PDA

View Full Version : Opinions for a new car

AnticorRifling
08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Wife's car sucks. I gotta get her a new one and we are going looking right after I hit the post button. I just want to know your opinions on a new car. Looking for nothing super expensive, something safe and four door. Something like a civic or along those lines. She doesn't need a sports car or a huge ass SUV (if I wanted to marry a truck drive I would have)

Hit me up with ideas.

SpunGirl
08-26-2004, 07:51 PM
I bought a Jetta in January and I love it. Get the sport package with a manual transmission, because a turbo car without a stick is like an orgy with no vaginas.

-K

Soulpieced
08-26-2004, 07:53 PM
4 door Civic. Looks fine, 2004 model will be cheap as hell (end of model year), safe, quality, and *ridiculous* mileage. My girlfriend just got a 2 door coupe... 32 city 39 highway. Disgusting.

Back
08-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I picked up a Mazda6 which I am very happy with. 4 door 6 cylinder. Not that expensive. In my search I was also checking out the Subaru WRX. Subaru owners swear by them. 4-wheel drive. Tried a Honda Element. Maybe that would work. Too bouncy for me.

Blazing247
08-26-2004, 08:02 PM
The Civic is very reliable. Honda engines will last forever. Their trannies, on the other hand, suck balls.

I am a Nissan fan. My Maxima costs me a lot of money, but it's fast as hell and a beauty on top of it.

For a solid girly car, I'd shoot for a Toyota Corolla. It just doesn't get more reliable than Toyota, and the Corolla is a low end car that doesn't look or feel cheap.

Artha
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Get a phat ride (http://images.google.com/images?q=wagovan&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi) like mine

Bobmuhthol
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Lincoln-Mercury Grand Marquis.

End of discussion.

xtc
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I bought a Jetta in January and I love it. Get the sport package with a manual transmission, because a turbo car without a stick is like an orgy with no vaginas.

-K

Nothing against Spin Girl but don't touch the Jetta. The ones in the US are made in Mexico.....Mexico. Everyone I know who has owned this car, including myself, has lived to regret it. The thing breaks down every minute. A friend of mine has spent $6000 on repairs since January.

For your wife I would buy a Toyota product, very reliable.

longshot
08-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Go with the Axis... they make the best cars.

Toyota also has the Sions, which are tiny, but really nice.

Don't even think about a KIA or a Hyundai. Those Korean pieces of shit have the worst resale value of any car sold in America (at least the KIA does).

[Edited on 8-27-2004 by longshot]

xtc
08-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Of course if you are concerned about the environment and the looming oil shortage in the world you could go for a hybrid but I don't think they are very affordable yet.

Wezas
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/CarsAtOrUnder20k.xls

It's about a year old, but most of the numbers are still pretty accurate. And if you enable the vbscript - you can click on the picture of the vehicle it will bring you to that vehicle's Edmunds.com page.

Personally I bought a '04 Sentra Spec-V. I had an '89 Nissan before it that had no problems.

Scions are pretty cool looking if you like that style. And they're cheap as shit.

Back
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry Weez.

Ignore the last post ladies and gentlemen.

Los Bug se hacen en México también.

PS. PLZ DO NOT PUT ANOTHER UGLE CART ON THE ORADS>!!

Wezas
08-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
Sorry Weez.

Ignore the last post ladies and gentlemen.

Errrr, what? Why are you appologizing? What did you say and then delete?

Latrinsorm
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
He's politely saying you're dumb with cars.

Or he's finally lost it.

Back
08-26-2004, 10:13 PM
A little of both.

It was my round about way of saying Scions are terribly ugly.

Tirayana
08-26-2004, 10:22 PM
I don't know what your budget is like, but Saturns are fairly cheap and extremely reliable.

Personally, I'd go with a car loan, because that way you don't have to worry about getting it fixed or oil changes or anything like that. Dealership handles it all.

~Tirayana

Drew
08-26-2004, 10:30 PM
The Mazda 6 is a good looking car for the price. It's a good suggestion. I would stay away from the Jetta, it's due to be replaced next year and your resale value will plummet.

Betheny
08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Scions are so ugly...

Faent
08-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Subaru WRX

-Scott

Betheny
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
I think that Michiko will agree with me on this one.

Buying your wife a Subaru is a BAD IDEA, unless you want her to become uber-bull-dyke.

Back
08-26-2004, 11:05 PM
4 wheel drive. Hmm.

08-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Faent
Subaru WRX

-Scott

Impreza > WRX

go s00b.

