PDA

View Full Version : just got my CCW permit what handguns would you recommend?

loxe
08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I just got my NY (resident) ccw permit, and i have my app in for both a Utah and Florida (non-resident) permits. with all three i will be able to carry in around 40 states.

but now im wondering what i should get.

Im 5'11" 275lbs. with fairly big hands, not huge but still good sized.

my main interest is in target shooting (with my son)

I was thinking i'd like a revolver and a couple semi's

im not into "flash" as much as i want reliability, accuracy, and ease of maintenance.

ok so let me have it...

Buckwheet
08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Kel-Tec PF-9

Archigeek
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steampunk-Dieselpunk-Gun-Nerf-Maverick-N-Strike-Victorian-Gothic-Cosplay-Painted-/390639924305?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA% 252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D221117 222494%26ps%3D54

WRoss
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
.40 Sig Sauer is an awesome weapon. My buddies that work in law enforcement swear by it. I have a .454 Casull with some trigger work, which I'd recommend if you want some real stopping power. Pretty expensive, but it's way better than my .44 and .50 DE. Other than that, you can't go wrong with a .357

Menos
08-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Go to a gun range with rentals and try out whatever they have in stock (or just phone some friend who has lots of guns). Some perfectly fantastic guns don't work for some folks for unexpected reasons. The best way to know is to put some rounds down range and see what works for you.

I will in general second the PF9 though, it is a fantastic gun to carry.

SHAFT
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I prefer the auto 9

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y437/over9000bill/Weapons/Fictional/1376269059591_zps85af7d8d.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/over9000bill/media/Weapons/Fictional/1376269059591_zps85af7d8d.jpg.html)

senorgordoburro
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Sig P226 is an incredible handgun. It is really catching steam as well, a lot of State and Federal Law Enforcement Agencies are starting to carry them as well as the Navy SEALs. It comes in 9mm, .40, and .357SIG last I checked. I think they were planning on coming out with a .45 version as well.

SonoftheNorth
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
glock semi-auto, smith and wesson for revolvers

SHAFT
08-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I know we're talking handguns here, but if you need something bigger, I also prefer the m41a pulse rifle. Fully endorsed by the uscm.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc35/TehG3A3/M41A1.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/TehG3A3/media/M41A1.jpg.html)

Gompers
08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
What's your price point for your revolver and your semi(s)?

Latrinsorm
08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I know we're talking handguns here, but if you need something bigger, I also prefer the m41a pulse rifle. Fully endorsed by the uscm.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc35/TehG3A3/M41A1.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/TehG3A3/media/M41A1.jpg.html)Those are alright for bug hunts, but in an urban environment I'd recommend a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Suppressed Poet
08-12-2013, 10:18 PM
First - best advice is to go to a range and fire a few different makes/models to see what you like best. Every person has a different preference on fit and feel.

That being said, I went with a Glock 19 as my first and to-date only owned handgun. Well...I have an old cowboy revolver though I don't shoot it and it is mainly a collectible. It is just a really nice versatile weapon. I'm a tall guy with long fingers, and it just feels right in my hand. You can carry it (not completely ideal for this, but I may only carry once a year if that), you can shoot it comfortably at the range (which is what I mainly do), it has a good capacity clip, and the reliability of Glock. You either love or hate the safety, and that is the kicker with people's preference over Glock vs Sig and the others. Anyways...I love that gun and a year later I can say I made the right choice. I bought mine with a Nib-X finish on the slider. It looks cool as hell and is really easy to clean.

senorgordoburro
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Most of these new polymer pistols come with multiple back straps so that you can adjust how they fit in your hand. A big factor here is that you don't need a huge round for CCW work. Something you can shoot well and keep on target (recoil management) is what will make you happy in the long run. Also, I personally prefer revolvers for my daily carry since you do not need to worry about the magazine spring losing tension. That is easy to fix by stretching it back out, but daily carry in the long run leads to that not being done often enough in general. Also, for daily carry try to find one with whatever proprietary coating you can get depending on the brand you go with like cerakote. These do a fantastic job of weather proofing the firearm and also protect it from the oils in your skin.

NinjasLeadTheWay
08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Go shooting. Practice with lots of stuff. Decide what is comfortable, concealable, reliable and precise. I prefer my glock or my walther. But you might like something else. My only advice other than that - more bullets are better. I use 9mm because I have a solid round capacity. Don't buy into any of the silly ass .45 is bigger and better bullshit. In a panic situation, more bullets is better.

