PDA

View Full Version : Cooking

Brattt8525
08-14-2004, 09:23 PM
So.................how do you cook, whats your favorite meal to prepare?

Share receipes here.

Tara :D

Blazing247
08-14-2004, 09:32 PM
I make a pretty kick-ass Italian meal every once in awhile. The last one I made was flattened and rolled chicken stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella in a lemon, garlic, and wine sauce.

They say food is the quickest way to the heart of a man, but I've found that a good meal and some good wine is definitely the quickest way to the crotch of a woman. It pays to have a grandmother born in Italy.

Brattt8525
08-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247
I make a pretty kick-ass Italian meal every once in awhile. The last one I made was flattened and rolled chicken stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella in a lemon, garlic, and wine sauce.

They say food is the quickest way to the heart of a man, but I've found that a good meal and some good wine is definitely the quickest way to the crotch of a woman. It pays to have a grandmother born in Italy.

I want the receipe!

Tara

Blazing247
08-14-2004, 09:45 PM
It's really easy. Take a chicken breast, butterfly it, and flatten it out. Take a strip of mozzarella, two slices of prosciutto, and lay them in the fold. Roll it up with a toothpick. I tried breading the chicken once but I didn't like it as much, it was too heavy. Take some wine (I don't measure), take some FRESH garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil, and put them in a skillet to taste. Toss the chicken in, sear the outsides, and then finish it off in the oven. Easiest thing in the world to make. Then again, Italian cooking is about simplicity. The French had to go and make cooking complex with a 4 year culinary degree requirement.

Brattt8525
08-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks Blazing....going to have to try that out this coming weel. I love chicken!

Tonight I BBQ'ed kabobs, chicken peppers and onion marinated all day in sauce, and steak kabobs done the same way....oiy

:P

GSLeloo
08-14-2004, 09:49 PM
I cooked tonight!

Buy Complete desserts chocolate lava cake. $3.99
Open box, pour in mix, add water, stir, pour in other mix, bake for 40 minutes.

Meos
08-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm more of a bartender at heart. Cooking is the womans work.

Blazing247
08-14-2004, 09:54 PM
<I cooked tonight!

Buy Complete desserts chocolate lava cake. $3.99
Open box, pour in mix, add water, stir, pour in other mix, bake for 40 minutes. >

If you wanna fake-bake, you're better off doing this. Bake up some chocolate cake or brownies, cube em up, and toss it in a huge bowl. Mix in some instant pudding/mousse, crumbled Skor bars, and a shot of Kahlua and Bailey's. Top it off with Cool Whip and some chocolate syrup. Voila.

Blazing247
08-14-2004, 09:56 PM
<I'm more of a bartender at heart. Cooking is the womans work. >

If you got skills, you can do both. I don't feel emasculated by cooking. Making a good appletini is just another nail in the crotch coffin.

Soulpieced
08-14-2004, 09:56 PM
WTF, I need to hire Blazing as my personal chef or something.

Izalude
08-14-2004, 11:26 PM
I used to work as a prep cook, and chef for two years while working on my degree. I worked at Merchants in New York City, and the Paris Inn over in Northern New Jersey. One such item I used to make was a dish called Chicken Ala Paris. My mouth waters just thinking about it...

Turn your burner on to a medium setting. Next, take a chicken breast, butterfly it, and cover it with flour. Once that's done, beat an egg, and dip the chicken in the egg. Next, cook the chicken in a frying pan with butter and olive oil. Keep it there until the chicken is almost fully cooked. The chicken breast should be golden brown once you're done. Now, drain the butter and oil from the pan, and remove the chicken. Next, pour about a cup of white wine into the pan, and add a cap full of lemon juice. Don't go overboard with the Lemon juice! You want a subtle hint of lemon when you eat the dish, rather than the chicken being lemon-flavored. Next, add a teaspoon of butter to the mix, and let the liquid warm up until boiling. Deposit the chicken back into the pan, and let it simmer for about five minutes.

