PDA

View Full Version : Strange Eatings

08-27-2004, 11:52 PM
The other day, I was at the seafood place in Florida, and I got fried alligator, and frogs legs. They both were the shiznatbamsnipsnapsnips.

I've never eaten escargo.

What's some strange shit you've eaten, fellow PC member that decides to reply?

Back
08-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Had some braised octopus tapas. Not too bad really. Meaty. Juicy. And the hot bar girl/wench recommended it.

08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I like the baby sesame octopus from your neighborhood sushi restaurents. DEMS DA BOMB. :nod:

Wezas
08-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I don't eat seafood, but one time the Boss took a bunch of us out to a fancy French restraunt and ordered snails as an appetizer.

They were a bit chewy.

I also hate vegetables but love Artichoke.

No clue why.

Ravenstorm
08-28-2004, 12:05 AM
I was down in Florida once visiting my sister and there was this restaurant called The Yearling. There's a book by the same name and the restaurant served all the food that was mentioned in the book. I had a sampler platter.

Alligator - Quite good

Turtle - Excellent

Frog's legs - I'd had frog's legs before and always liked them. These though were served... interestingly. Instead of the legs being separated, both were still attached to the pelvis which made it quite obvious they took a cleaver and just cut the frog in half. Good though.

Catfish - Not all that unusual a food but I didn't like it.

Escargot - Very good. But really, it's all in the sauce. Almost anything tastes good in garlic and butter.

Tongue - growing up in a Jewish family in NY, I find nothing at all strange about tongue. I'm told most people do however. It tastes wonderful.

Calamari - Eh. Fried, rubbery squid.

I don't know the name of this next one. It's some kind of Italian salad. It had these little baby octopi in it. Whole ones. The size of grape tomatos with tiny legs attached. It wasn't bad.

I rather enjoy trying different foods.

Raven

[Edited on 8-28-2004 by Ravenstorm]

Toxicvixen
08-28-2004, 12:05 AM
I have had Rocky mountain oysters, Chocolate covered ants, escargo and shark. Probly even some stuff I don't remember. My mother thought it was funny to feed me something and then tell me what it was. My family is sick and twisted.

08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Toxicvixen
I have had Rocky mountain oysters, Chocolate covered ants, escargo and shark. Probly even some stuff I don't remember. My mother thought it was funny to feed me something and then tell me what it was. My family is sick and twisted.

You are not alone.

Warriorbird
08-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Hmm. Click beetle... rattlesnake...jellyfish.

Back
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
A good shark steak is hard to beat. Unless of course there is salmon. Or a juicy ribeye... :drool:

Ravenstorm
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
I've always wanted to try rattlesnake. It's supposed to be quite good. Oh, buffalo is also good and sort of strange in that it's not terribly common. The buffalo burgers I had tasted excellent. Supposed ot be very good for you too, much better than beef. Emu is not as good as buffalo for the record.

Raven

Betheny
08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I don't think I could eat anything that had guts in it. I have a tough time eating meat as it is. I find veins, and I'm done.

08-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Mwhat about tasty brain salad?

Artha
08-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Squid (Chinese restaurant near here has them. Good stuff.)
Frog's legs
Shark
I had a buffalo burger at this one restaurant at Simucon. It was great.

Latrinsorm
08-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Shark (specifically, something like maku or miki or Michael, I wasn't listening very carefully)

Ant-flavored cheerios (by accident)

Bamboo (although eating is a bit of an overstatement)

I didn't like any of them, so I stick with hot dogs.

Nakiro
08-28-2004, 02:10 AM
I've had cleaned raw squid legs. Might not be squid, because those bitches had suckers!

Venison is also good, if you're into game meat.

I also quite enjoy duck meat when prepared in a Thai dish. Its very tasty, like a chewy more robust chicken.

Blazing247
08-28-2004, 08:22 AM
The least traditional thing I've ever eaten is venison. I'm happy with that. When I start living on the street, I'll start eating things like snails, frog legs, and fried rabbit turd. Until then, I'll stick with pasta, meatballs, and vagina.

fallenSaint
08-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Im with Blazing, Ive had venison and thats about the extent Ive tried but I know for a fact that when I go to Outback and sit down to my Prime Rib Ill enjoy it more than anything else mentioned on this page. Although I do really like venison in any of its various forms.

