PDA

View Full Version : Player Characters acting as GM's?

Shari
08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I never noticed it that much until I got psinet but I've noticed the increase of people attacking/stunning/killing those for breaking rules that a GM should be taking care of, not a PC.

Example: Someone abuses smile/act verb, kills said person, GM pulls the murderer and scolds them, and then murderer comes onto Player's Corner and starts shedding his\her big crocodile tears of how GM was picking on them for trying to do a good deed?

I mean is it really necessary? How hard is it to report the action that the smile abuser is doing? Yes, I know that likely nothing will get done, a warning at most. But then again, how hard is it to perhaps whisper to the person that they're abusing game mechanics yourself in a civil manner?

And if that doesn't work, revert back to the report. I mean if the person is continually abusing it, more than often they will get pulled and receive a talking to.

I know that the majority of people here would love nothing more than to just smash the brains in of people who sneeze out of turn, but do you really think that makes you look like a better/smarter game player?

It doesn't to me.

killjoymp
08-13-2004, 03:14 PM
I agree with you Jesae, does 2 wrongs make a right?

Shari
08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Well, on an OOC level. I mean, if someone is being an asshat in-character ie: picking on someone younger than them, infinitely quaking the park, etc. By all means, kill them. But when something that has NOTHING to do with the morals of your character is involved, report them, whisper to them, SOMETHING other than smashing their brains in.

I mean, this is (I'm assuming) how a GM looks at it. CharacterA kills CharacterB for abusing smile verb. How is CharacterA really looking at in in an IC manner to justify an killing CharacterB? Most likely a GM is going to tell them in a polite way to "fuck off".

Drew
08-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I totally agree, it seems like no one knows how to whisper anything and help someone out, of course that's because no one posts logs of that.

I don't understand how you justify, IC, killing someone OOC. I just act as if it never happened. But say someone "abuses" the smile verb to make a sign and you kill them. What do you say when someone asks your character why they killed them. "Oh yeah, they abused the smile verb and that's OOC so I killed them." There is no IC way to explain that kind of action.

08-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm more upset with certain non-GM players who are taking it up the ass from actual GMs like Kennesaw and start to verbally frisk me in order to gain brownie points with the forces above.

This happened to me about a few years ago with some stupid canuck douchebag who thinks he is a POLICE OFFICER OF THE LAW because he works for a computer policing/tracking agency and probably has a free GS account. Said poser still plays GS. :shrug:

Mistomeer
08-13-2004, 06:05 PM
I agree. Dumb names, dumb people, smile abuse seem to get killed alot more these days. The game has always been full of people that run around OOC, but it's not like killing them does anything at all to help them out or solve the problem.

Axhinde
08-14-2004, 12:18 AM
This is the "I will pwnz0r j00!!!11one" generation. Smile abuse doesn't really bother my as much as someone talking about AS and DS outloud. Usually I give them a polite whisper, they apoligize, and life goes on. If I was to kill every one of those people, not only would my characters have less friends, but he'd be considered just as big of an idiot as the OOC person. Killing someone for being OOC is being OOC.

SpunGirl
08-14-2004, 04:45 AM
I think trying nicely to remind someone about being OOC is all well and good, but nine times out of ten these asshats will just get more angry when you try to do so. That doesn't make it OK to just pwn them, though. Just report and move on, why get all messy about it?

-K

Fallen
08-14-2004, 04:53 AM
I report. I have in the past and will do so in the future. Whispering does nothing to curb OOC behavior that I have seen. If anything it just gives the idiot more of an incentive to continue with his inappropriate behavior.

As was mentioned, a situation will often require that you break character to deal with someone who is being OOC. With report, you know that the person will quickly receive a very official looking SEND, telling them to stop what they are doing. 9 times out of 10, the offender immediately ceases his misbehavior.

gcstader
08-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Who really cares

Caramia
08-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
I'm more upset with certain non-GM players who are taking it up the ass from actual GMs like Kennesaw and start to verbally frisk me in order to gain brownie points with the forces above.

Try again. Kennesaw hasn't been around for years. You aren't really going to rationalize that just because someone gets called on the carpet by a GM, that is the reason why they go OOC on some OOCer, are you?

That's like a bank robber blaming a cop for giving him a speeding ticket for making him do bad things.

StrayRogue
08-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Death means nothing right now. So people can get away with being a dickhead with little to no consequences. What do they care about 1k DR? I tend to report as well.

08-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Kennesaw hasn't been around for years.

Yeah, I kind of pointed that out when I said a FEW YEARS AGO, but, said perpetrating cop-wannabe still plays. :shrug: