>You say, "He's from the... evil... group."

You say, "So he doesn't hunt undead a lot."

>Kaladriel acts puzzled.

>Kaladriel asks, "Evil?"

You mutter council.

You mutter evil.

>Dannah stares off into space.

>Dannah exclaims, "Shh!"

You say, "Dark assassins will not kill me in the Voln courtyard." This turned out to be true...

You say, "Maybe if I step out."

You say, "But not here."

You grin.

Dannah chuckles.
>
You hear a chilling voice whisper in your ear, "Continue to test our patience, and we will certainly see our commitment to silencing your flapping tongue."

>Dannah stands up

>You say, "I heard that."

You ask, "You think I'm afraid?"

>You say, "Lord Voln will protect me."

You remove a polished steel claidhmore with a leather-wrapped hilt from in your back sheath.

>You suddenly sense you've made a grave mistake.

You exclaim, "Come on out Assassins!"

You ask, "Are you prepared to meet your maker?"

Head to TC

Speaking to you, Ryldofen says, "What trouble have you been gettin into."A lot

>Myiera says, "I have seen people taunt the assassin for hours with no luck."

You say, "I don't believe one could harm me."This turned out to be... wrong

>society
Current society status:
You are a member in the Order of Voln at step 23.

You have learned and are able to use the following abilities:
Symbol of Recognition
Symbol of Blessing
Symbol of Thought
Symbol of Recovery
Symbol of Courage
Symbol of Protection
Charl's Throw
Kai's Punch
Phoen's Kick
Symbol of Calming
Symbol of Sleep
Symbol of Turning
Symbol of Mana
Symbol of Sight
Symbol of Holiness
Symbol of Submission
Symbol of Restoration
Symbol of Need
Symbol of Retribution
Charl's Improved Throw
Kai's Improved Punch
Phoen's Improved Kick
Symbol of Preservation

Past society affiliations (resigned or cast out):
You have no past society affiliations.

You may reset your society status one time. Type SOCIETY RESET for details.

>Dannah glances at you.

>Dannah blinks.

>Dannah asks, "Assassains?"

>Dannah gazes in wonder at her surroundings.

>Myiera chuckles.

>report I want to battle a dark assassin, stop having it whisper to me and bring one out!
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

>Dannah gazes fearfully at her surroundings.

>Dannah fidgets.

>Myiera snickers.

You say, "Some unsavory character is whispering to me from the dark."

>You briefly glimpse a furtive figure lurking in the shadows.

>You exclaim, "Come out!"

>You ask, "Are you afraid?"

>You tighten your grip on your steel claidhmore.

You exclaim, "You impress no one skulking in the shadows!"

>report I really want you to kill me, no one believes in the dark assassin anymore, it'd be good if word got around that he was back.

REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

>Ambrei asks, "You were talking about the lord of the toilet?"

>Dannah asks, "Lord of the toilet?"

Ambrei exclaims, "Ive heard him called a poohbah, but its more like poo, Bah!"the assassin should have killed her too

About ten minutes goes by

>go door[Pawnshop, Interior]
Stark wooden floorboards creak under the weight of stacks of bundled weapons and leather. Perched atop the tall bundles is a halfling clerk who looks none too eager to help you. In a place of honor on the wall opposite the door is a portrait of Sniffberry, the pawnshop proprietor. You also see a packing crate.
Obvious exits: out

Your head snaps back suddenly as a hand clamps over your mouth and pulls you backwards. Three slashes across your throat cut short any attempt to scream.

... 175 points of damage!
Incredible slash to your neck!
Throat and vocal cords destroyed!
Zero chance of survival.
The air about you stops shimmering.
The buzz of thoughts in your mind subsides.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
You no longer feel so dextrous.
The air calms down around you.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding you suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
You feel the aura of confidence leave you.
You feel your extra strength departing.
You become solid again.
You feel the inner strength leave you.
You return to normal color.
The light blue glow leaves you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 14 mins...

You struggle briefly, but you collapse and fall to the ground as your strength fails. You barely make out the shadowy figure looming above you as your vision blurs and your senses grow dim. You can still hear the words cold and clear before everything goes dark,

" That is a high price to learn the value of silence."

Everything goes dark and the last thing you hear are faint footsteps and a sinister laughter fading away.

>
* Chivalrous just bit the dust!

All in all a lot of fun. I hope they start killing a lot more people for talking about CoL, you know without actually having to pester them to get them to kill you. Now with death penalties coming back it will actually mean something to die and hopefully people will watch their tongue in game.

Nieninque
08-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Would have been better without the Reports in the middle of it.

I dont think you needed to do that as it looked as if you were on the list anyway.

I have heard of people being killed by the Dark Assassin recently anyway. It hadnt gone away.

Caiylania
08-10-2004, 08:46 AM
I got dumped in a ditch once as warning. hehe

Gan
08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I kept using signal to talk with a hunting partner who was hidden and stalking... no one else in the room... and I got the chilling little voice telling me to behave. I dont remember the exact messaging and all but I'm glad that they have put some things in place to revive the Dark Assassin role.

Muahahahahahahaha.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Ganalon]

Fallen
08-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Some of the best COL related interactions I have seen involve the Dark Assassin. I, too, am glad the GM's continue to uphold the tradition.

Drew
08-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I wish the DA was still more of a regular monster type guy, I saw one leap from the shadows outside the bathouse and kill someone a long time ago... I couldn't find the log of that but a similar one:

A dark assassin screams loudly, its shrill cry expanding outward with waves of magic!
CS: +535 - TD: +4 + CvA: +18 + d100: +30 == +579
Warding failed!
Dragonlance screams in agony and falls to the ground, grasping his head with his hands!
The assassin stops screaming to attack Dragonlance!
A dark assassin claws at Dragonlance!
AS: +360 vs DS: -117 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +2 = +515
... and hits for 153 points of damage!
Massive blow smashes through ribs and drives Dragonlance's heart out the back.

* Dragonlance drops dead at your feet!

Dragonlance is able to move again.
A dark assassin cries, "Another meal for my empty soul!"

It would have been cooler if the one that had killed me was a regular monster type guy, but oh well.

Artha
08-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Haha. That guy needed killing just for his name.

Ilvane
08-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Actually the slitting of the throat is very assassin-like. And besides if it's a secret society, the assassins should be too.:grin:

-A

killjoymp
08-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes and Gemstone should give someone the option to become an assassin too. If it is a society then they should be taking recruits right?

Fallen
08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes and Gemstone should give someone the option to become an assassin too. If it is a society then they should be taking recruits right? >>

Nothing stopping you from rolling up a character that RPs he is an assassin for the good Council. Read up on TOS, make sure you engage in CvC and not PvP and go to town.

fallenSaint
08-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I witnessed a telekenetic(sp) dark assassin in Darkstone probably three years back... it told me I saw nothing and I quite agreed and moved on.

peam
08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the new dark assassin system.

Fallen
08-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Why is that Peam? From what I understand WAY back in the day it used to be somewhat automated. Certain words triggered the assassin if used enough like Council of Light or Poohbah.

Now, basically unless a GM is watching, you have to report for the DA to come. Yes, I will report if someone is speaking aloud of the Council. They never get dragged, but they will most often die in amusing fashion. Once death actually means something again, this will be even more pleasing to witness.

.....GOD I wanna roll up a Council Zealot.

Psycho
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
It's good to know the DA is still alive and killing. Too bad more people talk about the Council in the open now than in the past.

peam
08-11-2004, 03:43 PM
The new system is the automated one.

Fallen
08-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Two answer both posts at once, simply Report their ass for speaking aloud of the council. Of course tell them to shut it in game, which knowing most players these days will encourage them to say more. From there you get to watch the council at work.

When reporting, you usually get a personalized GM response. My favorite to date was a shadowy group of gnomes and a Giant Crossbow. I still have the log of that, I believe. Excellent stuff.

Drew
08-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I got a send later from one of the GM's saying he hoped I liked it.

AlahnnaDenale
08-11-2004, 07:55 PM
My favorite was when I was sitting in River's Rest and someone said something to me about the Poohbah. I said outloud instead of whispering, "Poohbah, Smoohbah, what kind of a stupid title is Poohbah anyway?"

About 15 minutes later, I'm out hunting, and a chilling voice whispered, "Death to traitors" to me.

Consider that it was 2 AM, Dark, Storming outside, and at the exact moment that (highlighted) phrase popped onto my screen, my cat leapt onto my desk. Scared the SHIT out of me.

I kept getting whispers for like, then next half hour, about one every 5 minutes or so, kept searching, enlisted others to help me find out what it was, etc...

Then finally a group of people grabbed me, threw me on the ground, put stakes through hands, arms, legs, feet, put out my eyes, ripped out my tongue, then put a stake through my neck to kill me.

From then on, Alahnna's had a fairly large vendetta against the Council itself, though she doesn't know quite what it is... she's been RPing a bit of an "investigation" into what got her. But the DA was fun, and I told the GMs they did great with that one.

Fallen
08-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Awesome, Alahnna. That sounds like quite alot of fun.

killjoymp
08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
That sounds outstanding, I am glad to see that the GM's can also have their little kicks too. That is a nice way to die i think.

Parkbandit
08-12-2004, 09:25 AM
My issue with it is that you get these dumbasses who, after they die by the hand of the assassin, still don't get it. They begin to yell out "Come on Poobah! You can't do that again!" If they get killed again, it makes them even more likely to continue.

They should do this:

1) Assassinate first offense
2) Strip them of 5 ranks second offense
3) Strip them of 20 ranks third offense
4) Evict them on fourth offense.

fallenSaint
08-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Id like it if they could keep things quieted up a bit as well and your idea is great if they are in the Council itself ... We have plenty of Voln followers that yap about it as well. And while they are enforcing secret things it would be fun to oh I dunno make the rogue guild a bit secret?

Artha
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
And while they are enforcing secret things it would be fun to oh I dunno make the rogue guild a bit secret?

Mentioning the guild out loud should be consent to CvC.

Parkbandit
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
The rogue guild itself is not a secret.. only it's location. We have someone who stands guard there and only those who have a passcode can enter.

Artha
08-12-2004, 11:29 AM
I've always seen it like the mob. People know it exists, but people who ask too many questions or draw too much attention to it end up getting hurt.

Edaarin
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
The Rogue's Guild was meant to be secret?

You work your way out of an imposing stygian forged hauberk wrought of dark steel.
Removing your hauberk uncovers your Rogue Guild tattoo.
>tap rog tat
You tap a Rogue Guild tattoo.

Artha
08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Even secret societies have symbols and such.

http://www3.famille.ne.jp/~hayato/images/sell_zippo1953F-front1.jpg

fallenSaint
08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
And Artha's society is now en route to assassinate him ;)

But yea they kinda stuffed them into the back of the gaming halls with passcodes and the such for a reason. But they just dont want to put forth the time to keep CoL or the Rogue Guild in the cloak and shadows they spit forth randomly on CoL and apparently are trying to pick that back up.

And yea what Artha said.