PDA

View Full Version : Foodstamps?

peam
08-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Does anyone know if college students are eligible for food stamps? Furthermore, if they were, would it be a severe violation of common morals to take advantage of said system?

I claim myself on my taxes and all, so I'm pretty sure I could get at least some assistance.

Bobmuhthol
08-10-2004, 01:21 AM
You're eligible as long as you're poor.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/fs_Res_Ben_Elig.htm

Marl
08-10-2004, 01:22 AM
I know a lot of people that have living assistance, food assistance, etc etc one I think is still in college but not sure. Nothing wrong with using the system, thats what it is there for. I know people that live for free, eat for free, get a car for free, and have VERY lucritive jobs that pay them tax free.......if they can, why not you?

Weedmage Princess
08-10-2004, 01:23 AM
I think as long as you live on your own and make under a certain amount of money, you're eligible. There should be some sort of number to call.

And no, you're not violating any moral code or anything. As a tax payer, I'd rather see someone like you, who's working hard to get through school and take care of himself than some loser who has no ambitions of doing anything other than sitting on their ass and letting the tax payers support them.

Hulkein
08-10-2004, 01:27 AM
As long as you can choke down that government cheese, it's yours for the taking :)

My cousin used to come to our house regularly trying to sell my mom food stamps in exchange for cash so he could gamble it away at the track.

ThisOtherKingdom
08-10-2004, 02:08 AM
Yeah, you can't do that anymore. They give you a card that gets deducted from after every use.

Too many people were selling their food stamps to buy liquor and stuff, I guess.

Scott
08-10-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ThisOtherKingdom
Yeah, you can't do that anymore. They give you a card that gets deducted from after every use.

Too many people were selling their food stamps to buy liquor and stuff, I guess.

Depends on where you live. Some states still have the paper food stamps. If I remember correctly, Deleware is one of them.

SpunGirl
08-10-2004, 03:23 AM
My dad and his three roomates qualified for food stamps when they were in college. If you can get them, go for it!

I got extremely irritated in college when I found out that, despite NOT exceeding the maximum income requirements, myself and my two roomates did not qualify for the reduced housing rate where we were renting because we were full-time students. WTF is that about... let's discount the rate of people who are staying where they're at and fuck over the people who are trying to better themselves? Lame.

-K

Edited to add: Their reasoning was the fact that many college students have rent paid for by their parents. We didn't.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by SpunGirl]

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 05:51 AM
my little sister just had a baby and she and her hubby are in college, they get food stamps. but she tells me that it's such a hassel sometimes it's not worth it.

my advice: don't deal with the system unless its absolutely neccessary.

and yes, if you don't absolutely need them...don't be a dick and abuse the system. Let someone who actually has little children to feed get the opportunity to do so. You don't want to be the cause of a few starving babies do you?

SpunGirl
08-10-2004, 05:55 AM
When was the last time you heard about a baby starving to death in the USA because no government agency would help feed it? Seriously.

-K

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by SpunGirl]

Weedmage Princess
08-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Chyrain you're way off base, no one eligible is going to starve for food. Atleast not in the US. Are you from the US?

If you don't make X amount of dollars and support yourself (basically, you have a paystub to show the people and no one is claiming you at the end of the year), you'll receive food stamps. Again, even if he were abusing the system, he wouldn't be taking food out of anyone's mouth.

AnticorRifling
08-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Chyrain
my little sister just had a baby and she and her hubby are in college, they get food stamps. but she tells me that it's such a hassel sometimes it's not worth it.

my advice: don't deal with the system unless its absolutely neccessary.

and yes, if you don't absolutely need them...don't be a dick and abuse the system. Let someone who actually has little children to feed get the opportunity to do so. You don't want to be the cause of a few starving babies do you?

Don't have so many kids. I don't care if sex is cheap entertainment if you can't feed 2 why have 6? Don't make it sound like a college kid using the system is evil. And I'm not saying you have too many kids so don't try and go that route because given the fact I don't know you I won't make those kinds of assumtions.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Or you could do what I did in college...

I GOT A FUCKING JOB

AnticorRifling
08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
And we see how well you turned out....

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I just never understood this need for a handout. I was working since I was 13. Guess what, if I needed money.. I WORKED for it. I saved up.

I was not given any special opportunity.. I made my own opportunities.

