PDA

View Full Version : Dusting off the wizard

Valyss
05-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about dusting off my 59 wizard who's just been trained used for enchanting for the past year and hunting her again. Would I still be able to do normal 7x enchants with this training (runestaff, pure bolting)?

Armor Use: 4
Physical Fitness: 61
Arcane Symbols: 122
Magic Item Use: 122
Harness Power: 59
Spell Aiming: 122
Mana Control Elemental: 61
Air Lore: 24
Swimming: 50
Climbing: 50
Perception: 61

Major Elemental: 45
Minor Elemental: 75 (or is it 74?)
Wizard: 30

Any other suggestions for training? Thanks!

DaCapn
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Benefits from MnE towards 425 cap at level. 30 wizard ranks seems a little low but I started doing 7x at level 35 with 35 wizard base. Maybe it would be just as easy with 30 at level 59, though.

Valyss
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Benefits from MnE towards 425 cap at level

good to know! i think i used to know that :)

if I move the regained 15 ranks from MnE to Wiz, would I be able to handle 7x enchants?

45 MjE
60 MjE
45 Wiz

Valyss
05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
also, at what point does CM training for disarm become useful/necessary?

Whirlin
05-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I'd put CM training as maybe #2 postcap goal after 3x spell research.

Could always hunt the rift if you're worried about it.

DaCapn
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
If you're worried about disarm, just eblade a 0x runestaff and bring one extra with you on a hunt.

Valyss
05-09-2013, 04:27 PM
thanks!

final word on 7x enchanting with:

45 MjE
60 MjE
45 Wiz
2x SA, MIU, AS
1x MC:E, HP

yes/no on plain 7x?

SHAFT
05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I advise you pick up a bow, cut out the CM, and pwn shit all day every day! Ask whirlin. He might even have a bow for sale....

Whirlin
05-09-2013, 04:45 PM
What do you know... I DO! It's a pretty awesome one at that!

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?81712-Maxlight-3-STR-3-Dex-Altered-7x-Longbow

subzero
05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
also, at what point does CM training for disarm become useful/necessary?

If you can and do keep haste running throughout a hunt (not just when you're in a room with a target), it's probably less important than I found it to be with a sorcerer. 1x CM for the sorcerer drastically reduced my deaths; I got tired of the frequent dying (Recent deaths was basically always at 5 except during/just after gift where it cleared some) and stopped working on 3x spells to do CM. It is now something I suggest as a first post-cap goal for sorcerers. I'd still suggest picking it up soon after cap as another pure, though.

My wizard is a hybrid warmage/pure, just past cap. He's never had CM training, but I don't recall having such an issue with cmans which I assume is due to keeping haste up. That said, personally I would make 1x CM a priority post-cap. Avoiding the attacks outright is always better than having a weapon disarmed, even if you're only in a couple seconds of RT, or walking into a stun that leaves you vulnerable to other stuff. You can lose weapons with 1-2 seconds of RT in the right situation. Plus, the ones that do hit you are obviously going to have much less of an impact which helps all around.

Methais
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I'd put CM training as maybe #2 postcap goal after 3x spell research.

Could always hunt the rift if you're worried about it.

I completely disagree with this. If you have haste running, disarm is almost never an issue.

liquiddrool
05-11-2013, 02:49 AM
I been successfully casting at 5-7x enchant with my wiz ranks between 25-40 all throughout level 45-60. To do basic 7x I think 35-40 ranks is solid.

Hightower
05-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I'd say your post-cap priorities depend a lot on where and how you hunt. I hunt the Rift, where the only dangerous CMAN I encounter is shield charge from fallen crusaders. And they very rarely use it. I also play a halfling with max dex enhancives, so I tend not to worry too much about most non-CMAN maneuvers. So for me, combat maneuvers training isn't even on my list. It's expensive and doesn't do much for me.

Methais
05-12-2013, 10:57 AM
The thing about maneuver attacks as a wizard is it doesn't take long to get weighed down a lot by boxes, which destroys any maneuver evasion you have from training anyway.

Best thing to do is just kill shit quickly. If something doesn't die from immolate, it will be incapacitated long enough for you to finish it off. This is mostly post cap though, since 19 mana per cast at lower levels will suck pretty hard unless you have a mana battery following you around.

Whirlin
05-12-2013, 11:10 AM
The thing about maneuver attacks as a wizard is it doesn't take long to get weighed down a lot by boxes, which destroys any maneuver evasion you have from training anyway.

Best thing to do is just kill shit quickly. If something doesn't die from immolate, it will be incapacitated long enough for you to finish it off. This is mostly post cap though, since 19 mana per cast at lower levels will suck pretty hard unless you have a mana battery following you around.

You're both right about post-cap stuff... honestly, I'm not there yet, so I likely shouldn't be commenting too heavily on post-cap goals.

As a halfling scroll-horder, I still have encumbrance problems, even as a wizard... HOWEVER, I've found a new addiction for the Simu-coins purchasable item of a 30 day encumbrance reducing potion...

All I can say is: Holy shit... It's Encumbrance -100 pounds. Basically, I could be carrying all my stuff, plus about 10k in silvers before I even reach light encumbrance. It seems to have over doubled my carrying capacity. I know it's a bit of cash to be dishing out for it... but I think I'm addicted to it.

SHAFT
05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Agreed on the potions. They're a must have at this point and worth every penny.

Cabalis
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Agreed on the potions. They're a must have at this point and worth every penny.

Pure gnome love. I'm surprised I haven't heard any complaints about them--they nullify one of the major drawbacks to playing halflings and gnomes, who were already more than mechanically sound for a number of classes.

Hightower
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah, those encumbrance potions are just awesome for a halfling/gnome. I'll definitely be buying more of them.

SHAFT
05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Not even just a for a smaller race. They're must haves for everyone. Gaining 100 lbs off of your encumbrance is killer. Certainly the best item in the store at the moment.