PDA

View Full Version : Final plans for an ambushing overkill ranger

Celexei
08-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Rerolled my bardess into a sylvan ranger the other day....<3 her SOOOO much, but as of now she's currently set up for just hardcore scripting. I'm looking for a good plan stats and skills. My base idea, i wanna at least have doubled 2hw, 1x cman, 1x spells and the other ranger needed things, dodging, hiding, ambushing all that. I'm not to sure what i can do with the TP's that that'll give me, but i would imagine that that can fit in. If anyone could help me out here i'd be very very much appreciatted. Thanx in advance and shtuff

Drew
08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Well, my main guy is a two handed ranger, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on these boards who plays one with an regularilty.

As a 2 hander here's the basic skills you want to pick up

1x armor
2x 2 handers
1x CM
1x ambush
1x physical fitness
1x dodging
2x hiding
1x perception
1x harness power
1x spells

Unfortunately, that plan takes up just about every TP you are going to generate, more than you will if you roll for growth and not for TPs.

You can drop your level 0 HP and spell and that will probably get you enough points to pull this off, but it still leaves you with no climbing and swimming, no survival or first aid (if you want these), no mana share (I wouldn't plan on getting any for a long time anyway), and no other magic skills.

Personally I would want to get 1.5x perception because two handers are harder to aim to begin with.

The way I got around the early level points pinch was to 1.5x in hiding, I'll have my guy fully 2xed by 35, and it didn't give me any problems.

Other than that I can't comment too much on the effectiveness of this plan because I'm overtrained in spells, ambush, armour and perception (along with skinning skills) and undertrained in CM and dodge.

Here were my level 0 stats:

Strength (STR): 85
Constitution (CON): 60
Dexterity (DEX): 93
Agility (AGI): 91
Discipline (DIS): 52
Aura (AUR): 40
Logic (LOG): 66
Intuition (INT): 95
Wisdom (WIS): 58
Influence (INF): 20

He's a human, which I wouldn't do for a two handed ambusher if I had the choice again, I'd probably go half-elf.

Those stats were rolled for a bunch of TPs early and maximum dodginess since I planned to under train in dodge, they are by no means long term stats. The middle stats (logic, disc, widsom) were rolled with human ranger GI's in mind, I'd switch them around for a different race. Also he's in voln, so that gives me the luxury of shafting the aura stat, if your girl is in CoL you'll have to switch that.

Anyway, being a two handed ranger is tons of fun, I could never go back to being a plain old ohe/shielder, way too boring. It has it's downsides, but you won't see yourself coming and going as you hunt (I can't say I've ever ran into a two handed ranger in the field, although I meet tons of OHE, TWC and archers out there) and you have major uphunting potential that I think even a 2 handed-rogue would be hard pressed to match (I could solo frost giants at 23, and I've taken on a great ice giant 1 on 1 and won, that's not a viable hunting option but it can be done. Roa'ters are a joke, as long as you stay away from the other critters they hang with). I don't think I know of any other two handed class (be it rogue, warrior, wizard, bard, or cleric) that can uphunt nearly 20 levels with such ease. All in all, it's a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy it.

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Drew]

Celexei
08-09-2004, 10:38 PM
thanx Drew, is there anyway i can fit in a good amount of survival in there...its fairly cheap for a ranger as i'm sure you know, and i'd like to be able to skin and forage quite well if possible. The plan looks pretty solid, but if anyone else has similar plans or other changes i'm still open for looking. Thanx

Chadj
08-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Archer rangers = Better.

Celexei
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Chadj
Archer rangers = Better.

Originally posted by Drew

Anyway, being a two handed ranger is tons of fun, I could never go back to being a plain old ohe/shielder, way too boring. It has it's downsides, but you won't see yourself coming and going as you hunt (I can't say I've ever ran into a two handed ranger in the field, although I meet tons of OHE, TWC and archers out there) and you have major uphunting potential that I think even a 2 handed-rogue would be hard pressed to match (I could solo frost giants at 23, and I've taken on a great ice giant 1 on 1 and won, that's not a viable hunting option but it can be done. Roa'ters are a joke, as long as you stay away from the other critters they hang with). I don't think I know of any other two handed class (be it rogue, warrior, wizard, bard, or cleric) that can uphunt nearly 20 levels with such ease. All in all, it's a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy it.

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Drew]

everyone and there mom is a ranged ranger, i've considered it but i've yet to play an ambusher of any sort, and my rogues an elite archer anyway. Anywho i'm trying for something a bit different than the norm. Bardess was an archer, Cel's a swinger, got a warpath..and a few others that are unconventional, i don't like workin with the normal crowd to much it just bores me.

Drew
08-10-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Celexei
thanx Drew, is there anyway i can fit in a good amount of survival in there...its fairly cheap for a ranger as i'm sure you know, and i'd like to be able to skin and forage quite well if possible.

Depending on your stats you may have just enough points to do that if you only train in what I listed above and 1x survival. If not, I would drop a bit of hiding here and there. Being 1.8x in hiding at 20 won't adversely affect you and once you drop your armour training you'll have plenty of points to pick up the few ranks you dropped.

Remember, the key to good skinning is 90% form. Kneel down and use a knife or dagger. If it's a valuable skin cast 604 before you skin. One cast of that usually gives me 150-250 coins extra per skin, and that's on not very expensive skins. If I can get two skins in on one cast I basically just spent 4 mana for 500 coins, very worth it.

Celexei
08-10-2004, 08:59 PM
not bad at all, on the armor training, you drop after brig? do you get any 'dux with that, i would imagine armor stats pretty important for ranger dux but i could be wrong.