AnticorRifling
08-10-2004, 09:15 AM
PB is an old guy wearing short shorts, black socks, sandels and a wife beater. He sits on his porch and when kids go by he shakes his fist and says "Damn kids."

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
PB is an old guy wearing short shorts, black socks, sandels and a wife beater. He sits on his porch and when kids go by he shakes his fist and says "Damn kids."

1) 39 is NOT OLD you fucker.
2) I don't wear short shorts.. I have pasty white legs.. it wouldn't be pretty.
3) Only wear black socks with my black suit.
4) They are not sandles.. they are called my MANdles. And I rarely wear socks with them.. if I do they are the low white ones.
5) I don't have a porch.
6) When the kids go by.. I'll either spray them with a hose or invite them to get their ass kicked at basketball.

You don't know me Anticor. You SO don't know me.

Latrinsorm
08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
4) They are not sandles.. they are called my MANdles. And I rarely wear socks with them.. if I do they are the low white ones. Sandals + socks = you're old.

Can't argue with math. :no:

(Also, Peam already has a job. Tut tut.)

Weedmage Princess
08-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Different strokes for different folks, PB. Peam has a job, for one reason or another, his situation is obviously different from yours. Programs such as foodstamps are there for exactly his reason. A temporary solution to help out during tough times. Shame on you for that post of yours, he hasn't posted his situation here and frankly it's none of our business.

DeV
08-10-2004, 10:18 AM
College students are eligible as long as your income does not exceed a certain limit.
I wouldn't consider it a violation of morals to use the system if it's available. TOK is right about Illinois...my mom used to work for Public Aid in Illinois way back when they were starting to revamp the system. She would always get grievances brought up against her from recipients who she would encourage to get off of welfare. They didn't see the changes that were soon to take place. She eventually quit after she got her Masters, thank God. In IL they give you a LINK card which they put a certain amount of money on each month for you to use with a pin number. People STILL sell their link card money for cash though.

Im not sure how the Welfare laws are in your state, but in IL it's not even worth it especially if you're already working which is sad. It should be in place for people who are working and going through tough times. Hopefully they don't send you through a million loop holes just to give you 30 bucks a month for food.
Good luck with it.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
I got a job too. Go PB.

WTF? His situation? His situation 6-8 months ago was posting pictures of the keg in his apartment, deciding if he wanted a fish tank and how his car got in an accident in the ice.

He's not fucking destitute. Its NOT free foodstamps. People who pay taxes, pay for it.

You are right, its none of my business, its only my money right? Tough times? Give me a fucking break. He's got a computer, a car and goes to college.

Bleeding hearts are going to give me an aneurysm.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
Different strokes for different folks, PB. Peam has a job, for one reason or another, his situation is obviously different from yours. Programs such as foodstamps are there for exactly his reason. A temporary solution to help out during tough times. Shame on you for that post of yours, he hasn't posted his situation here and frankly it's none of our business.

Shame on me my ass. I'm sorry, I don't know his situation, but going on foodstamps should be for people who cannot get a job. Peam is intelligent and not disabled as far as I can tell.

Live within your means or get a 2nd job. Save the Foodstamps for people who need them to survive.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

4) They are not sandles.. they are called my MANdles. And I rarely wear socks with them.. if I do they are the low white ones. Sandals + socks = you're old.

Can't argue with math. :no:

(Also, Peam already has a job. Tut tut.)

You couldn't BE more wrong. Socks and sandles and socks and flip flops are actually coming onto the fashion scene.

I rarely wear socks with my mandles... but when I do.. I look stylish man.

Weedmage Princess
08-10-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm far from a "bleeding heart" believe me, but just cause I said the program is put in place for exactly HIS reason makes me one? No, you might want to take that up with the government and those who started those programs way back when.

A keg he had in his apartment (which he shared with a roommate), a computer and a car doesn't mean anything. A computer in a lot of colleges is basically a necessity these days anyway, and depending on where you live, so is a car. We also don't know how he came into such possessions so the argument right there is pretty moot. Also moot cause you're talking 8 months ago versus now.

Again, he's looking to use a program that was created for the reasons he's needing it. I pay taxes (a damn lot) too and I damn sure rather see him and others like him take advantage of it versus the other clowns out there. You should save that tirade for the next time someone sells their foodstamps for cigarrettes or something.

Weedmage Princess
08-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Okay.

Edaarin
08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Do what the rest of us do.

Ramen are only $0.11 a pack.

(I don't eat Ramen, nor any other white imitation instant noodle).

Artha
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM

<insert joke about cats here>

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
I got a job too. Go PB.

WTF? His situation? His situation 6-8 months ago was posting pictures of the keg in his apartment, deciding if he wanted a fish tank and how his car got in an accident in the ice.

He's not fucking destitute. Its NOT free foodstamps. People who pay taxes, pay for it.

You are right, its none of my business, its only my money right? Tough times? Give me a fucking break. He's got a computer, a car and goes to college.

Bleeding hearts are going to give me an aneurysm.

I didn't have a car when I went to college... couldn't afford one.

I didn't have a computer when I went to college... couldn't afford one.

It's all about taking responsibility and living within your means. I worked 1 work study job and 1 full time job while I went to college. I would have early classes, leave and shake farts out of sheets at the Holiday Inn, come back and go to more classes. On weekends I worked 10 hours and then did an extra 3 hours of work study. I still managed to have a blast at college, be the dorm president, win Killer 2 years in a row, have a steady girlfriend, cheat on her a few times, get drunk to the point I blacked out on 3 seperate occasions, play intermurial football and "Jo Willie" football, study and do well in my classes.

Boo fucking hoo.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
From Peam's LJ, from his profile here.

8/7/04 PARTY!!!!!!
7/1/04 I'm having a party Sunday July 4th at my Dad's house near Covington.
6/19/04 Anyone want to go to Warped in Virginia Beach this year? It's August 3rd.
6/14/04 Yeah, I had a party.

Whats that about selling foodstamps for cigarettes again? Or is it for the alcohol?

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Do what the rest of us do.

Ramen are only $0.11 a pack.

Ramen Noodles
PB&J
Mac & Cheese
All you can eat cheap buffet lines
Hotdogs
Ramen Noodles
Inviting myself over to friend's houses
Sister sponging
Ramen Noodles

peam
08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
You guys bitching about "back in my day" can fuck right off.

I have three jobs. I work at a video store, serve tables at a restaurant, and have an office asisstant job via the work study program.

I'm obviously not starving, but if crackheads and junkies who refuse to work can abuse the foodstamp system for years, why is there such a problem with a college student using the system?

I obviously am trying to do something with my life, I'm not afraid of employment, and it sure wouldn't be a thorn in my side if the government spotted me fifty bucks a month for food.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Just think when you are "old" and are looking at things "back in the day" with your kids, you can tell em how you milked the system for foodstamps. Go for it.

Party on man.

Just calling it like I see it.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by peam
You guys bitching about "back in my day" can fuck right off.

I have three jobs. I work at a video store, serve tables at a restaurant, and have an office asisstant job via the work study program.

I'm obviously not starving, but if crackheads and junkies who refuse to work can abuse the foodstamp system for years, why is there such a problem with a college student using the system?

I obviously am trying to do something with my life, I'm not afraid of employment, and it sure wouldn't be a thorn in my side if the government spotted me fifty bucks a month for food.

If you have 3 jobs and still consider having to go on the Foodstamps program to make ends meet.. you are not living within your means.

That will cause you problems later on in life. Budget your money properly and you will be surprised what you can afford.

With 3 jobs, I doubt you can meet the requirements for the program.. and if you do, you are working the wrong jobs. 3 jobs <= poor and destitute.

peam
08-10-2004, 10:50 AM
I would have no problem at all with telling my children that I took an unconvential means to work the system to my advantage.

And PB, I've said it before, I'm not having trouble buying food. Hell, I'm probably not going to even try to sign up for the system. It was more of a theoretical question, as I was messing around with Virginia's website, and saw that I may be eligible for the foodstamp program. It just seems to me that a college student who could benefit greatly from a spare $50 a month would be a better candidate for government assistance than a junkie/boozehound who is just going to trade away the food for smack/cheap wine.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by peam

And that brings up a good point.. if the program is being abused by crackheads and junkies.. then perhaps limits should be put in place to prevent that from happening. I EXPECT limits to be put in place... it's my money that is supporting this program.

