PDA

View Full Version : Overzealous moderating?

Edaarin
08-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I posted about 40 items in the Auctions folder of the Marketplace on the official boards. This is the first time I've ever had any problem with this kind of sale. Should I have posted in 6 separate folders instead of doing one giant crap sale?

Dear EDSHRAS33,

Your post was hidden from the GemStone IV Forum.

The problem area of this post is the fact this is a flat price sale. Auctions have a minimum bid and work up. If you would like to repost this in the appropriate Marketplace Topic folders by appropriate category, feel free. But an entire auction that is all flat bid is not appropriate here.

Please remember that you agree to abide by the Rules for Posting and the Terms of Service each and every time you login to our services. If you need to review these items, they can be found via the Forum Policies link at the top of every forum's page and from the customer service page, respectively.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at MOD-GSQUABU@play.net, GS4-Emeradan@play.net, or GS4-Mignon@play.net.

A copy of your post is included for your reference, below.

Quabu
The Big Q
==== BEGIN COPY OF POST ====
Forum: GemStone IV
Category: The Marketplace
Topic: Auctions
Msg#: 1380
Subject: Locker clean out

These are all flat prices. Contact me at my play.net address (edshras33@play.net) if you want anything, first come first serve.

Wickedly curved faenor waraxe (3m)
+8, 85/190, 3 lbs, very heavily crit weighted

Sturdy rolaren dagger (50k)
4x, 38/260, less than 2

Razor-sharp glaes bracelet dagger (50k)
3x, 42/260, less than 2

Sun-glyphed rolaren dagger (50k)
4x, 38/260, less than 2

Slightly curving rolaren cutlass (100k)
4x, 80/215, 5 lbs, fairly damage weighted, scimitar based

Modwir hind's-foot crossbow (100k)
4x, 60/315, 12 lbs, heavy crossbow

Fel-edged mithril light crossbow (10k)
1x, 70/325, 8 lbs, light crossbow

Crimson-swept black invar mattock (10k)
+2, 65/160, 8 lbs

Monir-hilted Ardenai warblade (200k)
3x, 89/225, 7 lbs, blessable, longsword based

Basket-hilt black ora epee (50k)
2x, 30/100, 3 lbs, damage weighted (no more than somewhat, probably either light or fairly), rapier

Cerulean rune-etched ora khopesh (75k)
2x, 90/190, cold flares, 5 lbs

Diamond-edged pure white ora khopesh (75k)
2x, 90/190, sanctified, 5 lbs

Slender black imflass gladius (125k)
+12, 90/225, damage weighted (no more than somewhat, probably fairly), 3 lbs, short sword

Bronze-hued short vultite gladius (100k)
4x, 85/225, blessable, 3 lbs, short sword

Jagged black vultite khopesh (200k)
4x, 95/205, somewhat damage weighted, 4 lbs

Rusty vultite main gauche x2 (100k each)
4x, 33/230, blessable, 2 lbs, off hand weapon

Small silver ora misericord (50k)
2x, 33/225, less than 2 lbs, dagger

Gold flecked mithril dwarven backsword (10k)
1x, 95/200, 4 lbs

Needle-tipped dwarven gauntlet-sword (150k)
4x, 70/175, 4 lbs, modified katar

Sharp spiked vultite knee-breaker (100k)
4x, 80/290, 6 lbs, blessable, modified mace

Razor-sharp dwarven warblade (100k)
4x, 90/200, 4 lbs, blessable

Rune-etched mithglin war mattock (50k)
3x, 80/195, 6 lbs

A rune-etched vultite dwarven limb-cleaver (100k)
4x, 80/200, 5 lbs, blessable, axe

A fel-hilted invar limb cleaver (25k)
+2, enchantable, 6 lbs, axe, Pebin zests

A ruby-capped scroll-etched claidhmore (25k)
run of the mill, Pebin zests

A gleaming vert imflass dwarven hatchet (30k)
+12, 90/200, 4 lbs, some sorta flares

An royal imperial guard frog (125k)
Yes, it's a typo. Belt worn, displays your weapon.

A blackened myklian scale scabbard
Belt worn, identifies some properties of the weapon (ie, weighted, flares, blessed)

A soft dark blue spidersilk cloak edged with silver velvet trim (300k)
A soft deep red spidersilk cloak edged with grey silk trim (300k)
Each of these is 5 lbs, holds 100, attunes to wearer, actioned open/close/wear/remove, random actions throughout, creates edible bugs if not CLEAN'ed often

A gold-etched black invar sallet (20k)

An ora-studded buffed imflass sallet (20k)

Some riveted brigandine armor (2x, 30k)

A white gold filigree elven headband
A cut-obsidian Dhe'nar band (50k)
A cut obsidian Dhe'nar band (50k)
A vaalorn-edged elven armband (50k)
A vaalorn-edged elven armband (50k)
A scroll-worked diamond poison ring (?) (50k)

Phew. That about does it.
==== END COPY OF POST ====

[Edited on 8-19-2004 by Edaarin]

Soulpieced
08-18-2004, 10:32 PM
That is fucking ridiculous. I haven't sold anything for a "min bid" since before half of the current staff's PC's even existed.

Artha
08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Quabu

There's your explanation.

Edaarin
08-18-2004, 10:36 PM
It's not a huge thing, but I'm just miffed that my post got hidden. I'm too lazy to repost this shit in other folders.

Meos
08-18-2004, 10:36 PM
More proof GMs got too much time on thier hands..

Kitsun
08-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Technically he's right.

What you should do is list the Minimum bid as 1 coin lower and a buyout as what you want. If they want to play technicalities, play the technicialities.

Soulpieced
08-18-2004, 10:40 PM
What technicalities? I've posted plenty of things in auctions for flat prices. Sure as hell never had anything pulled.

Kitsun
08-18-2004, 10:44 PM
I know, I've seen plenty of flat priced SALES under the AUCTION category. If one chooses to be anal about it, a sale is not the equivilant of an auction.

The folder should be renamed, the auction title could be elaborated upon, a new folder for mass sales could be made or Quabu is just really bored at work. Take your pick.

Soulpieced
08-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry but that post getting pulled is atrocious and inexcusable. There are no acceptable folders for large amounts of "stuff". And the idiots selling stuff with the MB garbage ends up spamming half the folders anyway. I don't want to see an update three times a day if one person bids on one of your shitty items and you are selling 500 other pieces of junk.

Now I remember why I stopped reading the official boards.

Jonty
08-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
Technically he's right.

What you should do is list the Minimum bid as 1 coin lower and a buyout as what you want. If they want to play technicalities, play the technicialities.

:lol: Do that.... :yes:

MPSorc
08-18-2004, 10:57 PM
just make one item a min bidding item and keep the rest flat price, that will make it an "auction" per se. once that item gets bought out, switch another to an auction style but keep the rest on flat prices, or just put the whole fucking thing on Crystal amulet, i think its still working, i checked it yesterday and couldn't get on that site though. and just post the link on the auciton boards

Edited to add......that pulling of your post was extremely stupid.

[Edited on 8-19-2004 by MPSorc]

Nakiro
08-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Repost, stating that each item is listed for its minimum bid, and all buyouts are 1 silver over posted MB. Each item purchesed recieves a 1 silver discount for being delivered within the landing. I do not accept delievers outside of the landing.

Done.

Trinitis
08-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Nakiro
Repost, stating that each item is listed for its minimum bid, and all buyouts are 1 silver over posted MB. Each item purchesed recieves a 1 silver discount for being delivered within the landing. I do not accept delievers outside of the landing.

Done.

:lol:

Scott
08-19-2004, 01:17 AM
I posted something in the 10+ million or over and set it with a minimum bid (really it was just the price I wanted but I put MB for some reason.) and my post was hidden and they said "This folder isn't for auctions."

Stinkfist
08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Personally, if its the market channel i think that each should be able to market his/her own way. The shitty sellers wont sell, and if people have a problem with it they wont buy.

:rah:

Skirmisher
08-19-2004, 01:50 AM
I agree with Kitsuns appraisal of the situation and with either his or Nakiros solutions.

I think both do the trick of playing by relatively silly rules.

You were not creating anarchy or anything but yes by the letter of the law it was the wrong place so whatever, play the game and put it where you wish at the same time. :bleh:

08-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Personally, you have so many facets available to you in congruence with selling items that it's not a big shit if this one jackasshole had to spoil things.

Oh and the 1 coin thing will likely get you in troubl0rz with the forces above.

SpunGirl
08-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Ahem, I believe I can shed a little light here.

Quabu sucks ass - at GHing as well as board moderating. I'm aware of two recent incidences of unmasked, out-and-out blatant vulgarity in posts on his boards. One was a deliberate, nasty, vulgar flame towards another player, and the other was probably just an oversight of someone who forgot you can't say "shit" on the main BBS. In any case, these posts both went for over a week before he hid them for vulgarity.

I'm guessing he got his ass chewed for it, and for that reason, he's becoming a moderating maniac. I heard that he pulled someone's post on a board (can't remember whose or which category) because he advertised his player shop in his signature (like a lot of people are doing).

-K

HouseofElves
08-19-2004, 04:19 PM
I was going to mention that ^ lameness as soon as I figured out who this thread was about. That is really ridiculous. Your sig should be whatever you want within policy...half the people who have player run shops have promos in their sig.

Bleh to that.

Nakiro
08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=13&topic=1&message =4

A Marketplace policy has been put in effect and some of you may not be aware of it. If you aren't, this is your notice. Auctions Folder is for items with a minimum bid. Flat Price Auctions are now not allowed in this folder and must be appropriate Marketplace folder. Please note if you have like forty item and two or three are flat priced I am not going to pull the post, but when a quarter or half of them are, that is different. Nothings saying there isn't room for compromise. :)

This is due to the fact that an auction by the nature of how it is run is something you bid up on from a minimum starting amount. You can't do this in a flat price sale.

We thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please write myself, GS4-Mignon@play.net, or GS4-Emeradan@play.net.

Quabu
The Big Q

---------------

There you go!

crazymage
08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Quabu is a terrible gamehost ive never had a good experience with him , he even pulled posts from other people and emailed me the reason!

Morbid Fascination
09-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Quabu has been a terrible mod for as long as I can remember him being one. He takes his "job" way too seriously and jumps on people for the stupidest things.

I recall one incident right after the advent of the new boards where the few citizens of Zul Logoth were bantering back and forth in the Zul folder (as small-town folk are wont to do) and the "Big Q" admonished them for straying off the topic.

He goes way overboard trying to enforce the use of folders in the Marketplace. No one has ever had life-threatening difficulty with flat price sales in the Auction folder. Neither is anyone offended, inconvenienced or abused by brief mentions of shops containing sought-for items in the Wanted folders.

Just today I read on the official boards that he warned Celtar for flaming himself on the boards. Since his account name is CeltarLomian, one would think there'd be no problem.

I've never had occasion to cross his path personally, but reading his over-eager attempts at moderation makes me think he'd be better off in another position.

I guess it might just be my stupidity allergy acting up again, but thanks for letting me vent.

SpunGirl
09-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Morbid Fascination
Just today I read on the official boards that he warned Celtar for flaming himself on the boards.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's one of the funniest things I've read all day long.

The one time I've had Quabu respond to an assist I had (and I think I've assisted like... four times in three years) he was a complete jerk. I had mistakenly sold an item of mine that was very valuable (in silver and to my char) at the pawnshop. When I realized what I'd done, I went outside and waited for the item to be placed on the miscellaneous table. When it didn't show up, I put in an assist to find out what might happen to it.

