PDA

View Full Version : Redux question?

Arqueto
08-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Like I said in my post regarding what to hunt, I have been away for a while since GSIV came around and am curious as to which would yield better redux for my warrior. I think my calculations are completely off, since I now hear PT is the prime factor in your redux. Which of these two training plans would yield better redux, at lvl 58 or so?

3x armor
2x two-handers
Not sure what exactly else I would throw in...

Or

2x armor
2x shield
2x OHE
2x CM
2x dodge
2x PT
1x Ambush
30 ranks MOC
30 ranks Climb/Swim

I don't know what all factors in the most, so I'm mainly curious as to whether the 3x armor/2x two-hander route is more beneficial than the 2x armor/2x shield/2x OHE route, assuming PT is doubled in both plans?

Also, how beneficial would it be to try and triple PT? It seems like a lot of TPs, just curious as to the benefit.

Thanks for any information you might be able to give me.

theotherjohn
08-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Are you aware there is no benefit to train in armor past 140 ranks?

If you play around with goals a little you should be able to fit everything in. here are my current skills at 73

Skill Name | Bonus Ranks

Armor Use........................| 240 140
Shield Use........................| 159 59
Combat Maneuvers..........| 250 150
Two-Handed Weapons....| 250 150
Brawling...........................| 250 150
Ambush............................| 248 148
Physical Fitness...............| 325 225
Dodging...........................| 250 150
Disarming Traps...............| 169 69
Stalking and Hiding..........| 174 74
Perception........................| 173 73
Climbing...........................| 105 25
Swimming........................| 105 25

Arqueto
08-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Just curious, but would this be at all viable in GSIV at level 57?

2x armor
2x two-hander
2x CM
30 ranks of MOC (curious about this... are two focused strikes worth it?)
1x ambush
3x PT
2x dodge (not sure about this either)
.5x climb/swim
1x perception

If this is undoable, I will most likely stick with the shield/OHE combo since I already have gear for that anyway.

Parkbandit
08-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Shield/OHE combo without the pushdown and random crits from ambushing.. sucks. If Falgrin didn't ambush.. he would sell his 10x cleaver and go with either pole arm or two handed.

If you have a very crit weighted OHE.. then maybe it's worth going that route. If you simply have a typical OHE, I would think about going another route unless you like standing there forever chopping away at things.

Arqueto
08-30-2004, 10:01 AM
That's the general consensus I had been getting... that the OHE route was getting tougher and tougher with the random crits. Assuming I go the two-hander route, how necessary is dodge when I will be wearing full plate anyway? Doesn't seem logical that I could dodge all that well in a set of full plate, but I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it all.

If I choose this route, could anyone possibly give me a core of skills to stick to? My previous post is kind of what I figured on, but I don't know how mechanically sound it is in regards to the new GSIV engine.

Parkbandit
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
If I were reallocating my level 58 warrior, this is what I would do:

Armor to 140 (in GS4, you don't get penalized for going 3x in a skill.. you end up getting the tps back in the end.)

Combat Maneuvers - 2x (More if you can)

Two-Handed Weapons - 2x

Physical Fitness - 2x (More if you can)

Dodging - 2x

Ambushing - 2x (Allows you to get DS pushdown)

Dodging and hiding - 2x (Allows you to hide and get DS pushdown)

Perception - 1x

Climbing - .5x to 25 ranks

Swimming - .25x to 25 ranks (never saw a big need for this)

Those would be my core skills. From there, it's all up to you on how you want to be. If you want to bash your own boxes, I would take up disarm traps. If you want to hit more than one target, I would take up MOC. If you are in Voln, I would take up brawling.

Latrinsorm
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
First off, you can't do more than double CM.

As to your original question, the second plan is better because you have 4 trains of secondary skill per level versus 3.

Dodging is hindered by full plate, but not too badly. You don't need dodge for DS if you're going the OHE/shield route.

Now for the opinion section:

I think random crits hurt the big guns more than the OHE route, as the point of OHE is to have a strong defense. Larger weapons have less to fall back on if you get a rank 4 crush crit to the leg or something.

PB's tactics from the open are pretty crappy, evidently. ;)

Xinister
08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Dodge is important, but by wearing full plate it will hinder it.

Depending on which hunting style you use, the training of Dodge will go accordingly.

If you were a open ambush OHE user, I would train a lot in it for the DS.

If you hide and ambush, your allocation of points will mostly allow you to train in Dodge 1x.

Either way, dodge is important, but more so in certain hunting styles.

Xinister

Core Skills:
2x Armor
2x THW
2x CM

All the rest of the skills depend on how you want your warrior to hunt.

Originally posted by Arqueto
Assuming I go the two-hander route, how necessary is dodge when I will be wearing full plate anyway? Doesn't seem logical that I could dodge all that well in a set of full plate, but I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it all.

If I choose this route, could anyone possibly give me a core of skills to stick to? My previous post is kind of what I figured on, but I don't know how mechanically sound it is in regards to the new GSIV engine.

Xinister
08-30-2004, 10:43 AM
If you can do this plan, then it will be pretty powerful.

Needs a lot of points to accomplish this training.

Xinister

Originally posted by Parkbandit
If I were reallocating my level 58 warrior, this is what I would do:

Armor to 140 (in GS4, you don't get penalized for going 3x in a skill.. you end up getting the tps back in the end.)

Combat Maneuvers - 2x (More if you can)

Two-Handed Weapons - 2x

Physical Fitness - 2x (More if you can)

Dodging - 2x

Ambushing - 2x (Allows you to get DS pushdown)

Dodging and hiding - 2x (Allows you to hide and get DS pushdown)

Perception - 1x

Climbing - .5x to 25 ranks

Swimming - .25x to 25 ranks (never saw a big need for this)

Those would be my core skills. From there, it's all up to you on how you want to be. If you want to bash your own boxes, I would take up disarm traps. If you want to hit more than one target, I would take up MOC. If you are in Voln, I would take up brawling.

theotherjohn
08-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Arqueto
Just curious, but would this be at all viable in GSIV at level 57?

2x armor
2x two-hander
2x CM
30 ranks of MOC (curious about this... are two focused strikes worth it?)
1x ambush
3x PT
2x dodge (not sure about this either)
.5x climb/swim
1x perception

If this is undoable, I will most likely stick with the shield/OHE combo since I already have gear for that anyway.

I would not train in MOC at all.

Since you are doing 3x PT just feint, tackle, berserk and critter dead.

I do that to every living creature and never run out of stamina.

Arqueto
08-31-2004, 02:43 AM
So far, this is what I've come up with. Any comments, ideas, suggestions? All are welcome. I've got thick skin. Hah. The warrior is human, by the way.

Stats, lvl 57:
STR 93
CON 90
DEX 84
AGL 84
DIS 94
AUR 95
LOG 78
INT 75
WIS 78
INF 79

Skills:
Armor Use 140
Two-Handed Weapons 116
Brawling 116
Combat Maneuvers 116
Ambush 58
Physical Fitness 116
Dodging 116
Climbing 24
Swimming 24
Perception 58

I decided to 2x brawling since I hear Voln-Fu is pretty effective now, and I wish to continue the Voln route since I have been mastered for some time now.

Any thoughts on this training plan? Tear it apart, please. I would like to 3x PT, but still want to be able to 2x brawling and I don't think I can squeeze in both.

Arqueto
08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
So far, this is what I've come up with. Any comments, ideas, suggestions? All are welcome. I've got thick skin. Hah. The warrior is human, by the way.

Stats, lvl 57:
STR 93
CON 90
DEX 84
AGL 84
DIS 94
AUR 95
LOG 78
INT 75
WIS 78
INF 79

Skills:
Armor Use 140
Two-Handed Weapons 116
Brawling 116
Combat Maneuvers 116
Ambush 58
Physical Fitness 116
Dodging 116
Climbing 24
Swimming 24
Perception 58

I decided to 2x brawling since I hear Voln-Fu is pretty effective now, and I wish to continue the Voln route since I have been mastered for some time now.

Any thoughts on this training plan? Tear it apart, please. I would like to 3x PT, but still want to be able to 2x brawling and I don't think I can squeeze in both.

Arqueto
08-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Erm... sorry. I have no idea why my posts are getting sent twice. Sorry for the hassle, folks.

Arqueto
09-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Got a quick question...

I want to go the two-hander/brawling route, for voln fu, but if I want to single shield for use during voln fu I will have to drop my 1x ambush? Any thoughts on this? How useful is 1x ambush without any hiding with a two-hander?

Drew
09-01-2004, 07:24 AM
One time ambush is plenty with a two hander, you are just getting it so you can hit the spot you are aiming for.

Xinister
09-03-2004, 11:17 AM
I think Arqueto wants to drop Ambush altogether.

Ambush is almost useless if you are not doing it from Hiding.

With your CM training alone, your open ambush will be sufficient in aimming.

I would also lower the Armor to 2x instead since it will max out at 140.

Xinister

Xinister

I will have to drop my 1x ambush?

One time ambush is plenty with a two hander, you are just getting it so you can hit the spot you are aiming for.