I CERTAINLY didn't envision the program to give handouts to this group of social scum.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Hey Peam.. you simply brought to light a growing problem with this country and it's need to help those that should be helping themselves. It's called Liberalism.

peam
08-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
From Peam's LJ, from his profile here.

8/7/04 PARTY!!!!!!
7/1/04 I'm having a party Sunday July 4th at my Dad's house near Covington.
6/19/04 Anyone want to go to Warped in Virginia Beach this year? It's August 3rd.
6/14/04 Yeah, I had a party.

Whats that about selling foodstamps for cigarettes again? Or is it for the alcohol?

You forgot the one coming up on the 21st.

Latrinsorm
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Socks and sandles and socks and flip flops are actually coming onto the fashion scene.And we all know that older people from Florida really drive the fashion community. :D
you simply brought to light a growing problem with this country ... It's called Liberalism.Maybe it's just me, but that sounds kind of odd/atypical coming from an atheist.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM

Socks and sandles and socks and flip flops are actually coming onto the fashion scene.And we all know that older people from Florida really drive the fashion community. :D
you simply brought to light a growing problem with this country ... It's called Liberalism.Maybe it's just me, but that sounds kind of odd/atypical coming from an atheist.

Sandal comment.. I hate you.

Liberal comment... do you believe that I should believe that Religion is a bigger problem than Liberalism?

Artha
08-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Liberal comment... do you believe that I should believe that Religion is a bigger problem than Liberalism?

You're asking that of Latrinsorm?

Drew2
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I only have two things to say after reading all this.

1. Parkbandit, you ARE old. Very old.
2. You wouldn't know fashion if it tried to sell you foodstamps.

OH AND I HAVE A JOKE!

How do you starve a black man???

HIDE HIS FOODSTAMPS IN HIS WORKBOOTS LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!1

(No I'm not racist I just know 100,000 racist jokes)

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
When was the last time you heard about a baby starving to death in the USA because no government agency would help feed it? Seriously.

Firstly, that comment was mostly tongue in cheek. If you knew my sense of humor, I'm sure you would have realized.

Secondly, UNICEF released a number saying that 1 in 4 children under the age of 12 are not getting enough to eat in America. For example: children who are homeless are obviously not getting enough to eat.

This was my point: If all of the bastards who milked the system grew a conscience we could take all of that money wasted on them and put it to better use: like filling the food banks with more food, giving some of that money to homeless or battered women shelters. We don't need to tax MORE to help more people. We need less people like peam who think the system is a game and not something that saves people's lives.

Latrinsorm
08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Liberal comment... do you believe that I should believe that Religion is a bigger problem than Liberalism?I don't quite understand what you're saying, but here goes: I honestly believe you'd be better off with religion or a belief in God. So in a way, you should believe Religion is a bigger problem than most things of a philosophical nature (i.e. politics). That's not what I was talking about with the atheist crack, though. I was making reference to the national motto of America and the conventional wisdom of conservatives and their religiousness. :)

Drew2
08-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Liberal comment... do you believe that I should believe that Religion is a bigger problem than Liberalism? I honestly believe you'd be better off with religion or a belief in God.

Sad.

Ravenstorm
08-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Secondly, UNICEF released a number saying that 1 in 4 children under the age of 12 are not getting enough to eat in America. For example: children who are homeless are obviously not getting enough to eat.

This was my point: If all of the bastards who milked the system grew a conscience we could take all of that money wasted on them and put it to better use: like filling the food banks with more food, giving some of that money to homeless or battered women shelters. We don't need to tax MORE to help more people. We need less people like peam who think the system is a game and not something that saves people's lives.

Who the hell cares about malnourished children? Only stupid liberals who are ruining the country. After all, the real problem are the drug addicts and other users taking advantage of the system so we should just stop it entirely. And if a some children starve because of it, oh well. At least we'll have gotten rid of that damn liberalism!

Raven

Artha
08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
so we should just stop it entirely.

I don't recall reform meaning 'stop it entirely.' I could be wrong, though.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
I only have two things to say after reading all this.

1. Parkbandit, you ARE old. Very old.

Why do you come to this conclusion? Is it because:

1) I can remember watching tv without a remote. Who the hell needed a remote for the 4 channels you could get?

2) I had a rotary phone

3) My first computer experience was with the Apple II

4) I remember where I was when the Challenger crash was announced

5) I used to have a record collection

6) I used to listen to Elvis.. live.

