PDA

View Full Version : Stem cell research....

Stinkfist
08-20-2004, 08:06 AM
I had a discussion today with a friend about using stem cells to clone defective body parts for people...

His big complaint was using an aborted fetus
is wrong.

I agreed. What he didn't realize is that there are tons of stem cells left in the umbilicle cord after birth.

I think that they should legalize research using those particular stem cells. If we kept a babies UC at birth and preserved them until say kidney or liver disease sets in, we could clone specific body parts and greatly lengthen human longevity.

Not to mention the fact that you could possibly smoke till your lungs rot, then just get some new ones....

:injured:

DeV
08-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm all for stem cell research. I believe Bush is against it and I think he's letting his religious beliefs interfere with something that could help millions of people.

xShadowMerchantx
08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Religious beliefs ruin everything

Praefection
08-20-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm all for it. While I am aware of where the stem cells come from I think the benifit would be far greater than letting your morals get in the way of possibly saving millions of lives. What I'm not saying is go out and abort children just so they can get the stem cells for use.

And I'm not trying to say stop having religious morals/beliefs but I think this is a line Bush should cross. If the cells are aquired through legal means. For example, if a mother aborts her child and yes, I think the choice is hers, she should be able to allow the use of the child for science. I see this as the same as a child/spouse dying and donating their parts and organs. Just for a different cause.

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
My coworker's best friend has leukemia and stem cell research could have helped him preserve his life but now he has to wait.

His wife just bad a baby so they had the umbilical cord to preserve the cells, but because Bush said no they can't continue with the research. It's rather sad that this guy won't be able to get the care he could really benefit from. I don't see how it hurts anyone.

Chadj
08-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by xShadowMerchantx

Yes.

Chadj
08-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by xShadowMerchantx

Yes.

Tirayana
08-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I root for stem cell research. Bush is a fucking idiot, and if he's so fucking religious then maybe he should stop lying to all of the Americans and stop waging wars over dumb shit, and oh yeah..killing thousands of innocent people, too.

Fucking asshole.

Valthissa
08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Stinkfist
I had a discussion today with a friend about using stem cells to clone defective body parts for people...

His big complaint was using an aborted fetus
is wrong.

I agreed. What he didn't realize is that there are tons of stem cells left in the umbilicle cord after birth.

I think that they should legalize research using those particular stem cells. If we kept a babies UC at birth and preserved them until say kidney or liver disease sets in, we could clone specific body parts and greatly lengthen human longevity.

Not to mention the fact that you could possibly smoke till your lungs rot, then just get some new ones....

:injured:

Ummm…

you all do know that umbilical stem cells have been used continuously since 1957 (the year of my birth) for treatment of leukemia and other cancers(you've probably heard of bone marrow transplants)...and that adult stem cell research is not only legal but far more advanced than embryonic stem cell research at this time….adult stem cells treat 100 or so diseases – embryonic stem cells have yet to be successfully tested in mice (let alone humans)

Do not read any of the above as an endorsement of the status quo…just trying to make sure people debate with facts.

C/Valth

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Bush isn't allowing ANY stem cell research right now, that's the problem.

Parkbandit
08-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Bush isn't allowing ANY stem cell research right now, that's the problem.

Democratic Propoganda Machine is working hard so you will believe this.. but it's completely untrue.

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Well then someone needs to talk to my coworker's friend's doctor because they can't go along with the leukemia treatment that would involve stem cell research because they weren't allowed to.

I'll have to talk to him.

DeV
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Human embryonic stem cell research is at the center of this debate. PB is right, Bush has allowed limited stem cell research to move forward. The federal restrictions are what has limited the scientists in their research but most private companies have found ways to work around those restrictions.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Well then someone needs to talk to my coworker's friend's doctor because they can't go along with the leukemia treatment that would involve stem cell research because they weren't allowed to.

I'll have to talk to him.

Not saying that isn't true, but what makes you think it was Bush that said no, don't provide leukemia treatment to this person. Maybe it was insurance? Maybe it was the hospital? Who knows?

BTW - Clinton (whom I think was overall bad for the presidency, allowed stem cell research in his first like, 90 days of presidency)... good for him. One of the few things I thought was good about him.

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Heh, that's what I was told by my coworker. That the treatment was put on hold because of the stop on the research. Like I said I'll have to ask him about that again.

Parkbandit
08-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I think Bush's stand on it is stupid.. but I'm also against most of his religious based stances. I'll also add that the Democrats are exaggerating the claims of the stem cell research being the end all be all medical breakthrough of the millennium.

DeV
08-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I'd give scientists another decade or two before we see some medical breakthroughs resulting from embryonic research.

Wezas
08-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I say we take the worst child molesters and do guinea pig experiments on them until we find some cures.

Parkbandit
08-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
I say we take the worst child molesters and do guinea pig experiments on them until we find some cures.

Not very bleeding heart liberal of you Wezas.. there MAY be hope for you yet!

I love the idea!!!

Valthissa
08-20-2004, 05:31 PM
I'll try one more time...

Adult stem cells - currently in research...providing cures since the early 80's

Embryonic stem cells - currently in research...no viable results in mice as of today (August 21st, 2004)

The future may well be in embryonic stem cell research...but it's a little early to make that determination.

C/Valth

Wezas
08-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Not very bleeding heart liberal of you Wezas..

I'll work on that.

The Trees! Don't tear down the trees! I've almost convinced my whole family to trade in their gas guzzlers for a Prius - the best car in the world!

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 06:05 PM
And one time again for me...

I was stating what I was told by someone who is being denied treatment through stem cell research because of this mess. I'm sorry that I said that it was Bush's doing, but something in that neck of the woods is not letting them go through with it for whatever reason, so I assumed. I screwed up. Sue me.

We get it, Valthissa. You the bomb. You know it all. I was just going on what I heard from the poor dying guy. K? :smug:

Parkbandit
08-20-2004, 06:09 PM
I love the new and improved CrystalTears... no punches pulled.

So.. do you find old men sexy?? :smug:

CrystalTears
08-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes sir! :heart: PB.

Betheny
08-20-2004, 07:43 PM
It amuses me that something useful like stem cell research recieves the axe, yet something really NOT useful -- like NIEHS's using how many hundreds of thousands of dollars to research OFFICE ENVIRONMENTS (I shit you not -- They purchase crystal vases and shit to 'spruce up' offices to see if it improves people's moods. ?!) recieve more grant money.

This whole thing is assinine, but it sort of makes sense. There's a LOT more money in treating symptoms than curing diseases... Sick. Way to go, Dubya and Co. :down:

08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Um, there's a huge difference between using bone or placental stem cells as opposed to embryonic stem cells. Not to mention that once a laboratory possesses adequate amount of embryonic stem cells, they can be cloned for cell lining which Bush is probably to dumb to have thought about.

Back
08-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey now, Bush approved Stem Cell research as long as the cells were taken before a certain year. (Talk about flip-floppers, so stem cells before the certain year are ok, but any more arem't?)

You religious people with your judgemental morals can go live on an island and get all mutated.

The rest of us are looking towards a good future.

08-20-2004, 10:12 PM
and you can keep on cloning embryonic stem cells inherently proving the fortunate lack of communication between conservatives in the NIH and the Bush administration.

Betheny
08-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I think it's fairly widely accepted that Bush isn't going to be around much longer, thus nobody really gives a shit what he says. :drool:

Back
08-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I think it's fairly widely accepted that Bush isn't going to be around much longer, thus nobody really gives a shit what he says. :drool:

LOL@! Tell it like it is why don‘tcha.

Betheny
08-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Backlash

LOL@! Tell it like it is why don‘tcha.

Don't I always? :saint:

Hulkein
08-20-2004, 11:04 PM
I think it's fairly widely accepted that Bush isn't going to be around much longer

By who?

Betheny
08-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

I think it's fairly widely accepted that Bush isn't going to be around much longer

By who?

Your mom.

Hulkein
08-20-2004, 11:15 PM
:)

I will concede that answer can be used in almost any situation and get a good reaction.

Betheny
08-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
:)

I will concede that answer can be used in almost any situation and get a good reaction.

I'm awesome, I know.