PDA

View Full Version : windows start up queston

theotherjohn
08-23-2003, 08:45 AM
I got a old computer from a friend that I am trying to update and donate to a local school.

Problem is that today when I started the computer nothing but the background is showing. There are no shortcuts, start button or the usual items in the lower left hand corner such as clock, etc.

Everything works if you do a CTL+ALT+DLT and access that way.

Any suggestions on how to get everything back?

Artha
08-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Reformatting from a disk would probably fix it, if you have any old Windows disks.

Bestatte
08-23-2003, 10:32 AM
It sounds like you're missing your taskbar and desktop icon loadup.

Reformatting would work sure..but that's kinda like using a sledge-hammer to take out a sliver on your pinky.

You might just be experiencing a couple of corrupt .dll files. Rather than reformat, I'd see if I could find the corrupt files and re-install them.

How to find them - someone else might be able to help you with.

But if you're able to load up using control-alt-del, then that's a pretty good indication that nothing is actually -missing- but is simply not loading up. It could even be something as simple as a typo in your autoexec. bat file, which could be fixed by opening it up and deleting the offensive typo.

Artha
08-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Start up internet explorer and go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Lord Deprav
08-23-2003, 03:49 PM
My bud had the same thing on his. I never really messed with it...just formatted it. It is missing probaly some file that it needs to load. Is there a chance to type a password in? On his there wasn't.

I would throw what ever copy of Windows yah have in there and boot it from your cd rom drive and re-install windows (which it isnt formatting it, it just is fixing any problems yah may have occurred.)

Deprav

CrystalTears
08-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Yep, just reinstall Windows. Don't reformat if it works fine otherwise. That's just overkill.

imported_Kranar
08-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Format the thing.

The problem is that C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE isn't starting up and like you said, you're donating this to a school, so give it to them with a fresh hard drive.

That's also a noble donation.

theotherjohn
08-23-2003, 08:10 PM
I installed a new version of XP home and it seems to work fine. Never had that problem before and was wondering if there was a quick fix.

thanks for all your help

My donation is not that noble. Kids really are the future. I want the little bastards smart enough to keep me safe, invent new drugs to let me live to 200 etc

HarmNone
08-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Seems very noble to me. Many would not be so generous. Thank you for what you are doing.

Blessed be.

HarmNone