Drew2
08-10-2004, 02:33 PM
BECAUSE ANYONE BORN IN THE 60'S OR BEFOR IS OLD AND SHOULD PROBABLY BE DYING SOON SO THERE IS SOME SOCIAL SECURITY LEFT FOR ME WHEN I AM OLD.

THAT'S HOW.

In fact, put everyone born before 1980 in that category too.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Tayre]

Artha
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Why do you come to this conclusion? Is it because:

1) I can remember watching tv without a remote. Who the hell needed a remote for the 4 channels you could get?

2) I had a rotary phone

3) My first computer experience was with the Apple II

4) I remember where I was when the Challenger crash was announced

5) I used to have a record collection

6) I used to listen to Elvis.. live.

Wow. You're old...like my dad.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Who the hell cares about malnourished children? Only stupid liberals who are ruining the country. After all, the real problem are the drug addicts and other users taking advantage of the system so we should just stop it entirely. And if a some children starve because of it, oh well. At least we'll have gotten rid of that damn liberalism!

Raven

Yea.. who the hell cares if 9 out of 10 people abuse the program and use it to avoid having to become a useful member of society. Who the hell cares if they use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. Think of the 1 in 10 people we really make a difference with!! HAPPY DAYS NOW GIVE ME A HUG!!!

Shari
08-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I just never understood this need for a handout. I was working since I was 13. Guess what, if I needed money.. I WORKED for it. I saved up.

I was not given any special opportunity.. I made my own opportunities.

...and we ate DIRT for dinner and were GRATEFUL!...and when I was working at 13 I had to walk uphill BOTH WAYS, butt-naked through broken glass with my ass on fire and my hair catching...and we were GRATEFUL!

Oh, and the whole socks/sandals, no remote for the tv, listening to Elvis LIVE....

Uh, hi dad.

<sortof walks away, because she knows PB will never catch up to her with his walker, even if it is outfitted with tennis balls on the bottom for easier gliding on the ground>

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Jesae]

Ravenstorm
08-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Artha

PB's post is a perfect example of the lack of reform ever being mentioned. Conservatives regularly lie about the numbers and dismiss as unimportant the ones who truly need help. After all, those 1 in 4 children should just find a sweatshop to work in and become productive members of society. And the older ones in their early teens can prostitute themselves for cash instead of taking his hard earned tax dollars.

Just so long as the drug addicts don't get any of it.

Raven

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
...and we ate DIRT for dinner and were GREATFUL!...and when I was working at 13 I had to walk uphill BOTH WAYS, butt-naked through broken glass with my ass on fire and my hair catching...and we were GREATFUL!

Back then we spelled it grateful too.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Don't think that this 39 year old can't catch you and beat your ass Jesae... I'm fast and spry for my age.

PS - I think using the term spry adds about 10 years to my actual age... and that makes me sad. :(

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Artha

PB's post is a perfect example of the lack of reform ever being mentioned. Conservatives regularly lie about the numbers and dismiss as unimportant the ones who truly need help. After all, those 1 in 4 children should just find a sweatshop to work in and become productive members of society. And the older ones in their early teens can prostitute themselves for cash instead of taking his hard earned tax dollars.

Just so long as the drug addicts don't get any of it.

Raven

And Raven's post is an example of the typical Liberal idea that who the hell cares how much it costs and who abuses it.. it helps someone, so let's just sit back and smoke some weed and hug each other because money doesn't mean shit. Sure we won't have to work for a living... let those rich fuckers do it while we suck them dry.

Shari
08-10-2004, 02:58 PM
How so? You gonna pull one of them tennis balls off and throw it at the back of my head in the hopes it will knock me unconscious so you can catch up?

*I was reading over my last post and was debating on whether it was grateful or not..I went back and changed it to greatful because for some reason it looked funny to me.* See what happens when you're a lazy ass and decide not to use Spellcheck?

Edited because I think I am still too tired to spell correctly today.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Jesae]

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 03:04 PM
I forgive you Jesae, I know you were kidding and I was kidding and we were all kidding and now its just anarchy.

Shari
08-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Um...I wasn't kidding about PB being really fucking OLD.

<hides>

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Don't forget hairy.

