PDA

View Full Version : enchanting questions

iohova
08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
ok, im wanting to enchant up an armor ive got lyin around (some battleworn mithril chainmail, +7 i believe)
but, im unsure of some things -

can i pour the temper potion anywhere? or does it matter? (like, is there a bonus for doing the pour at a workshop?)

we no longer need to infuse? just cast the enchant (in a workshop of course) and thats it or?

ive read a little bit, about its recommended to be unencumbered, clear head, no scars/wounds, etc.. but some stuff (from what i could find) just isnt that clear or is taken for granted and left out.

Jonty
08-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Read this:

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/enchant_notes.asp

gcstader
08-16-2004, 09:58 PM
First read the guide that Jonty linked to.

<< can i pour the temper potion anywhere? or does it matter? (like, is there a bonus for doing the pour at a workshop?) >>

Workshop is the best place to pour potions and enchant. I've never tempered or enchanted while outside a workshop. All wizard guilds have a workshop but, I prefer Ta'Illistim's because you can have your familiar present, which is a bonus. Encumberance is a factor. I normally wear nothing but the giftbox talisman.

<<we no longer need to infuse? just cast the enchant (in a workshop of course) and thats it or? >>

Infusing mana is no longer part of the process.

<< ive read a little bit, about its recommended to be unencumbered, clear head, no scars/wounds, etc.. but some stuff (from what i could find) just isnt that clear or is taken for granted and left out. >>

Read through the enchanting thread under the wizard folder on the official forums. Lots of useful information.

~Greg / Eldas

iohova
08-16-2004, 10:06 PM
JONTY- read it before. still doesnt exactly answer my questions.

edit- thanks gcstader. thats all i needed to know :)

i did read some of the enchanting folder in the official forums, but man that setup is retarded. theres NO WAY i was gonna sit and read the 34+ pages of replys looking for a couple simple answers. (they really should set it up like a php forum)

and yup, the ta'illistim guild 'shop is where i was thinkin of goin to do it :)

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by iohova]

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by iohova]

gcstader
08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Alright here's enchanting in a nutshell. Say you're trying to take a 1x weapon to 2x.

1. Buy the correct potion.
Rohnuru will temper anything less than +6
Duqnuru will temper anything less than +16
Dirtokh will temper anything less than +26
Mirtokh will temper anything less than +31

Sisfu potion works for items under 5x and makes the tempering time much quicker.

1. Remove all your gear.
2. Cast familiar and strength.
3. Go to a workshop
4. Have your weapon in one hand and duck potion in the other.
5. POUR MY POTION ON MY WEAPON
6. Wait the amount of time stated once you've poured the potion (anywhere from 2-6 days for 1-2x enchant in my experience)
7. Check to see if your item is ready to be enchanted using 405.
8. Go back to the workshop and cast enchant.

And you're done, hopefully with a successful enchant. Much easier than it used to be where wizards sat inufsing mana while their cleric slave could send em spirit so they could wrack. *Alot* easier to get access to workshops, too. Hope this helps.

<< theres NO WAY i was gonna sit and read the 34+ pages of replys looking for a couple simple answers. >>
Yeah, I just recently reactivated my wizard to enchant. I actually did read ALL of those 34 pages and no one should have to go through that. lol :)

~Greg / Eldas

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by gcstader]

gcstader
08-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Here's a quick example of tempering/enchanting:

ILLISTIM WIZARDS GUILD / MOON AXE / AUG. 10th 5:37 pm
You pour your potion on the axe.
1d100: 71 + Modifiers: 239 == 310

The liquid oozes over the surface of your mithril moon axe, creating a faint aura of steam. With a soft cloth, you work the liquid in well until you hear a faint crackling noise coming from it, and it appears faded. The tempering seems to have been successful. Your mithril moon axe should be ready to enchant in 1 to 2 days.
Roundtime: 60 sec.
You have 2 doses left.

Waited 2 days....

ILLISTIM WIZARDS GUILD / MOON AXE / Aug 12th 5:59 pm

You sense its confusion. Of course it will follow you, but why are you sending it to find you when it's already right here?
>put pot
You drop a sisfu potion.
>prep 925
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Enchant Item...
Your spell is ready.
>cast at my axe
You gesture at an acid-etched mithril moon axe.
As you concentrate on casting your magicks at it, faint sparkles surround and embed the mithril moon axe, and join themselves to its very structure. Then the sparkles pulse brighter, in unison. A bright aura suddenly surrounds the mithril moon axe and seems to consume it! After a moment the glow fades and the mithril moon axe returns to normal. The enchantment was successful.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
R>
The pale silvery aura around the pale sphere undulates and writhes as it flares brightly.
R>

The horned frog croaks loudly.
R>
The horned frog sits down.
R>get pot
You pick up a sisfu potion.
>pout pot on my axe
What were you referring to?
>
>pour my potion on my axe
You pour your potion on the axe.
1d100: 16 + Modifiers: 239 == 255

The liquid oozes over the surface of your mithril moon axe, creating a faint aura of steam. With a soft cloth, you work the liquid in well until you hear a faint crackling noise coming from it, and it appears faded. The tempering seems to have been successful. Your mithril moon axe should be ready to enchant in 1 to 2 days.
You only have one dose left.

Jonty
08-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by iohova
JONTY- read it before. still doesnt exactly answer my questions.

Uh, read it carefully. It does.... That's why I posted the link....

Jonty
08-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Answers to your question from play.net:

can i pour the temper potion anywhere? or does it matter? (like, is there a bonus for doing the pour at a workshop?)

SUCCESS FACTORS
The following factors attribute to a project’s success and are listed in no particular order:

Logic, Intuition, and Aura bonuses
Level
Major Elemental spells known
Wizard spells known
Arcane Symbols skill
Magic Item Use skill
Choosing the appropriate potion for the project
Using a workshop or node
Having your familiar present
Elemental Mana Control skill

we no longer need to infuse? just cast the enchant (in a workshop of course) and thats it or?

There is no mention of infusing mana in the enchanting guide.... Conclusion: Infusing is no longer needed.

ive read a little bit, about its recommended to be unencumbered, clear head, no scars/wounds, etc.. but some stuff (from what i could find) just isnt that clear or is taken for granted and left out.

FAILURE FACTORS
The following factors attribute to a project’s failure and are listed in no particular order:

Low health
Injuries
Low spirit
Encumbrance
Type of material of the item (some materials are more resistant)
Having critters present
Having non-Wizards present

That's all.

Jonty
08-16-2004, 10:40 PM
i did read some of the enchanting folder in the official forums, but man that setup is retarded. theres NO WAY i was gonna sit and read the 34+ pages of replys looking for a couple simple answers. (they really should set it up like a php forum)

You don't need to read all of it.... Just skim through it and read the ones with subjects relating to your question. Also, read the ones posted in red.

gcstader
08-16-2004, 10:43 PM
<< You don't need to read all of it.... Just skim through it and read the ones with subjects relating to your question. Also, read the ones posted in red. >>

Unfortunately, there's no way to know if the post actually refers to your question or not. People go from one topic to another on the same thread. lol :) The ability to search would be nice.

~Greg / Eldas

Jonty
08-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by gcstader
Unfortunately, there's no way to know if the post actually refers to your question or not. People go from one topic to another on the same thread. lol :) The ability to search would be nice.

~Greg / Eldas

:lol: Yeah, searching would be nice.... But SIMU is slow, so I just skim and look for what I'm intrested in. I guess I got lucky? I found out all I needed to know that way.... No way in hell I'd read 34 pages, or whatever.... I don't know how you did it.

iohova
08-16-2004, 10:53 PM
jonty - no, it still doesnt answer my question. the success rates are vague. is it the success for the enchant cast, or the temper, or both? see what i mean? thats why i asked if it matters where you pour it at or not.

as for the infusing thing. yes, theres no mention of it, but theres no mention of NOT needing it. hence, again, why i asked. (i had heard the rumors back in gs3 that it wouldnt be needed, but in what limited searching i have done so far, i havent found anything that says "you do not need to infuse mana")

and yes, that enchanting thread on the official forums does jump topics quite often. i think i read the first 4 or 5 pages before deciding to skip around a bit :lol:

Jonty
08-16-2004, 11:17 PM
jonty - no, it still doesnt answer my question. the success rates are vague. is it the success for the enchant cast, or the temper, or both? see what i mean? thats why i asked if it matters where you pour it at or not.

Considering tempering is part of the enchanting process, as shown in the guide, it seems pretty obvious you should do it where they say there are the most success factors.

as for the infusing thing. yes, theres no mention of it, but theres no mention of NOT needing it. hence, again, why i asked. (i had heard the rumors back in gs3 that it wouldnt be needed, but in what limited searching i have done so far, i havent found anything that says "you do not need to infuse mana")

I can understand the confusion.... But it's an official enchanting guide, if infusing was needed, it'd be listed as one of the steps, like the old enchanting guide.

iohova
08-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Jonty

Considering tempering is part of the enchanting process, as shown in the guide, it seems pretty obvious you should do it where they say there are the most success factors.

I can understand the confusion.... But it's an official enchanting guide, if infusing was needed, it'd be listed as one of the steps, like the old enchanting guide.

well, reason i asked about the tempering, is in gs3, when it was also recommended to temper in a workshop btw, i tempered it anywhere and very very rarely had a failure. i just wante to see if it was still the same or not.

just because simu posts it, doesnt mean its all true/correct ;) (or doesnt mean theyve included all the info either. cmon now, we're talkin about simu!!)

gcstader
08-17-2004, 12:33 AM
<< well, reason i asked about the tempering, is in gs3, when it was also recommended to temper in a workshop btw, i tempered it anywhere and very very rarely had a failure. i just wante to see if it was still the same or not. >>

You could throw caution to the wind and get away with successfully tempering somewhere besides a workshop in most situations. However, this may affect how long the tempering takes.

<< just because simu posts it, doesnt mean its all true/correct (or doesnt mean theyve included all the info either. cmon now, we're talkin about simu!!) >>

Although Simu is far from reliable, this document was created to dispel the myths about enchanting. If you read through those 34 pages of the enchanting thread, you'll see people sayin all this different shit affected enchanting that really didnt. Some GM, think it was Kitrina (or somethin like that) but together the success/failure factors and made that guide. Obviously, they didnt give away too much info. Like listing, in order, what the most influential factors are ( most believe it is wizard spell ranks).

~Greg / Eldas

Jonty
08-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Yep, it was Kitrina.

iohova
08-17-2004, 12:49 AM
yup kitrina :)
tho i was referring to the enchant_notes.asp page more than that 34-page thread ;)

iohova
08-20-2004, 02:24 AM
oh one more question...
i have a mortokh potion from before i left the lands.. is it still usable or no?
i ask because on the enchanting notes page on play.net, i didnt see it listed. there was mirtokh, but not mortokh.

Askip
08-20-2004, 07:49 AM
I've never heard of Mortokh. Is it an ICE-age item?

I doubt it would work, and it's probably worth some silvers to collectors.

:D

iohova
08-20-2004, 10:04 AM
nope, not ICE aged. i bought it back before i left gs.. back in gs3 of course.

(edit- i wasnt around in the ICE age, nor do i own anything that old afaik. hehe)

[Edited on 8-20-2004 by iohova]

Askip
08-20-2004, 05:13 PM
For a while, enchanting potions were selling for unreal amounts of silver. The shop stopped selling them in preparation for the new version ET spell and the mana pools got huge. Anyone who had some in lockers made millions.

Eventually the GMs made the potions go bad until the new release. So, I would doubt your potion is good with the new system.

Look at the potion, it may give you messaging about is being bad if it was tainted.

:D

iohova
08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
damn. too bad ya cant convert it huh? :lol:
edit- oh yeah, and i got it maybe a month or two before they stopped selling enchanting potions.

[Edited on 8-20-2004 by iohova]

iohova
08-23-2004, 05:12 AM
You remove a mortokh potion from in your rainbow satchel.
s>l mort pot
You see nothing unusual.
s>inspect mort pot
You carefully inspect your mortokh potion.

You determine that you could not wear the potion.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
sR>examine pot
You see nothing unusual.

nope, nothin about it being tainted.