PDA

View Full Version : Experience absorption rate?

Merzbow
08-06-2004, 11:18 PM
The curve here seems to be a lot flatter than indicated in Tsoran's trainer... the trainer tells me I should be absorbing 28 when numb and 20 when clear, instead I am absorbing 30 when numb and 28 when clear. Does this jibe with what other people are seeing? Personally I think this change is great, it means that people aren't forced to be out constantly powerhunting to earn experience quickly.

Jonty
08-06-2004, 11:21 PM
They changed this when GS4 was launched.

Tsoran
08-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Yes, GS4 has significant changes to the absorption rates, and the spreadsheet doesn't incorporate those changes, in part because I don't know the new formulas, but also because there's so many factors now.

Things that affect absorption rate:

being in a group (bonus)
injuries or scars in certain locations (penalty)
location (bonus)
what's in your hands (penalty)

Possibly a few other things, too.

As you noticed, the curve has been flattened, with us absorbing much faster when clear than we used to. This means it's not as important to stay fried as it used to be.

Myshel
08-07-2004, 12:20 PM
oh yea, rub a smooth stone, while inside the front gate always helps.:bleh:

Adhara
08-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Tsoran, or anyone else that knows, could you give examples of how those factors affect the absorption rate? I never read the official boards and haven't really played since GS4.

Being in a group. You mean that if I rest at a table, being grouped with someone will make me absorb faster?

Injuries I noticed. Head, nerves... any other?

Location. Which ones? Tables? Super nodes?

Which hand? Can anything be held without penalty?

Not looking for specific numbers, just basically a "to do" and "not to do" list.

Latrinsorm
08-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Having weapon in your right hand hinders your absorption rate. Being in town helps absorption. That's all I got. :)

Jonty
08-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Off the top of my head:

Being grouped gives an increasing bonus with increasing members in he group. The Bonus is best used out of town. In town, it's a very small bonus.

Injuries... I've always suspected they gave a penalty to experience absorption. It's just that in GS4, we are given a message indicating so. Yes, it's only major head and nerve wounds/scars that wll give you a penalty.

Locations: There is a bonus for being in town. Something like 80% of a nodes bonus. Same as non-noded sanctuaries. There's no such thing as super nodes. It's either a node, or it's not. Tables are nodes. Nodes have always had teh highest absorption rate.

Holding a weapon in your right hand out of town gives you a penalty. This used to be true for anywhere in game. But the penalty has been removed for being in town.

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by Jonty]

Tsoran
08-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jonty
Holding a weapon in your right hand out of town gives you a penalty. This used to be true for anywhere in game. But the penalty has been removed for being in town.

I'm pretty sure that one of the GS4 changes was that holding a weapon in either hand causes the penalty. No more free ride for archers in this respect.

Mistomeer
08-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Off the top of my head:

Being grouped gives an increasing bonus with increasing members in he group. The Bonus is best used out of town. In town, it's a very small bonus.

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by Jonty]

I've noticed the group bonus is minimal. Outside of town in a group with one other at a node, I noticed the bonus was about +3 to exp absorbed versus being at a node in town alone.

Jonty
08-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh, forgot to add, the max benefit for being in a group is four group memebers.

Jonty
08-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
I've noticed the group bonus is minimal. Outside of town in a group with one other at a node, I noticed the bonus was about +3 to exp absorbed versus being at a node in town alone.

Sounds fine to me. Especially with only one other memeber. What did you expect?

Mistomeer
08-08-2004, 01:46 PM

Not complaining at all. Every little bit helps.

Merzbow
08-09-2004, 01:10 AM

Not complaining at all. Every little bit helps.

+3 is a 10% boost, that's pretty major in my opinion. (Wonder if we'll now encounter hordes of MAers who will station one character at a node just for this purpose alone.)

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Merzbow]