Ravenstorm
08-10-2004, 03:26 PM
And Raven's post is an example of the typical Liberal idea that who the hell cares how much it costs and who abuses it.. it helps someone, so let's just sit back and smoke some weed and hug each other because money doesn't mean shit. Sure we won't have to work for a living... let those rich fuckers do it while we suck them dry.

I'm all for reforming the system. But I'd rather let one person abuse the system if it means 4 people get helped than let 4 people starve to keep one from abusing the system.

Raven

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 03:45 PM

Yea.. who the hell cares if 9 out of 10 people abuse the program and use it to avoid having to become a useful member of society. Who the hell cares if they use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. Think of the 1 in 10 people we really make a difference with!! HAPPY DAYS NOW GIVE ME A HUG!!!

this is sorta what I meant about people making comments they can't prove and being retarded about their arguments.

no one will ever see the validity of the point with you spouting off "9 out of 10 people abuse the system."

Maybe 9 out of 10 people that you know, but really that says more about the people you keep company with than the general population.

Ilvane
08-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh Goodness PB!!!

Liberalism is not the root of all evil. Conservatism on the right is just as bad.

That being said, I'd rather feed Peam than give money to fund a war in Iraq.

-A

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Something I just thought I'd toss out incase its not been mentioned.

With the current reforms done to the welfare system, people now have a limited ammount of use of the system. This means, you get X ammount of time in your entire life that you can use the system. In Washington state, its 5 years. I'm not sure if its a state to state thing, or something that covers all states. Something to look into.

-The son of a state worker, who happens to work for the welfare system.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ilvane
Oh Goodness PB!!!

Liberalism is not the root of all evil. Conservatism on the right is just as bad.

That being said, I'd rather feed Peam than give money to fund a war in Iraq.

-A

I completely agree.. and always have. I think we need both views and that too much of one view is a bad thing.

There are many things I don't agree with on the conservative side.. the whole right to life and bible beating are at the top.. but their policies and economic theories I believe are the most sound.

And Ilvane, please.. feel free to U2U Peam for his address. I am almost sure he would love to receive a nice check from you on a monthly basis.. just to help him get on his feet.

DeV
08-10-2004, 04:03 PM
They have done quite a bit of revamping here in Illinois Adredrin. Welfare recipients must work an actual job if they want to get cash assistance. Many recipients are realizing that these jobs which they are required to work, usually 30-40 hours per week to get $200.00 in cash a month is not worth it. I think this is a good idea. Eventually they learn that working a regular job, even McDonalds is going to pay more than the government assistance. It's still fairly easy to obtain a medical card and food stamps however the government isn't offering as much in food stamps as they previously did. I'm not too sure about the other changes. I do know one thing, welfare reform still has a long way to go.

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
They have done quite a bit of revamping here in Illinois Adredrin. Welfare recipients must work an actual job if they want to get cash assistance. Many recipients are realizing that these jobs which they are required to work, usually 30-40 hours per week to get $200.00 in cash a month is not worth it. I think this is a good idea. Eventually they learn that working a regular job, even McDonalds is going to pay more than the government assistance. It's still fairly easy to obtain a medical card and food stamps however the government isn't offering as much in food stamps as they previously did. I'm not too sure about the other changes. I do know one thing, welfare reform still has a long way to go.

Yes, the same is done here. But your not "forced" to get the job, if they are smart enough to play the system. The good and bad of having a mother who works in the system, is I know how it works, and I know how everyone abuses it.

Example :

If your expecting a child, you don't need to work, and they will grant you assistance up untill the baby is 3 years old. So, what do they do? They pop a new kid every 2.5 years or so.

Another :

Your required to search for a job, or hold a job while getting assistance. The first few months is free, once those are up, you must show paperwork on where you have turned in applications, and get a sheet signed every time you go to an interview. So what do they do? Turn in applications to jobs they KNOW they can't get. :shrug:

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
Something I just thought I'd toss out incase its not been mentioned.

With the current reforms done to the welfare system, people now have a limited ammount of use of the system. This means, you get X ammount of time in your entire life that you can use the system. In Washington state, its 5 years. I'm not sure if its a state to state thing, or something that covers all states. Something to look into.

-The son of a state worker, who happens to work for the welfare system.

i think the best situation would to be setting up a work/study for money program.