Warriorbird
08-12-2013, 11:23 PM
I like my Ruger MK II. I'm not as huge or ripped as a lot of folks so I go with something I can fire reliably and accurately.

Delias
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1865484/rockford-illinois-handguns-for-sale--issc-m22-pink

Suppressed Poet
08-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Whatever you do, buy from buds. I still can't find better prices anywhere, they are quick to deliver, and I was 100% satisfied with the entire buying experience.

kutter
08-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Not to argue with Ninja, but it is hard to argue with the success and longevity of the .45 ACP round, it has proven time and time again to be an unbelievably good weapon at stopping an assailant, frequently with one shot, I have one, I love it.

Having said that, I also have a P229 in 9MM, P226 in 357 Sig, and a 2340 in.40 S&W. I am comfortable carrying any of them in the event I needed to defend myself.

I agree with what everyone has said about trying various firearms, it will be money well spent. I would also say there is another axiom to follow, buy once, cry once. Do not purchase a less expensive firearm you are less comfortable with if the more expensive one feels/shoots better. By the same token though if the less expensive one shoots best, don't buy into the hype about more expensive. Most firearms from reputable manufacturers perform well if you do your part and keep them clean, shoot quality ammunition through quality magazines.

Firearms to me are an intensely personal thing to me, so only you can decide what is best for you.

NinjasLeadTheWay
08-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Not to argue with Ninja, but it is hard to argue with the success and longevity of the .45 ACP round, it has proven time and time again to be an unbelievably good weapon at stopping an assailant, frequently with one shot, I have one, I love it.

Having said that, I also have a P229 in 9MM, P226 in 357 Sig, and a 2340 in.40 S&W. I am comfortable carrying any of them in the event I needed to defend myself.

I agree with what everyone has said about trying various firearms, it will be money well spent. I would also say there is another axiom to follow, buy once, cry once. Do not purchase a less expensive firearm you are less comfortable with if the more expensive one feels/shoots better. By the same token though if the less expensive one shoots best, don't buy into the hype about more expensive. Most firearms from reputable manufacturers perform well if you do your part and keep them clean, shoot quality ammunition through quality magazines.

Firearms to me are an intensely personal thing to me, so only you can decide what is best for you.

I would never, ever disregard the stopping power of a .45 but I put two in your chest and one in your head with my 9mm, it will be just as fatal as if you do it with a .45. More concerning to me about this entire thread is the fact a guy just got his CCW and is asking for gun advice. Either way, from the amount of times I've traded fire, I can say without a doubt...more bullets helps a lot.

Taernath
08-13-2013, 12:12 AM
I ccw'ed a .40 Sig 229 for my job for a while, it was definitely the best fitting and firing pistol I've ever had, although I never did quite get used to it not having a 'real' safety.

Gompers
08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
this entire thread is the fact a guy just got his CCW and is asking for gun advice.

I'll try this again -

What's your price point for your revolver and your semi(s)?

NinjasLeadTheWay
08-13-2013, 12:25 AM
I'll try this again -

hey! You can't take me out of context!

Gompers
08-13-2013, 12:27 AM
I just put the most important part of your context forward!

Can't tell the guy what kind of gun(s) he should buy until we know what he's willing to spend! Too much e-Testosterone digitally flowing around here.

loxe
08-13-2013, 05:16 AM
As far as my price point cost isn't a concern. If I want something I buy it. But with that being said I'm not the kind that has to have the most expensive item just because I can afford it.

Also to the person who red repped me because quote "guns+kids = accidents" you are an idiot.

My son (14) is a two time local trap/skeet tournament champion but does not own or even have access to a gun on his own.

Parkbandit
08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
I just got my NY (resident) ccw permit, and i have my app in for both a Utah and Florida (non-resident) permits. with all three i will be able to carry in around 40 states.

but now im wondering what i should get.

Im 5'11" 275lbs. with fairly big hands, not huge but still good sized.

my main interest is in target shooting (with my son)

I was thinking i'd like a revolver and a couple semi's

im not into "flash" as much as i want reliability, accuracy, and ease of maintenance.

ok so let me have it...

