PDA

View Full Version : Not seeing faewood +20 bonus on arrows

Semper
09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
I just got to level 16 on my ranger and decided I could afford to upgrade from kakore (+10) to faewood (+20) for my self-fletched arrows, but I'm not seeing any increase to my AS.
I tried with and without a steel arrowhead, and the faewood arrow still has the same AS as my kakore arrows.

What gives? Could it be because I'm at 496 fletching instead of 500?

Sample from my testing below. It stayed the same in all stances.

>art skill
In the skill of fletching, you are a highly skilled laborer with 496 ranks.

>look at arrows
You carefully count the arrows and find 38 in the bundle, each one being a kakore hunter green arrow, with a strength of 40 and a durability of 85.

Individual projectiles from this bundle will have a show of "This arrow has been crafted from hunter green kakore. A pair of colored bands encircles the back end of the arrow, one green and the other yellow. At the very back end, light brown fletchings stand out and ensure a steady flight towards its target. At the business end of the arrow, a steel broadhead arrowhead glints in the ambient light."

Each individual projectile will be "a kakore hunter green arrow".

H>stance offensive
> fire
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>
You nock a kakore hunter green arrow in your ruic long bow.
You fire a kakore hunter green arrow at a large ogre!
AS: +181 vs DS: +35 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +88 = +259
... and hit for 94 points of damage!
Shot destroys eye and the brain behind it!
[You have earned 45 recognition points.]
The large ogre falls to the ground and dies.
A large ogre no longer seems distracted.
The hunter green arrow sticks in a large ogre's left eye!
Roundtime: 7 sec.

>look at arrows
You carefully count the arrows and find 33 in the bundle, each one being a faewood twilight grey arrow, with a strength of 35 and a durability of 80.

Individual projectiles from this bundle will have a long of "a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead"

Each individual projectile will be "a faewood twilight grey arrow".

> fire
H>
You nock a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead in your ruic long bow.
You fire a faewood twilight grey arrow at a large ogre!
AS: +181 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +11 = +162
... and hit for 34 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!
The large ogre is knocked to the ground!
The twilight grey arrow ricochets away from a large ogre, landing nearby.

P.S. I know this description is a mess and very spammy when I hunt. I'll fix it:
"a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead"

Semper
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I think I answered my own question:

each one being a kakore hunter green arrow, with a strength of 40 and a durability of 85.
each one being a faewood twilight grey arrow, with a strength of 35 and a durability of 80.

I'm going to guess that when my fletching hits 500, I can start making faewood arrows with a strength of 40, and those will be +20. Can someone confirm?

Gizmo
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I just got to level 16 on my ranger and decided I could afford to upgrade from kakore (+10) to faewood (+20) for my self-fletched arrows, but I'm not seeing any increase to my AS.
I tried with and without a steel arrowhead, and the faewood arrow still has the same AS as my kakore arrows.

What gives? Could it be because I'm at 496 fletching instead of 500?

Sample from my testing below. It stayed the same in all stances.

>art skill
In the skill of fletching, you are a highly skilled laborer with 496 ranks.

>look at arrows
You carefully count the arrows and find 38 in the bundle, each one being a kakore hunter green arrow, with a strength of 40 and a durability of 85.

Individual projectiles from this bundle will have a show of "This arrow has been crafted from hunter green kakore. A pair of colored bands encircles the back end of the arrow, one green and the other yellow. At the very back end, light brown fletchings stand out and ensure a steady flight towards its target. At the business end of the arrow, a steel broadhead arrowhead glints in the ambient light."

Each individual projectile will be "a kakore hunter green arrow".

H>stance offensive
> fire
H>
You nock a kakore hunter green arrow in your ruic long bow.
You fire a kakore hunter green arrow at a large ogre!
AS: +181 vs DS: +35 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +88 = +259
... and hit for 94 points of damage!
Shot destroys eye and the brain behind it!
[You have earned 45 recognition points.]
The large ogre falls to the ground and dies.
A large ogre no longer seems distracted.
The hunter green arrow sticks in a large ogre's left eye!

>look at arrows
You carefully count the arrows and find 33 in the bundle, each one being a faewood twilight grey arrow, with a strength of 35 and a durability of 80.

Individual projectiles from this bundle will have a long of "a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead"

Each individual projectile will be "a faewood twilight grey arrow".

> fire
H>
You nock a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead in your ruic long bow.
You fire a faewood twilight grey arrow at a large ogre!
AS: +181 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +11 = +162
... and hit for 34 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!
The large ogre is knocked to the ground!
The twilight grey arrow ricochets away from a large ogre, landing nearby.