Soulpieced
08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Buying your wife a Subaru is a BAD IDEA, unless you want her to become uber-bull-dyke.

I couldn't resist.

Latrinsorm
08-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Saturns are reliable so long as you don't hit anything. They don't ding, they shatter. Also, they have an unfortunate/humorous tendency to audibly resemble wind up cars when you put them in reverse. Bottom line, you get your money's worth.

<--- family has bought 3 saturns.

Celtic
08-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Look at the Ford 500. Very nicely priced in the mid-twenties and is going to be a huge seller.

Sean
08-26-2004, 11:24 PM
1993 Ford Tempo. Chicks dig em.

Wezas
08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Soul, that was one of the last things I would have expected out of you. That being said it was hilarious.

As for Scion, they don't just make the box and the semi-box. They also have a decently priced car, the Scion tC:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Scion/100377589/028725-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Scion/100377589/028727-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Scion/100377589/028734-E.jpg

Stock it's about about 160HP, with an optional Supercharger coming out soon.

Base price is 17k, and optional equipment is mainly performance parts and cosmetic pieces (ground effects kit, spoiler, etc)

[Edited on 8-27-2004 by Wezas]

longshot
08-26-2004, 11:39 PM
I almost bought the Sion tC when I came back from Japan.

It really is a nice car.

But, when you put it next to a 540I BMW with a six speed manual,...

No Sion for me:grin:

Wezas
08-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by longshot
I almost bought the Sion tC when I came back from Japan.

It really is a nice car.

But, when you put it next to a 540I BMW with a six speed manual,...

No Sion for me:grin:

They stopped making the 540i.

But the 530i = $45k, 545i = $59k

Scion = $17k

I think it's a matter of how much you want to spend.

HarmNone
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
You might want to take a look at the low-end Infiniti, too. Great cars! :)

HarmNone

Hips
08-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
You might want to take a look at the low-end Infiniti, too. Great cars! :)

HarmNone

Yessss, :heart: my Infiniti! The G-35 is really nice.

Wezas
08-26-2004, 11:52 PM
G35 = nice

How much you looking to spend Anticor?

Brimz
08-27-2004, 12:08 AM
mmmm....

you want a toyota... (relatively cheap, and great mileage)
Mazda's are nice
I have a 99 toyota corolla le nice ass car..
cept I learned physic's the hard way..

car parked middle... carriage cart for groceries uphill...

wind momentum and velocity and speed downhill...= :flames:

its actually a tiny scratch or three...

or if you want class... go with aurera (spelling)

or lexus (branch of toyota's)

another good car is hyrandi (spelling again)

Brimz

Arshwikk
08-27-2004, 12:19 AM
I just wanted to back up two previously mentioned points...Honda is the first, absurdly dependable, and if you buy a civic EX coupe, after the divorce you can give up everything else, and go "Fast and Furious" with it. The second thing is the manual transmission. That cancels out any transmission problem, and a clutch is easier to fix. Also, you can push start it if the battery dies, and can even drive it if the clutch goes out to get it to a shop. If your really good, you won't even stretch the gears. Plus, you can FEEL what your car is doing and become one with it. GET IT!

AnticorRifling
08-27-2004, 01:46 AM
I found what I wanted:

2005 Toyota Corrola S type. Talked it down to a real good price 48mo lease at 270/mo. Got alot of things tossed in for free and traded in her POS 1995 Neon w/ >124k miles.

She loved it on the test drive and I know she'll be happy with it. It's too small for my big ass but she's tiny so it's good for her and it's at least sporty enough to not suck. 30mpg city and 38mpg highway is nice too.

Gotta love having good enough credit to take the car home without signing for it. We'll probably go in tomorrow and do the paperwork.

I wasn't gonna do a kia or hyundai but I used them for size comparisons. It was really down to 3 cars for her the Corrola, Civic or Malibu. She picked the Corrola in deep blue (probably has some stupid name like midnight or cobalt but it's deep blue) w/ black + grey interior with chrome accents. It's a nice ride. The 1.8l V-4 doesn't balls to the walls but it has enough get up and go that I know she can handle highway traffic in Indy.

AnticorRifling
08-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Also to add it's an automatic just because I know she's one of those that is on the cell when she drives (not an advocate but I've learned to live with it along with many other habits of hers) so she didn't need a manual + cell phone + being a woman. Also if we get divorced I'm pimping out my cougar, I can fit a 302 under that hood and you know it will look sick with a blower and some 18" rims for feet.

