PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, guess they have breakage in Eve

cwolff
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/video-game-starship-worth-9-000-destroyed-ambush-190533986.html

Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen.
Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.
One player of the long-running online game EVE Online experienced that horror Sunday, when an ambush destroyed his supercarrier valued at a whopping $9,000.

Gelston
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Eve has had a LOT of big money loses. Including someone who lost a shit load of PLEX, which is basically in game cash that you buy for real cash and sell to other players for in game credits or can use for your sub, when their ship got destroyed.

Bryft
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
There have been scams that have involved upwards of $60,000 worth of isk.

gs4-PauperSid
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Just saw that article as well. . .. and here I stand, thinking the silvers transactions for 8-14? bucks a pop carried risk. . . 9 grand?

Ouch.

-J

tallkris3
07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Loved the linked article about a $330k for a virtual space station.

Hmm... buy a new house, new furniture, and new cars for the wife and I or buy a virtual space station... tough call.

Tgo01
07-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Hmm... buy a new house, new furniture, and new cars for the wife and I or buy a virtual space station... tough call.

If you answered anything other than "space station" then you are doing it wrong.

JackWhisper
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
All I saw was how remarkably close the player's name was to TSIN.

SHAFT
07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
I kind of want to play just so I can infiltrate drews corp and sell them out. Die drew!

Parkbandit
07-11-2013, 12:46 PM

A $330,000 virtual space station isn't for those who are making that type of choice.

cwolff
07-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I've got to think that this is a great way to launder money.

Gelston
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
A $330,000 virtual space station isn't for those who are making that type of choice.

I think a lot of the very high dollar purchases for things like Space Stations, private planets, and crap(in a wide range of different MMOs) were by actual companies... They were able to put advertising and crap in there. There are a couple of people who just have nothing better to spend their money on in a few of the cases though.

Bryft
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Just saw that article as well. . .. and here I stand, thinking the silvers transactions for 8-14? bucks a pop carried risk. . . 9 grand?

Ouch.

-J
Difference being, Simu doesn't give a shit, CCP catches you doing RMT and they will ban your shit and everything will be gone or at the very least take a bunch of your shit and give you a few month ban..

cwolff
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM
The economy in EVE Online is a living thing. CCP, the game's developer, actually has an economist in-house who monitors the virtual world, working to curb inflation or introducing new types of technology to absorb currency. It’s like a virtual Federal Reserve, selling bonds to shrink the money supply.

Thought this was interesting. They've central planning the economy. This SIMU's hiring economists to work on the silver market?

Taernath
07-11-2013, 02:58 PM

I'm sure the virtual space station has a virtual wife included in the price.

subzero
07-11-2013, 03:16 PM

"Wife" has implications that may not be ideal for a virtual woman. I'm sure we could do better.

tallkris3
07-11-2013, 03:53 PM

That price is to high to include a wife.

Light
07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I have no clue where that 330k $ figure came from you guys were tossing around, but nothing in eve is anywhere close to that expensive. Aside from possibly all of CFC and N3's outgoing expenditures for an entire year lol.

Building a station egg costs around 9 bil, which is like 17 PLEX. It's literally pocket change.

Also, supercaps cost roughly 20-25b for the hull, and 10-15b in proper a-type / x-type fittings, so 35-40b depending on which one. So I'm not sure how a dude could have lost 9 grand on a super, unless this was talking about the PL Revenant. A Titan can run upwards of 160 billion, so thats about a 10k loss and would make more sense.

BTW If any of you actually wanna blow 50 grand I'll sell you 10 accounts, titans, supers, 6 100m+ sp toons and like 30 bil liquid isk.