Now you have chicken francise. Time to complete it.

Put the chicken on a baking sheet, and preheat the oven to about 350 degrees. Now, take a slice of eggplant, and wrap it around the chicken. Add a slice of tomato on top of the eggplant, and smother the chicken with mozzerella cheese. Bake it until the cheese melts and is slightly golden brown on the top.

It's a bit involved, but WELL worth the effort!

Edaarin
08-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Log onto campusfood.com
Order chicken parmagiana.
Ready in less than 25 minutes!

Kuyuk
08-14-2004, 11:37 PM
I make half-assed toast& cheese. Toast bread in the toaster, attempt to put cheese in middle after they're done thinking it's gonna melt. Get disappointed, spread butter on toast, put in microwave... realize the butter will just make the toast soggy and then try and soak up excessive melted butter out of once-toasted, now squishy, bread. Present it to whiny girl, and get laughed at.

K.

Artha
08-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Remove hot pocket from wrapping.
Place hot pocket in crisping sleeve.
Place hot pocket (in crisping sleeve) in microwave.
Microwave for 2 minutes.

Serves 1.

Ravenstorm
08-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Chicken breast alfredo (http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/poultry/chicken/breasts-alfredo1.html)

Quite good and really not hard to make. Definitely not for those dieting.

Raven

Shari
08-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Some of you people make me cry.

That lava cake, that insta dessert thing is THE FUCKING BOMB. It doesn't look too good when you're making it (which is good for me so I don't eat the batter up) and it's all gooey and melty on the bottom and cake-like on the top.

Anyway, anyone can cook. Get a good cookbook with pictures and just follow the directions. My mother got me this GREAT italian cookbook and now instead of going to the grocery store every month, we are buying just what we're going to eat for that day, and save money from not having to throw out food that soils before we are going to eat it.

I make crazy shit to eat. I slice up cucumber and real mozzerella, and drizzle it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Kinda like a half-ass caprese salad since I don't like tomatoes.

Ravenstorm
08-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh, speaking of not for those dieting, here. Enjoy.

Potato Latkes (pancakes)
------------------------

1 1/2 lb potato - finely grated
1 1/2 cup onion - finely chopped
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 cup matzo meal
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
---
1 Tbl chicken fat (optional)
cooking oil

Press potato in a strainer to remove excess water
Combine all well
Heat oil and chicken fat in skillet till sizzling
Form patty out of mixture
Fry in oil till golden brown on each side
Remove to paper towel
Eat while hot
Good with a dollop of sour cream

Notes:
Check Jewish section of supermarket for matzo meal
Chicken fat can be excluded but improves the flavor

----

How to make chicken fat (shmaltz):

Remove fat from raw chickens/pieces: small bits of skin should be included
Freeze fat till you've got about 8 ounces
Chop a small onion
Season with 1/2 tsp salt
Add fat/skin and simmer

Fat will be rendered into a liquid
Simmer for 15 minutes or so to get it well seasoned
Strain into a jar
Refrigerate for later use: stays a long time
Eat leftover skin and onions (gribines) for a yummy, artery clogging snack

Raven

Shari
08-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Oh you had to go and post THAT. Damn you Raven!

Potato Latkes with sour cream and perogies with sauteed onions and tons of butter are like a STAPLE when I go back to PA and stay at my Nana's house.

Every now and then I make the latkes but I've yet to find a shop in AZ that sells decent perogies. Mmm....perogies...

Ravenstorm
08-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Hehehe. Try them. They're simply wonderful. I was flipping through stations on the tv one day a few years ago and happened to switch to the food network at just the right moment to hear that one of the Martha Stewart cooking shows was going to have Jewish food featured.

That's the recipe from a real NYC Jewish deli that's been owned by the same family for three generations. Though I tweaked it a little to my own taste. I thought it had just a little too much onion and pepper and not enough salt. My version uses:

1 1/4 cup onion
1/4 tsp pepper
3 1/4 tsp salt

They're literally the best I've ever tasted.