My advice would be: Go to a shooting range and spend some money on hand gun rentals. I went into it with a preconceived notion about the gun I was going to buy and ended up buying a gun I almost didn't even bother trying.

AnticorRifling
08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Go get your hands on the the iron before you buy anything. Go to a gun store. If you can find one that rents handguns and has an indoor range. Put rounds through all of them, this cost is worth it before buying if you've not shot any of these handguns before.

Savrin
08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
For target shooting, and showong someone else how to shoot I'd suggest getting a Walther P-22. No recoil and cheap ammunition. It's also sized well for kids all the way up to adults. For something with a little more ooomph, I'd go with a Gen 4 Glock, pick a model number that suites you and your son.

If you want a carry weapon, get the largest caliber of your favorite gun manufacturer that you can control the recoil on.

MotleyCrew
08-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I asked my husband, as I have no idea. He recommends this:

For concealment he recommends this:

Latrinsorm
08-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Also to the person who red repped me because quote "guns+kids = accidents" you are an idiot.

My son (14) is a two time local trap/skeet tournament champion but does not own or even have access to a gun on his own.You aren't going to significantly change your family's accident risk even if your house had 0 gun interaction before.

Intentional self-harm is a different matter, and especially with at least one teenager in the house I urge you to take it into consideration.

loxe
08-13-2013, 04:56 PM
That statement really makes no sense to me. What exactly are you trying to say.

SHAFT
08-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Awwww skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet!

Latrinsorm
08-13-2013, 06:08 PM
That statement really makes no sense to me. What exactly are you trying to say.The rate of accidental death due to gun is extremely low, so I am agreeing with your disagreement with whoever gave you that rep.

The rate of successful suicide is significantly impacted by having a gun in the house - for everyone. Teenagers in particular tend to have poor impulse control, no developed coping skills, and little if any mental health screening.

Obviously no matter what you do, your son probably won't successfully commit suicide... but if I had a son, I would want to know about this data.

Ysamine
08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
For target shooting, and showong someone else how to shoot I'd suggest getting a Walther P-22. No recoil and cheap ammunition. It's also sized well for kids all the way up to adults. For something with a little more ooomph, I'd go with a Gen 4 Glock, pick a model number that suites you and your son.

If you want a carry weapon, get the largest caliber of your favorite gun manufacturer that you can control the recoil on.

This. For target shooting you don't need anything higher caliber than a .22 really. The bullets are cheap so you can shoot more. No one who really shoots on ranges for target practice is impressed by the caliber of your weapon, they will however be impressed with the accuracy of your shot.

Gelston
08-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Test what you like. Glocks are a very popular pistol, for instance, but I don't like them because I always hit the mag release when firing (which isn't a good thing.)

loxe
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
"The rate of accidental death due to gun is extremely low, so I am agreeing with your disagreement with whoever gave you that rep.

The rate of successful suicide is significantly impacted by having a gun in the house - for everyone. Teenagers in particular tend to have poor impulse control, no developed coping skills, and little if any mental health screening.

Obviously no matter what you do, your son probably won't successfully commit suicide... but if I had a son, I would want to know about this data. "

ahh ok now i understand, and thank you for your concern. But that said, even though i own several long guns, and will likely have several handguns, i do not now and wont keep any of them in my house. all are lockered away at a separate location, hopefully this will be a non issue

besides i have three bulldogs that would tear anyone who tried to hurt my kids to SHREADS. no joke. so a gun isnt needed for home protection.

Latrinsorm
08-13-2013, 10:28 PM
That should work out very well then. I'm glad. :)

loxe
08-14-2013, 05:18 AM
i am in michigan for work, and have found a gun shop with an indoor shooting range that will allow me to test a wide variety of weapons. will be going this weekend.
thanks for all the advice, will let you know what i decide when i decide

john

Gibreficul
08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
The "best" handgun I've fired was an XDM built by the Springfield Armory. 19 shot magazine, +1 chamber. Safeties are built into the grip and the trigger. Fixed sight.

Off-the-shelf, it's the fastest firing handgun sold, and it's dead on accurate.

loxe
08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
After handling about 50 different guns and firing 10 different weapons 50 rounds each at 20 and 50 feet I ended up buying a Walther pk380 and p22. Both weapons fit my hand better than any other by far and I was very pleased with how they shot and my accuracy. (Using the range rentals)