PDA

View Full Version : Under the Dome

Gelston
08-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Anyone been watching this?

Discuss.

Czeska
08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm a huge SK fan, so I have. It's definitely not the same as the book, though.

Gelston
08-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Hah, I wasn't aware it was based on a book. Junior seems more annoying to me then that boy king from GoT though.

Czeska
08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
IDK if this will count as spoilers, since clearly they've taken detours, but here's the wiki article on the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

Ryku
08-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Big time King fan myself but this book was not one of my favorites. I recommend a lot more of King's stuff to people before this one. That being said the show is a lot worse in my opinion. They took a mediocre story and are doing a poor job of making a show out of it. That stupid scene of the towns people putting out that house fire with a water bucket train was the last straw for me.

Latrinsorm
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
After a slightly uneven start I really like Junior's portrayal. He's unsettling, but not slaveringly or irrationally creepy, which it seems like would be pretty easy to slip into playing that role.

All in all I like the show, the biggest stumbling point for me is the newspaper lady is a little on the cartoonish slutty side. I really liked the way they did the butterfly tattoo fakeout, and I'm really excited to see Winona again (although I don't know wtf she's been doing to her eyebrows since Justified).

Gelston
08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Junior has gotten better, in the last episode he didn't seem nearly as bad. The first few when he was showing as the obsessive kidnapper dude though, I wanted him to die in the worst of ways.

Latrinsorm
08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
In retrospect though his reaction really wasn't even in the top 5 worst we saw. How many people did we see get shot, blown up, crash into the dome, etc.? Angie lived because he kept her safe. Was he wrong?

Gelston
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
In retrospect though his reaction really wasn't even in the top 5 worst we saw. How many people did we see get shot, blown up, crash into the dome, etc.? Angie lived because he kept her safe. Was he wrong?

Kidnapping someone and chaining them to the wall in a bunker is wrong, yes.

Czeska
08-21-2013, 07:11 PM
The Junior from the book was much, much, much worse. This guy's not even creepy to me.

Gelston
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
The Junior from the book was much, much, much worse. This guy's not even creepy to me.

He isn't creepy at all to me. He is an annoying whiney manchild. I was hoping Barbie would murder him too, but it is starting to look less and less like that will happen.

Latrinsorm
09-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I don't understand Big Jim's latest gambit. If Julia lives, she will (probably) know that Barbie didn't shoot her. Hello, the Nurse will certainly find that tale incredible.

Why not say: "earlier today, Maxine shot Julia, and in response Barbie captured her and her expendable associate, restrained them, and executed them. We are a nation of laws, and we will absolutely not tolerate this sort of vigilantism. When faced with lawful authority, Dale Barbara chose to draw a gun on myself and violently resist arrest by Sheriff Linda whatever her last name is. These are not the actions of a hero, they are the actions of a criminal, and he will be treated as such."

That way the only lie is who killed Max, which is he-said he-said dome-said. I'm a little disappointed that the writers thought so little of Jim's megalomania. It's not mere arrogance or greed or swaggering, Jim should see how to tune every situation to his best interests, and unnecessarily blatant lies are not that, especially when Barbie was (is?) apparently well-regarded in the town for his various heroic (or at least life-saving) acts.

4a6c1
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I watched the first episode and that was it. Shame! It looks neat. Hulu and Netflix are my medium of choice because I'm always on the move. If it's not on Hulu I usually haven't heard of it.

Digging the spoilers. :]