PDA

View Full Version : Weddings for gifts?

Gweneivia
06-22-2013, 09:51 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-gift-basket-sparks-epic-text-war--the-battle-over-cheap-presents--183304420.html

One of the two brides wrote: "Heyyy I just wanna say thanks for the gift but unfortunately I can't eat any of it lol I'm gluten intolerant. Do u maybe have a receipt[?]"
That was the first message, from one of the brides. The second, from the other bride, firmed up any question as to whether they felt the basket of candy and other goods made a suitable wedding gift.
"I'm not sure if it's the first wedding you have been to, but for your next wedding, people give envelopes," the bride/co-worker texted to the gift-givers. "I lost out on $200 covering you and your dates plate, and got fluffy whip and sour patch kids in return. Just a heads up for the future :)"

When I got married, I know my husband and I just wanted to throw a kick ass party for all our friends. The gifts were nice but certainly not expected, and while there were a few we didn't like or didn't think we'd use, it would have never even crossed my mind to do anything other than send a polite "thank you" note same as all the others. But so I know my future wedding going etiquette, am I supposed to only bring cash?

Jarvan
06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I would have replied back to the second one..

"Well the food sucked, and your party was boring, I figured the fluffy whip and sour patch kids was a suitable payment for what we got."

Seriously, who throws a party and expects people to pay for it? Granted, I paid for my best friends honeymoon when he got married, but then again, we had been friends since we were 12. But I have also been to weddings were I gave like 50 bucks. Then there was the friends wedding where I baked her wedding cake. A cheesecake wedding cake no less. That was my gift to her.

Remind me if I ever throw a GS get together (likely no one would come) that you all would be required to give a gift of at least the cost of the party divided by how many people attend.

Bobmuhthol
06-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, how surprising, you let lesbians get married and they immediately start acting like this.

Androidpk
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Lol. Your an idiot.

I have lost all hope for humanity.

Delias
06-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I have lost all hope for humanity.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm sure humanity's feelings for you are mutual.

diethx
06-22-2013, 11:46 AM
This bitch was really complaining about receiving Sour Patch Kids? Really?

Sometimes I just don't understand people. :(

diethx
06-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sure humanity's feelings for you are mutual.

Eh, you probably shouldn't speak for all of humanity. Just saying.

dszabo
06-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Damn, a, what appeared to be, pretty bitchin' picnic basket - I would have traded a number of my "nicer" presents for that at my wedding. You can only hang so many photos after all...

Leloo
06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
We just had a relative getting married and the bride had both a bridal shower and then the wedding that we got invited to. Both events had at the bottom listed "So and So is registered at..." So yeah they sort of just want the gifts. Both the shower and the wedding had different places listed so all in all we had to pay close to 500 bucks between the two. I didn't think you gave presents at both but her invitations were clear, presents for both.

Tisket
06-22-2013, 03:57 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-gift-basket-sparks-epic-text-war--the-battle-over-cheap-presents--183304420.html

When I got married, I know my husband and I just wanted to throw a kick ass party for all our friends. The gifts were nice but certainly not expected, and while there were a few we didn't like or didn't think we'd use, it would have never even crossed my mind to do anything other than send a polite "thank you" note same as all the others. But so I know my future wedding going etiquette, am I supposed to only bring cash?

Graciousness is a dying art.

Tgo01
06-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Wow, how surprising, you let lesbians get married and they immediately start acting like this.

DARN YOU! You beat me to it :(

ETA: I'm only 6 hours late to this thread after all.

Tgo01
06-22-2013, 04:06 PM
There are defenders of the brides: "If I know the couple is spending $100/plate, I make sure to give $250 or more not only to cover my and fiancees dinner but to give the newlyweds a gift as well. I am getting married in September and would be furious if this happened to me."

So if I get married 100 times...making 150 dollars profit per person I invite per wedding...hmm...be right back.

Tenlaar
06-22-2013, 04:09 PM
So am I just some crazy raging asshole, or are there other people here who would tell these people that they can take their demands and their shitty weddings and go fuck themselves? Expecting people to buy you things or give you money for stupid shit. My girlfriend got an invitation to a baby gender reveal party that flat out says on it "Everybody bring a covered dish." Not even a please. Mother fucker if you want to throw a party buy some fucking food.

Tisket
06-22-2013, 04:11 PM
So am I just some crazy raging asshole, or are there other people here who would tell these people that they can take their demands and their shitty weddings and go fuck themselves?

