PDA

View Full Version : A Thread for Pretty Words

Latrinsorm
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of world history - yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

Nietzsche c/o Kaufmann

Tisket
03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Don't you mean "mellifluous"?

Archigeek
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't think those words are very pretty.

Latrinsorm
03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Don't you mean "mellifluous"?That is a pretty word, thank you for your contribution.
I don't think those words are very pretty.Your envious, frustrated tears are unpretty.

Delias
03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
VII.
As lines, so love's oblique, may well
Themselves in every angle greet :
But ours, so truly parallel,
Though infinite, can never meet.

VIII.
Therefore the love which us doth bind,
But Fate so enviously debars,
Is the conjunction of the mind,
And opposition of the stars.

-Andrew Marvell, from the "definition of love"

subzero
03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
I think 'bunghole' is a pretty cool word.

Archigeek
03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.” -Norman Maclean

msconstrew
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels' hierarchies?
and even if one of them pressed me suddenly against his heart:
I would be consumed in that overwhelming existence.
For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
Every angel is terrible.
And so I hold myself back and swallow the call-note of my dark sobbing.

- Ranier Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies, 1st Elegy

Archigeek
03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to msconstrew again.

Them are some pretty words.

FlayedAngel
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
Every angel is terrible.

- Ranier Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies, 1st Elegy

Love this.

GS4-Seomanthe
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Two unrelated favorites...

If I haven’t begun thrice to write and as often thrown away my pen, may I never take it up again; my head and my heart have been at cuffs about you two long hours, — says my head, you’re a coxcomb for troubling your noddle with a lady whose beauty is as much above your pretensions as your merit is below her love.

Then answers my heart, — Good Mr Head, you’re a blockhead. I know Mr. F–r’s merit better than you; as for your part, I know you to be as whimsical as the devil, and changing with every new notion that offers, but for my share I am fixt, and can stick to my opinion of a lady’s mertit for ever, and if the fair she can secure an interest in me, Monsieur Head, you may go whistle.

Come, come, (answers my head) you, Mr Heart are always leading the gentleman into some inconvenience or other; was it not you that first enticed him to talk to this lady? Your damn’d confounded warmth made him write to her; your leaping and skipping disturbs his sleep by night and his good humour by day; in short sir, I will hear no more on’t; I am head, and will be obeyed.

You lie , sir, replied my heart (being very angry), I am head in matters of love, and if you don’t give your consent, you shall be forced, for I am sure that in this case all the members will be on my side. What say you, Gentlemen Hands!

Oh (say the hands), we would not forego the tickling pleasure of touching a delicious white soft skin for the world.

Well, what say you, Mr Tongue?

Zounds, says the linguist, there is more extasy in speaking three soft words of Mr Heart’s suggesting than whole orations of Signior Head’s so I am for the lady, and here’s my honest neighbor, Lips, will stick to’t.

By the sweet power of kisses, that we will, (replied the lips) and presently some other worthy members standing up for the Heart, they laid violent hands (nemine contradicente) on poor Head, and knocked out his brains. So now, madam, behold me, as perfect a lover as any in Christendom, my heart firmly dictating every word I say. The little rebel throws itself into your pwoer, and if you don’t support it in the cause it has taken up for your sake, think what will be the condition of the headless and heartless.
-George Farquhar

================================================
"Your name?" Jack said to the Yeoman Warder.
"Clooney! And whatever it is you want--"
"Why, Yeoman Clooney, you make it sound as if i am some sort of nefarious villain. All I want is for you to be my boon companion these next several minutes, and to survive the night in good health."
"I should not love you be your companion for any length of time."
"Then I shall remind you that I am, in truth, a nefarious villain. You may follow me on your own two feet, or I shall have Russolnik put a leash around your neck and drag you up the stairs on your beef-stuffed belly."
- Neal Stephenson, The System of the World

FlayedAngel
03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of world history - yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

I feel like this could alternately be the opening to Nietzsche meets the Little Prince.

Also: marvelous idea for a thread. :D

DCSL
03-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Life was not a valuable gift, but death was. Life was a fever-dream made up of joys embittered by sorrows, pleasure poisoned by pain; a dream that was a nightmare-confusion of spasmodic and fleeting delights, ecstasies, exultations, happinesses, interspersed with long-drawn miseries, griefs, perils, horrors, disappointments, defeats,humiliations, and despairs--the heaviest curse devisable by divine ingenuity; but death was sweet, death was gentle, death was kind; death healed the bruised spirit and the broken heart, and gave them rest and forgetfulness; death was man's best friend; when man could endure life no longer, death came and set him free.

- Mark Twain

Those who consider the Devil to be a partisan of Evil and angels to be warriors for Good accept the demagogy of the angels. Things are clearly more complicated.

- Milan Kundera

Valthissa
03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Flayed Angel mentioned the Little Prince which was also what was on my mind after some of the posts in this thread.

the fox's secret (http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/framechapter21.html)

My Aunt says there are two kinds of people in the world, those that know the fox's secret and those that should learn.

C

Asha
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

Josibria
03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
For God's sake hold your tongue, and let me love;
Or chide my palsy, or my gout;
My five gray hairs, or ruin'd fortune flout;
With wealth your state, your mind with arts improve;
Take you a course, get you a place,
Observe his Honour, or his Grace;
Or the king's real, or his stamp'd face
Contemplate; what you will, approve,
So you will let me love.

Alas ! alas ! who's injured by my love?
What merchant's ships have my sighs drown'd?
Who says my tears have overflow'd his ground?
When did my colds a forward spring remove?
When did the heats which my veins fill
Add one more to the plaguy bill?
Soldiers find wars, and lawyers find out still
Litigious men, which quarrels move,
Though she and I do love.

Call's what you will, we are made such by love;
Call her one, me another fly,
We're tapers too, and at our own cost die,
And we in us find th' eagle and the dove.
The phoenix riddle hath more wit
By us; we two being one, are it;
So, to one neutral thing both sexes fit.
We die and rise the same, and prove
Mysterious by this love.

