PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health

Delirium
08-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Anyone out there have mental health problems? Recently (like in the past two months) i started taking lexapro for depression and anxiety. I also suffer from social phobia so i tend to hide in my house as much as possible. Today was my second ever therapy appointment and now i have actual proof i have these things instead of just assuming it. I am officially crazy. Not enough that anyone is hospitalizing me against my will or anything but i was probably heading in that direction which is why i decided to go get help. The fork in the road was there and i choose the harder road for once in my life. This will probably be my last post here for a while as i try to get myself under control,feel free to flame away.

Wezas
08-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I have trouble remembering things. Mainly if someone gives me a list of things, I might remember the last 1 or 2.

Took Welbutrin for a month or so - no difference so I stopped taking it.

I brought it up to Mom a few years ago. She said "Oh, yeah, we had you tested, and you had some kind of memory issues just like that."

Thanks mom. Just wait till I put you in Shady Pines. We'll see how your mental health goes.

Blazing247
08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
< Today was my second ever therapy appointment and now i have actual proof i have these things instead of just assuming it.>

Not to belittle your claim, but did you ever think that maybe you manifested these problems on your own? Like the hypochondriac who worries about his phantom heart pains so much that he actually gives himself a heart attack?

Either way, best of luck to you. I know a lot of people who suffered from clinical depression in their youth and it's a long, uphill battle. I hope it all turns out well.

Nakiro
08-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Congrats, keep on fightin' those problems! :punch:

Wezas
08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Nakiro
Congrats, keep on fightin' those problems! :punch:

The whole purpose of your post is to be able to use that Smiley, isn't it?

HarmNone
08-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Hang in there, hon. These problems can be dealt with, and you have recognized the need to deal with them. That is very commendable. You've got a battle ahead of you, but it sounds like you're up to the fight. :)

HarmNone will light a candle for you, and will keep you in her thoughts

Betheny
08-20-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm psychotic and sociopathic. Not to mention homicidal and filled with rage.

Will you be my friend?

Wezas
08-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I'm psychotic and sociopathic. Not to mention homicidal and filled with rage.

Will you be my friend?

If you have an oral fixation and an extreme case of nymphomania then possibly.

Betheny
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Wezas, honey, you are too pussy whipped to even come and hang out in a group setting. So your chances of experiencing my nymphomania and oral fixation are rather low.

Wezas
08-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
Wezas, honey, you are too pussy whipped to even come and hang out in a group setting. So your chances of experiencing my nymphomania and oral fixation are rather low.

You internet freaks are scary, what can I say?

Betheny
08-20-2004, 07:48 PM
:shoot: Wezas.

It's all relative.

Chadj
08-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Clinically depressed, aggressive behavior. Welbutrin.

ADD. Claratin.

Back
08-20-2004, 09:07 PM
After battling depression over the years, I’ve come to find the best medicine is self administrated. At least in my case. For example, (IE) I know that if I go an entire day without talking to someone on a somewhat personal level I'm going to feel really lonely and that sucks me into depression.

Call me an internet freak if you want. Lord knows I am into the internet and kinda freaky. The internet, while a modern marvel that stands in the company of great leaps forward like TV, the Guttenburg Press and the Library of Alexandria, can also be a social substitute at times, though nowhere near the value of “real” human interaction.

It can be a good stepping stone to it, however. It is a social activity and we are social animals after all...

08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
I just started taking lexapro.

It makes me a little more tired, and not want to do certain fun activities as much.

But then again, while taking it, I have to drink less alcohol to get fucked up, so it's a nice balance.

Oh and I have GAD with panic disorder, but I haven't been allowed to get my hands on xanax after some real unforunate incidents.
Thank goodness collegio is around the corner.

Ilvane
08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Yep, I started taking Celexa recently in dealing with the death of my father, and a bunch of other things that I had to deal with. Therapy works too, if you need someone impartial to listen to you.

It's not uncommon, as you can tell by the posts here anyway.:)

It *will* get better, if you give it the time.

-A

Edaarin
08-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Funny thing about personality disorders. Most people are unaware they have them, or stay in a state of extreme denial for awhile.

Tirayana
08-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Funny thing about personality disorders. Most people are unaware they have them, or stay in a state of extreme denial for awhile.

Yep, so true. And end up being miserable for a year or two before they figure it out. But once they see something's wrong, I think most people take action to fix it..and it ends up being a really good thing in the end, because they are happier.

Meos
08-21-2004, 02:38 AM
"I smoke weed and I got brain damage,
but I don't give a fuck cuz I still manage."