Uh, I think everyone who posted in the thread so far agrees...

Tgo01
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM
My girlfriend got an invitation to a baby gender reveal party

Is this a thing or is this just another way to say baby shower? Do people have both baby showers and baby gender reveal parties?

Tenlaar
06-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Uh, I think everyone who posted in the thread so far agrees...
The OP is asking if she should be planning on giving money to people. That pumpkin head girl up there went along with somebody's two presents for getting married scam. And nine other posts don't say anything about it. But I don't mean just thinking it's shitty and going along with it, I'm wondering how many people would actually tell the person that it's bullshit and not go.

Tolwynn
If they're that pointedly mercenary about things, give them a nicely-wrapped DIY divorce kit, at least you know there's a better-than-even chance they'll end up using it as opposed to yet another toaster or microwave.

Tenlaar
Is this a thing or is this just another way to say baby shower? Do people have both baby showers and baby gender reveal parties?

I'm assuming that there will be a baby shower too at some point.

Tgo01
06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming that there will be a baby shower too at some point.

Man, it's a good thing I don't have friends, I would go broke giving these people 150 dollars for each party.

diethx
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I could think of a better way to save their $100 per plate.

Not go to their shitty wedding and spend my Saturday having fun, instead.

Latrinsorm
06-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I am gravely disappointed that no one has yet thought to ask if one of the brides had had a pair of shoes stolen at a previous party thrown by the Sour Patch giver and had obtained no satisfaction from said giver. Everyone knows this is an ironclad exception to the rule that you shouldn't throw weddings just for gifts.
So am I just some crazy raging asshole, or are there other people here who would tell these people that they can take their demands and their shitty weddings and go fuck themselves? Expecting people to buy you things or give you money for stupid shit. My girlfriend got an invitation to a baby gender reveal party that flat out says on it "Everybody bring a covered dish." Not even a please. Mother fucker if you want to throw a party buy some fucking food.I don't know what godless liberal part of the country you're from, but "bring a plate to pass" is a very common statement in God's country.

diethx
06-22-2013, 04:54 PM
I am gravely disappointed that no one has yet thought to ask if one of the brides had had a pair of shoes stolen at a previous party thrown by the Sour Patch giver and had obtained no satisfaction from said giver.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Methais
06-22-2013, 04:59 PM

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/ronlrkeys/superman_flag.jpg

Taelinn
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
The OP is asking if she should be planning on giving money to people. That pumpkin head girl up there went along with somebody's two presents for getting married scam. And nine other posts don't say anything about it. But I don't mean just thinking it's shitty and going along with it, I'm wondering how many people would actually tell the person that it's bullshit and not go.

Most of my friends who have gotten married have registries with gifts from $10-up, so people can buy gifts at their own price point. The only people who tend to give money are relatives and wealthy, older family friends. I think it's awkward for similar age/income friends to gift money, and don't know anyone gauche enough to ask for it.

Tisket
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
But I don't mean just thinking it's shitty and going along with it, I'm wondering how many people would actually tell the person that it's bullshit and not go.

Because that's not boorish, ungracious behavior at all...

dszabo
06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
So if I get married 100 times...making 150 dollars profit per person

You're only profiting $50 (minimum) per couple. He states that the $250 is to cover his and his fiance's dinner, as well as provide a gift. So maybe you should get married 200 times.

ETA: My close friends all pooled together and gave us a nice cash gift at our wedding btw. I think that's a great way to go. It was only $20-$50 per person, but as a lump amount, it was a very nice gift, and much more then we had expected from them.

Taernath
06-22-2013, 07:48 PM
The last wedding I went to, they asked us to donate to a social justice-type charity instead.

So I didn't give anything.

Shit, this isn't the confession thread?

Xeta
06-22-2013, 10:22 PM
I thought marriages were about celebrating your love and having your friends/family coming to celebrate with you. Not about the gifts. What a shallow, self-absorbed cunt. Do not get me wrong, I believe that giving a gift to a new couple is a great idea, but it should be what you can afford give, not about repaying the couple for spending money on their occasion. The gall of some people.

Leloo
06-23-2013, 12:26 AM
I thought marriages were about celebrating your love and having your friends/family coming to celebrate with you. Not about the gifts. What a shallow, self-absorbed cunt. Do not get me wrong, I believe that giving a gift to a new couple is a great idea, but it should be what you can afford give, not about repaying the couple for spending money on their occasion. The gall of some people.

Dead on. There was a wedding show on TLC in which one of the weddings cost $900 per head... no way possible that the average guest could get anywhere near that. You choose to have a crazy expensive wedding then that's your decision.

Buckwheet
06-23-2013, 01:06 AM

They do both. In addition I thought a baby shower was only something people did for the first child. Not the second or seventh.

So we have been invited to a gender reveal party where they handed a baker their results and the baker make cupcakes with either pink or blue filling. So nobody knew until you ate the cupcake what it was. And then it was sit around and give gender neutral gifts. Then last week we got the invitation to the baby shower since the baby is due next month.

I tried to point out the retarded level of gift giving that is going on and was promptly told to shut the fuck up.

I know this is not just bridal gift giving but other gift giving I have objected to are giving cousins gifts from me for things like graduation and birthday presents. I am probably wrong, but when I turned 21 all my cousins came to my party and I got gifts from their parents. Now that they are graduating or having the big parties they expect gifts from me AND my parents. Fucking ingrates.

Also, who ever came up with a "push present" should be shot in the face. We had no idea there existed such a thing but as soon as the wife heard that she should be getting a diamond for popping out a kid, I never heard the end of it. Now its going around the office and all the women have these elaborate show off sessions over "what their man bought them". Its sickening. One of the ladies said that for every kid she has her diamond ring is going up a carat. She just had twins..ouch.

end rant

Leloo
06-23-2013, 01:58 AM
My favorite was my cousins sending graduation invites to my parents, cousins that lived in Colorado and Oregon. Clearly it was just sending an invite to them in order to get gifts for their graduating. I'll remember when I get married to invite all people that have no chance of coming just so they'll send gifts.

They do both. In addition I thought a baby shower was only something people did for the first child. Not the second or seventh.

So we have been invited to a gender reveal party where they handed a baker their results and the baker make cupcakes with either pink or blue filling. So nobody knew until you ate the cupcake what it was. And then it was sit around and give gender neutral gifts. Then last week we got the invitation to the baby shower since the baby is due next month.

I tried to point out the retarded level of gift giving that is going on and was promptly told to shut the fuck up.

I know this is not just bridal gift giving but other gift giving I have objected to are giving cousins gifts from me for things like graduation and birthday presents. I am probably wrong, but when I turned 21 all my cousins came to my party and I got gifts from their parents. Now that they are graduating or having the big parties they expect gifts from me AND my parents. Fucking ingrates.

Also, who ever came up with a "push present" should be shot in the face. We had no idea there existed such a thing but as soon as the wife heard that she should be getting a diamond for popping out a kid, I never heard the end of it. Now its going around the office and all the women have these elaborate show off sessions over "what their man bought them". Its sickening. One of the ladies said that for every kid she has her diamond ring is going up a carat. She just had twins..ouch.

end rant

Tisket
06-23-2013, 02:40 AM
My favorite was my cousins sending graduation invites to my parents, cousins that lived in Colorado and Oregon. Clearly it was just sending an invite to them in order to get gifts for their graduating. I'll remember when I get married to invite all people that have no chance of coming just so they'll send gifts.

Oh come on, don't attribute ulterior motives because people invite all their relatives. Can you imagine the hurt feelings if you didn't invite your own relatives? Besides, you don't send wedding invites to just people that happen to live close by. One of my aunts lived in Hawaii when I got married. She had health issues and wasn't able to fly at the time but she'd have knifed me if she didn't receive an invitation.

4a6c1
06-23-2013, 03:16 AM
Oh come on, don't attribute ulterior motives because people invite all their relatives. Can you imagine the hurt feelings if you didn't invite your own relatives? Besides, you don't send wedding invites to just people that happen to live close by. One of my aunts lived in Hawaii when I got married. She had health issues and wasn't able to fly at the time but she'd have knifed me if she didn't receive an invitation.

NOBODY FUCKING CARES

Also the concept of a gender reveal party really freaks me out. Like how do you know when to start cheering and clapping? Am I supposed to boo if it's a boy or is every outcome obligatory golf clap even hemorphodite genitals? What if I start cheering and clapping at the wrong time, like if the baker accidentally packs one pink cupcake and I'm the only one hooting and fist rolling for a girl baby.

Lord Orbstar
06-23-2013, 05:29 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/bridezillas-crazy-email-bridesmaids-goes-viral-respond-her-201500809.html

Tisket
06-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Also the concept of a gender reveal party really freaks me out. Like how do you know when to start cheering and clapping? Am I supposed to boo if it's a boy or is every outcome obligatory golf clap even hemorphodite genitals? What if I start cheering and clapping at the wrong time, like if the baker accidentally packs one pink cupcake and I'm the only one hooting and fist rolling for a girl baby.

NOBODY FUCKING CARES

There, fixed that for you.

Buckwheet
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
It was very awkward for the reveal party. Everyone showed up and was unsure what we were supposed to be doing. So then the tray of cupcakes comes out and as they are handed out I didn't know what I was supposed to be excited for and it appeared many others did not.

So then it was like a mega cheese 3.2.1 BITE! And it was blue filling. I didn't know what to do or say because uh...we already were excited for them that they were having a child. I did know he had only girls before this so I just said something stupid like "Congrats on extended lineage."

If I had to go again, I would just pretend it was some kind of tea and cake gathering and not some socially awkward reveal party.

Tgo01
06-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah I just don't see the point in a gender reveal party. Aren't you supposed to be happy for the couple no matter what? I mean it's not like they had a gender in mind that they really wanted so you cheer or boo depending on what the reveal is.

Tisket
06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Be funny if the parents throwing a gender reveal party had a baker with a sense of humor. Cupcakes with orange or green centers! The guests would be all like "...wtf" and it wouldn't be over the party itself.

Latrinsorm
06-23-2013, 01:55 PM
So we have been invited to a gender reveal party where they handed a baker their results and the baker make cupcakes with either pink or blue filling. So nobody knew until you ate the cupcake what it was.That's a pretty cute idea, actually. There is an asymmetric level of interest in the child's gender that as you say weakens the punchline, of course, but that's already well-established. I wouldn't hold that part of it against them.
One of my aunts lived in Hawaii when I got married. She had health issues and wasn't able to fly at the time but she'd have knifed me if she didn't receive an invitation.For a lady with health issues she has a hell of an arm.

Tisket
06-23-2013, 02:08 PM
She would've hired someone to do the deed. The woman is scary.

thefarmer
06-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Be funny if the parents throwing a gender reveal party had a baker with a sense of humor. Cupcakes with orange or green centers! The guests would be all like "...wtf" and it wouldn't be over the party itself.

So they would be revealing they're going to have.. an ooompa loompa?

http://boredidiot.com/wp-content/themes/grido/themify/img.php?src=http://boredidiot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Willy-Wonka-oompa-loompa-attacks-man-virginia-1024x574.jpg&w=670&h=

Methais
06-23-2013, 02:34 PM
What kind of pretentious assholes throw a gender reveal party? That's just fucking ridiculous. You're having a kid, good for you, I hope it doesn't come out retarded. Now fuck off.

Tgo01
06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
What kind of pretentious assholes throw a gender reveal party? That's just fucking ridiculous. You're having a kid, good for you, I hope it doesn't come out retarded. Now fuck off.

So I shouldn't have a conception party?

Tisket
06-23-2013, 02:40 PM
So they would be revealing they're going to have.. an ooompa loompa?

http://boredidiot.com/wp-content/themes/grido/themify/img.php?src=http://boredidiot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Willy-Wonka-oompa-loompa-attacks-man-virginia-1024x574.jpg&w=670&h=

haha, why is it that I always have to actually say that out loud when I read it? "OOMPA LOOMPA!" It's fun to say.

Tisket
06-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Don't most men consider that a party anyway?

Drew
06-23-2013, 02:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRzBpFjJS8

Drew
06-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I didn't know that weddings were investment vehicles now. Gotta make a net profit!

Methais
06-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Only if it's being filmed.

SHAFT
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM

9 times out if 10 I agree with methais. This is one of those times. A party to reveal the gender? Come on. That's right up there with having graduations for 3rd, 4th, 5th grade. Absolutely pointless.

Tgo01
06-23-2013, 03:26 PM
9 times out if 10 I agree with methais. This is one of those times. A party to reveal the gender? Come on. That's right up there with having graduations for 3rd, 4th, 5th grade. Absolutely pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7c1HDUHlJo

Methais
06-23-2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mUG29hPS4Y

Tisket
06-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I'll never swim again.