AnticorRifling
08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
I was right the color has a stupid name, her's is in Indigo Ink Pearl. Here's a picture of the S type with the body molding(which she got) in grey:

SpunGirl
08-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by xtc

Nothing against Spin Girl but don't touch the Jetta. The ones in the US are made in Mexico.....Mexico. Everyone I know who has owned this car, including myself, has lived to regret it. The thing breaks down every minute. A friend of mine has spent $6000 on repairs since January.

Why is he spending all that money on repairs? Since I've bought mine I've had to replace the water pump that fizzled out in July, but that was covered by warranty. So is everything else that might go wrong, except brake pads and windshield wipers.

I have two other friends that bought Jettas (which is the reason I looked at it in the first place) and neither of them have had problems like you describe.

-K

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 02:11 AM
My passat rules. :D

Passat > Jetta

Passat > other cars

Cackle!

[Edited on 8-27-2004 by Caiylania]

SpunGirl
08-27-2004, 02:16 AM
You just have the Passat because you need a kiddo wagon. I'm still childless and sporty! Hah! Joo r driving family car!

-K

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 02:57 AM
Actually, I needed something that the dogs could ride in and carry saddles and stuff.

But wagon still > jetta

Sleeper cars rule. And it's still HAWT

Skirmisher
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Subaru WRX sti thank you. :cheers:

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Passat > Subaru

I swear, the other day I was on post. As I was getting in my car a BMW convertable pulled up next to me, as that driver got out, yet another car pulled in and that driver got out. He looks over and says, "Nice car! I like it"

The bmw guy goes,"Thanks!" and the other guy goes, " I meant her VW"

w00t.

Sean
08-27-2004, 03:23 AM
I'd take a wrx over a passat anyday.

Also this thread makes me hate you all for I am too poor to buy a new car until this time next year.

Blazing247
08-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Good choice Anticor. You really can't go wrong with a Toyota. Unless you want a fast car, then you need to travel back in time and get a Supra. :drool:

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Tijay
I'd take a wrx over a passat anyday.

:(

Faent
08-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Passats suck. If you buy a VW, have fun with the maintenance. Your piece of shit will cost you more than the car over the next five years. Once again:

Subaru WRX.

Or a Honda or Toyota.

-Scott

Tsa`ah
08-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Domestics, sorry Celtic, are not a good buy in this price range.

All three domestic brands have terrible track records for design flaws that are overlooked for cost reasons and are slowly addressed.

Domestics drive trains develop leaks faster, wear down faster will nickel and dime you on with up-keep replacements. Unless you're like me and like to hang on to a car to re-build it, it's just not worth it.

The value in domestic brands start with the bigger v-6 and a 35K+ price tag.

Saturn? The only thing worth while on a Saturn is the service and warranty. After that you'll wish you had purchased an electric shopping cart.

Kia, don't know but what I've seen isn't all that impressive.

Hyundai? Better value and life with a dual chain-saw motor go-cart.

The best bets are Japanese and German offerings. They're designed better, wear better, and are more a better efficiency vs wear when compared to any domestic (with a domestic drive train).

Good choice in the Toyota.

SpunGirl
08-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Automatics make me cry because they're so boring, but I like the color choice. My Jetta is deep blue as well.

Get her an earpiece for her cell phone. I :heart: my earpiece.

-K

SpunGirl
08-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Automatics make me cry because they're so boring, but I like the color choice. My Jetta is deep blue as well.

Get her an earpiece for her cell phone. I :heart: my earpiece.

-K

Warriorbird
08-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Good call, Anticor. I worked for a Ford dealer and a Toyota or a Honda would've been my reccomendation in that category/range. That says things.

Betheny
08-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced

I couldn't resist.

Gee, thanks.

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 08:07 AM
We haven't had any problems with our car. It runs like smooth silk and we get tons of compliments on it. Starting to do some little mods in it for my personal tastes (like my new MoMo shift knob!)

AnticorRifling
08-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Caiylania
We haven't had any problems with our car. It runs like smooth silk and we get tons of compliments on it. Starting to do some little mods in it for my personal tastes (like my new MoMo shift knob!)

Please do the engine before you do any cosmetics. It's just a personal opinion but putting mods on a car's looks before beefing the power plant is just like putting spackle and some paint on a condemmed building. Sure it looks pretty but it's still the same thing underneath.

Make it go fast then make it look fast. I'm already pricing add-ons for this corrola but I won't do anything real wild since it is a leaser. Now my baby, on the other hand, is gonna get some real work done to it now that the wife can't say "Before you do that to your car I need a new one." :cool:

Wezas
08-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Good call Anticor, they're nice cars.

