PDA

View Full Version : New monk build - THW

Androidpk
07-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Got tired of using open UAC so I switched to using a battle axe with aimed swings and MoC.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10qggf5.jpg

Aluvius
07-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I did the same thing recently with my level 29 monk. It certainly seems more effective than open UAC, however I've already ran into problems with being disarmed ... you might want to pick it up?

Nathala Crane
07-06-2013, 12:38 PM
That's interesting. So, Stance of the Mongoose's description states this as a requirement:

Weapon suitable for retaliatory
attack or an empty hand.

So, are you able to retaliate with your axe? Because "holy shit" if so. Almost makes me want to put a katana back in my Erithian monk-convert's hands.

Warriorbird
07-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Two handed/polearms always = the more fun way to do GS melee.

cwolff
07-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Ya PK, If you get a chance post a log of Mongoose in action with the THW build.

Are either of you using Ki Focus? It looks like you could run the heck out of that cman and it's probably better with a weapon then UCS

Androidpk
07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
In an awe inspiring display of combat mastery, a lesser minotaur engages you in a furious dance macabre, spiralling into a blur of strikes and ripostes!

A lesser minotaur swings a curved silvery white greataxe at you!
AS: +376 vs DS: +498 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +98 = +17
A clean miss.
As you parry a lesser minotaur's attack, you see an opportunity for immediate retaliation!
You swing a twin-edged golvern battle axe at a lesser minotaur!
AS: +341 vs DS: +263 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +63 = +179
... and hit for 60 points of damage!
Hard hit shatters shield arm.
The lesser minotaur is stunned!
Roundtime: 3 sec.

A krag yeti swings a monstrous hairy hand at you!
As you parry a krag yeti's attack, you see an opportunity for immediate retaliation!
You swing a twin-edged golvern battle axe at a krag yeti!
AS: +427 vs DS: +287 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +56 = +234
... and hit for 98 points of damage!
The krag yeti twists away but is caught with a hard slash!
Back is broken!
The krag yeti is knocked to the ground!
The krag yeti is stunned!

A krag yeti swings a monstrous hairy hand at you!
As you parry a krag yeti's attack, you see an opportunity for immediate retaliation!
You swing a twin-edged golvern battle axe at a krag yeti!
AS: +432 vs DS: +287 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +78 = +261
... and hit for 112 points of damage!
Spinal cord damaged by smash to the back.
The krag yeti is stunned!

As you parry a lesser minotaur's attack, you see an opportunity for immediate retaliation!
AS: +408 vs DS: +263 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +34 = +217
... and hit for 100 points of damage!
Shield arm removed at the shoulder!
The lesser minotaur is stunned!

The psychic energy surrounding a lesser minotaur intensifies the attack!
AS: +407 vs DS: +279 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +63 = +229
... and hit for 116 points of damage!
Incredible blast shatters head into a red spray.

Androidpk
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't have Ki Focus but I'll probably work on that and disarm.

Nathala Crane
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Right. Time to give some serious thought to Haoh's training. Thanks for posting this, PK.

lordsmo
07-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Couple questions if you don't mind, since I've been pondering a monk build.

I see you have 0 armor and no transformation, so I imagine your iron skin is effectively cuirboulli or studded leather, depending on your level. How are you at taking hits? Or do you just rely on the 2.5x dodge + spells to have a huge DS?

Also, how is your TD? Do you find that going without the CvA buff of heavier armors is hurting you?

Thanks for your assistance.

Aluvius
07-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Even at 29 about all that can kill me are CS spells, I thought long about going up to real brig with armor use for the CvA but it sure eats up the points. That's how I looked at it, either go for armor use or don't even bother with transform lore until at least 50 when I might try to get into 1202 chain. When I first made my monks I thought I'd be 1x in transform lore but I've never gone above 5 ranks and dropped it down to 0 with the THW build.

Jumpkick
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
This looks like it could be a lot of fun. I think Monk has a lot of variety of how you want to build them. I liked the idea of doing brawling combat, but agree that it can get a bit tedious and boring at times. Having to rank up 3 times before something typically dies is bleh.

My current skills at 75 are:

Two Weapon Combat..................| 176 76
Combat Maneuvers...................| 252 152
Brawling...........................| 255 155
Ambush.............................| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 252 152
Dodging............................| 252 152
Harness Power......................| 150 50
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 176 76
Perception.........................| 150 50
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 105 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 20

lordsmo
07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Also the version of the Tsoran Trainer I have (4.2.10 I believe) does not seem to have accurate training costs. Unprotecting the sheet and changing the values does not change the calculation of how many points are used. Can anyone point me towards a version that is updated for monk builds?

lordsmo
07-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Trainer is found, thanks for the help.

Aluvius
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Open UAC isn't horrible its just annoying. You don't have the option to first strike disable like other squares do to mitigate the danger from casters. I think its less likely UAC will be changed as it is monks will gain some way to boost td/cva.

Androidpk
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Open UAC isn't horrible its just annoying. You don't have the option to first strike disable like other squares do to mitigate the danger from casters. I think its less likely UAC will be changed as it is monks will gain some way to boost td/cva.

There are ways to protect yourself against casters. Feint, of course, works well against that. Then there is my favorite, mental dispel, 1218. There is NO warding check at all with this spell. You cast it at something that is prepping a spell and they automatically lose it plus however much mana for the cost of the spell. It also causes nerve damage sometimes and will stun the target. It costs 19 mana but it is one of the most powerful monk spells I think.

cwolff
07-08-2013, 05:16 PM
You don't have the option to first strike disable like other squares do to mitigate the danger from casters

Kick works pretty well as a first strike disabler. Kick Left Leg \r aim clear \r ;combo \r I do that a lot and it works well. 1 kick in 6s seems to be more reliable and safer than 3 jabs at 9s.

Then there is my favorite, mental dispel, 1218. There is NO warding check at all with this spell.

I've never used 1218. Going to have to try it out.

Androidpk
07-08-2013, 08:10 PM
The great thing about stance of the mongoose is that it will activate even if you are in hard RT, which is perfect when you're dealing with bandits.

A half-elven thug swings a broadsword at you!
As you parry a half-elven thug's attack, you see an opportunity for immediate retaliation!
You swing a twin-edged golvern battle axe at a half-elven thug!
AS: +432 vs DS: +260 with AvD: +51 + d100 roll: +75 = +298
... and hit for 85 points of damage!
Gruesome slash opens the half-elven thug's forehead!
Grey matter spills forth!

Aluvius
07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
The bad news though is that it can lock you into more rt when you really, really don't want it. They should just remove the rt from it like they do with the warrior stances that have extra attacks/reactive bashes.

Androidpk
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
True but it is only 3 seconds and so far every time it has procced it has resulted in a stun or death. I think the trade off is well worth it.

Koah
07-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Incoming newb question: Why is everybody training in ambush, yet no stalk and hide?

Nathala Crane
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
For aiming purposes, commonly known as "open ambushing." The name of the skill is a bit misleading; it's not just for unexpected surprise attacks a la the Spanish Inquisition. :)

Androidpk
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Open aiming mainly requires CM but you'll still want around 40 ranks of ambush.

Jumpkick
07-09-2013, 11:51 AM
What are you using as far as armor? It doesn't look like you're training at all in it nor are you using any MnS spells?

lordsmo
07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
If you're in defensive stance when Mongoose activates does it retaliate with your defensive stance AS or your offensive stance AS?

Jumpkick
07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
You need to be in forward or greater for mongoose to trigger.

lordsmo
07-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info.

Looking at it, I'd probably go with slippery mind as my stance.

One more quick question: 1202 gives me the AvD, DF, and crit divisor of whatever armor it simulates, but not the CvA correct?

MrMortimur
07-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Correct, one of the biggest/only complaints about iron skin is the cva.