PDA

View Full Version : College

Drew2
08-25-2003, 01:37 AM
So here I am... 8 hours and 20 minutes before I'm sitting in my first college class.... and I can't sleep. So, naturally, I thought I'm come share this with everyone who doesn't care.

So anyways... to turn this into a somewhat worthwhile post... does anyone have any memorable college stories? Advice? Do's? Don'ts? Or just feel free to slander me just on principle because I posted.

Scott
08-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Most memerable college memory would be falling asleep in my 2:00PM class and waking up in the middle of my 9pm night class (was in the same class room)

Drew2
08-25-2003, 01:44 AM
First of all... I don't know what the hell that is.
Secondly... I don't drink. I've never been drunk, and I don't really want to be. It's not attractive. That, and I can't stand the taste of alcohol.

Drew2
08-25-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Gemstone101
Most memerable college memory would be falling asleep in my 2:00PM class and waking up in the middle of my 9pm night class (was in the same class room)

:lol: Rofl
Please tell me you're joking.... that's freaking hilarious if not.
Why would no on wake you up!?

Scott
08-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Tayre
First of all... I don't know what the hell that is.
Secondly... I don't drink. I've never been drunk, and I don't really want to be. It's not attractive. That, and I can't stand the taste of alcohol.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You get a couple of laughing smiley faces for that. I don't know how many people who showed up to college who said "I'll never drink." Then they were in the bathroom puking more then anyone. Alcohol is something you learn to like, it's like coffee. I didn't like beer before college, now it's something I like to drink as a regular drink. Not everyone gets drunk, but most everyone I knew went to have a few beers and play some beer pong and just hang out.

College is about getting great grades and giving yourself a furture, but it's also about having tons of fun. College (before grad school) was some of my favorite times and I would love to go back to living in a dorm/off campus housing with 5 other people. I don't know about your college but you are going to find yourself on the outside if you aren't willing to toss back a few beers.

What college are you going too? And are you living in a dorm or at home or what?

Scott
08-25-2003, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by Gemstone101

:lol: Rofl
Please tell me you're joking.... that's freaking hilarious if not.
Why would no on wake you up!?

Well the first professor was pissed that I fell alseep in his class and told everyone that he would fail them if he woke me up...... The second professor walked in for my night class and just thought I got to class before him and just went on teaching. I use to tell people not to wake me up if I fell asleep during class, so in my night class nobody would wake me up (they would have when class ended.) It was pretty funny now that I think back on it.

I have tons of great stories, that just cracked me up and I tell everyone that story.

Other ones include:

A teacher throwing a trash can at me for disagreeing with him on a topic.

Telling a spanish teach "I want to fuck you" in Spanish by accident. (I hate spanish)

Building a 10 foot high tower of beer cans in my dorm room.

Plus tons more, I loved my earlier college years.

Drew2
08-25-2003, 01:58 AM
I'm going to University of Texas at San Antonio. I applied for dorms, but the school is still expanding and such, as it is pretty new, so I they didn't have room for me. I live by myself right now in an apartment about 8 miles or so from my school. After two weeks here, I'm almost positive I'd prefer to have roomates. It gets very boring being in a city with no one you know, by yourself.

Along with not liking the taste of alcohol, I'm afraid of the things I'll do/say (and those things I won't remember doing/saying) if I do get drunk. I've heard way too many stories from other people's drunken escapades.

Scott
08-25-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm going to University of Texas at San Antonio. I applied for dorms, but the school is still expanding and such, as it is pretty new, so I they didn't have room for me. I live by myself right now in an apartment about 8 miles or so from my school. After two weeks here, I'm almost positive I'd prefer to have roomates. It gets very boring being in a city with no one you know, by yourself.

Along with not liking the taste of alcohol, I'm afraid of the things I'll do/say (and those things I won't remember doing/saying) if I do get drunk. I've heard way too many stories from other people's drunken escapades.

Yeah I definately wouldn't like those living conditions. I liked dorms a lot, even though I wanted out eventually.