We can die by it, if not live by love,
And if unfit for tomb or hearse
Our legend be, it will be fit for verse;
And if no piece of chronicle we prove,
We'll build in sonnets pretty rooms;
As well a well-wrought urn becomes
The greatest ashes, as half-acre tombs,
And by these hymns, all shall approve
Us canonized for love;

And thus invoke us, "You, whom reverend love
Made one another's hermitage;
You, to whom love was peace, that now is rage;
Who did the whole world's soul contract, and drove
Into the glasses of your eyes;
So made such mirrors, and such spies,
That they did all to you epitomize—
Countries, towns, courts beg from above
A pattern of your love."

-The Canonization by John Donne

A personal favorite of mine.

subzero
03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
I am disappoint. I thought this thread was for cool words, not poetry. Words like Titicaca. Who doesn't like shitty titties and chilli dogs?!

Delias
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
I am disappoint. I thought this thread was for cool words, not poetry. Words like Titicaca. Who doesn't like shitty titties and chilli dogs?!

Apparently you believe cool and pretty to be synonymous. Apparently, you are a moron.

subzero
03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Apparently you believe cool and pretty to be synonymous. Apparently, you are a moron.

'Pretty' is a horrible adjective to use in conjunction with 'words'. I don't believe in 'pretty words', so I found another way to describe them. If you're not down with that, I've got two wooords for ya!

Delias
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
'Pretty' is a horrible adjective to use in conjunction with 'words'. I don't believe in 'pretty words', so I found another way to describe them. If you're not down with that, I've got two wooords for ya!

Whether or not you believe in words being pretty is entirely subjective and not relevant to the title of this thread. You don't get to play risk on the monopoly board just because you don't like the risk board.

Androidpk
03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
You must be steel! You must be doom! We march to face down chaos and banish it. We are the sons of the Emperor.
The champions of mankind. We march for Macragge and we shall know no fear!

Whirlin
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Schmetterling

AnticorRifling
03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Wankel rotary engine.

4a6c1
03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I suck at English so I'm posting pretty foreign words. I like Авадон, it sounds like goodbye don in French. Biblical Abaddon.

AnticorRifling
03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
I need to introduce you to our buddy Drew. He enjoys saying random shit in Russian because he took a class in it too.

TheEschaton
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Drew speaking Russian in that Kentucky drawl sounds pretty fucking hilarious.

Amber
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Pretty words don't mean much anymore.
I don't mean to be mean much anymore.
All I see are snapshots, big shots, tender spots
mug shots, machine slots.
Till you don't know what's what
You don't know what you got.
~Elvis Costello

Methais
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Them are some pretty words.

Especially this part:

And so I hold myself back and swallow

I think [I]bunghole[I] is a pretty cool word.

Bunghole is a salubrious word.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dwMTcRMRKIw/UCwfUJbrv8I/AAAAAAAAHtk/odm5HDySwBg/s1600/DX.jpg

Methais
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Roses are red
Violets are blue
In Soviet Russia
Poem writes you!

NinjasLeadTheWay
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
I have a knife.
Get in the van.

Some Rogue
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
And words, you know the seven don't you? Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war

Methais
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
And words, you know the seven don't you? Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war

According to Eddie Murphy it's motherfucker dick pussy snot and shit. Good night!

Good night suck my dick bye bye!

http://www.filmmisery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/eddiemurphy1.jpg

Delias
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
According to Eddie Murphy it's motherfucker dick pussy snot and shit. Good night!

Good night suck my dick bye bye!

Eddie Murphy = Irrelevant. George Carlin = Relevant until the universe ceases to be.

Methais
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Eddie Murphy was relevant at the time when much like Adam Sandler whom in his respective time, used to be funny.

Delias
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Eddie Murphy was relevant at the time when much like Adam Sandler whom in his respective time, used to be funny.

Agreed. People who also need to stop trying include jim carrey and ben stiller.

TheEschaton
03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Those two aren't comedians, they're more like court jesters. But even jesters have their place. I love Jim Carrey. Sexually.

Delias
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Those two aren't comedians, they're more like court jesters. But even jesters have their place. I love Jim Carrey. Sexually.

Comedic actors- or at least they try so very, very hard.

Beguiler
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
...Here is Belladonna, The Lady of the Rocks, The lady of situations.
Here is the man with three staves, and here the Wheel,
And here is the one-eyed merchant, and this card,
Which is blank, is something he carries on his back,
Which I am forbidden to see. I do not find
The Hanged Man. Fear death by water...

... T.S. Eliot "The Waste Land" Love this poem, but it's pages long so I just put in the part that haunts me...

TheEschaton
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

subzero
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Whether or not you believe in words being pretty is entirely subjective and not relevant to the title of this thread. You don't get to play risk on the monopoly board just because you don't like the risk board.

I'd like to see Uncle Pennybags stop me.

Latrinsorm
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Every second passed is a heartbeat gone and tucked behind the glass.
You can't get it back, it will never last.
Don't worry, little worrier.
Don't hurry the hurt, let the moment burn.
And just take your time, this is your life,
please don't let your tears run dry.

-Kina Grannis
Every angel is terrible.

- Ranier Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies, 1st ElegyI swear someone here has that as their sig or something. The author is mentioned by Kaufmann, I just need to finish Nemerov and Goethe first, that shouldn't be too hard right?
Also: marvelous idea for a thread.Thanks! I have enjoyed everyone's contributions a great deal.
Whether or not you believe in words being pretty is entirely subjective and not relevant to the title of this thread. You don't get to play risk on the monopoly board just because you don't like the risk board.South America is fun to visit but you wouldn't want to live there, China sends people to jail and has a huge advantage in hydroelectric technology, Canada is polite and offers free parking... it all makes sense!!!
... T.S. Eliot "The Waste Land" Love this poem, but it's pages long so I just put in the part that haunts me...I also swear someone had the "I will show you fear in a handful of dust" line from that as their sig here or on the officials.

msconstrew
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I swear someone here has that as their sig or something. The author is mentioned by Kaufmann, I just need to finish Nemerov and Goethe first, that shouldn't be too hard right?