Jazuela
08-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Roast caribou (kinda a cross between a moose, an elk, and a deer)

Squab (it's a nice way of saying pigeon)

Chocolate covered ants

Escargot (loved the sauce, hated the texture)

Fried organ meat of chicken (jewish delicacy)

Dandelion sauteed with garlic and olive oil.

Angel-hair pasta with anchovy sauce (SALTY.. but good in small doses)

And the most odd thing: freeze-dried beef stew that you get at camping stores. What's odd about it, is that it puffs up with boiling water to look, feel, smell, and taste as if it was fresh-made, and is astoundingly delicious.

pennywise
08-28-2004, 09:50 AM
chitterlings (I think thats how its spelled, round here its called chit'lins) - fried, tastes like the batter, boiled, dont even go there

pig brain, salted and in oil - on a bet

hogs head cheese - I even got to help make it

squirrel brain and eggs - a country delicacy

and most every other country "delicacy", including but not limited to coon, squirrel, rabbit, carp, and some of the fattiest, smelliest, nastiest catfish Ive ever tasted.

I used to pick my grandfather up in the bottomland (think cypress swamp sort of place) after he and his buddies finished playing poker, and they were always nice enough to serve me supper, but not nice enough to tell me what I was eating til after the meal, and I was too polite to turn down their mealtime offerings.

Betheny
08-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
Mwhat about tasty brain salad?

Living flesh doesn't count.

Ravenstorm
08-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh, here's another. I had a friend in college who was Pennsylvanian Dutch. He introduced me to scrapple.

Raven

[Edited on 8-28-2004 by Ravenstorm]

Betheny
08-28-2004, 11:15 PM
WTF is scrapple?

AnticorRifling
08-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Scrapple is good stuff.

You want odd. Live off MRE's for a long duration.... you get creative in your meal making. Crackers + creamer + cocoa mix + water = pudding.

Betheny
08-28-2004, 11:40 PM
You didn't answer my question, winner!

Never mind -- That's just fucking GROSS.

http://www.chickenhead.com/scrapple/index2.html

[Edited on 8-29-2004 by Maimara]

Ravenstorm
08-28-2004, 11:48 PM
It actually tastes good, believe it or not. He also introduced me to shoo-fly pie. And that is so utterly wonderful that words can not begin to describe just how wonderful it is.

Raven

MPSorc
08-29-2004, 12:14 AM
i had pig lung/steamed grubs/squid jerkey last time i was in korea im still tempted to try their delicasy ka go gi, fried dog...mmmmm

Betheny
08-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by MPSorc
i had pig lung/steamed grubs/squid jerkey last time i was in korea im still tempted to try their delicasy ka go gi, fried dog...mmmmm

You're going to go to hell.

MPSorc
08-29-2004, 12:48 AM
You're going to go to hell. [/quote]

Comming from you Maim, im pretty sure this is a guarantee ill be dinning with Lucifer himself.

edited to add.....thats dinning on dog with Lucifer himself.

[Edited on 8-29-2004 by MPSorc]

Betheny
08-29-2004, 12:49 AM
You're going to go to hell.

Comming from you Maim, im pretty sure this is a guarantee ill be dinning with Lucifer himself.

edited to add.....thats dinning on dog with Lucifer himself.

[Edited on 8-29-2004 by MPSorc] [/quote]

Awww, that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me!

MPSorc
08-29-2004, 12:53 AM
yer welcome

Toxicvixen
08-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Does Cafeteria food count? Cause School lunch should be considered strange and exotic. Some of that stuff I will never figure out what it was. I think I am better off not knowing. :weird:

MPSorc
08-29-2004, 01:57 AM
mmmm cafeteria food......square pizza > everything else

AnticorRifling
08-29-2004, 11:25 PM
mmmm cafeteria food......square pizza > everything else

You forget the octagonal mexican pizza!

Meos
08-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I ate some lamb brains once.

08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Nasteh

Blazing247
08-29-2004, 11:59 PM
I think the dude who screwed the live monkey into a head vice, cracked his skull with a hammer, and ate the fresh monkey brain in Faces of Death takes the "nastiest food award".

longshot
08-30-2004, 11:09 AM
I've lived on the other side of the earth for awhile... Japanese in parenthasis

Raw sea urchin (uni)
Jellyfish (kurage)
Thinly sliced pigs ear (Chinese... don't know)

Raw horse (basashi)

Whale

And some other stuff that I can't think of...

Raw horse is very, very good.