Beer grows on you. College beer does suck since it's like 8 kegs but.... you'll grow to like it if you drink it. (Nadie Ice, and The beast suck) I haven't done any real horrible things while drunk, I just babble a lot about nothing. I do remember being at a party and sitting on a sofa, all the sudden this guy came up to me and stared at me for like 10 seconds. Finally I was like "What do you want." He yells, "You're not my mommy!" and then kicks me in the shin. My shin was sore for awhile after that...... That's another story I tell everyone too....

Drew2
08-25-2003, 02:23 AM
:lol:
I think he was on more than just alcohol.

imported_Kranar
08-25-2003, 02:52 AM
Bah, you don't need alcohol and although some may pressure you at first and may think you're "uncool", after 2 years those same people now respect the fact that I still never took a sip of alcohol.

Not that it's gonna screw you over if you do drink alcohol, as long as you're getting the grades and putting in the effort, then party all you want and drink what you're comfortable drinking.

But heck, congradulations on making it, because nothing is better than getting a solid education. University is so much different and superior to high school.

Good luck to you and enjoy your time.

Artha
08-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Don't go naked.

HarmNone
08-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Just have fun, Tayre, and do not let anybody convince you that you must drink alcohol to do so. I do not drink alcohol and never have, yet I had some wonderful times in college. You will find it very, very different than high school.

Grades are important, as your future is dependent on what you do to futher your own goals. However, when you are not studying, there is much to be said for the comraderie that develops among college students. Many friendships formed during these years last a lifetime.

Enjoy yourself and do well. You are making memories, as well as a future for yourself.

HarmNone

Bestatte
08-25-2003, 07:42 AM
The Legend of the Smoots: A Mass. Avenue Bridge Tale

Once upon a time, in the city of Boston Massachusettes, there lived a young man whose last name was Smoots.

Smoots dwelled in a fraternity house with his fraternity brethren, whose names are lost to the tombs of memory.

One day, Smoots and his brethren went a-drinking at the local pub, called the Crossroads, at the junction of Mass. Ave and Beacon Street. They proceeded to get drunk on Heifenrefer beer (in the bottles with those silly little puzzles on the inside of the caps).

So drunk were they, that when they finally exited the tavern, it became apparent that poor Smoots was unable to walk. So they rolled him over the Mass Avenue Bridge. After every roll, they sprayed a line on the sidewalk to mark Smoots existence.

Every ten rolls, they sprayed a mark to show it was a tenth roll. At twenty-five rolls, they changed the color of the line, so all would know that Smoots had been rolled twenty-five times. Fifty rolls was a similar milestone.

The rolls continued down to the end of the bridge, and then abruptly stopped at a point where a sober person standing up could see the nearest buildings of MIT (Mass Institute of Technologiy).

This story is true, and occurred some time in the late 1950's or possibly early 1960's.

I observed the Smoots roll lines in 1980, and the Legend was passed down to me and the group I was with, that the Legend would be remembered for eternity.

I now pass it to you, to continue the Legend.

It is now 2003, and the last time I visited the great state of Massachusettes was 2001. The Smoots lines were still there, lovingly preserved by the City.

Ilvane
08-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Yeah, college is great. I hope you have a good time there. The best thing is to just be yourself. You'll find in college that you will get along just fine with most people, and it's not quite the same as the clique-ish high school. I was the quiet one in high school, but wound up being student government president my senior year of college..:)

My advise, is be you..and don't let anyone tell you drinking is necessary.

-A

Artha
08-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Remember to drink as much as you can...you won't remember anything, but you'll look so cool.

Drew2
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Heh.. thanks everyone. Here I go!

Edaarin
08-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Heh, having apartment mates is great if you know the guys you're going to live with. However, if you depend on on-campus housing to place you with random people, it's really a crapshoot. During my first year (last year), I lucked out and got roomed with someone who had like the exact same sleep patterns, workout schedule, and took 3 of the same classes as me each semester. Sure, we got on each other's nerves sometimes, but he's like my brother now.

This year, two of the guys in my apartment backed out of our lease. I've only been here three days, but right now it's looking like one of the replacement guys is going to have to go. Last night, he had a little party in our apartment. I'm usually real chill about things like that, I don't care if people drink, but my roommate plays varsity soccer so he has to get up really early for classes and practice, so he asked them like three or four times if they could keep it down. Well, my other roommates and I came back around one or so, the living room was a mess, there was beer spilled all over the table and the floor, and they ate about $100 worth of our food.