I had it as my sig for a while. That line really resonates with me. And, you know, you really should read it in the original German!

thefarmer
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Nah, Walk up to the club like, "What up, I got a big cock!"
I'm so pumped about some shit from the thrift shop
Ice on the fringe, it's so damn frosty
That people like, "Damn! That's a cold ass honkey."
Rollin' in, hella deep, headin' to the mezzanine,
Dressed in all pink, 'cept my gator shoes, those are green
Draped in a leopard mink, girls standin' next to me
Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R. Kelly's sheets
(Piiisssssss)
But shit, it was ninety-nine cents! (Bag it)
Coppin' it, washin' it, 'bout to go and get some compliments
Passin' up on those moccasins someone else's been walkin' in
But me and grungy fuckin it man
I am stuntin' and flossin' and
Savin' my money and I'm hella happy that's a bargain, bitch
I'ma take your grandpa's style, I'ma take your grandpa's style,
No for real - ask your grandpa - can I have his hand-me-downs? (Thank you)
Velour jumpsuit and some house slippers
Dookie brown leather jacket that I found diggin'
They had a broken keyboard, I bought a broken keyboard
I bought a skeet blanket, then I bought a kneeboard
Hello, hello, my ace man, my Mello
John Wayne ain't got nothing on my fringe game, hell no
I could take some Pro Wings, make them cool, sell those
The sneaker heads would be like "Aw, he got the Velcros"

m444w
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Before I came up in the game these hoes didn't show no love
They see me in the club and used to treat me like a scrub
They wouldn't holla 'cause my dollars wasn't swell enough
I bet they change they mind when them 80 4's come rolling up
They see that I'm a star, now they wanna sit in my car
Now they wanna count my G's, smoke my weed and sip my bar now
They used to love to me diss me, now they rush to hug and kiss me now
They telling all they friends when I leave how they miss me now
2 8 1, 3 3 0, eight zero zero 4
Hit Mike Jones up on the low 'cause Mike Jones about to blow

Stanley Burrell
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Final Boss Battle:
Ghost of English Language...
S.B. = lose

Warriorbird
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

Warriorbird
03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth.

2 O Lord, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O Lord, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.

3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.

4 And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.

5 Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet.

6 He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

7 I saw the tents of Cushan in affliction: and the curtains of the land of Midian did tremble.

8 Was the Lord displeased against the rivers? was thine anger against the rivers? was thy wrath against the sea, that thou didst ride upon thine horses and thy chariots of salvation?

9 Thy bow was made quite naked, according to the oaths of the tribes, even thy word. Selah. Thou didst cleave the earth with rivers.

10 The mountains saw thee, and they trembled: the overflowing of the water passed by: the deep uttered his voice, and lifted up his hands on high.

11 The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

12 Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.

13 Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

14 Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.

15 Thou didst walk through the sea with thine horses, through the heap of great waters.

16 When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.

17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

18 Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

19 The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

DCSL
03-22-2013, 10:13 PM
This living hand, now warm and capable
Of earnest grasping, would, if it were cold
And in the icy silence of the tomb,
So haunt thy days and chill thy dreaming nights
That thou would wish thine own heart dry of blood
So in my veins red life might stream again,
And thou be conscience-calm’d–see here it is–
I hold it towards you.

- Keats

Gompers
03-22-2013, 11:11 PM
This living hand, now warm and capable
Of earnest grasping, would, if it were cold
And in the icy silence of the tomb,
So haunt thy days and chill thy dreaming nights
That thou would wish thine own heart dry of blood
So in my veins red life might stream again,
And thou be conscience-calm’d–see here it is–
I hold it towards you.

- Keats

Garrison Keillor totally just read that to me just now. Thanks for sharing.

Methais
03-22-2013, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-G8w02ZX1c

Latrinsorm
03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Then we died in the valley, died in the swamp,
on the banks of the river where the whitetail jumped.
Died in the ditches, died in the fields,
in the belly of the wagons where our wounds were healed.
Died in the wards, starved in the camps,
locked in the prisons so mean and rank.
Spilled our blood in the fight to defend,
and they buried us all over Dixieland!

Down in Alabama, down in Caroline,
way down in Georgie on the Tennessee line.
We fought for the rebels of Robert E. Lee,
now we wanna go home to Virginia,
said we wanna go home to Virginia,

Won't you carry me back? Won't you carry me back?
Carry me back to Virginia.
Won't you carry me back? Won't you carry me back?
I wanna be buried in Virginia.

-Old Crow Medicine Show

Stretch out my life, and pick the seams out,
take what you like, but close my ears and eyes,
a-watch me stumble over and over.

I had done wrong, you build your tower,
but call me home, and I will build a throne,
and wash my eyes out never again.

But love the one you hold, and I'll be your goal,
to have and to hold, a lover of the light.

-Mumford & Sons & Idris Elba

4a6c1
03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I did this thread wrong at first. Let me fix my mistake.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion;respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

- Tecumseh

:)

MotleyCrew
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
"They don’t know about real loss, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself.”
~Robin Williams as Sean Maguire

Latrinsorm
03-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Long days have made us numb
I don't know where you're coming from
I can't look you in the eye
I am just a passerby

What if I knew your name?
What if we had the same home room?
What if the things that tie us are stronger than we knew?
What if we'd shared a pint?
What if we cheered the same team?
What if these moments between us mean more than we could dream?
Would I have grace for you and you for me?

I am just a passerby

-Allie Moss (Passerby)

Methais
03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Roses are gay
Violets are gayer
Fuck this poem
And listen to Slayer

Back
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
To be consummated within the Teknophage is to live forever... in me. NOW come. Give up your resistance...

Latrinsorm
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Oh-oh
Oh-oo-oh-oh
Oh-oo-oh-oh
Oh-oh

Well, that is it guys, that is all,
five minutes in and I'm born again,
ten years of this, I'm not sure if any
body understands...
This one is not for the folks at home;
sorry to leave, mom, I had to go,
who the fuck wants to die alone
all dried up in the desert sun?

Fun. - Some Nights

msconstrew
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
The sun is spent, and now his flasks
Send forth light squibs, no constant rays;
The world’s whole sap is sunk;
The general balm th’ hydroptic earth hath drunk,
Whither, as to the bed’s-feet, life is shrunk,
Dead and interr’d; yet all these seem to laugh,
Compared with me, who am their epitaph.

A Nocturnal upon St. Lucy's Day, John Donne

Methais
04-14-2013, 09:34 PM
http://i.qkme.me/4e36.jpg

Latrinsorm
04-14-2013, 10:36 PM
The sun is spent, and now his flasks
Send forth light squibs, no constant rays;
The world’s whole sap is sunk;
The general balm th’ hydroptic earth hath drunk,
Whither, as to the bed’s-feet, life is shrunk,
Dead and interr’d; yet all these seem to laugh,
Compared with me, who am their epitaph.

A Nocturnal upon St. Lucy's Day, John DonnePretty. :) Shame he ended up a cannibal.
a god damned picture:offtopic:

diethx
04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OgG9BW9TQE

subzero
04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
:offtopic:

But the picture contained words. And if a picture is worth a thousand words, there is much more pretty word potential in that little picture than any post in this thread so far!

Tsk Tsk
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't have a poem, all I have is periwinkle.

Gelston
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't have a poem, all I have is periwinkle.

You rub your periwinkle silk shirt.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Numbers aren't words, you faux-Spinozist!!! And with that settled, here is my contribution to this thread for now:

Country roads
take me home
to the place
where I belong
West Virginia
mountain mama
take me home
country roads

take me home
country roads

take me home
down country roads.

Gelston
04-14-2013, 11:27 PM
West Virginia is not pretty words, there buddy.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
I will gut you like a bronze eagle being gutted by a proud Indo-Germanic bear that is in turn gutted by syphilis and horribly maintained eyebrows, how did those people even live with themselves.

subzero
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Numbers aren't words, you faux-Spinozist!!!

It's quite easy to prove that numbers are indeed words. See, words are composed of letters. Observe the composition of the following 'numbers': one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. As you can see, those are indeed words as they are composed of letters, therefore your concept of numbers is a fallacy.

Tisket
04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Suspect each moment, for it is a thief, tiptoeing away with more than it brings. A Month of Sundays

Latrinsorm
04-19-2013, 11:30 PM
I know a father who had a son
He longed to tell him all the reasons for the things he'd done
He came a long way just to explain
He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping then he turned around and headed home again

Paul Simon

thefarmer
04-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Anything by Keats.

This is just the first thing I came across.

The First Stanza Of "Endymion"

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

Latrinsorm
04-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Some bearded shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits.

fixed

thefarmer
04-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Hahahahahaha

Latrinsorm
04-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Don't you know there ain't no devil? There's just God when he's drunk...
-Tom Waits

Tsk Tsk
04-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Latvian man hear knock at door.

“Who is it?” ask man.

“Is Potato Man. Am delivering free potatoes door-to-door” say voice.

Man rejoice.

“Oh! Such a blessing! This must be wonderful dream!”

Latvian open door, man say “just kidding. Is Secret Police.”

Gelston
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Three Latvian are brag about sons. “My son is soldier. He have rape as many women as want,” say first Latvian. “Zo?” second say, “My son is farmer. He have all potato he want!” Third Latvian wait long time, then say, “My son is die at birth. For him, struggle is over.” “Wow! You are win us,” say others. But all are feel sad.

Methais
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM
What the fuck?

Gelston
04-23-2013, 10:39 PM
What the fuck?

Two Latvian look at clouds. Whole sky is clouds. Weather is bad. Latvian are cold.

Methais
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/244/a/0/notre_dame_football_coach_head_exploding_by_wretch edvoid-d5d5jox.gif

Tsk Tsk
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Two Latvian look at clouds. Whole sky is clouds. Weather is bad. Latvian are cold.

One day, man is hungry, he go out to eat rock because malnourish. Man look up, see shooting star. Latvian man is exite, wish for raining potatoes, but nothing happen. Next day at town, Latvian go out and see potatoes! Falling from sky! He get all town and all gather in town center, holding hands from happiness.

Are not potatoes, are hailstorm, all hallucinate because malnourish, all die of hail to head.

iJin
04-23-2013, 10:49 PM
If the sky falls tomorrow, have clouds for breakfast.

diethx
04-23-2013, 11:01 PM
What the FABULOUS fuck?

ftfy

I think I love this thread, now.

Tisket
04-24-2013, 02:55 AM
One day, man is hungry, he go out to eat rock because malnourish. Man look up, see shooting star. Latvian man is exite, wish for raining potatoes, but nothing happen. Next day at town, Latvian go out and see potatoes! Falling from sky! He get all town and all gather in town center, holding hands from happiness.

Are not potatoes, are hailstorm, all hallucinate because malnourish, all die of hail to head.

Hearty laughter followed swiftly by guilt over said laughter. I salute you.

Latrinsorm
04-26-2013, 07:08 PM
And rain will make the flowers...
Eponine
...grow.
Marius

And if the night runs over, and if the day won't last, and if your way should falter along that stony pass; it's just a moment, this time will pass.
-U2

Latrinsorm
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm in love with your honor,
I'm in love with your cheeks.
What's that noise up the stairs, babe?
Is that Christmas morning creaks?
I said I...
...know it well. Oh...
I...
know it well.

-Bon Iver

msconstrew
04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

This is just to say, William Carlos Williams

Delias
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Tattoo discussions in other thread (plus partying with my artist last night) has made me post this.

stick the skin
where the art won't fade
my dreams and nightmares on parade
I desecrate domesticated flesh
a harlots paint or a warriors paint
or any ink beneath the skin
each one as beautiful as all my sins
described and documented
in technicolor or old blue-black
up my arms, across my back
each image buried layers down
the reaper or the clown
shines out from underneath
and all can see my story at a glance
the cost is just an ounce or two of pain
and then it fades
and only ink remains.

JustDan
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife*
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.*

- Dale Wimbrow

Methais
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Beans beans the magical fruit...

msconstrew
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
DAAAAAAN!!! <3 <3 <3

I will PM you!