I don't believe people should just be handed checks without having to work for what they get. So someone goes on welfare, they have a choice to either do some labor or go to school to get further education to get a job that will support their family. If they aren't willing to do that, then they don't get help. Put them in touch with some life guidance counselors that can help them take advantage of the federal grants and loans available to low-income folks going to school. Make them take a money management course that will help them learn the responsibilities of budgeting and living within their means...

there are a ton of things we can do to make things better, none of which includes removing all funding to help people get on their feet. Some of these people come from generations of people who could never get their shit together. We've got to have a system that cuts off the problem at the source, not creates new problems.

Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I believe that the vast majority of people would feel better if they actually felt they had the ability to advance their knowledge and gain the self-esteem to be self sufficient. And if we had a country where a huge population finally learned how to respect themselves, a lot of the other problems would eventually work themselves out.

Ravenstorm
08-10-2004, 04:10 PM
If your expecting a child, you don't need to work, and they will grant you assistance up untill the baby is 3 years old. So, what do they do? They pop a new kid every 2.5 years or so.

Solution: mandatory contraceptive implants.

See? I'm only partially liberal.

i think the best situation would to be setting up a work/study for money program.

Agreed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

Raven

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Ravenstorm]

DeV
08-10-2004, 04:14 PM
So true. My mother couldn't take working for the system in IL any longer and thankfully used their Upward Mobility program to finish grad school and move on. The abuse of the system is still pretty wide spread. The government finally stopped granting extra cash assistance based on the number of children you had. I also think the government is somewhat at fault for the generations of families that stayed on welfare and relied on the system to pay the bills, keep a roof over their head, and put food on the table.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Holy shit.. I'm feeling faint.

Ravenstorm and I agree. Tie the bitch's tubes!

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM

Your required to search for a job, or hold a job while getting assistance. The first few months is free, once those are up, you must show paperwork on where you have turned in applications, and get a sheet signed every time you go to an interview. So what do they do? Turn in applications to jobs they KNOW they can't get. :shrug:

so if they can't prove they actually hold a job, and they're only looking...You can look for a job and do 15-20 hours of labor a week for the state to earn the right to get their check. If they don't have a job, and dont show up for 20 hours of service, then no cash.

I live in washington state too, and that 1-90 has got some serious litter issues. Our parks could be cleaner too.

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:17 PM

Solution: mandatory contraceptive implants.

See? I'm only partially liberal.

Raven

With the current guidelines they could not do so.

They are not allowed to cause any rift with the applicants religious beliefs. And lets face it..most people on welfare (around here anyway) are hispanics. And most of those are catholic.

Another amusing side note. The DSHS (welfare) will NOT, I repeat NOT give medical assistance for a man to get a Vasetomy. But the government will happily pay for the ENTIRE operation to reverse an Vasetomy for any male who is either getting assistance, or who's family is getting assitance (IE the wife is getting assistance, and the husband wants it reversed.)

How fucked up is that?

Ravenstorm
08-10-2004, 04:21 PM
With the current guidelines they could not do so.

Well, I seriously doubt they ever could under any guidelines. The ACLU would be up in arms, not to mention the Catholic Church and several other organizations. If I were Ultimate Dictator of America however, I wouldn't give a damn who was up in arms and just do it. If you can't support yourself, you can't have children. It would only be reversed (or removed) when the person goes off the system.

How fucked up is that?

Very.

Raven

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
To give an idea of how distorted the welfare system really is, I'll post a small, but true story.

So, a friend of mine and I are bored one day, and we are talking about how screwed up some parts of the government is. On a whim, we deside to check up on the guidelines, and see if his family could get welfare. Now, this friends family is not hard off AT ALL. They live in a huge house, have 3-4 cars, own their own farm AND winery here in WA. So, I do some digging in my mothers information books, and pull out an spair application she has in her binder.

All told, over 90% of their belongings could be writen off, and they qualified for FULL benifits from the DSHS. Full medical, and $600/mo Food Stamps.

The house, even though paid off, could not count twords them, as they had kids living under the roof. The two small trucks are writen off because the father and mother use them for work duties. The Van was offed because they have a handicapped (the elderly grandfather) living with them, and it is used to transport him. The other car could be marked off as a gift to the son, and not counted as an item of the household. They are both self imployed, so their income "changes monthly due to weather, work conditions, work avaliablity, and family restraints".

