Buckwheet
07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Hooray!

diethx
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Hooooooray.

Whirlin
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Wonder what happened... Max out storage?

Buckwheet
07-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Kranar said some files got corrupted and they had to restore from a backup.

Kitsun
07-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I thought no one had posted for a 24 hours...

There will come a day when the servers of Gemstone will fall... but it is not THIS day!

AnticorRifling
07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry I've been head down since yesterday morning, didn't realize there was an issue until I signed on today and got a PM about it. A handful of my customers went full retard at once (adding code to production environment...testing is for bitches) and it's resulted in me having to work at work (which is bullshit).

Scenario 1) hey we just had every single inventory transaction from the last 3 months repost
Scenario 2) hey all of our order entry sessions are bombing out so we keep opening more because that's how you help
Scenario 3) hey no one can sign on to the system
Scenario 4) hey did you know that if you leave batches open and unverified for over 2 years and then make a change to the posting pgm that picks those old batches up it creates problems

Hurr I have authority to make changes on the system so I'm going to make them without actually understanding the whole scope. Enjoy your bill.

Whirlin
07-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Sorry I've been head down since yesterday morning, didn't realize there was an issue until I signed on today and got a PM about it. A handful of my customers went full retard at once (adding code to production environment...testing is for bitches) and it's resulted in me having to work at work (which is bullshit).

Scenario 1) hey we just had every single inventory transaction from the last 3 months repost
Scenario 2) hey all of our order entry sessions are bombing out so we keep opening more because that's how you help
Scenario 3) hey no one can sign on to the system
Scenario 4) hey did you know that if you leave batches open and unverified for over 2 years and then make a change to the posting pgm that picks those old batches up it creates problems

Hurr I have authority to make changes on the system so I'm going to make them without actually understanding the whole scope. Enjoy your bill.

Well... I work in IT security... so I may have to ask you to drop my name as a reference over there... Clearly they could use some help with basic, "Don't grant this type of access" type policies/education.

AnticorRifling
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
The education has taken place...many times. Unfortunately it's the owners that think either they can do it themselves or their kids are just the best XYZ.

Frustrating yes but it is definitely job security.

Whirlin
07-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Just show them the movie Office Space... and explain to them, "This is why you don't go full on retarded".

That's how I would explain my job to people that I didn't know... "Have you seen Office Space? It's my job to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen in real life"

Gweneivia
07-19-2013, 11:07 AM
I just figured Rozy got pissed about all the people talking shit about her lnet bans and banned everyone from posting on the pc for a day.

Suppressed Poet
07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I wonder if the crash was related to the virus on my pc that I posted about moments before it stopped working yesterday.

Gnome Rage
07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I could still get on all of yesterday, you just couldn't go to forums.gsplayers.com

you had to go to forums.gsplayers.com/activity and you could view PC just fine.

diethx
07-19-2013, 11:40 AM
That is the case for everyone. You couldn't post, however, so it was broken.

Gnome Rage
07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh, I didn't try so that explains why I didn't know. lol.

Gotcha gotcha.
Sorry for breaking it guyz.

Tisket
07-19-2013, 12:14 PM
lol @ GR thinking nobody posted for 24 hours.

Gnome Rage
07-19-2013, 12:22 PM
lol @ GR thinking nobody posted for 24 hours.

Well, I actually thought that you guys didn't realize you could get on s you didn't try, but I guess that was a poor assumption, addicts--you'd try any way to get that fix.

Donquix
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
This gets passed around at work a lot:
http://i.imgur.com/UzjrGAZ.jpg

Latrinsorm
07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't want to be that guy, but stuff like this never happened when Anticor was in charge. I appreciate Buckwheet personally fixing the spammer issue, but maybe it's time he gives the reins back to Anticor.

Buckwheet
07-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Anticor was being a whiny little bitch about real life work taking up his time.

Who wants to deal with that shit? When he told me all that crybaby nonsense I said "Oh boo hoo. /slit"

Candor
07-19-2013, 06:52 PM
The education has taken place...many times. Unfortunately it's the owners that think either they can do it themselves or their kids are just the best XYZ.

Frustrating yes but it is definitely job security.

It's the kids who think their programming skills are so strong that testing is a waste a time who scare me. I have a few questions in our interview process that hopefully weed such programmers out. At least I hope so.

AnticorRifling
07-19-2013, 10:06 PM
It's the kids who think their programming skills are so strong that testing is a waste a time who scare me. I have a few questions in our interview process that hopefully weed such programmers out. At least I hope so.

So you're saying when I wear my "I don't always test my code but when I do it's in production" tshirt that's cause for alarm?

Although truth be told I'm so anal about my code testing I should get my own parade.

Nauriel
07-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Cant edit my posts now after the issues the other day (and yes my posting permissions are just fine!), asked a friend and they could so...am I the only one broken?

Tisket
07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Cant edit my posts now after the issues the other day (and yes my posting permissions are just fine!), asked a friend and they could so...am I the only one broken?

The answer is clear...never make mistakes. Say what you mean and mean what you say the first time.

Latrinsorm
07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I checked just now and can edit fine. Are you, Nauriel, menstruating right now?

Candor
07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
So you're saying when I wear my "I don't always test my code but when I do it's in production" tshirt that's cause for alarm?

Although truth be told I'm so anal about my code testing I should get my own parade.

Actually I want one of those T-shirts :).

I worry about the people who actually do not test their code because it was "only a simple change". I also worry about people who seem to think that:

1. Defining constants is for wimps. If I put x+10 in my code, you should know what ("+10") is for. Heck you should know what "x" is too. And for the record, if I say "+10", it will stay +10, forever. It won't ever need to change.
2. The trickier the code, the better. If you can't figure it out, you're not a real programmer.
3. Comments? You're joking, right?
4. Passing parameters via a text file is against my ethical code.
5. I have contests with other programmers to see who can code the most complex "IF" statement.

There are obviously many other examples, but I have personal experience in dealing with the above situations.