Androidpk
04-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

This is just to say, William Carlos Williams

That is something I would totally do :)

Latrinsorm
04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Don't pay heed to temptation, Andy, for his hands are so cold. You've got to help me keep the devil way down in the hole.

(The hammer is his penis.)
(The hole is... you get the idea.)

Androidpk
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Temptation is my middle name.

Delias
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Temptation is my middle name.

Black Temptation Mamba?

Androidpk
04-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Say that backwards 3 times and Kool Aid man crashes through your wall.

Delias
04-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Say that backwards 3 times and Kool Aid man crashes through your wall.

I do look fabulous in red, don't I?

Androidpk
04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah!

Tisket
04-28-2013, 01:11 AM
"He'd flown so many missions," Nancy said, "the odds were against him."
"I know."
"He expected it," Nancy said. "Accepted it, even. They have to, all those boys do. I sound sanguine, I know," she continued quietly, "but my heart is split in two. I loved him so much. Love him so much. I don't know why I use the past tense. It's not as if love dies with the beloved. I love him more now because I feel so damn sorry for him. He'll never marry, never have children, never have the wonderful life that was his birthright. Not all this," she said, waving a hand around to indicate Fox Corner, the middle class, England in general, "but because he was such a good man. Sound and true, like a great bell, I think." She laughed. "Silly, I know. I know you're the one that understands. And I can't cry, I don't even want to cry. My tears would never do justice to this loss."

excerpt from Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Absolutely great fucking book. It might sound like some kind of romance novel from the above excerpt but it is most emphatically not.

Latrinsorm
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Band of gold with a diamond implied
you wrote letters that you never sent
I made promises I'll always deny
now we'll never know what the other meant

Watch is ticking like a heartbeat gone berserk
lost the chance to wind the key
Roosters are nothing but clucking clockwork
our fears are only what we tell them to be

-Norah Jones and Mike Martin (I have no idea who he is either)

There was another who came before you
he was a hero and your brother and my son
He fought the darkness, the darkness won

He fought bravely, and he died bravely,
but he was forsaken by the ones he wished to save
and when he died he died in vain

You need to know
you are not him

You will stay here, you will obey me
and I will keep grieving for the son I sent to death
You are all I have left

You need to know
you are not him
his fight's not yours
you can not win

-The Protomen

Latrinsorm
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Father McKenzie, writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear: no one comes near.
Look at him working, darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there: what does he care?

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name: nobody came.
Father McKenzie, wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave: no one was saved.

-the Beatles, Eleanor Rigby

If Heaven and Hell decide that they both are satisfied,
illuminate the nos on their vacancy signs...
if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks,
then I will follow you into the dark.

-Death Cab for Cutie, I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Latrinsorm
05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Do you hear the people sing? lost in the valley of the night
it is the music of a people who are climbing to the light.

For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies:
even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom in the garden of the Lord,
they will walk behind the plowshare, they will put away the sword,
the chain will be broken and all men will have their reward.

Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring when tomorrow comes.

Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring when tomorrow comes.
Oh, tomorrow comes.

-Lés Misérablés

Latrinsorm
05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
This is a very neurotic person, the ship realized.

-Phillip Dick

diethx
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I need to get shitfaced.

-diethx

Latrinsorm
05-25-2013, 08:45 PM
There was a liquor store right down the street!

diethx
05-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Oh, I have a whole bottle of vodka in my freezer. I'm thinking about it.

Latrinsorm
05-25-2013, 08:48 PM
And no spirit eagles to pry into your personal life! It's win-win-win!

Just, you know... pace yourself. :heart:

diethx
05-25-2013, 09:02 PM
I feel like I'm missing some reference here...

Latrinsorm
05-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Because that person figured out something about what you thought that other person. Remember? And then something endearing about Minnesota upbrangings.

diethx
05-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Oh. Fuck, yeah. :/

Androidpk
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
It is the 41st Millenium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile
on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and
master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass
writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the
Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Might battlefleets
cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their
way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies
give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus
Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super warriors. Their comrades in arms are
legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant
Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But
for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens,
heretics, mutants and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest
and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power
of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget
the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There
is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter
of thirsting gods.

4a6c1
05-25-2013, 10:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SmT0TKl.jpg

Back
05-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,

`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;

But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,

And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,

That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door; -

Darkness there, and nothing more.

Mr. Poe has the little known distinction of having crafted the most beautiful phrase in the English language...cellar door.

4a6c1
05-25-2013, 11:42 PM
I never understood that. Why cellar door?

Back
05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
I never understood that. Why cellar door?

The r's are silent. Say it with a soft and easy English accent. Cellah doe.

4a6c1
05-26-2013, 01:36 AM
I tried quite a few times to pronounce your example phonetically but it kept sounding Antebellum South. Crap, my british is broken. And I still don't understand why it's the most beautiful word. I think Mr. Poe was probably just a weirdo with secrets in the cellar.

Back
05-26-2013, 01:46 AM
I tried quite a few times to pronounce your example phonetically but it kept sounding Antebellum South. Crap, my british is broken. And I still don't understand why it's the most beautiful word. I think Mr. Poe was probably just a weirdo with secrets in the cellar.

Yes, I do believe he was a morphine addict. If thats what you mean about "secrets in the cellar"?

Stanley Burrell
05-26-2013, 01:53 AM
My name is...
Shake Zula!
The mic rula!
The old schoolah!
You wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya.

Frylock and I'm on top, rock you like a cop,
Meatwad you up next with your knock knock,

Meatwad get the money, see?
Meatwad get the honeys G,
Driving in my car,
Living like a star,
Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus.

4a6c1
05-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Yes, I do believe he was a morphine addict. If thats what you mean about "secrets in the cellar"?

Dude, I don't know. It seems like one of those topics that would be fun to write about and discover unique things about that era along the way. For instance, how common were cellars where Mr. Poe lived? What were the cellars used for? What idioms of the time were in usage that involved the phrase Cellar Door? I'm sure I could dig up a dozen essays to more eloquently explain these variables. I'm feeling lazy right now so I'll leave it for another time but hopefully you get my drift. I'm just curious about the method of the artist to be honest.

Latrinsorm
05-31-2013, 06:33 PM
No I don't mean that it's so easy,
I don't mean that it's so small,
but world below is not so mean
that it can make us fall.

We are standing on the rooftops
we are circling like sparrows
we are tiny, we are trembling
scared of everything
...but the heart is still a redwing.

-Hem

Latrinsorm
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't really know what I'm doing,
just watching myself in some play,
and the actress looks like she wants to go home
and lie in a bed all day.
Yeah, lie in a big bed all day.

Her hands won't work the machinery,
'cuz her brain tells 'em what to say.
It's a hell of a life, but it was somebody's life:
up and down the street all day.

-Patty Griffin

Latrinsorm
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
It’s a strange thing to die in the darkness, it’s strange thing to die. You are always there waiting for yourself to arrive.

X-Men

Latrinsorm
06-07-2013, 09:01 PM
alternate ending: everything is dust in a silent frozen universe

ryan north

Latrinsorm
06-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Ghost Teddy Roosevelt cocked his shotgun.

Ryan North

Latrinsorm
06-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Repeat, but worth it:

You can take everything I am
You can break everything I have
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper

Toby Gad, Lindy Robbins and Kerli Kõiv

diethx
06-28-2013, 07:35 PM
What is that from?

Latrinsorm
06-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Kina Grannis' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLMFBXq6BAE) performance of Demi Lovato's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg) song Skyscraper. I prefer the former.

Latrinsorm
07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Oh, let's get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of France,
let's get rich and give everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance
let's get rich and build a house on a mountain making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and I, you and I
-Ingrid Michaelson, "You and I"

Back
07-10-2013, 01:50 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOssGIaCMAINULb.png (http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/texas-pro-choice-activist-writes-a-poem-called-if-my-vagina)

Delias
07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOssGIaCMAINULb.png (http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/texas-pro-choice-activist-writes-a-poem-called-if-my-vagina)

Not to diminish her vaginal struggles, but this is one of the most retarded things I have ever read... and I have read things written by legitimate retards.

I think she should rewrite it in a catchier gangsta rap style, something like "My pussy pops caps". That would get some hits on youtube.

Edit: I've been working on a little something in a similar vein. I call it "If my cock were the magna carta".

If my cock were the magna carta
it would guarantee the rights of non-serfs and noblemen
unfortunately for them my cock is not the magna carta
it is a terrifying and tyrannical sovereign.

That's all I've got so far.

Back
07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Not to diminish her vaginal struggles, but this is one of the most retarded things I have ever read... and I have read things written by legitimate retards.

I think she should rewrite it in a catchier gangsta rap style, something like "My pussy pops caps". That would get some hits on youtube.

Edit: I've been working on a little something in a similar vein. I call it "If my cock were the magna carta".

If my cock were the magna carta
it would guarantee the rights of non-serfs and noblemen
unfortunately for them my cock is not the magna carta
it is a terrifying and tyrannical sovereign.

That's all I've got so far.

Technically its not much more than a grade school rhyme. Conceptually though... the message is pretty strong.

Lady Lightning
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Good effort, but writing it on your cock would be much more interesting. And if you can do that, holla!

Delias
07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Good effort, but writing it on your cock would be much more interesting. And if you can do that, holla!

I don't typically allow sharp instruments around my cock, but if you want to give it a try using a soft marker or felt tipped pen, you can, I guess.

Gompers
07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5Rw1qs4.gif

diethx
07-23-2013, 07:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5Rw1qs4.gif

I think I want to steal that. That IS pretty.

Latrinsorm
07-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Up on a mountain our Lord is alone;
without a family, friends, or a home.
He cries, "Ooh, ooh, ooh, will you stay with me?"
He cries, "Oh, oh, oh, will you wait with me?"

Up on a Mountain by [the] Welcome Wagon

Will no one stay awake with me?
Peter? John? James?
Will none of you wait with me?
Peter? John? James?

Jesus Christ Superstar [Peter, the rock on whom Jesus would build his church; John, the apostle Jesus loved; James, the broth- cousin, cousin, definitely cousin. In conclusion: cousin of the Lord.]

I was unafraid
I was a boy
I was a tender age

Michicant by Bon Iver

Latrinsorm
07-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Alan Seeger Op. 1 No. 121

I HAVE a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
When Spring comes back with rustling shade
And apple-blossoms fill the air—
I have a rendezvous with Death 5
When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath—
It may be I shall pass him still. 10
I have a rendezvous with Death
On some scarred slope of battered hill,
When Spring comes round again this year
And the first meadow-flowers appear.

God knows 'twere better to be deep 15
Pillowed in silk and scented down,
Where love throbs out in blissful sleep,
Pulse nigh to pulse, and breath to breath,
Where hushed awakenings are dear...
But I've a rendezvous with Death 20
At midnight in some flaming town,
When Spring trips north again this year,
And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous.

Allegedly JFK (Ret.) liked to hear his wife recite this.

leifastagsweed
07-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Long Nights Lunacy - (http://hellopoetry.com/words/sycophant-/poems/)

Unthinkable, that thought:
staying indoors tonight,
scorning a splendorous sight—

even those now deaf to
starlight’s siren song
still track into the streets
the silver scent of
Earth’s salacious satellite.

Truth-starved specters
shed skins of pseudo-sanity:
we’re lunatic exhibitionists
modeling madness, fools falling victim to
a sparkling sycophant...

tastyd
07-28-2013, 11:53 AM
We are who we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Methais
07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Drive an ice cream truck
Paint it purple and tan
Offer free candy
If they get in the van

Latrinsorm
07-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Long ago I ruled as the king of demons, and made this world scream in cold terror with an iron fist of fear.
-Shade (Secret of Mana)

...'cuz I'll be laughing at all your silly little jokes,
and we'll be laughing about how we used to smoke all those
stupid little cigarettes and drink stupid wine
'cuz it's what we needed to have a good time,

but it was fun, fun, fun... when we were drinking,
it was fun, fun, fun... when we were drunk
and it was fun, fun, fun... when we were laughing,
it was fun, fun, fun... oh it was fun.
-Noah and the Whale (Five Years' Time)

FlayedAngel
07-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Long ago I ruled as the king of demons, and made this world scream in cold terror with an iron fist of fear.
-Shade (Secret of Mana)
Mad props on the Secret of Mana reference!

FlayedAngel
07-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Recoil -- Want. (http://youtu.be/QQrGRR6Su4E)

I want to know how it'll end
I want to be sure of what it'll cost
I want to strangle the stars for all they promised me
I want you to call me on your drug phone
I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of murder later
I want to be there when you learn the cost of desire
I want you to understand that my malevolence is just a way to win
I want the name of the ruiner
I want matches in case I have to suddenly burn
I want you to know that being kind is overrated
I want to write my secret across your sky
I want to watch you lose control
I want to watch you lose
I want to know exactly what it's going to take
I want to see you insert yourself into glory
I want your touches to scar me so I'll know where you've been
I want you to watch when I go down in flames
I want a list of atrocities done in your name
I want to reach my hand into the dark and feel what reaches back
I want to remember when my nightmares were clearer
I want to be there when your hot black rage rips wide open
I want to taste my own kind
I want to be wrapped in cold wet sheets to see if it's different on this side
I want you to come on strong
I want to leave you out in the cold
I want the exact same thing... but different
I want some soft drugs.. some soft, soft drugs
I want to throw you
I want you to know I know
I want to know if you read me
I want to swing with my eyes shut and see what I hit
I want to know just how much you hate me so I can predict what you'll do
I want you to know the wounds are self-inflicted
I want a controlling interest
I want to be somewhere beautiful when I die
I want to be your secret hater
I want to stop destroying you but I can't
And I want and I want and I want
And I will always be hungry
And I want and I want and I want...

Latrinsorm
08-10-2013, 03:34 PM
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive,
everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Sometimes in the morning I am petrified and can't move,
awake but cannot open my eyes,
and the weight is crushing down upon my lungs, I know I can't breathe
and hope someone will save me this time,

and your mother's still calling you insane and high,
swearing it's different this time,
and you tell her to give in to the demons that possess her
that God never blessed her insides,

and you hang up the phone and feel badly for upsetting things,
crawl back into bed to dream of a time
when your heart was open wide and you loved things just because,
like the sick and the dying...

Jenny "Rilo" Lewis - A Better Son/Daughter

leifastagsweed
08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
aspen by simone (http://hellopoetry.com/poem/aspen/)

There is nothing to syphen from my roots
like an aspen tree, i am deciduous and bare
eating my teeth, and I am embarrassed to be a tree
I am just a leaf that always leaves with the breeze
I am just a thief that always purges you clean
alcohol by night and salt by morning

Leaves you deep in the forest
With a burning cigarette at our feet
None of the animals will be able to breathe
and i will burst up in flames
as the pine needles begin to steam
i will ask you your name
with the same eyes as the first time you met me

after the first forest fire breaks free
i will fall to flaming embers
they left in me. when all my love burns out
I will bury the seeds of loathing and doubt
And let a new seedling sprout from the mire
so please rain on me because it's a thirsty thing
to be a guilty liar, to lie there waiting for spring

Felony is effortlessly sweet, like mary my soils will wash your feet
i can hold your hand and i can swear I’m devout but maybe
Not for the things you expect and want me to be
But then again you never
Heard me out
so how were you to know such things

unless you had sunken into me for years
you wouldn't have even seen me unfold
to be what i have come to be
you see none of that
Just drink the sweet sap from my bark
Let me be I’ll let you be
but i don't care really, i am stark
i am learning that silence is
a byzantine art

I will go and be free
i will find time to mend your broken knee
And be on my way within the day
The analgesia will feel like a painful heave
but it crumbles into a catatonic comatose sea
when the shores of nighttime reach me

The love will not feel at all
my branches will be sore but i'm more concerned
with your condition after you fall
into the foaming meelee of chances swarthed beneath
i feel your pulse from down on the ground at my feet
in the knots of my trunk, achy knocking knees,
each frustrated knot tied into the fabric of exorbitance,
freezes my itches to an earsplitting pitch
how much can i be for others when i'm unsure
of what i was supposed to be to begin with
all i know is that i was a sapling once
so long ago i barely remember
see
all i am is me

Gompers
08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HD8j6ID.jpg?1

Latrinsorm
08-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Here Phaëthon lies who in the sun-god's chariot fared. And though greatly he failed, more greatly he dared.

Latrinsorm
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM
The rain falls down on me so hard,
the wind's unraveling me: don't start,
an ocean's swallowing up my heart,
but I've made it this far...

So I'll keep wishing on a bright star
that we'll keep drawing all the right cards
and I'll keep singing when it goes dark
'cuz I've made it this far,
I've made it this far,
I've made it this far.

eta: Kina Grannis - This Far

Warriorbird
09-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Juzoom juzoom bao gan mei
Fou dar Eguiun cum baun grouse in guei
Pao can judge
Cri langomam face aou to clis
briau to rontate for maun trouse
One capentar for rangue caleng zo
New tar cumzu chao melan croe
Forteen brisaid for a compaly cris
trebicanlees a funran magon sis satulan for come tros
Epalen jus
Megaon galan blis and blose sound magao sees
Juzoom juzoom bao gan mei

Delias
09-02-2013, 10:25 PM
...the man is free, we say, who exists for his own sake and not for another's, so we pursue this as the only free science, for it alone exists for it's own sake.

Metaphysics, book 1, trans. w. d. ross. This is the part of my greek philo class where I will probably become even more annoying.

Suppressed Poet
09-02-2013, 11:13 PM
There's a time for love and a time for living
You take a chance and face the wind
An open road and a road that's hidden
A brand new life around the bend
There were times when I lost a dream or two
Found a trail and at the end was you
There's a path you take and a path untaken
The choice is up to you my friend
Nights are long but you're on your way
To a brand new life
Brand new life
Brand new life around the bend

Stanley Burrell
09-03-2013, 08:11 PM
"Please, tell me about the fucking golf shoes!"

Methais
09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
women are sweet
and girls are honey
but beat your meat
and save your money

Latrinsorm
09-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Suddenly there was this huge mechanical failure and one of the engines gave out, and they started just falling thirty thousand feet, the pilot's on the microphone and he's saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, oh my God, I'm sorry," and apologizing, and she looks at the man and she says, she says, she says, "Where are we going?" ...and he looks at her... and he says, "We're going to a party! It's a birthday party! It's your birthday party, happy birthday darling! We love you very, very, very, very, very, very, very much!" And then he starts humming this little tune.

And when we get down there, way down to the very bottom of everything, then we'll see it, oh we'll see it! We'll see it! We'll see it!

I'm happy just because I've found out I am really no one.

-Bright Eyes, "At The Bottom of Everything"

leifastagsweed
09-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Let me hear you make decisions without your television.
Let me hear you speaking just for me.
Let me hear you crying just for me.
Let me see you stripped down to the bone.

Latrinsorm
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Please don't bungee-jump
or ignore a strange lump
and the gasoline pump's
not a toy...
Like you always say:
safe travels
don't die
don't die
safe travels
don't die
don't die
safe travels
don't die
don't die
safe travels
don't die
don't die

We came to Minneapolis,
all fizzy blood and twitchy fists,
I buried you in a day of snowing.

Lisa Hannigan, Safe Travels and Passenger

FlayedAngel
09-19-2013, 07:14 PM
"Scott, if your life had a face, I would punch it in the balls. Seriously."

-- Stephen Stills, Scott Pilgrim.

leifastagsweed
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
"Scott, if your life had a face, I would punch it in the balls. Seriously."

-- Stephen Stills, Scott Pilgrim.

Haha, just saw this last weekend.

Aaand no, YOU, sir, you get me closer to GOD.

Latrinsorm
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
When the night takes a deep breath
and the daylight has no air...
If I crawl, if I come crawling home,
will you be there?

A man dreams one day to fly,
a man takes a rocketship into the sky.
He lives on a star that's dying in the night
and follows in the trail, the scatter of light.

Slow down my beating heart...
slowly, slowly love.
slowly, slowly love.
slowly, slowly love.

-U2, In a Little While

such a beautiful song, but I still can't listen to it all the way through. I put it on for my brother, Joey, and - as I wrote to Bono and the band that week- a few seconds after the song ended...he was gone, He went with it, i thought, to that place songs go after they're played -- wherever that is. I miss him so much

-Mickey Leigh / Mitchel Hyman on U2's In A Little While

Thondalar
09-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Just for Latrin, since he started this thread:

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty."

-Thomas Jefferson

Latrinsorm
09-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Just for Latrin, since he started this thread:

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty."

-Thomas JeffersonThomas Jefferson committing a false dichotomy? I'm shocked. Shocked!

MotleyCrew
09-28-2013, 04:54 PM
To whom it concerns, Darlene's work will be late,
it fell on her pancakes and stuck to her plate...
To whom it concerns, my ma made me write this,
and I'm just her kid, so how could I fight this...
To whom it concerns, I lost my assignment,
maybe I'll get lucky, solitary confinement...
To whom it concerns, Darlene's great with the ball,
but guys don't watch tomboys when they're cruising the hall...
To whom it concerns, I just turned thirteen,
too short to be quarterback, too plain to be queen...
To whom it concerns, I'm not made of steel,
when I get blindsided my pain is quite real...
I don't mean to squawk, but it really burns...
I just thought I'd mention it, to whom it concerns...

diethx
09-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I love that episode. Oh, who am I kidding? I love all episodes before they won the lotto.

Latrinsorm
10-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
to a glimpse of how green it was on the other side.
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again,
dragged by the force of some inner tide...

Nightwish - High Hopes

Do you know where I was at your age?
Any idea where I was at your age?
I was working downtown for the minimum wage
and I'm not gonna let you just throw it all away!
I'm through being cute, I'm through being nice.
O tell me, Lord, am I the Antichrist?!

Arcade Fire - Antichrist Television Blues

Latrinsorm
10-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Summer in the city means cleavage, cleavage, cleavage,
and I start to miss you, baby, sometimes.
I've been staying up and drinking in a late night establishment,
telling strangers personal things.

Regina Spektor - Summer in the City

Latrinsorm
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.
It occurs to me that I am America.
I am talking to myself again.
America, I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel.

Allen Ginsberg - America

Dayko
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
“There sit two lovers
One’s eyes intently chasing the other’s
She doesn’t love him anymore
But he’ll stick it out till the end
This he had sworn
Lying awake in bed
Feeling the spot on my chest
Where you used to rest your head
You see love’s a funny thing the way it lingers in the mind
No matter what you do or the passing of time
That ember still glows for those lovers behind
No matter if it’s well remembered
That light still shines
Good times take precedent over every incident
No matter how poorly spent
So we put on these ridiculous fronts
Like we were just fooling around
Our love was only childish fun
Yet we know different
That it meant something to us
And that piece still lingers in each one that we’ve loved
So we pick up the pieces
Try and make a half a whole
But in the back of our minds
There’s quite a different story to be told
That Love has kissed our lips
That Love has touched our eyes
And no matter how sincere
Love has changed our lives
And even if all love has flown
We’ll have a few scars to proudly show
Cause at the end of our lives
We can say, ‘At least we tried’
Lying awake in bed
Feeling the spot on my chest
Where you used to rest your head”

Being As An Ocean - The Hardest Part Is Forgetting Those You Swore You Would Never Forget

leifastagsweed
11-02-2013, 02:21 PM
"One fine day, let it be soon
She won't be rich or beautiful
But she'll be walking your streets
In the clothes that she went out and
Chose for herself."

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/5123332457_32ccdd6539.jpg

Latrinsorm
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
And I'll be your little gypsy princess
pack your bags and we can chase the sunset