All told, we spent two hours figuring it all out, and laughing our ass off the whole time.

Jorddyn
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Holy shit.. I'm feeling faint.

Ravenstorm and I agree. Tie the bitch's tubes!

Don't forget to snip daddy while you're at it.

Takes two to make a kid, two are responsible for supporting one. If they fail, it is on BOTH of them.

Jorddyn

Jorddyn
08-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Another amusing side note. The DSHS (welfare) will NOT, I repeat NOT give medical assistance for a man to get a Vasetomy. But the government will happily pay for the ENTIRE operation to reverse an Vasetomy for any male who is either getting assistance, or who's family is getting assitance (IE the wife is getting assistance, and the husband wants it reversed.)
How fucked up is that?

Extremely.

Free birth control for all, mandatory for those on any form of government assistance, fewer mouths to feed, fewer bodies to clothe, we all win.

Jorddyn

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn

How fucked up is that?

Extremely.

Free birth control for all, mandatory for those on any form of government assistance, fewer mouths to feed, fewer bodies to clothe, we all win.

Jorddyn

Can't be done. Too many orgs would fight it every step of the way, just as Raven said.

Parkbandit
08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Giving away free birth control isn't the answer. Why does every solution cost me more money?

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Giving away free birth control isn't the answer. Why does every solution cost me more money?

We could always place the law that China has. 1 kid / family. Period.

But then again, that would cause problems with the Morman (Mormen?) Faith. So thats a no go too.

Yay for freedoms?

Chyrain
08-10-2004, 04:45 PM

But then again, that would cause problems with the Morman (Mormen?) Faith. So thats a no go too.

right...since when has china been some sort of pillar of happy living? don't blame it on the mormons.

Trinitis
08-10-2004, 04:47 PM

right...since when has china been some sort of pillar of happy living? don't blame it on the mormons.

Who said I was laying blame on the Mormons? I was simply stating that we could try to institute a law stating that a family could have no more then 1 kid. But, as I said before, this would conflict with the Mormon beliefs, and because of the freedom for religion act that the US upholds, the government could not infringe on that belief..

Jorddyn
08-10-2004, 04:48 PM

It would cost money in the short run. Seems to me it'd save money in the long run. Obviously, I haven't done a study of how many women would use the system that would otherwise spew out children and then require welfare, but it seems to me logical that you could afford a lot of $20 a month birth control pills (or less on the shot or Norplant) for the cost of one welfare child.

Jorddyn, yes I know that sentence barely made sense.

Latrinsorm
08-10-2004, 05:39 PM
NOW GIVE ME A HUG!!! Aww, is that what this is all about? Ok, PB. :hug: Your rose-colored glasses are in the mail. :hippie: (I just put Parkbandit, Someplace in Florida as the address, that'll work, right?)

Shari
08-10-2004, 05:56 PM
You could add a little note on the package to tell them to look for an old guy wearing socks with his sandals.

....shit, nevermind. I forgot he's in Florida.

SpunGirl
08-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Anyone who doesn't think the system is routinely abused by gigantic groups of people should read Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc.

-K

Trinitis
08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Anyone who doesn't think the system is routinely abused by gigantic groups of people should read Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc.

-K

You read the strangest shit :P

Jorddyn
08-11-2004, 12:07 PM

-K

You read the strangest shit :P

Actually, that's a great book. I went from being annoyed at everyone who wanted money but wouldn't work, to being just sick at the horrible decisions some people make, to wondering how in the hell do you break that cycle.

Growing up where I did, life just wasn't like it is in her story, so I appreciated the look into a world I'd never otherwise see.

Jorddyn, Iowa Girl

SpunGirl
08-12-2004, 02:25 AM
I'm glad someone else has read it. Yes, there were times I felt really sorry for the people in the book and how the system worked against them. But look at the access that the family had to all that money (albeit illegal money). They could have set themselves, and their children, up for life with just a sliver of the cash that came their way. Instead, the one girl had 40 leather jackets and bought fur coats for her two year old.

-K

Parkbandit
08-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jesae
You could add a little note on the package to tell them to look for an old guy wearing socks with his sandals.

....shit, nevermind. I forgot he's in Florida.

Jesae> :club: <Falgrin
Jesae> :wedgie: <Falgrin
Jesae> :whipit: <Falgrin ;)