PDA

View Full Version : Harsher death penalty?

SanGreal
08-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Ok, I keep reading people saying how everything will change once the new death system is in place because death will no longer be meaningless. Am I the only one that doesn't see this. Even losing 1000 exp like we do now will set my advancement back by a good 30-45 minutes. With the new death system the punishment is slated to last 10 minutes, which is less time than it takes me to get spelled up and full spirit. Then there is the 1pt of constitution, but that certainly is not going to stop anyone from hunting, and you earn it back while you hunt. It seems to me that at most, the new death system will have the same effect of a 30-40 minute advancement penalty if you decay without deeds.

Is there some key piece to the new system that I am missing?

Bobmuhthol
08-21-2004, 09:40 PM
<<Even losing 1000 exp like we do now will set my advancement back by a good 30-45 minutes.>>

1000 experience lets me:

Continue killing as normal.
Get the experience back after absorbing for about 15 minutes due to XXX.

SanGreal
08-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<Even losing 1000 exp like we do now will set my advancement back by a good 30-45 minutes.>>

1000 experience lets me:

Continue killing as normal.
Get the experience back after absorbing for about 15 minutes due to XXX.

You can continue hunting immediately, but you lose 1000 exp.

The new death penalty lets you:
Continue killing after 10 minutes.
Get all the experience while you do so

Unless I'm missing something

StrayRogue
08-22-2004, 06:43 AM
1000 Exp doesn't stop me hunting, and can be absorbed in less than 30 minutes, while hunting. Its pathetic really. When people are choosing to decay rather than get rescued, there is something wrong with the death mechanics. As it now stands I can decay and have the DR worked off quicker than waiting for a fogger, a healer, my raise, then my spirit.

Artha
08-22-2004, 06:57 AM
I can usually kill off most of the XXX just from hunting from belled to fried and then resting down to muddled.

Nakiro
08-22-2004, 07:11 AM
The temporary stat hits will prevent people from running back out in the field, which is what I think they are going for in the long run.

I like it because it won't punish the player but the character, by making the character suck at life for 10 - 40 minutes.

Artha
08-22-2004, 07:20 AM
I also hope something carries over, and people like Dionisius who have a huge amount of DR have some big sort of penalty.

Nakiro
08-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I think 20 minutes of 40% stat reduction for every 1k in DR, plus -1 to con up to 75% for each 1k in DR, would be fair.

OoK
09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
"The temporary stat hits will prevent people from running back out in the field, which is what I think they are going for in the long run."

No it won't. I'll decay MORE under the new system than the old one, I imagine. I hate throwing away 1000 experience, regardless of how quickly I could get it back. However, the stat loss IMHO is minimal, and by the time I get everything back together and get spelled up, half of that penalty will be gone.

Again, I'll have to see what's what once the new death mechanics do come out. I don't think it will change anything, really.

-OoK

Xenostrus
09-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Dionisius has approximately 589,736 DR points. That new system is gonna suck ass for him!

Slider
09-09-2004, 03:30 AM
I was under the impression that the 1 point of CON loss was permanent, and could only be regained by normal stat progression. ie. WTFever it is for your class, not just for a few minutes. If that was true, it would definatly cut down on the number of decays, and the number of killings that have been so rampant lately. -1 CON point might not make that much of a difference...but you start racking up those deaths....can get really nasty, really fast.

Just my take on what i read when they first posted it.

Nakiro
09-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Death will involve a 40% reduction in all stats with stat regeneration depending on the status of deeds the of the person who dies and how they regain life.

Time ranges between 10 minutes to 40 minutes.

Con loss will incur at 1 + each previous "death" (as seen on EXP) that level, to a maximum of five points per death to the point where a reduction of maximum hp is equal to 25% of otherwise possible max health points.

Con loss will be regained through experience absorption at a rate of 1 point per 1k exp or alternatively through some sort of purchasble religious ceremony.

That's about it. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

fallenSaint
09-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Yea that Con loss can stack up fast and youll find yourself with shit for HP. And also the new system makes cleric's bless ability fuggin useful finally.

Gan
09-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Xenostrus
Dionisius has approximately 589,736 DR points. That new system is gonna suck ass for him!

And you're proud of that?

Drew
09-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by fallenSaint
And also the new system makes cleric's bless ability fuggin useful finally.

I must be missing something, how does it make it useful?

Xenostrus
09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Did anywhere in my post did it say that I was proud of Dionisius's DR points or was I merely stating the fact that life was going to be hell for him because of it. Please stop being a smart ass because all it will do is cause more smart ass replies like this one...bitch!

Latrinsorm
09-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Drew
I must be missing something, how does it make it useful? From the website:[quote]4. Chrism

blah blah blah Also, the Death Recovery penalty will be lessened by a certain percentage.