P.S. I know this description is a mess and very spammy when I hunt. I'll fix it:
"a green and yellow banded twilight grey faewood arrow tipped with a steel broadhead arrowhead"

You are capped at your AS Bonus for your level.

Level 16 = +30 bonus.

+20 Bow, +10 Arrows = +30

+20 Bow, +20 Arrows = +40 HOWEVER, you are only 16. You need to be 20 to see the full bonus from the faewood arrows.

Durability/Strength does not matter. Your arrows will have NO bonus until you hit 500 ranks in Fletching, then will every arrow you make gain an additional +5 to it's natural enchant. Kakore would be +15 for example...+10 for wood, +5 for master fletching. Faewood for example, would be +25.

Long story short, you will see an AS increase as you level more, since right now your AS is capped at X amount due to only being level 16. Using materials beyond that cap won't warrant any AS increase until you hit the correct level

Nilandia
09-03-2013, 01:21 PM
An archer can only get an enchantment bonus from equipment equal to twice their level, like all other characters. Unlike others, however, the enchantment is combined from bows and arrows, so a 4x bow with a 4x arrow will theoretically offer +40 total. However, a character less than level 20 will receive less of a bonus due to the level restriction. At your level, you're restricted to a +32 total bonus.

I notice that you're also at 496 ranks of fletching, which may already have given you the +5 bonus that masters get when fletching their own ammunition. If that's the case, your kakore arrows would effectively be +15 while your faewood would be +25. Combined with your +20 ruic bow, you'd be seeing a +35 bonus with kakore arrows and +45 bonus with faewood. Since you're limited to +32 at level 16, you wouldn't see a difference in AS when you moved up to faewood.

Gretchen

Whirlin
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
You are capped at your AS Bonus for your level.

Level 16 = +30 bonus.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyondbelief/files/2012/02/Dwight-Schrute-False.jpg
Level *2. Max bonus of +32

+20 Bow, +10 Arrows = +30

+20 Bow, +20 Arrows = +40 HOWEVER, you are only 16. You need to be 20 to see the full bonus from the faewood arrows.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyondbelief/files/2012/02/Dwight-Schrute-False.jpg
Need to be 20 before you can utilize the full benefit of BOTH faewood & Ruic

Durability/Strength does not matter. Your arrows will have NO bonus until you hit 500 ranks in Fletching, then will every arrow you make gain an additional +5 to it's natural enchant. Kakore would be +15 for example...+10 for wood, +5 for master fletching. Faewood for example, would be +25.

Arrows gradually increase in AS benefit. They are measured with the tapers of the final cut. They begin at -5, and grow all the way to +5. Prior to mastery, you are creating +4 AS arrows, with an occassional +5, but they will not be able to be bundled due to other fluctuations in STR/DUR and that AS bonus.

Gretchen/Nilandia basically headed me off with my answer. Your cap right now is +32, given your so high in fletching, those Kakore arrows are likely +14 or so... with a Ruic bow's natural 4x property, you're already utilizing more than your total potential bonus. You'll grow into it.

Gizmo
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
God damn you Dwight!

Semper
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
OK great- exactly the reason I was looking for. Thanks everyone.

I read somewhere that +45 is some kind of max for ranged, and +50 not really worth it. Is that true? I understand the benefit of a 5x bow so you can use cheap e-blade arrows with flares and the DS benefit.

DaCapn
09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
OK great- exactly the reason I was looking for. Thanks everyone.

I read somewhere that +45 is some kind of max for ranged, and +50 not really worth it. Is that true? I understand the benefit of a 5x bow so you can use cheap e-blade arrows with flares and the DS benefit.

The max is between bow and arrows is +50 (as stated on krakiipedia). You can use master fletched faewood for +25, store-bought 0x arrows with 411 to get +20, or master-fletched 0x arrows with 411 to get +25, or some gimped wood for less. Combine that with some kind of bow enchant (basically everything from +2 to +50 is possible) to get whatever you like (up to +50).

Ceyrin
09-13-2013, 07:25 AM
My archer uses master fletched ironwood arrows with vultite caps and storm griffin fletchings, for style points and a 5x 4-cycle wand bow.

Whirlin
09-13-2013, 09:16 AM
My archer uses master fletched ironwood arrows with vultite caps and storm griffin fletchings, for style points and a 5x 4-cycle wand bow.

Don't understand why you would use nice arrows with a wand bow... doesn't loading a wand end up destroying arrows when you fire them?

Ceyrin
09-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Of course you don't understand. That's because you're bad at this game.

Seriously though, since those particular arrows already have flares, the wand bow flares won't ever trigger.

I have throw-aways for when I feel like I need flares every shot.