PDA

View Full Version : Open hand casting and you.

GemstoneFan
08-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Do you really benefit from casting "open-handed" as a cleric/sorc/wizard?

My wizard keeps weapon out, and shield put away. Open-handed smiting. Cannot notice a difference in CS or TvD but supposedly you hit more often or crit more often open handed casting as such.

Is this true or a rumor? How come the stats don't reflect it? I came across someone very old today who had never even heard of open-handed casting, acted like I was some kind of idiot for suggesting it. Am I wrong?

Taernath
08-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Open hand casting definitely works well for clerics and sorcerors. I'm not so sure about wizards.

OHC raises the amount of damage dealt by a large degree, though from these two shots it seems small. I could get a better sampling if I felt like doing more, but I don't . :P

(neutral, with weapon in hand)
A scintillating, blue-white aura encompasses a zombie.
CS: +135 - TD: +69 + CvA: +25 + d100: +87 == +178
Warding failed!
Multiple rays of blue-white energy ignite several patches of a zombie's skin in a blaze of energy.
The zombie is hit for 74 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Muscle and blood explode from the zombie's abdomen in a steaming spray!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

(ohc)
A scintillating, blue-white aura encompasses a zombie.
CS: +135 - TD: +69 + CvA: +25 + d100: +91 == +182
Warding failed!
Large wisps of blue-white energy lash out at a zombie, cauterizing the impact marks on the skin in an instant.
The zombie is hit for 92 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Glaring burst to the zombie's chest dances across skin leaving smoking holes!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

[Edited on 8/21/03 by Taernath]

StrayRogue
08-26-2003, 01:04 PM
It works, but is sometimes not worth the added risk of getting splatted. Worth it if you train in Brawling, IMHO.

AnticorRifling
08-26-2003, 02:38 PM
I open hand cast 415 alot but mostly because after I put away my skinning knife I don't reach for my falchion if there is a shaman in the room. I don't notice a big difference from crits or damage. I'm a wizard though so OHC might not be an issue for that profession.

Artha
08-27-2003, 01:01 AM
double open-hand 302 is wonderful for low-level clerics. You can do 30+ damage on a 101 end-roll.

Cheef
08-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Why would you double open hand cast? Is it worth the risk of not having a shield out?

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Double open handed casting greatly increases damage and chance to crit the target. However, as mentioned, you pay for this destructive power with your DS.

Artha
08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
It's just about as easy as stance dancing.

Wait for them to swing, stow the shield, cast, get the shield, stance to guarded.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Try risking it at high level. The reason I survive stance dancing with critters is simply because of nice armor, and redux to absorb the blows.

Artha
08-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'll admit it's not possible for higher level characters...but, it's really nice early on.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:59 PM
*nod* Definately a little helping hand so to speak. Brawling training is still a viable route, possibly even come GS4 with the TP reductions.