks, "Any healers here?"
>
Jim Jones asks, "A healer is about for a bleeding Timothy Leary?"
>
Charles Manson just arrived.
>
Timothy Leary dreamily says, "Im going to die."

Yes, this has been beaten to death...but my god...saying I'm going to die dreamily? How does that work except if it was a Valley Girl who just saw Brad Pitt.

Bobmuhthol
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM
I'd be pretty excited about dying if I lived then. I'd also do it looking so good.

Back
09-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Thats quite a star-studded cast of zelots. Suprised William Burroughs didn’t walk by with Steely Dan.

Shalla
09-01-2004, 10:24 PM
What about the tone soft?

kheldarin
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
What about the tones cold and dark?

It's so scary when people use them 24/7.

Artha
09-01-2004, 10:33 PM
My favorite is mysterious.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I should write a script that changes tone every 3 seconds and sit in TSC healing people.

Toxicvixen
09-01-2004, 11:39 PM
I love when people sweetly say they are going to kill you or go hunting. Yeah thats in context. :rolleyes: Or even Sweetly saying things with ALL CAPS! cause they are angry. But in a sweet way.

Warriorbird
09-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Eh. I think soft and harsh can be used longterm pretty reasonably. Exclaiming softly is a bit silly, however.

Chaosmongler
09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Clearly "squeaky" is the best of tones.

o.O

fallenSaint
09-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Ive managed to survive without ever once changeing the tone on my character and its worked well for me.

Sweets
09-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Tone abuse reigns as one of my biggest pet peeves. I will stop interacting with tone abusers they bother me so much. They just don't get it. And the fact they don't get it makes me scared since with that much brain power they shouldn't be able to turn on their computer.

Soft, well, you can get away with it as long as you change the tone when you get angry and shout. However, I still think the use of the tone is being lost. I think tone could have been a wonderful tool in gemstone if used properly. Now I just want it gone.

[Edited on 3/9/2004 by Sweets]

09-03-2004, 02:43 PM
I had to buy a new printer because I abused the toner too much.

Kadumi
09-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Kadumi speaks in a confident tone 90% of the time. However, I change it when appropriate.

Scott
09-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Clearly is one you can use pretty much all the time, assuming that you can spell and don't use an accent.

Myshel
09-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I still uphold that a bard can use melodic with confidence 95% of the time if it fits his or her character, which it does mine.

Revalos
09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Joan Baez melodically says, "I'm going to die."

Jim Croce confidently says, "I'm going to die."

Nope...neither works in my mind.

Now if those are the times you change your tone for, I might be able to accept that, but somehow I doubt folks that have a permanent tone setting even remember to change it for situations like the above.

I have an acquaintance in game who uses softly constantly, even when he yells something. His RP is a neck injury, which I'm fine with, but shouldn't he hoarsely yell something? Or quietly say something sometime?

Change it up and make it interesting...even if you are a bard, say something monotonously to emphasize it or even use...dreamily sometime. If you are constantly confident, use something similar, like clear or whatever, just to mix it up.

Jolena
09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Hmm..My main character speaks softly a lot, mainly because she just has a soft voice in my eyes, never very loud or noticeable. If she's angry or very emotional in some form I change it. At one point she was depressed and in a bad spot in her life, at that time I changed it to quiet for a bit. I think those two can be used in most instances as a constant tone with the exception of anger etc.

Toxicvixen
09-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Soft and quiet, there are a few tones that work well for most instances. I could even see like loudly for people like me, but for someone to constantly be sweet or mysterious bothers me. Its just because it usually ends up being misused. People who use tones well have my respect, it does add to the roleplay, but people who abuse them just should be :axe:

Galleazzo
09-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Most bungheads using tone alla time ought to be assraped with splintered baseball bats.

But only on the second offense. On the first they ought to have their fingers broken between cinder blocks.

:chair:

09-04-2004, 12:14 AM
GALLEAZZO! w00t my friend, w00t.

Warriorbird
09-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I've had characters that used both soft and harsh pretty steadily.

:shrugs:

Amaron
09-08-2004, 12:07 PM
My bardess uses soft mostly..

My empath is quiet..

Those are the two use a lot.

J

Razorfish
09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Dark is always good as someone said earler...
because even dark folks can be humorous....and my Sorc has a very tragic tale that would make his world outlook dark 24/7 anyway.

I'm considering removing tone from Razorfish however...tactful 24/7 isn't always fun... makes him too proper...and he isn't really

Mistomeer
09-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Most tones, depending on the character can be used 24/7 reasonably. Just because you say, "I'm going to kill you." doesn't mean you're saying it with a raised voice, in an angry tone. You could sweetly say it, and it could be very IC for who you're playing. Or you could make the same statement softly, etc.

While I don't have a tone set, and think it's pretty dumb for the most part, I think that if the GM's hadn't intended for you to use tones 24/7, you wouldn't be able to set them permanently.

Chadj
09-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm eating oreo ice cream.

Stunseed
09-18-2004, 10:01 PM
:troll:

Chadj
09-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Want some, Stun?

Stunseed
09-18-2004, 10:19 PM
:down: I'd rather stay on-topic.

Some people can pull perma-tones. The only people that really irritate me about it was Solescape for being a moron, and people left un-named who are such good RP'ers yet make me want to strangle them because they can't learn to change their tone.

Parkbandit
09-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
Most tones, depending on the character can be used 24/7 reasonably. Just because you say, "I'm going to kill you." doesn't mean you're saying it with a raised voice, in an angry tone. You could sweetly say it, and it could be very IC for who you're playing. Or you could make the same statement softly, etc.

While I don't have a tone set, and think it's pretty dumb for the most part, I think that if the GM's hadn't intended for you to use tones 24/7, you wouldn't be able to set them permanently.

You would be incorrect in your assumption. In fact, there was a NEWS item about being stupid and using tones all the time.

Chadj
09-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Pfft. Staying on topic is overrated.

As are tones.

Mistomeer
09-19-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

You would be incorrect in your assumption. In fact, there was a NEWS item about being stupid and using tones all the time.

I vaguely remember something about it, but it still makes no sense. You can use the say verb to change tone to match your attitude, which is what most of you seem to be arguing for. If that's the case, what's the need for the tone set verb other than to set it permanently?

Coiner
09-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Based on my observations of these forums, and subsequent psychoanalytical study of certain messages posted within, I have come to the following conclusion. This conclusion has a percent error rate of .2356%, based on theoretical studies conducted recently on human nature and behavior, specifically referencing the Aggression - Reaction modifiers of emotional response.

Conclusion:
Artha, Jesae, and Maimara are fat bitches with no lives.

Artha
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Dear Person who can't properly spell their own character's name,

You're not worth typing much of a response.

http://forumspam.articblue.nl/user_related/stfu/images/0398.jpg

Nieninque
09-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Eesh...he looks like he lost his foot!

Toxicvixen
09-30-2004, 08:10 PM
>go door
[Locksmith, Backroom]
The backroom of the locksmith's shop is stark, and lit by a single tallow candle. A blob of wax secures the candle atop a locked case that provides the only seating in the uncomfortable room. A tall cabinet secured with a sturdy padlock occupies the far wall. You also see a sturdy mithril coffer, a plain haon coffer, a sturdy silver strongbox, an iron-bound modwir box, the quiet shopkeeper that is lying down, a small wooden sign, a wax-stained counter with a brass bell on it, a dimly-lit doorway, Larton and a battered casket.
Also here: Magthrell
Obvious exits: none
>
Magthrell put a badly damaged modwir trunk on a wax-stained counter.

Magthrell rings the bell, and asks Larton if he can open the modwir trunk on his counter. He looks over the modwir trunk, frowns, and tells Magthrell, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 812 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>dir stop
Turning his attention to the modwir trunk, Larton picks the lock with ease. "There you go," he says matter-of-factly.
>
Magthrell removes a badly damaged modwir trunk from on a wax-stained counter.

>
Magthrell just opened a badly damaged modwir trunk.
>
Magthrell gathers the remaining coins from inside his modwir trunk.
>
Magthrell removes a blue crystal from in his modwir trunk.
>
Magthrell put a blue crystal in his black leather pack.
>
Magthrell drops a badly damaged modwir trunk.
>
Magthrell removes a sturdy thanot box from in his black leather pack.
>
Magthrell put a sturdy thanot box on a wax-stained counter.
>

Magthrell rings the bell, and asks Larton if he can open the thanot box on his counter. He looks over the thanot box, frowns, and tells Magthrell, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 4877 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>look mag
Magthrell blinks.
>
You see Magthrell the Raider.
He appears to be a Dwarf of the Mithrenek Clan.
He appears to be senescent and short. He has beady blue-grey eyes and dusky skin. He has shoulder length, tousled steel grey hair streaked with silver. He has a round face, a broken nose and a thick mustache and beard.
He has a fractured and bleeding left arm, minor cuts and bruises on his chest, and some minor cuts and bruises on his right arm.
He has an old battle scar across his abdominal area.
He is wearing a Brigatta unicorn pin, a diamond Lorminstra necklace, a mein Eonak mask, a polished amber pin, some double leather, a twilight grey overcoat, a grey samite scabbard, a grey imflass helm, a mauve armband, a grey steel greatshield, a pair of tawny canvas breeches, a pair of steel-studded boots, a tooled black leather pack, a square steel-buckled pouch, a grey Eonak medallion, a soulstone studded bronze bracelet, a beveled red dreamstone necklace, a bone-inlaid beryl earcuff, a snake-etched brass ring, a small black glaes buckler, and an old dark azure quiver.
>
Magthrell chuckles.
>
Magthrell picks up an iron-bound modwir box.
>grin
You grin.
>
Magthrell drops an iron-bound modwir box.
>
Magthrell cheerfully says, "Sheesh."
>
Magthrell removes a sturdy thanot box from on a wax-stained counter.
>
Magthrell cheerfully says, "Ugly numb."
>
Magthrell growls ferociously at Larton.
>
Magthrell cheerfully says, "Bit me ol hammer."
>
Magthrell cheerfully says, "Fixin' it all right up fer ya."
>
Magthrell nods to Larton.
>
Magthrell just trudged through a dimly-lit doorway.
>
Larton removes a humanoid-looking skull from beneath the counter and toys with it significantly, glancing at you.

He comes back a bit later...

>
Magthrell just trudged through a dimly-lit doorway.
>put box on counter
You put a sturdy silver box on a wax-stained counter.

>ring bell
You ring the bell, and ask Larton if he can open the silver box on his counter. He looks over the silver box, frowns, and tells you, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 488 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>
Magthrell attempts to hum a merry little tune.
>get box
You pick up an iron-bound modwir box.
>look in box
Magthrell cheerfully says, "Wrong box."
>
That is closed.
>nod
You nod.
>
Magthrell grins.
>'I hate when there is a ton in here
Speaking in broken common, you say, "I hate when there is a ton in here."
>put box in my cloak
You hear someone stomping around upstairs, followed by annoying giggling. Larton grimaces and grumbles something about ex-wives.
>
You put an iron-bound modwir box in your suede cloak.
>
Magthrell cheerfully says, "I know."
>
* Zifvalkin just bit the dust!
>look on counter
On the wax-stained counter you see a sturdy silver box and a brass bell.
>get box
Magthrell cheerfully says, "I was about to clean it."
>
You remove a sturdy silver box from on a wax-stained counter.
>put box in my cloak
You put a sturdy silver box in your suede cloak.
>
Magthrell carefully examines his thanot box.
>'Go ahead if you wish.
>
Speaking in broken common, you say, "Go ahead if you wish."
>wave
You wave.
>go door

I guess I could understand a cheerful dwarf, but then he trudges. GAH!

Amaron
10-01-2004, 10:16 AM
At least he did not skip....

:yes:

J

Toxicvixen
10-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Actually I would have preferred skipping. That would have kept with his cheerful tone. People who are happy don't trudge.

Galleazzo
10-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I vaguely remember something about it, but it still makes no sense. You can use the say verb to change tone to match your attitude, which is what most of you seem to be arguing for. If that's the case, what's the need for the tone set verb other than to set it permanently? There isn't one.

Yer right, Mistomeer, of course they intended to let people set tones and keep them that way. It's just STUPID. The GMs can be wrong you know.

Back
10-01-2004, 10:05 PM
I dunno, I like the tone set. You can also set your walk. Thats a good feature. Especially since its canned. You would’nt want someone to “skip” around, would you?

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Backlash]

Cayge
10-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Sounds sort of useless to whine about the way people talk. Except for the "in broken common". I mean, if its in broken common then When I sy wrdas thy shulda be spled funnie so I haff to strane to undrstend. That, and theres this one char. I will not name "Who speakth like thith all the time". Sort of irritating, but, good RP'ing I suppose. Nothing is worse though, than those people [usually Luukosian] who "Sssspeak like thisssss". Theres only ONE Cobra Commander and he isnt found in Gemstone, dammit.

Pallon
10-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Speaking tactfully in Elven to Treeva, Eril says, "..."

Artha
10-31-2004, 03:44 AM
Sort of irritating, but, good RP'ing I suppose.

It's pretty irritating. I'm not sure if I'd call it good RP, but I guess she's consistent so she gets points for that.

Kainen
11-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Tones are overrated and overused.. I tried to keep one tone all the time.. I annoyed myself after a while.. and as for skipping.. well it's better then stumbling or sashaying *shudders*

Amberlei
11-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Someone was speaking seductively to her "mother" and "father" while waiting for alterations yesterday. That really bugged me, but what can ya do?

Stunseed
11-01-2004, 01:53 AM
Give them a wire necklace and collapse their windpipe? :tumble:

[Edited on 11-1-2004 by Stunseed]

Mistomeer
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Amberlei
Someone was speaking seductively to her "mother" and "father" while waiting for alterations yesterday. That really bugged me, but what can ya do?

Whatever..that's fucking hot!

Sweets
11-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Bump!

Amongst all the incompetents abusing tone in the Small Park, one made me laugh rather than clench my jaw.

Chaltier decided to speak in a constant sleepy tone. All I kept thinking about was Prince Valium from Spaceballs. I hope this was what he was going for.

Fallen
11-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Tones are such an awesome roleplaying tool, it's sad that people do not use them to their fullest extent more often. In my opinion, tones are as important to expressive roleplaying as ACT and SMILE.

I still suggest that those that abuse any of the above mechanics have them revoked for a short time. Repeat offenders should have their privileges removed completely.

Sweets
11-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I wish that were possible. Then a person couldn't mysteriously ask for some healing.

GRRRrRR.

LadyLuck
11-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by fallenSaint
Ive managed to survive without ever once changeing the tone on my character and its worked well for me.

Ditto.

Sweets
11-26-2004, 09:50 AM
I am not saying all tones can't be used all the time. Soft and quiet are examples of that. Just I just ask people use their heads. I don't think tones were meant to express personality (someone speaking mysteriouly or seductively all the time). It's just sounds ridicules. I would rather see someone trying to roleplay their personality rather than define it with tone.

4a6c1
02-06-2005, 09:39 PM
The ghostly voice of Thronsor knowingly says, "Please excuse me, and I promise I tip ya! I'm good like dat."
>
Raquele murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Raquele gestures.
Raquele's left eye looks better.
>
The air calms down around Rorge.
>
The light blue glow leaves Rorge.
>
Raquele says, "You know I dun take money from dwerfs."
>
>
Raquele gestures.
Raquele's left eye looks better.
>
Rhaa says, "I still owe money to my town'."
>
>
The ghostly voice of Thronsor knowingly exclaims, "You take souls!"
>
Raquele gestures.
Raquele's head looks better.
>
The ghostly voice of Thronsor knowingly says, "I will handle Rhaa's tip too."
>
Raquele giggles.
>
Raquele says, "I do no such thing."
>
The ghostly voice of Thronsor knowingly says, "She's in debt to the land of icicles."
>

SayGoodbye
02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Savannaha happily says, "GOD LEAVE ME ALONE."

4a6c1
02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I just saw that. And it was like a funky smelling locker room cause I had to get out of there. :(

4a6c1
02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Speaking calmly in broken common, Aysees exclaims, "Are we ready to die for our town?!"
>
Khaleid deeply exclaims, "Lets!"

Speaking calmly in broken common, Aysees exclaims, "Ack!"

le crie

Actually, this made me laugh. I was trying to imagine how she could be saying it with the tone calm + !!?? and I just got all sillyfied.

Artha
02-28-2005, 10:08 PM
I was sort of writing a script to change tone every time you talked. Alas, it is gone with my account :sniffle:

AnticorRifling
02-28-2005, 10:53 PM
It's real tough to do this:

tone seduc
say How you doin
tone 1
So anyway I think Artha loves teh cock
tone quiet
Be berry berry quiet I'm hunting wabbit
laugh anticor
tone 1

w00t