I would have recommended the Corolla XRS (more HP) but it only comes in a 6-speed.

Wezas
08-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Please do the engine before you do any cosmetics. It's just a personal opinion but putting mods on a car's looks before beefing the power plant is just like putting spackle and some paint on a condemmed building. Sure it looks pretty but it's still the same thing underneath.

It's a good opinion to have. My engine's already a 2.5L, so I've already started some of the minor mods. Only an intake and short shifter so far - but I'm keeping an eye out for an inexpensive exhaust & header.

Make it go fast then make it look fast.

This man is wise.

Blazing247
08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
People who rice up their 4's make me sad.

My car is stock 255 horsepower. Mods? I don't need no stinking mods. Never made sense to me to buy a 15k car and put 5k in mods on it. Just buy a Maxima. :D

Wezas
08-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247
People who rice up their 4's make me sad.

My car is stock 255 horsepower. Mods? I don't need no stinking mods. Never made sense to me to buy a 15k car and put 5k in mods on it. Just buy a Maxima. :D

Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE (the cheapest one w/ no options selected)
MSRP - $27k

$15k car + 5k mods =! $27k

Toxicvixen
08-27-2004, 02:27 PM
1956 Jaguar Roadster - Black with Tan interior. (Just a Dream of mine.)

Soulpieced
08-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I had an '89 DeVille growing up. 280 horsepower = Drool.

Blazing247
08-27-2004, 04:06 PM
<Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE (the cheapest one w/ no options selected)
MSRP - $27k

$15k car + 5k mods =! $27k >

Fortunately, the minute you drive it off the lot it depreciates several grand. If you buy one or two years used, like I did, you save a good 10k. Therefore, you =! right.

Wezas
08-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247Fortunately, the minute you drive it off the lot it depreciates several grand. If you buy one or two years used, like I did, you save a good 10k. Therefore, you =! right.

Warranty =! valid

Blazing247
08-27-2004, 04:24 PM
<Warranty =! valid>

That's funny. I've always had the factory warranty extended to me. Extended warranties, I believe, can only be transferred once.

Warriorbird
08-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Depends on the company/warranty.

Wezas
08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247
<Warranty =! valid>

That's funny. I've always had the factory warranty extended to me. Extended warranties, I believe, can only be transferred once.

Factory warranty = 3 years

Car = 2 years old

Years left on warranty when you buy 2 year old car = 1 year

Car dies after you having it for 14 months = you pwned

Blazing247
08-27-2004, 04:40 PM
<Factory warranty = 3 years

Car = 2 years old

Years left on warranty when you buy 2 year old car = 1 year

Car dies after you having it for 14 months = you pwned>

Your point is...pointless. Even if I bought the car new, the problems didn't arise until after 3 years. Whether I had used the up the warranty all by myself, or bought the car with a year of it let, the problems still wouldn't have been covered by warranty. Maybe you haven't owned many new cars, but the thing with a warranty is, nothing goes wrong until it ends. Murphy's Law or some shit like that.

Wezas
08-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Could be. I bought my car with 48 miles on it (basically the drive from another dealership to the one I was at). I like having the full warranty and I like knowing the person before me didn't beat the shit out of the car.

Also good to know the the car didn't used to be a demo or raced.

Yes, I took a hit when I was driving off the showroom. It was an inexpensive car that holds it's value decently. I can deal with that.

Kuyuk
08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Toyota Matrix. Great car. Plan to get one myself.

K.

Caiylania
08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

Originally posted by Caiylania

Make it go fast then make it look fast. I'm already pricing add-ons for this corrola but I won't do anything real wild since it is a leaser. Now my baby, on the other hand, is gonna get some real work done to it now that the wife can't say "Before you do that to your car I need a new one." :cool:

I agree but it comes down to this:

$200 for cosmetic=I can afford

$1k+For engine mods, aluminum pulleys, sway bars, Chip= I can't afford yet.

No point in waiting until I can afford power mods to make the car look how I want it.

And I agree with Wezas. I have friends who dished out a good 10k more for a car than we did, and they can't afford any add ons to personalize it. We can, slowly but surely.

Back
08-27-2004, 08:51 PM
I like my baby stock. It looks so good as it is I’d rather put money into performance. She came with a Bose 6 CD changer which actually sounds great. It could sound better though. :) And I’d like an MP3 player input. Oh yeah, a nav would be nice, and a bunch of horse would’t hurt either...

http://members.aol.com/shiftzero/DSCF0005.JPG

Blazing247
08-28-2004, 08:06 AM
I'll race you for your pink slip Backlash.

:bye: