PDA

View Full Version : EVE: Skill Breakdown

Back
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Enjoying EVE so far though I forgot it's not twitchy. Still, the missions are fun enough. Going to go with exploration.

I've almost completed all the intro missions and still have a little trouble understanding the skill system. It is obvious that most skills are needed for ship mods or ships. Certain skills are needed before training in other skills. Can someone break down in simple terms how it all works? And can you break down what the skills window says?

Current Skills: 33 (Skill points: 299,858)

Electronics 1x Level 3 ***
Skill Points 8,000/45,255 20H 41M 50S

Narthsin
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
You get 1 skill point per second.

So, basically it's telling you that Electronics is a 1x skill, meaning it's the easiest type and fastest to train. A 2x skill would take 2x as many skill points to level it up, a 3x would take three times as many, etc.

Currently you have 8,000 out of the 42,255 needed to get to level 4, and if you trained Electronics up it would take that many seconds before you reached level 4.

Each skill offers different bonuses, and you can right click them and read their info to see what they offer. You can also look at the tab that shows you what requires that skill before you can use it.

As far as what to train, that's really dependent on what you want to do. But, I found this helpful: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Skill_Tree_Maps

Back
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Ok, thats very helpful. Thanks. So what is the danger of over training? Can't you just stay logged in and have all the skill points you ever need?

Delias
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Ok, thats very helpful. Thanks. So what is the danger of over training? Can't you just stay logged in and have all the skill points you ever need?

You don't need to be logged in for skills to advance. Also, some skills take a very long time to train.

Narthsin
08-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Well, your skills go up whether you're logged into game or not. That's the neat part. The nasty part is that if you wanted to train every skill in game to 5, it would take something like 20+ years of subscription time.

So, I don't know what you mean by over training. There are going to be skills you absolutely need to get to level 5, and level 5 skills can take weeks in some cases. Some of those guys who fly the huge titans and the like have some skills that take 50-60 days to get to level 5. Fortunately there's nothing that terrible when you're starting out.

Drew
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
What are you guys currently training? I finally bit the bullet and I'm doing cybernetics 4 so I can use +4 implants. I've managed to jew enough that I no longer really care about getting popped with a full set of +4s and the savings in training time is worth it.

Narthsin
08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Currently getting cruiser 5 so I can get into a number of tech II ships and start working toward the T3 cruisers. Just finished getting into tech II medium and small guns. I need to work on large projectile lvl 5 soon too, but that's like 18 days and makes me cringe...

Delias
08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Currently getting cruiser 5 so I can get into a number of tech II ships and start working toward the T3 cruisers. Just finished getting into tech II medium and small guns. I need to work on large projectile lvl 5 soon too, but that's like 18 days and makes me cringe...

just finished small blaster spec 5 and started motion prediction 5. Turns out I do a hell of a lot better in a fast frigate that never gets hit as opposed to a BC that has to soak damage.

Back
08-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Still so new I'm just training things I think I may need and avoiding ones I have no interest in. So, mainly Science, Navigation, Gunnery, Spaceship Command and a few skills in those trees.

Finished the starter tutorial and the level one associates. Gonna just fly out and find some data to hack.

Delias
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Still so new I'm just training things I think I may need and avoiding ones I have no interest in. So, mainly Science, Navigation, Gunnery, Spaceship Command and a few skills in those trees.

Finished the starter tutorial and the level one associates. Gonna just fly out and find some data to hack.

I'm pretty new too (maybe three months, four at the most) but it seems like you just get a ton of mileage out of those core skills.

Glitch
08-13-2013, 02:08 AM
What are you guys currently training? I finally bit the bullet and I'm doing cybernetics 4 so I can use +4 implants. I've managed to jew enough that I no longer really care about getting popped with a full set of +4s and the savings in training time is worth it.

Market character training Connections to 5, then finishing some of the trade skills I don't really use but may at some point (while I have charisma spec).
2 combat characters, one is training all laser and support skills atm. Other is training projectiles and support skills for a Machariel

Bryft
08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Get your first set of core certs done, they help in everything.

Back
08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Get your first set of core certs done, they help in everything.

Tonight it clicked while I was browsing certificate requirements. All this time I thought skills were just for flying ships and fitting modules. Looking at the Core>Basic>Core Capacitor requirements made me realize that these skills also have other mechanical benefits like Energy Management having a 5% capacitor modifier.

So the pilots with more thorough training will have the advantage over those who do not. Duh.

Bryft
08-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Tonight it clicked while I was browsing certificate requirements. All this time I thought skills were just for flying ships and fitting modules. Looking at the Core>Basic>Core Capacitor requirements made me realize that these skills also have other mechanical benefits like Energy Management having a 5% capacitor modifier.

So the pilots with more thorough training will have the advantage over those who do not. Duh.

True and not true, a skilled pilot can easily lose to a less skilled pilot if say, they are amarr and get TD, then it's GG. But yes, finish all those basic core certs first. Then go eng V, Mechanics V, electronics V, yada yada.

Delias
08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Or say fuck it and pursue whatever you think looks fun.

Back
08-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Completing something like Core Capacitor is going to help a pilot use cap more efficiently than the pilot who does not. The same with other Core things like targeting, defense, navigation and so on.

Anyway, the light bulb went on for me, and I'm seeing certificates as a great guide to choosing what skills to learn on top of the things I think are fun and interesting.

Bryft
08-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Or say fuck it and pursue whatever you think looks fun.

This could be a terrible idea as in, having more cap and better core skills allows to being able to use ALL ships more effectively.

Delias
08-27-2013, 03:34 PM
This could be a terrible idea as in, having more cap and better core skills allows to being able to use ALL ships more effectively.

Right, but since there is no limit to the skills you can learn, it's really just a matter of picking what you want right now and planning for what you want down the road. It's just a matter of time. I honestly have only logged in to set up skill queues for the last like, three weeks, because I haven't actually had time to play. I'm looking forward to enjoying my badass frigate skills when I finally get back in to fly.

Bryft
08-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Right, but since there is no limit to the skills you can learn, it's really just a matter of picking what you want right now and planning for what you want down the road. It's just a matter of time. I honestly have only logged in to set up skill queues for the last like, three weeks, because I haven't actually had time to play. I'm looking forward to enjoying my badass frigate skills when I finally get back in to fly.

There is no limit but having those skills early GREATLY increases your skill in EVERY ship. No matter what you choose they will help you. More hull = harder to gank, more cap = better fittings, you prolly get the drift. You are gonna hate life when you start hitting the badass t2 frigs but can't fit a damn thing because your cap skills suck, I have ran into this problem when I should be able to fit some t2 fittings but I have to go to meta 4 or lower because my cap sucks ass. Or you can only fit 6 guns instead of 7.