PDA

View Full Version : I love it when they answer :)

Artha
08-23-2003, 03:34 PM
I found an AFK person making arrows, because there's been a problem with tables in the bakery getting completely filled with arrows...so I went and found the scripter.

Report Person is AFK scriping in the Flying Tart Table in Ice Mule, she did not respond at all to a whisper, but did continue to make arrows.

SEND[Mahegh] Thanks alot for the heads up.

Reyek
09-01-2003, 06:11 PM
LOL i know who your reffering to. actually i wrote that script she was using. I told her not to do it AFK but she did it anyway

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by Reyek]

Gizmo
09-01-2003, 06:22 PM
It's so much easier to go afk in a room, with a trash can..CLose all your items, deposit all your coins and close your group..Not only can you go afk, but you don't make a damn mess. I do it in Thraks Trophy Room

Reyek
09-01-2003, 06:29 PM
i know its a silly script but i mastered fletching in 3 days with it. did its job

Adhara
09-01-2003, 08:59 PM
I happily report all AFK scripters. The Landing has had a LOT of afk rat scripters lately. I am kind enough to give them a warning in whisper that I will report them if they don't respond.

I also love toying around with them until I find a string that makes them exit.

Betheny
09-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Never script AFK.

I've been 'checked in' on by Elbrion three times since I started playing my warrior.

Scott
09-02-2003, 12:29 AM
AFK scripting of =any= kind is entirely against policy and is an immediately warnable offense (If your attention is not in the game window, you should log out of the game or stop any experience, skill or money gaining activities to avoid being warned. The excuse that you looked away from the keyboard or left your desk only for a few minutes will not prevent you from gaining a warning since the staff will have no way of verifying that fact).

Exceptions: In general, if you are running a script or are in Rest Mode and are not gaining any =new= experience, skills, money, or an in-game advantage, it does not fall under this policy.

Gizmo
09-02-2003, 12:40 AM
I script fletching...Granted I'm always staring at myself...Thinkin on the net and what not...It doesn't even last long for me to go get a drink heh..If I have to go afk I get up and shut it off then turn it back on

longshot
09-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Adhara
I happily report all AFK scripters. The Landing has had a LOT of afk rat scripters lately. I am kind enough to give them a warning in whisper that I will report them if they don't respond.

I also love toying around with them until I find a string that makes them exit.

I always report them as well.

I don't try to hang them. If they don't whisper back, they're done.:cool:

Makkah
09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
<<..If I have to go afk I get up and shut it off then turn it back on>>

Congrats. I don't.

rht

Tendarian
09-02-2003, 10:08 AM
If a scripter is bugging you i agree and would also report. But to go to a spot just to find scripters and then harrass and report them reminds me of the kid in school who reminds the teacher they forgot to assign homework.

Adhara
09-02-2003, 11:00 AM
I don't go looking for scripters, I stumble upon them. Harass them? Hang on let me finish laughing before I respond to that... They are guilty of a warnable offense and I give them a chance to "wake up" before I report them. Harassment is to irritate persistently. Mind you they must be irritated indeed when I report them but it's by no means persistent. If you were attempting to make me feel guilty for reporting scripters, let me tell you that it failed miserably. I am adamant on the matter. The analogy of the little kid was way off. It's more like reporting a neighbor to the police for fraud after you've told him politely that what he's doing is illegal.

And Daina as Sintik put it, any afk scripting from which you gain *something* (money, experience, skill) is against policy and that certainly covers all artisan skills. Scrolling the screen also falls under policy. So if I had a script that made me roll over every 3 seconds I could get warned for it. How strictly they enforce policy always depends on the GM of course.

Tendarian
09-02-2003, 11:03 AM
If you stumble upon them in your hunting ground i wasnt talking about you Adhara. Im talking about the people who are level 20+ who go to the ratacombs to do nothing but look for scripters to bug. The words get a life comes to mind. No that wasnt directed at you either as you stumble upon them :)

Straight-up
09-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Afk scripting is NOT illegal. Afk scripting that yields any kind of gain IS or that is disruptive. So you could run a script that walked you back and forth from the landing to Solhaven all day long afk with no fear. However gaining artisan guild reps, exp, silver, items, skill of any kind...instruments, guild etc is a no no.

Straight

Adhara
09-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Hunting the script hunters would be boring for me but all the power to them. The more dangerous script hunting is, the less people will do it. Or the smarter the scripts will get which is *some* improvement at least. If a script is so good that I don't notice it then it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It doesn't change my opinion that it's wrong and unfair for those who take the time, but at least it wouldn't piss me off while I play!

Tendarian
09-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Ahhh then definately my comment wasnt aimed at you Adhara. I have no trouble with people reporting if a scripter is annoying them. My problem is with the people who go out of their way to search for them and who spend their whole time in the game in the rat well as if they are some crusader of virtue.

longshot
09-02-2003, 11:39 AM
This is all Kranar's fault

peam
09-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Reporting scripters is lame.

That is all.

Bobmuhthol
09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Whatever you say, scripter.

Taernath
09-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by peam
Reporting scripters is lame.

That is all.

I only report them if they're annoying. Like:

You swing a sharp object at a critter!
RT: 5 seconds.

Scripter just arrived.

Scripter just went west.

Scripter just arrived.

Scripter just north.

Scripter just arrived.

Scripter just went east.

Scripter just arrived.

Scripter just went south.

>att
Wait 3 more seconds...

peam
09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
The only reason I would ever think about reporting someone who was obviously scripting would be if they were hampering my enjoyment of the game.

Fortunately, most scripts in mass use now are careful to avoid such mishaps. (ex: poaching, searching kills that aren't yours, etc)

The common player isn't a police force, and attempting to gain brownie points by reporting a victimless crime is evil.

Bestatte
09-02-2003, 12:56 PM
One time. I was in that building in Solhaven..where those wyverns are outside and the eidolons are inside.. (it's been awhile, I can't remember the name of that place).

And some scripter was being *really obvious* about scripting. I had tried to interact with him because he and I were sharing the space and it just seemed natural to acknowledge his presence..and he didn't respond and just kept going on and on.

So a little while later I see him going into a room that had a door, and coming back out again, over and over..just killing whatever spawned, leaving, and coming in to wait for the next spawned critter.

Well..I reported up to let them know, and the next time he left the room I closed the door. Of course his script didn't know that, so he just kept bumping his head into the door over and over again, and I'm sitting at my computer laughing my ass off.

After a minute or two, he disappeared. I never saw him again.

Vesi
09-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I remember when I first started playing there was a guy I had met in kappas. One evening I went there and he was there and I started talking to him. He didn't respond so I thought he had really bad lag. All of a sudden I get a whisper from him saying he's scripting and really having dinner with his dad. I just smiled at him like an idiot because I didn't know what the heck scripting was. Wonder if I would have gotten in trouble just knowing that he was doing it? I honestly didn't know what scripting was. Took me forever before I would even use a traveling script after I did find out.

Vesi

Adhara
09-02-2003, 08:08 PM
victimless crime? That made me choke on my 7up. Dozens of people's enjoyment is affected. They are all victims.

Even if you don't consider yourself a victim, if you witness something illegal done, whether you report it depends on your alignment as a person. If I witness someone stealing from the store I am in, even though the shopowner is the victim and not me, I will report it. I must be lawful neutral or something. I totally despise those who suck up to GMs and the only reason I report scripters is not to earn brownie points but just to make this game as fun for me as it is supposed to be.

peam
09-02-2003, 10:24 PM
If your enjoyment if compromised by a nonresponsive person, I don't understand why you're still around. The game's full of them.

Scott
09-02-2003, 10:26 PM
<<If I witness someone stealing from the store I am in, even though the shopowner is the victim and not me, I will report it.>>

That is effecting someone. An AFK scripter at a table isn't effecting anyone.

<<the only reason I report scripters is not to earn brownie points but just to make this game as fun for me as it is supposed to be.>>

How did getting rid of an AFK scripter at a table make the fame more fun for you?

Betheny
09-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Scripting AFK is against policy. Without rules, life would be teh suck in Gemstone. We'd have bots far and wide. Do any of us want a repeat of the early days of Ragnarok Online?

Adhara
09-02-2003, 11:13 PM
That is effecting someone. An AFK scripter at a table isn't effecting anyone.

Well the first thing that comes to mind is the roomful of arrow shafts on the floor. Picking up someone's trash or keep trying different tables until I find one scripters haven't monopolized is affecting me and others.

How did getting rid of an AFK scripter at a table make the game more fun for you?

It made me a little more proud to be a master fletcher. I actually spent all the hours at the keyboard to earn the title and I like to think that all my fellow masters did the same.

It so happens that I feel it affects me but, as Maimara pointed out, any afk scripting for money, exp or skills is against policy and, even if I didn't feel affected I would still report it for the sake of fairness.