PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Monk

Koah
07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Returning to the lands and interested in rolling up a Monk. I know that these were released with the new UAC systems; but I was thinking of going with an open archer, or a thw (katana) user. Are Monks viable with these builds, or would I be better off with some other class?

I know the basic training path for each (for the most part), but anything new that's come out in the last 6 years or so would be good to know as well.

Thanks!

SonoftheNorth
07-05-2013, 07:03 PM
would I be better off with some other class?

yes

MrMortimur
07-05-2013, 07:32 PM
mid level monks are quite deadly with a 2h, but the TPs would be really tight for a good while. Rolling up a new monk can be a bit of a challenge as you'll be meleeing in full leather equiv armor..and the cheap dodge/PF you can train won't really start to add up to your benefit until your 20s.

Welcome back.

Androidpk
07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I actually just fixskilled my open UAC monk to THW.

Koah
07-05-2013, 08:05 PM
mid level monks are quite deadly with a 2h, but the TPs would be really tight for a good while. Rolling up a new monk can be a bit of a challenge as you'll be meleeing in full leather equiv armor..and the cheap dodge/PF you can train won't really start to add up to your benefit until your 20s.

Welcome back.

Thanks for the info.

I was skimming over some of the older posts, and it seems that THW Monks are awesome at Cap, but the highest level I've ever made it to is 30.

Is ranged a better starting option and then going to THW later on?

cwolff
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Is ranged a better starting option and then going to THW later on?

A UCS monk is just fine for most of the levels of the game. Ranged is not very good at lower levels for any profession including Ranger and the have spells to enhance it. I think it'd be frustrating as a monk.

If you're going THW you might just want make a warrior. You will also have the TP's to max brawling so you get to do both. I was doing a TWC monk and it was a mediocre build. I switched to UCS because it freed up more points for 1220 which is what I recommend for any monk. 20 MnMntl by lvl 20.

You CAN do any combat styles you want with a monk, just know that it's currently not that good and for each weapon type there will be a better option. I don't want to discourage you, they just aren't that good mechanically.

Androidpk
07-05-2013, 08:32 PM
UAC may not be ideal, at least open style, but monks do have other things that make them a decent class. Cheap cost of training for 3x dodge and 3x PT is pretty nice. 5 ranks of perfect self is also pretty damn good once you can swing the CM cost.