I got it answered about 20 minutes later, and NOT ONCE did I ask for the item to be replaced. Not once. I told him what happened (I believe I started out by saying I'd made a bone-headed mistake) and asked him if it might show up on tables in any other town's pawnshop, or if it was likely to just have been thrown into a box somewhere (I really have no idea how that stuff works). He didn't answer any of my questions, just continued to repeat, over and over, "I can't replace the item for you."

Well, duh. That's not what I asked for!

In any case, I wrote feedback about how mad I was about being treated like shit when I've never been anything but courteous during any assist, including that one. I heard back from them in three days saying they would look into it - which I thought was nice.

Grr.

-K

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by SpunGirl]

Rhaindrop
09-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Celtar is still allowed to post on the message boards?

hrm

Amaron
09-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Someone very new to paupers and how che's worked posted in the paupers charter folder and not the regular one for discussions...

Two folks answered the question.. that was the end of it....

Then quabu has to scold them and tell them to get to the right folder...

I thought it was rude and not needed... geesh 3 posts in the wrong folder that was truely a mistake will not kill the game..

picky picky picky.

J

Miss X
09-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Quabu is the worst GH I have ever had the misfortune to interact with. I put in assist the other day because my connection died when I was on plane 1 alive and when I logged back in I was on plane 2 still with no wounds and dead. I simply wondered how/why it happened.

He comes along and tells me it was because I had no weapon out so I explain I'm a brawler. Then he is like "oh do you usually wear armor?" NO I DON'T!!!!11 Ugh what an idiot, I explained how I wouldn't hunt without armor so then he asks me if I use a shield when I hunt. Bare in mind I had already told him I'm a brawler and I'm an empath....

He then told me there was a Caedera in the room at the time... I'm like ok fine but I had no wounds and they don't cast spells so that doesn't explain it. He goes on to explain that since I had decayed he couldn't tell me, as I had been dead for a long time. I explained that in fact I had departed and according to people who saw my death cry I hadn't been dead for long. He basically said he had no idea what to tell me so I just told him to forget it.

That is the second time I have had him answer an assist and he has been useless both times. I seriously can't believe he is still a GH.

Nieninque
09-24-2004, 04:09 PM
You shoulda waited till he went and did something else and put a proper assist in

Caramia
09-25-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Miss X
Quabu is the worst GH I have ever had the misfortune to interact with. I put in assist the other day because my connection died when I was on plane 1 alive and when I logged back in I was on plane 2 still with no wounds and dead. I simply wondered how/why it happened.

He comes along and tells me it was because I had no weapon out so I explain I'm a brawler. Then he is like "oh do you usually wear armor?" NO I DON'T!!!!11 Ugh what an idiot, I explained how I wouldn't hunt without armor so then he asks me if I use a shield when I hunt. Bare in mind I had already told him I'm a brawler and I'm an empath....

He then told me there was a Caedera in the room at the time... I'm like ok fine but I had no wounds and they don't cast spells so that doesn't explain it. He goes on to explain that since I had decayed he couldn't tell me, as I had been dead for a long time. I explained that in fact I had departed and according to people who saw my death cry I hadn't been dead for long. He basically said he had no idea what to tell me so I just told him to forget it.

That is the second time I have had him answer an assist and he has been useless both times. I seriously can't believe he is still a GH.

GameHosts don't have access to death logs. Some GM must have been telling him what to say.

Miss X
09-25-2004, 09:55 AM
So? He's still the biggest pile of crap simu have ever employed.

Soulpieced
09-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Witches may cast pain infliction which wouldn't give you any wounds. I may be wrong, but just an idea. Sera could have feared you to death as well.

Miss X
09-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Sera's can't fear me and I did consider it may be a Witch but they have never warded me before. I wasn't even that bothered once I had worked off the DR, just wanted to know how it had happened so quickly. Would plain infliction have left me with HP?

Artha
09-25-2004, 10:04 AM
I don't think it's possible for pain infliction to kill you outright, but if it could ward you decently 4-5 times, you'd probably die.

Miss X
09-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Well I seriously doubt it could. Warlocks are older and even they don't hit me when I hunt three. Guess it will remain a mystery.