Raven

Blazing247
08-15-2004, 01:09 AM
:chef:

Latkes rock. Martha Stewart sucks.

08-15-2004, 02:58 AM
Sadly I'm in with Blazing on this one. Cooking is the ruxor

Brattt8525
08-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Breakfast Pizza

package of crescent rolls
package on Jimmy Dean SAGE sausage
8 eggs
hashbrowns
cheddar cheese
package of cream cheese

Brown the sausage,mix cream cheese with sausage, place crescent rolls in a 9X13 baking dish. Put hashbrowns on top of rolls, then sausage, then cheddar cheese. Beat eggs add salt pepper, and any other spices like garlic, chipotle powder. Pour on top of the mix. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.

You can add green chiles, or onions if you want, this is just a base to start with. Great, and anyone who has eaten it, makes me give them the receipe!

Tara :P

[Edited on 8-16-2004 by Brattt8525]

Valthissa
08-15-2004, 10:53 PM
mmmm

some nice stuff here.

I'm getting hungry.

Most of my good dinners start with sautéing red peppers, bacon, and onions. I think this comes from my the way grandmother and mother cooked…I’m certain my 4 year old will grow up and start many of his meals the same way (everyone can remember the way the kitchen smelled when grandma cooked).

Anyway- one that works - I make fresh pasta (this is so cheap and easy I just can’t believe what the supermarket gets away with for pasta), cook some butterflied salmon in a skillet (1" thick, four minutes a side - made from a center cut salmon steak, skin on), put some goat cheese in the pasta, top with the salmon, add some sautéed mushrooms (portabellas work nicely) add the aforementioned bacon/peppers/onions and my guests think I’m some kind of gourmet.

I roast a lot of vegetables. For some reason, this also seems to make people think you can cook.

A/Valth

[Edited on 8-16-2004 by Valthissa]

08-15-2004, 11:23 PM
What I'm eating for dinner:

Take one ballpark hotdog, slice it up the middle making sure it maintains its shape.

Stuff taco cheese in the hole you created.

Wrap Hotdog in Bacon

Put hotdog on george foreman grill until bacon is cooked (You can use a broiler too)

Place on piece of wonder bread, add ketchup.

Eat.

Blazing247
08-16-2004, 01:40 AM
What I ate for dinner: Cincinatti four-way chili.

A half package of spaghetti, topped with a half can of Skyline Chili, onions, and cheese. I washed it down with a Big Red.

<3 to my relatives in Cincinatti for sending this stuff to me.

Myshel
08-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Yesterday we were celebrating having electricity back on and all the kids were home so I made our fave dinner.

Southern Fried Chicken
Potato Salad
Greek style Green Beans
Tomato Cucumber Salad
Apple Pie

Jazuela
08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
My favorite meal to cook is a modified scampi dish over linguine, with garlic bread and "weed salad" (Mesclun, also known as wild greens salad).

Scampi dish: In a med. pot over low heat...

half a stick of butter, twice that much olive oil, 4-5 cloves garlic, smushed or chopped fine.

add oregano, basil, black pepper, hot pepper
While all that's melting and doing its thing, peel and devein a pound of extra large shrimp or 3/4 pound large shrimp (or more, to taste). Rinse shrimp with cold tap water in a bowl that has a decent squeeze of lemon juice in it.

Once the butter's all melted, turn the heat to medium and toss the shrimp in the pot. Make linguini.

Once the stuff in the pot starts boiling and sizzling, lower heat again to medium-low-ish...squeeze some lemon in it, add a splash of sherry. Turn shrimp in the pot to make sure each one becomes pink and firm. Pour over linguini, stir, serve.

Bread:
Loaf of italian bread or a decent sized subroll.
Smear butter over both sides, not too thickly but enough to cover the bread. Smush a small clove of garlic on each side. Sprinkle same herbs as you made the scampi with, add a bit of locatelli romano cheese. Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over each size, stick in the oven at whatever temp you like until the top gets toasty on the edges.

Salad:
You can buy pre-mixed mesclun (NOT MESCALINE YOU DRUG ADDICTS!) in most supermarkets. It's mostly wild greens and baby spinach with a little bit of red raddicchio in it.

Splash olive oil and lemon juice over the bowl of salad greens, add fresh ground pepper, a palmful of grated locatelli romano cheese. Mix well, serve.

I try to make this meal at least twice a month, because there's always enough leftovers for both me and hubby to eat lunch the next day. It's dirt cheap and easy to make. The hardest part is timing the scampi sauce, linguini pot, and bread to all get finished within a minute or two of each other.

DeV
08-16-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm very hungry now thanks to you all.

xtc
08-16-2004, 04:58 PM
my favourite recipe for Spaghetti Al Cartoccio

Get in car, drive to Sotto sotto on Avenue rd. Order.

Never fails comes out perfect everytime.

Brattt8525
08-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Here is what I cooked to take into school with me tomorrow. The women at my school, stampede me when I bring this Lasagna in. I place it on the break table and......slowly back away!

Ravenstorm
09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Here's a nice little vegetarian dish I just tried. It's pretty good.

1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large zuccini, 1/2" slices and quartered
3-4 large tomatos, diced
1 2 lb spaghetti squash
Olive oil
spices

Slice the squash lengthwise in half and scoop out the seeds. Place open side down in a casserole dish filled partially with water. Nuke it on high about 10 min till it's soft. Meanwhile...

Sautee the onion in some olive oil till it's translucent. About 3-5 min. Add zuccini and cook another 5 min or so. Add tomatos and simmer for 10 min. When the squash is done, use the tines of a fork to scrape it out. Add to the other vegetables and mix.

I seasoned it with basil, oregano, garlic, parsley, salt and a touch of pepper. A small sprinkling of parmesan was good too.

Raven

09-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Someone teach me how to make mole sauce

Brattt8525
09-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RangerD1
Someone teach me how to make mole sauce

GREEN MOLE SAUCE

8 fresh tomatillos (or one 10-ounce can of tomatillos)
1 small onion, chopped
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 T finely chopped canned California green chiles

(If tomatillos are fresh rather than canned, cook them, covered, in
1/2 cup water over medium heat about 15 minutes or until tender.
Cool.) Chop and blend tomatillos in blender until fairly smooth.
Saute onion in 1/4 cup water, then combine with tomatillos and other
ingredients. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Makes 1 cup. For convenience, freeze sauce in ice-cube tray. Use
frozen cubes as needed. GREEN MOLE SAUCE is used as Mexican-style
sauce for . It is also used to make RED MOLE SAUCE.

RED MOLE SAUCE

1/2 cup GREEN MOLE SAUCE
1/3 cup RED CHILI LIQUID (see recipe below)
(1 clove garlic, cut in half)
(Pinch of oregano)
(Pinch of pepper)
(Pinch of cumin)

Stir ingredients together and heat through. Remove garlic after
heating, if cut garlic has been used. Makes 1 cup. Use as
Mexican-style sauce for .

09-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Thats enchiladas sauce.

09-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Someone post a recipe for pankekes de manzana. :weird:

Faent
09-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Tuna helper.

-Scott

Satira
09-13-2004, 03:33 AM
I'm the best cook. Ask my boyfriend.

Chelle
09-13-2004, 12:06 PM
This cake is very rich, but it doesn't last long in our house.

Italian Cream Cake:

1 cu. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 stick margarine
1/2 cu. shortning
2 cu. sugar
5 eggs (separated)
1 cu. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 sm. can 3 oz coconut
1 cu. chopped pecans

Grease and flour 3 round 8in cake pans.