Oh yeah, about sleep. Try to blank your mind, picture a white sheet of paper. If that doesn't work, record one of your professor's lectures (sociology worked for me last year) and listen to it. You'll be out like a light.

[Edited on 8-25-2003 by Edaarin]

Artha
08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Edaarin: If roommate does not replace your money and start cleaning up, rent a woodchipper. Find enough items of his to compensate for your losses. Shred them. Make a pillow out of shreddings. Comfort yourself with said pillow.

theotherjohn
08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Dont drink to oblivion every time you drink but dont let all the good times at the river walk pass you by

Makkah
08-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Haha, I have a few good MD 20/20 stories too. That stuff's brutal.

rht

Scott
08-25-2003, 12:54 PM
<<<Remember to drink as much as you can...you won't remember anything, but you'll look so cool.>>>

I don't know hardly anyone that believe's that statement in college.

Parkbandit
08-25-2003, 01:12 PM
* Beer canning in my neighbors
* Floor Parties
* Keg on the Roof
* Intermural Football
* Dorm "Killer" game
* Sex on the elevator
* My first joint
* Pennying in my neighbors
* 360 Main Street
* Grain parties
* ABC Birthday bashes
* Floor Mixers
* Room decorations (The Wall)
* Green VW bug
* Golf drives at 3am.

Ah... the memories.

Drew2
08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Heh well my first day was pretty easy. I have classes from 9-12, but the bus comes by here at 8 so I'm there kinda early. Unfortunatly my class gets out at 11:50, the exact time the bus rolls in, so by the time I get to the stop it's gone. Luckily there was like a first day party going on in the commons area so there was stuff to occupy me.

Overall, my first impression is it's going go be so much more relaxed than high school. But that just means I'll need all the more self-discipline. (Most of it is going to be needed to stay awake during my college algebra class. If it remains at the pace it was today, I'm in for a review of everything I learned since 7th grade.)

Makkah
08-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Haha, I like Parkbandit's list. Got most of the key features in there:

* Hackeying at 4 am in front of the dorm.
* Hollarin at guls outside the dorm.
* Main Meal twice a day my freshman year.
* Apple pie shots.
* Kegger after kegger after kegger.
* One of my roommates growing bud in the closet...
* ... and drying it in one of our bathrooms.
* Getting evicted for numerous parties and the before mentioned.
* Track season.
* 1 ft of snow my freshman year...

man those were the days

rht (who is now a senior and must be "responsible")

CrystalTears
08-25-2003, 03:15 PM
MD 20/20 is evil! Drink anything but that! Save yourself from potential embarrassment. Man I wish someone told ME that before I drank half a bottle a night or two. <pales>

Drew2
08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Post deleted because I figured it out and now feel stupid. ::hums::

[Edited on 8-25-2003 by Tayre]

Artha
08-25-2003, 04:05 PM
x(2x^2) - x(1)?

I don't want to give you the wrong idea, so someone can tell me if I'm right.

imported_Kranar
08-25-2003, 04:33 PM
What was the question?

Edaarin
08-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Yeah, so uh one more tip: don't study in bed. I just fell asleep for a good 3 three hours reading my course catalog.......

Artha
08-25-2003, 04:52 PM
What was the question?

It was factoring...which sounds alot harder than it is.

Drew2
08-25-2003, 04:54 PM
The question was x^3 - x.

The answer is x(x^2 - 1)

imported_Kranar
08-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Ah, okay.

Artha
08-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Ah, I was slightly off...I suppose that's why I repeated Algebra in the 9th grade :)

Tsa`ah
08-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Eeesh....

So far some good advice has already been given.

Don't stress about the grades, but don't schluff off.
Relax and have some fun.
Learn the rules regarding waiting for class instructors. Ours were:
Undergrads get 20 minutes, then we scram.
Grad students get 10 minutes, then we scram.
Profs get 2 minutes, then we scram.

