PDA

View Full Version : Weapon wielding cleric/2 hander

everan
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I started up a 2 handed dwarf cleric about 10 years ago but let her languish. Been thinking about getting her back up to speed.

What kind of weapons do most weapon swinging clerics prefer?

What about 2 handers, is that a viable choice? Again, what are the preferred weapons for this?

Middian
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Sancted Claid was fun for my cleric and well as a nice lance/naginata. Just cast hold and smash!

everan
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Sancted claid may be more than I can easily find, lance sounds interesting though. What about mauls? Are those any good?

Donquix
04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Mauls are great. Lance would be a little hard as a dwarf to get down to a 5 sec swing.

Sancted claids aren't tooooooo expensive, in the grand scheme, and as a cleric swinging you're really the only class that needs it :D

When in doubt get an off the shelf iasha maul/battleaxe/lance/etc. for your undead hunting needs (or anything, really), but you obviously have a lot more options of non-sancted weapons.

Aluvius
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
The revamped cleric shop in Icemule sells a decent variety of eonake weapons now doesn't it?

loxe
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
my human cleric swung an iahsa flamberge until i converted him to a paladin around level 45. (now he is fully paladin bonded to it) never hear people talk much about flamberge's but i have had great luck with them.

Jeril
04-25-2013, 12:01 AM
The weapons in the Icemule shop are not eonake but they are 4x and sanctified. As far as flamberges go they aren't a bad weapon but with a base speed of 7 you may as well swing a maul or a mattock. You can hunt well with any two-handed weapon though and do just fine. For more then 30 levels I hunted using just a 4x warsword and a 4 katana.

Donquix
04-25-2013, 12:10 AM
The weapons in the Icemule shop are not eonake but they are 4x and sanctified. As far as flamberges go they aren't a bad weapon but with a base speed of 7 you may as well swing a maul or a mattock. You can hunt well with any two-handed weapon though and do just fine. For more then 30 levels I hunted using just a 4x warsword and a 4 katana.

Yup, this. There's a lot of weapon bases that are perfectly viable (everything is, really, but for the sake of argument that means "on the upper end of the viable spectrum"), it's just...there's something else that's a little bit better and are generally more plentiful so why not?

Flamberges are fine but...why not use a crush damage maul that's basically better in every way? or a claidh to basically cheat and get free OMG weighting? They just get lost in the shuffle.

lordsmo
04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't say a maul is better in every way. It's better against chain and plate, which makes it better overall in most people's opinions, but a flamberge is much better than a maul against robes/leather/scale. Also, as mentioned, if you can swing a claid at 5 seconds a 0x sancted claid is going to outperform anything else. But if you need something faster, and only plan on having one weapon, get a maul.

Or, you can buy my 5x sanctified mattock for 700k if you want.

Donquix
04-28-2013, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't say a maul is better in every way. It's better against chain and plate, which makes it better overall in most people's opinions, but a flamberge is much better than a maul against robes/leather/scale. Also, as mentioned, if you can swing a claid at 5 seconds a 0x sancted claid is going to outperform anything else. But if you need something faster, and only plan on having one weapon, get a maul.

Or, you can buy my 5x sanctified mattock for 700k if you want.

In every way that matters.

If you need an extra ~5 AVD and .05 DF using twohanders on things under chain class armor, you're doing something wrong. Not to mention that doesn't even really account for the fact that single crit type when aiming attacks is pretty amazing, and crush is a superior crit type overall.

Again, flamberges are fine. Mauls are better.

Androidpk
04-28-2013, 08:29 PM
There is a 7x MCW flamberge that is simply a blast to use.

lordsmo
04-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Yes, maul is the best 7-second weapon base in the game.

Edit: wanted to add that for non-aimed attacks with a pre-randomization crit rank of 8 or 9, the crit-kill probability is higher for slash than for crush. For headshots, crush is definitely better like Donquix said. Although I guess for this discussion, open ambush is not gonna be a factor since he's a cleric.

neimanz1
04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Gah who needs weapons! clerics are OP!

A Grimswarm troll cleric throws her head back and roars, shaking off the stun!
A Grimswarm troll cleric gestures at you!
A vibrant, amber aura builds around a Grimswarm troll cleric. A quick buildup of light precedes a blaze of energy shooting through the air toward you!
CS: +438 - TD: +400 + CvA: +4 + d100: +87 == +129
Warding failed!
The blaze squarely impacts you, discharging the amber energy over your entire being for 61 points of damage!
The amber energy continues to ripple over you inflicting 42 points of damage ...
... dissipating with a final discharge of 25 points of damage!

SHAFT
04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Gah who needs weapons! clerics are OP!

A Grimswarm troll cleric throws her head back and roars, shaking off the stun!
A Grimswarm troll cleric gestures at you!
A vibrant, amber aura builds around a Grimswarm troll cleric. A quick buildup of light precedes a blaze of energy shooting through the air toward you!
CS: +438 - TD: +400 + CvA: +4 + d100: +87 == +129
Warding failed!
The blaze squarely impacts you, discharging the amber energy over your entire being for 61 points of damage!
The amber energy continues to ripple over you inflicting 42 points of damage ...
... dissipating with a final discharge of 25 points of damage!

Only you could achieve that neimanz. YOU'RE the one who's awesome an OP.

shanahan1991
05-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Baldur's Gate is one of my favorite RPGs when it comes to combat, I still remember battling those basilisk with their stone gaze.

Tactics Ogre recently came out with their latest installment (Let us cling together). It's for the PSP and it says it works on Playstation (1/2) as well.

More importantly, however, there's an online RPG game called Riftforge that is currently in beta. It has the three archetypes you mention: guardians (tanks), rogues (melee dps), and rangers (ranged DPS/AOE).

lordsmo
05-03-2013, 01:29 AM
That bot is amazing.