PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Presents

SiKWiDiT
08-19-2004, 10:09 AM
My baby girl is turning two on Tuesday, and I've gotten her the obvious; Clothes, toys, et cetera.

I was just wondering if some of you might have some ideas for a thoughtful present for a child?

Wezas
08-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Flav-R-Ice
http://www.growdown.com/slowly/photos/day34/flavorice.jpg

and Manhunt
http://www.gamerankings.com/screens4/915100/2.jpg

Jorddyn
08-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SiKWiDiT
My baby girl is turning two on Tuesday, and I've gotten her the obvious; Clothes, toys, et cetera.

I was just wondering if some of you might have some ideas for a thoughtful present for a child?

Money. Seriously.

Open up a college fund or a first car fund, or whatever and stuff $50 in there (please note that this generally works better with money markets, mutual funds, and stocks than it does with a .8% savings account). Then, instead of buying her a dress or toy that she won't remember, add to it for each occasion until she's 5 or so. She'll thank you when she's 16 :)

Jorddyn

Souzy
08-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Jord's idea is really good. But, for baby fattie, take her to Chuckecheeses or something, all kids love that place. I don't think she even cares for clothes, toys prolly...take her to a fun place. But, the savings bond idea, oh hell yeah, cos I would love to have a whip by the time I hit 17! Go daddy!!!! Pinch her cheeks for me! And Happy b-day to Ash.

KymberlynX
08-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Okay...I hope this link works right.

http://www.partylite.com/products.asp?lang=us&page=featproducts&subSect=fea tured&detail=seasonal&line=ariana

The bottom figurine is Ariana. She is the tooth fairy. When your daughter starts to lose her teeth, you help her place her baby tooth on Ariana's hand and light the candle to let the toothfairy know there is a tooth waiting. When the toothfairy comes, she blows out the candle, takes the tooth, and leaves money in it's place. I already have one for my daughter and she's only 3 months old.

Tsa`ah
08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
At that age you can give them a 2x4 and they'll love it, so as it's wrapped pretty.

Stuffed animals, clothes, blocks and a few empty boxes. Start a college fund like Jordynn suggested.

I would ixna the car idea and leave that to the kid and a lesson in responsibility.

KymberlynX
08-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Make sure you give her a whole little cake of her own. Put her in the middle of the room in her highchair and let her have at it. Don't forget to put a sheet down so you don't get frosting and crumbs all over the place.

Souzy
08-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by KymberlynX
Okay...I hope this link works right.

http://www.partylite.com/products.asp?lang=us&page=featproducts&subSect=fea tured&detail=seasonal&line=ariana

The bottom figurine is Ariana. She is the tooth fairy. When your daughter starts to lose her teeth, you help her place her baby tooth on Ariana's hand and light the candle to let the toothfairy know there is a tooth waiting. When the toothfairy comes, she blows out the candle, takes the tooth, and leaves money in it's place. I already have one for my daughter and she's only 3 months old.

That's so cute Kym!!!! I think she'll like that more when she's prolly 4 or 5? But, what Tsa'ah said. Haha, I want to order that so bad and just have it for my future child, cos it's that cute. But, then I remember that it's taboo or something in my culture to buy stuff before your child is born. But, I gotta remember that link, it's too cute.

HarmNone
08-19-2004, 07:56 PM
The college fund is what I would have suggested. As others have said, a child of two will enjoy anything with pretty wrappings they can tear to smithereens! The money in the bank will be something they'll appreciate later....and they will appreciate it greatly! :)

HarmNone

*Edited to add that she is a beautiful little girl! Give her lots of love...on her birthday and every other day. Then again, I'm sure you do that already.*

[Edited on 8-19-2004 by HarmNone]

KymberlynX
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I already have a "college fund" started for Jordyn. Basically, I've put all the cash that people have given me to buy something for her into a bank account under her name and whenever she gets money for her birthday or whatnot, it goes in there and Mommy doesn't get to touch it at all.

Ravenstorm
08-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Get her a puppy. Children should grow up with a pet.

Raven

KymberlynX
08-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
That's so cute Kym!!!! I think she'll like that more when she's prolly 4 or 5? But, what Tsa'ah said. Haha, I want to order that so bad and just have it for my future child, cos it's that cute. But, then I remember that it's taboo or something in my culture to buy stuff before your child is born. But, I gotta remember that link, it's too cute.

It is cute and you can write their name and birthdate on the bottom of it. Also, when your daughter has a daughter of her own, she can pass it down to her.

SiKWiDiT
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

A mutual fund might work. She already has more money in her savings account than I do.

Oh, and she isn't much on pretty wrapping paper and stuff like that. She's already learned that it's what's inside that matters.

The girl's too smart for her own good. She's already taken to calling me and her mother by our first names, and she ( Ashlyn ) thinks it's hilarious.

And thanks Souzy, Harmnone. I appreciate it and believe me, she gets more than her fair share of hugs, kisses and all around good lovin'.

Weedmage Princess
08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Aww what a cute lil girl you have there! I'm going to second Tsa'ah's college fund idea. But I'm also going to suggest TOYS!

As far as toys..if she's anything like my peanut (who is turning 2 in Dec.) she probably loves touching everything she SHOULDN'T touch..like..the remotes for the TV, AC and DVD player and the telephone. So I'll suggest a few toys (it's nice to give money and clothes but a kid NEEDS toys too!) that are a bit more stimulating than your run of the mill toddler toys are something to think about. I'll recommend Imaginarium cause they have some really nice things in there that are also educational (well..as educational as you can get for a two year old).

[Edited on 8-20-2004 by Weedmage Princess]

HarmNone
08-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Kids at that age often enjoy a cake all their own, as well. Just sit them down in the middle of the floor, on and surrounded by butcher paper, and put the cake down in front of them. The results are laughs for all observers and a very, very happy kid. :)

HarmNone, with another suggestion.....do NOT kill me when you see the result!

SiKWiDiT
08-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks Weedie, she's more than a handful.

She likes the batteries inside the remotes more than the remotes themselves. She loves to take things apart. We bought her a little Home Depot tool set that she loves move than anything. She uses the screwdriver to try and dismantle anything she can get her hands on.

I think I've got some pictures of her and her birthday cake somewhere from last year, it was 'interesting'.

Wezas
08-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by SiKWiDiT
She likes the batteries inside the remotes more than the remotes themselves. She loves to take things apart. We bought her a little Home Depot tool set that she loves move than anything. She uses the screwdriver to try and dismantle anything she can get her hands on.

She's a geek already. Give her the gift of adventure and call it a day.

SiKWiDiT
08-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Shit no. I probably wouldn't do that to someone I hate.