During my second week my freshman year I sat in the auditorium alone for nearly an hour waiting for the Prof. She walks in and looks at me, grins and asks "Don't you know the rules?"

One of my best memories was the hazing our first week of practice back from the camp.

It was a tradition that the freshmen that made it past camp would spend one night's sleep taped to a support beam. I shared a room with two linemen and a line backer. I was considered big in my small town, but these three made me want to cry like a bitch in fear. Well, 1:30 am the Sr squad burst into the room with a hose and loud horn to wake us up, we jumped them, taped em up and put pillow cases over their heads. The next morning when the Varsity squad came down for the annual heckling and hazing of the dumb freshmen, they totally smeared the seniors taped up with a hell-spawned form of bengay. These three got the whole treatment, magic marker tattoos and all. Of course we ran like hell when the pillowcases came off.

Whatever you do, should you decide to drink or ... experiment ... don't do both at the same time.

I went to my cousin’s dorm part one winter and watched him consume more rude beer than I had thought possible. He was holding up pretty well till an ag major broke out his hydroponics wares. Next thing you know, cus, 4 girls, and a couple of other guys get the idea of making snow angels.... Anatomically correct snow angels. I do believe that's on film somewhere. I'm surprised he was able to aid in the production of a child after that.

Fondest memories.
`roof top jello balloon launcher with a 500 yard blanket radius.
`a le car loaded with 12 students doing the infamous reverse entry procedure at drive throughs. Item of choice? Whopper.... hold the beef.
`ag majors and hydroponics.
`streaking the Union.
`wheel chair wars in the Union.
`super glue, quarters, nail polish - the ingredients for free laundry.
`crashing a frat party
`evicting the frat from the frat party
`attending class in boxers and ducky slippers (that's when we picked up on free laundry)

AnticorRifling
08-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Barracks life is alot like college life only with alot more booze. Biggest difference is everyone in the barracks knows how to clean his/her living space. You'd be suprised how quick we can transform a totaly trashed room into one that is inspection ready :cool:

Warriorbird
08-26-2003, 10:39 PM
"* Beer canning in my neighbors
* Floor Parties
* Keg on the Roof
* Intermural Football
* Dorm "Killer" game
* Sex on the elevator
* My first joint
* Pennying in my neighbors
* 360 Main Street
* Grain parties
* ABC Birthday bashes
* Floor Mixers
* Room decorations (The Wall)
* Green VW bug
* Golf drives at 3am.

Ah... the memories."

And now you're a Republican! I'm so sorry!

Honestly, college is a great great time, but always remember that there is life after it. Remember to take the GREs or LSAT....or make that business plan, but just be prepped to hit the ground running.

Myshel
08-26-2003, 11:41 PM
Tips I picked up and am passing along.

1.Go to every class, every day. You'd be suprised how many professors are aware of who shows and who doesn't, and it will be reflected in your grade. (along with any pop quizzes you happen to miss)

2. Party. Go out and have fun. But only do it on weekends, and only one night a week. Don't let your social life interfere with your academic life.

3. Get involved in extracurricular activities. This allows you the opportunity to meet new people and try new things. It also will look good on a resume when you apply for jobs.

4. Don't limit yourself only to those classes in your major. Take some electives, not only because you might enjoy them, but also because it will help you determine whether you have picked the right field to study.

5. If possible, get an internship, perferably one related to your field of study. Even if it doesn't pay a salary, it will allow you to experience the work you have chosen to do after college. And it doesn't hurt on your resume, either.

Best memories:first serious love affair, meeting my best friend, cleaning out the guys on a regular basis in poker.

Worse memories: First experience with death of a friend, breaking up with my first serious love, learning I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought I was.. grin.

Good Luck!

Myshel

Edaarin
09-02-2003, 04:56 PM
8 am classes blow.
Thunderstorms that knock out your alarm clock suck.

That is all.

Scott
09-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
8 am classes blow.
Thunderstorms that knock out your alarm clock suck.

That is all.

My first year was my only 8AM class.... I could never make it on time so I refused to ever schedule them again.....

Drew2
09-02-2003, 05:04 PM
My class on M W F starts at 9, T Th starts at 9:30.

No way was I going to do 8 am. I know me.

SpunGirl
09-02-2003, 05:07 PM
First off, whoever said he was senior now and must be responsible... blargh! My senior year was the best, only slightly better than my freshman year. I saved the middle two for being responsible.

I know a lot of people on these boards might kick and scream about this, but don't count out the greeks. I was a tri-delta and I LOVED it. The drama was a little too much, and I only stayed in for three years, but it was fun and I met a lot of people whom I'm still really close to.

GO TO CLASS. No one is going to call your mommy and daddy if you don't. I learned that the hard way.

Try to live in the dorms next year. It's a great way to meet people. I met two of the four girls that were in my wedding in college - the friendships there start out much differently and I've found they tend to be more in-line with who I am now rather than who I was in junior high. It's kind of nice.

A friend call recount various details of your love life. A real friend can blackmail you with them.

I was going to list memories, but no one would get them. ::sniffles and goes to call her friends::

-K

Ilvane
09-03-2003, 06:53 AM
8 o'clock classes are nothing once you get out into the working world..heh.

I had 8 am classes, and a professor who would lock the door at 10 past 8, if you didn't make it in time. So I was always on time..

College is easy compared to most jobs, so enjoy it while you are there.;)

-A

Solkern
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
CAn you imagine life in college without RAMEN!????

Drew2
09-03-2003, 04:16 PM
I have... ::goes to the pantry and counts::...
21 packages of Ramen. I got them all when I moved in 4 weeks ago. I haven't touched them since. Mostly because I figure I'll save those for when I eat everything else and I don't want to go grocery shopping because it means carrying all my groceries on the bus for the world to see. That's just me.

Edaarin
09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Ramen are so nasty. Go with shin cups, or some other Asian derivative of instant noodles. Ramen is just processed salt thrown with a block of bad pasta.

Scott
09-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Raman noodles aren't very good. But when you can buy like 8 of them for $1, who cares, especially when your in college. They are pretty filling though.....

Carl Spackler
09-03-2003, 06:47 PM
easymac

Artha
09-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Ramen noodles kick ass. I prefer oriental, drained.

Edaarin
09-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Both bathrooms in my damn apartment have leaky sinks. Stupid crappy maintenance.

peam
09-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Leaky sinks? You pansy.

MY AIR CONDITIONER WAS BROKEN TODAY. Now that's a crisis.

Drew2
09-03-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm going to make Ramen noodles for dinner.

I know everyone wanted to know that.

Carl Spackler
09-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by peam
Leaky sinks? You pansy.

My apartment doesn't have air period.

Scott
09-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by peam
Leaky sinks? You pansy.

My hot tub lost power for an hour. :(

Camri
09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Ramen noodles aren't a delicacy or anything, but they're cheap and they make a meal when there isn't anything but ketchup in the fridge.

<My hot tub lost power for an hour. >

Oh poor baby.

I was drinking out of a measuring cup today, because there aren't any clean dishes. The drains in the sink won't hold water, the seals are bad.

SpunGirl
09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Ramen noodles are very multi-functional. You can make the noodles and throw away the flavor packet, buy some spaghetti sauce and parmesan in the can, and poof- ramen spaghetti.

-K

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by SpunGirl]

Soulpieced
09-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Or you could just learn how to cook. Lousy peons.

~Chef Soulpieced

Drew2
09-03-2003, 10:30 PM
<--- Is cooking pancakes right now for breakfastes.

peam
09-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Learning to cook is the way to go.

I wouldn't think of eating Ramen.

Who me
09-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Good piece of advice... NEVER EVER let your drunk friends invite people you do NOT know into your dorm/ apt for a last minute party. Always take it somewhere else. :no:

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by Who me]

Snapp
09-03-2003, 11:04 PM
I like ramen! Shrimp flavor is the way to go!

Makkah
09-03-2003, 11:10 PM
<<MY AIR CONDITIONER WAS BROKEN TODAY. Now that's a crisis.>>

You sissy. Try living in a dorm for two years that had no air conditioning. Anywhere.

rht

peam
09-04-2003, 07:50 PM
www.ratemyprofessors.com

Go there. It's useful.