Weedmage Princess
08-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Your problem is you like the Red Sox, Delirium :P

In all seriousness, I wish you the best. Whether you take medication or not, however you might deal with your issue...addressing the issue with a professional is the best thing you could have done for yourself. Now you are well on your way to finding a solution and solving your problem. Best wishes with that :)

Wezas: Funny you say that.. My memory absolutely BLOWS. But the weird thing is when I was little, my memory was great. Well..anyway they also put me on Wellbutrin which did JACK. Did they give you anything else after?

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Weedmage Princess]

Nakiro
08-21-2004, 05:46 AM
To answer your question, Wezas, yes. Now please try not to go :offtopic: and fill this thread with :spam: . Now :stfu: or else I will have to request that you get a :ban: , which if I do it will happen because everyone here :love: s me and :respect: s me because I am the :ultimate: board poster. And even if that fails, I will give you the :penis: through the skull.

I am sure I have some mental problem, and I wouldnt' be surprised if it was associated with smilies.

Edited to stay on topic.

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Nakiro]

Jazuela
08-21-2004, 12:40 PM
I have every symptom of ADD except for the hyperactivity (which only happens in people with ADHD, not ADD). I've had trouble with short-term memory since I was a kid - my long-term memory can be flawless at times. I don't remember writing down my work schedule, which I got just an hour ago, but I remember what it felt like to sit in my crib at age 2. Go figure.

I have extreme bouts of lethargy, I have always had difficulty concentrating and a hearing loss makes it even worse. I daydream constantly, my brain refuses to stop thinking -very loudly-, I have trouble falling asleep but once I manage to get there I'm out like a light. Etc. etc. etc. every freaking symptom of ADD.

So the shrink said I have "classic" bipolar syndrome and gave me Prozac. After 6 months of gritting my teeth, severe weight-loss and gain, nervous tension, chain-smoking, and feeling like a zombie, I went back to the doc and told him this was nuts. He took me off Prozac, gave me Anafranil. I took ONE. That was enough. It was bad enough that I asked my husband if he'd consider driving me to a mental hospital because I felt like I'd lost complete control of my sanity.

I tossed the rest of the Anafranil in the trash and have refused to take another pill to "fix" myself ever since. As far as I'm concerned now, I'm not broken, there is nothing to fix. I like me exactly the way I am, and I'm the only one who really has to live with me so fuck the rest of the world if they don't like it.

Fortunately, my husband agrees and loves me "as is" also.

Roberta - NOT damaged goods.

Latrinsorm
08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Originally posted by Jazuela
As far as I'm concerned now, I'm not broken, there is nothing to fix.Heehee. :D

Also, this is the first time in awhile the board had made me feel better by comparison. Feeling awkward around pretty girls doesn't sound near as bad as some of this stuff. Thx guys, and here's to a speedy recovery!

Urinal Poops
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I actually had a mental health problem. Went through making all my tag names urinal poops, can you believe that?

DeV
08-21-2004, 08:31 PM
<-- ADD. Best of luck with everything Delirium. Believe in yourself and let your focus be gaining a healthy state of mind down the road. I hope everything goes well for you.

AnticorRifling
08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
I saw the name of this thread and thought of the hair band song I think it was quiet riot or twisted sister. Mental health will make you crazy, mental health will drive you mad. Bang your head, wake the dead!

Ahh hair bands..

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-21-2004, 08:52 PM
I think we over medicate and over analyze everything. Stop, deal with your life, and MOST (not all) the perceived problems go away.

Oh, I'm probably bi-polar, dyslexic, ADD, ADHD, AAA, OBGYN and whatever else you can think of, if you go enough doctors, someone will diagnose you I'm sure.

DeV
08-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Some medicines even cause more mental health problems than when you started. My boss takes Paxil for what, I'm not sure. The side effects give her quite a healthy dose of craziness.

CrystalTears
08-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Many of the antidepressants majorly affect your sex drive. Hell I would think sex is what would help subside the depression.. it would for me! :D

08-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Many of the antidepressants majorly affect your sex drive. Hell I would think sex is what would help subside the depression.. it would for me! :D

I call for a PC orgy of the willing..

Edited to add: As a very serious sidenote, lexapro will decrease your libido, NOT THAT IT HAS MINE, and force you to succumb to internet orgies. Thank you.

..in the name of lessening the burden of mental health problems, and such, and such.

[Edited on 8-22-2004 by Stanley Burrell]

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Everyone without red highlights in their hair is invited!

08-21-2004, 09:55 PM
I'll just drown myself in sex inhibiting lexapro. Sniff... :cry:

Weedmage Princess
08-22-2004, 08:45 AM
SHM, if you have OBGYN anything, I'm suddenly very nervous.

Oh and though you make a nice looking guy, you're a horrendously hideous beast of a woman. Sorry.

Soulpieced
08-22-2004, 09:40 AM
I have no problems. You're all crazy, the end.

Soulpieced ==>:grin:

Everyone else on PC ==> :spaz: