PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting

Trinitis
08-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Anyone know of a good web hosting site that is free, and has no pop-ups/banner ads?

MrFeature
08-12-2004, 10:03 PM
You'll never find one, thats like finding a gas station with free gas.

Back
08-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
Anyone know of a good web hosting site that is free, and has no pop-ups/banner ads?

I use AOL bring your own plan. 5 bucks a month for 20MB per screename webspace. Only drawback is the members.aol.com/screename url. That and the 5 bones a month...

kheldarin
08-13-2004, 04:16 AM
www.freewebs.com

It's slow sometimes..but dependable.

Back
08-31-2004, 09:51 PM
I’m giving up on AOL and registering a domain. I pay a by the hour rate at 4.95 a month, but its so damn slow and there is no way to ftp from outside.

Anyone have suggestions for affordable web hosts, if not free?

Bobmuhthol
08-31-2004, 10:36 PM
Freewebs has ads now.

Toxicvixen
09-01-2004, 02:08 AM
12 bucks a month for mine and I got to choose my domain name. Its like having another Gemstone acct and its pretty fun. Though I still need to get a few more ideas for it.

Scott
09-01-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin

If you have a cable modem or DSL, most places give you free webspace. I have Comcast I think it's 25mb per account or something like that. Which it gives me 7 accounts with is 175mb. I don't use it though, but you should probably check to see what your ISP has to offer.

Wezas
09-01-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm looking for a place to host my pickpocket program. The inital download is about 11mb (10mb install, 1mb help file) and Cox.net only allows me 10mb per screen name. Was hoping to put both the install and help files into one zip.

The AOL thing might not be a bad idea.

Back
09-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, after exhaustive research (about 10 minutes) I purchased a domain name, set up 500MB of hosting, and 5 email accounts for $60 a year with Mecca Hosting (http://www.meccahosting.us/). Thats only $5 a month. Next year’s bill will be considerably less since I won’t have to purchase the domain name again. All in all it seems like a sweet deal to me.

So far so good.

Jonty
09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
I use this.

http://www.canaca.com/virtual.html

Back
09-12-2004, 02:15 AM
What is canaca’s upload speed like?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
I'm looking for a place to host my pickpocket program. The inital download is about 11mb (10mb install, 1mb help file) and Cox.net only allows me 10mb per screen name. Was hoping to put both the install and help files into one zip.

The AOL thing might not be a bad idea.

I have an FTP program on my second computer. (It makes my desktop an FTP server, pretty cool freeware). Can send you the software if you are interested.

Tsoran
09-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
I’m giving up on AOL and registering a domain. I pay a by the hour rate at 4.95 a month, but its so damn slow and there is no way to ftp from outside.

Anyone have suggestions for affordable web hosts, if not free?

You could use the hosting company I use for Tsoran.com. It's not free, but it's very inexpensive, and offers huge amounts of storage and bandwith.

Plus I get a referral fee if you sign up, so put Tsoran in the 'referred by' field. ;)

The hosting company is www.powweb.com. They charge $7.77 per month, with 1 gig of disk storage and 5 gig per day of bandwidth. They also offer domain name registration services, but I already had my domain names before I moved my hosting there. Those limits are way above what any other host offers, at least any I'm aware of.

You get email there, plus stuff like mysql, php, perl, and so forth.