Combine buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside. Cream together sugar, 1 stick marg. and 1/2 cu. shortning.

Add egg yolks 1 at a time, while beating. Add flour and buttermilk alternately. Add vanilla. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Add coconut and pecans. Bake at 325 for 25- 30 mins.

FROSTING:
8oz. cream cheese
1 stick marg.
1 lb. box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine and then add finely chopped pecans. Frost cake after it cools completely.

Lotta work but well worth it!

Chelle
09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Here's one for a nice rainy day when its cold outside.

4 chicken thighs
1 cu. shredded carrots
1 can cream of chicken soup
a few dashes of paprika
a pinch of garlic powder
1/2 bag of wide egg noodles

Need a good sized pot, boil chicken thighs and shredded carrots until fully cooked. At this point you add the paprika, and garlic powder. Remove chicken from water. Keep chicken broth water ,and Debone and deskin chicken and set aside meat pieces. Add uncooked noodles to the chicken broth water. When noodles are about done add the cream of chicken soup. Then return chicken to the pot with noodles. Simmer for 20 mins. Salt n pepper to taste.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

A nice comfy meal on a chilly day.

:heart:

[Edited on 9-13-2004 by Chelle]

Chelle
09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Brown half a pound of ground chuck. Drain. Add can of Rotel. Simmer for a bit. Add 1 pound of cubed velveeta cheese. Let melt and get all gooey. Put into bowl. Top with sour cream, chives, minced red onion, and guacamole.

MMMmmm

Chelle
09-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Okay last one :D I love to cook.

Oreo Ice Cream Pie:

Buy grahmcracker pie shell. Crush some oreos, and fold in with stiffly beaten whipped cream.

Soften your favourite flavour of ice cream. This will be the bottom layer of the pie. Then pour a thin layer of caramel topping over the ice cream. Then add the oreo whipped cream mixture. Freeze for an hour.

To serve dip the bottom of pie plate in warm water so the slices will come out cleanly.

Top with hot fudge.

Jazuela
09-13-2004, 02:37 PM
About that "mole" mentioned - that isn't mole. Mole contains chocolate. Definitely not dessert food - but if there's no chocolate, it ain't mole.
Whoever said it sounded like enchilada sauce - I think that's about right.

(Not that there's anything wrong with enchilada sauce!)

MPSorc
09-13-2004, 02:53 PM
good breakfast but not for the dieting.

cook up some puff pastry shells (pepridge farm makes some good ones) pull the top off of them and scoop out the middle, fill the shells with scrambled eggs

cook some sausage or bacon up, and make gravy from the left overs in the skillet

cover the stuffed pastry shell with the gravy and serve with the sausage.

my mother HAS to fix this breakfast every time i come home to visit, although i have to force myself from the table because i can't stop eating this stuff.....i love breakfast.

Latrinsorm
09-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Ew, gravy?

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a chocolate omelette, if anyone has a recipe for that. :)

DeV
10-29-2004, 03:05 PM
CAKE INGREDIENTS *Litter Cake* Yummy

1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix

1 box of white cake mix

1 package white sandwich cookies

1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix

A few drops green food coloring

12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"

1 NEW cat-litter box

1 NEW cat-litter box liner

1 NEW pooper scooper

Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare

pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food

processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs.

Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with

half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist

but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape

the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury

the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie

crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake

and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll

until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of

newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/240424/littercake.jpg

Trinitis
10-29-2004, 03:15 PM
ok..thats disturbing..

DeV
10-29-2004, 03:17 PM
:rofl: I know. I couldn't keep it to myself.

Brattt8525
10-29-2004, 03:29 PM
oh my goddddddddddd!

I love it, I am so making that for dessert on Sunday! That and my Monster foot meatloaf.

Keller
10-29-2004, 03:35 PM
www.epicurius.com

It's a life saver.

Toxicvixen
10-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't think I could eat that. I don't care whats in it. :no: