PDA

View Full Version : Any Attempt to Combat the Spam?

Fallen
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
While it is somewhat easy to ignore, there is certainly a rise in the amount of spam the PC has been bombarded with lately. Is there any chance for tighter registration controls any time soon?

Tgo01
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
I say change the question at signup from "Which company makes Gemstone" to "Which company makes Modus Operandi." It's tricky because it's the same answer but 1000 times less likely someone will know the answer.

Methais
03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Tractors.

Archigeek
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Or be even more obscure with an in-game question that would be difficult to find with a search engine, but any player would know, like "name a popular resting place north of the north gate of the original town in the game we all play". Worded like that, with no key words in the question, that's a tough answer for a spam bot, but an easy one for a player.

Androidpk
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Wolves. Lots and lots of multi-textured wolves.

DrZaius
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
"Where can the Raging Thrak be found?"

Archigeek
03-14-2013, 01:37 PM
"Where can the Raging Thrak be found?"

Rephrase that with no searchable key words and you've got the right kind of question: "Name the inn north of the bank in WL."

Easy answer for one of us, but with no reference beyond WL, it's virtually impossible to find the answer. Replace inn with establishment and it's even harder.

Gelston
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Who is your daddy and what does he do?

DrZaius
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Rephrase that with no searchable key words and you've got the right kind of question: "Name the inn north of the bank in WL."

Easy answer for one of us, but with no reference beyond WL, it's virtually impossible to find the answer. Replace inn with establishment and it's even harder.

I meant the dude! I get your point though.

Tgo01
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
"Which is the best town for cybersex?"

Back
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Something as simple as...

What is 1 e of TC?

Methais
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Which Arkati gives you deeds?

That's something literally everybody knows, and I didn't see the answer plastered anywhere on a quick Google search.

Drew
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Which Arkati gives you deeds?

That's something literally everybody knows, and I didn't see the answer plastered anywhere on a quick Google search.

I have no idea who does that. I've only played this game for about 15 years.

Also it would have to be something returning players would remember, all of these questions proposed so far would have kept me off these message boards (although you could debate that would have been a plus).

Drew
03-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Also it's not spam bots registering, it's actual people in India or wherever. Once they've registered the bots go to work.

Ashliana
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I have no idea who does that. I've only played this game for about 15 years.

Also it would have to be something returning players would remember, all of these questions proposed so far would have kept me off these message boards (although you could debate that would have been a plus).

How could you not know that? Have you never gotten a deed from the temple in the Landing? Have you never died, period, and had the game TELL you which deity you either have, or lack, a favor from? Jeez. :p

Fallen
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Also it's not spam bots registering, it's actual people in India or wherever. Once they've registered the bots go to work.

I was wondering about that. If it is actual people registering, then letting the bots run loose then we would need to have Anticor or whomever personally approve accounts via e-mail to stop it.

Drew
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah but how would Anticor know if they were a bot or not from the email?

Drew
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
How could you not know that? Have you never gotten a deed from the temple in the Landing? Have you never died, period, and had the game TELL you which deity you either have, or lack, a favor from? Jeez. :p

Some monk says a lot of gibberish when you get a deed. I don't really die in the game, check your logs.

Archigeek
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM

This is why you use a question that isn't easily answered via a google search. Include no pronouns and you're good to go. If a returning player doesn't know the answer, they can go ask on the officials and someone there will tell them.

Drew
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
This is why you use a question that isn't easily answered via a google search. Include no pronouns and you're good to go. If a returning player doesn't know the answer, they can go ask on the officials and someone there will tell them.

Although a number of players come here and ask questions before the resubscribe so that would preclude them.

Latrinsorm
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah but how would Anticor know if they were a bot or not from the email?What, just because he's a man means he's dumb? I'm surprised at you, Drew. Surprised and disappointed.

Back
03-25-2013, 02:04 PM
BUMP

This is happening sometimes 4-5 times a day. It seemed like changing the security question to something easy and non-Google-able was a low maintenance solution. Any movement on this?

Methais
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
I just want tractor parts.

AnticorRifling
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
BUMP

This is happening sometimes 4-5 times a day. It seemed like changing the security question to something easy and non-Google-able was a low maintenance solution. Any movement on this?

As soon as everyone can figure out an easy, and non-google-able-ist-ily question that can be answered by someone who hasn't played the game in years...sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Whirlin
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Captcha?

RSR
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Who is Haashek's son?

Androidpk
03-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Where is Mankrik's wife?

Back
03-25-2013, 04:20 PM
who sells arms in the landing?

Candor
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
As soon as everyone can figure out an easy, and non-google-able-ist-ily question that can be answered by someone who hasn't played the game in years...sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Who is the self-proclamined King of the Landing?

Latrinsorm
03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
who sells arms in the landing?Google returns no relevant results for this on the first page. I vote for it.

Tgo01
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to change the sign up question/answer but assuming it isn't overly time consuming couldn't the question just be changed once in a while? Maybe the spammers will give up and move on to easier forums to spam if they have to keep finding out the answer.

waywardgs
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
This is easy. Just close registration. No new accounts.

Archigeek
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
who sells arms in the landing?

I think some were mentioned earlier in the thread, but this should work. No names in the clue likely means pretty difficult to search, and landing is generic enough.

diethx
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
I only quit 3 or 4 years ago and I was always ​in the Landing, and I can't remember the exact name of that NPC.

diethx
03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
This is easy. Just close registration. No new accounts.

You know, this isn't an awful idea. Put up a quick template of an application for membership. Those wanting to join need to fill it out and Anticor can review. Like, 2 sentences about why you want to join the PC and your playing history in the game or otherwise. That way he can weed out the ones that are clearly using a whatever-to-English online dictionary.

Then again, that's probably more work than he wants, as opposed to just banning them as they show up. So I get him not being keen on it.

Catts
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't even know half these damn questions since I've spent maybe 5 minutes in the landing total

AnticorRifling
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Doesn't bother me at all, I just don't want to add any pain to the new member process...well not any more pain than it must cause Back to skip over a few posts before I delete them.

Liagala
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
What is the first creature traditionally hunted by new characters in Landing?

What word should you ALWAYS use when putting your stuff away, to make sure it stays yours and doesn't go into a container on the ground?

What's the name of the world we play(ed) in?

What color is the text in the left navigation bar on the official site? (they can go look this up without an active account)

Include a reminder that anyone who doesn't remember the answers is welcome to contact the site administrator by clicking (whatever link there is for non-members to get to an admin with questions). They can explain who they are and get it worked out there.

everan
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Can there be two questions out of a pool of maybe five that are a different two each time?

What's the point of spamming us anyway? What do they get out of posting random current event stories?

Alfster
03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
At 30 cents a day they probably just need one idiot to click on their links to get moar traffic than the next guy.

Methais
03-25-2013, 11:18 PM
I think a question like "What is the minimum endroll required to gain at least a rank 2 injury when swinging an axe based weapon with decent crit weighting against the abdomen of a troll when you factor in them wearing chain mail on top of their natural padding?" would be quite reasonable to use.

Gelston
03-25-2013, 11:27 PM
What level times four do you need to be to hold glaes?

Drew
03-25-2013, 11:34 PM
What's the point of spamming us anyway? What do they get out of posting random current event stories?

Sometimes you'll see links in their signature. Some of the smarter bots make a post and then edit in links in the body of it after it's fallen off today's posts. All for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Methais
03-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Sometimes you'll see links in their signature. Some of the smarter bots make a post and then edit in links in the body of it after it's fallen off today's posts. All for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Why the bad ones gotta be called black hat?
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/157/122/f.gif

Stanley Burrell
03-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Why the bad ones gotta be called black hat?
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/157/122/f.gif

Because they're not master hacker or l33t h4x0r yet.

Deus ex machina.

Catts
03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
why don't you just add captcha to every post?

diethx
03-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Please tell me that was a joke.

Tgo01
03-29-2013, 04:53 PM

You GTFO!

Stanley Burrell
03-29-2013, 05:06 PM

It'll be April Fools' Day pretty soon. Surely enough time to code this into all the phps. For a day, it would be awesome.

Let's see, I was spoofing with IP addresses around an invisible area of Tanzania on these forums for a few days a while back. vBulletin should have e-mail authenticity approval coded in and ready to use in the fancy admin screen. Except I think the collective whole of the continent of Asia would probably nuke Anticor's weiner dogs. And that runs its own security risks even if it's not an MMail attack. Maybe an X hours verification protocol could do something except they're on a shit ton of other web logs and they get spammed just the same.

?

Methais
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't really see why this is such an earth shattering issue to begin with. Usually once a day there are 3 or 4 spam threads made with user names and subject lines that are so obvious that you don't even need to open the thread to know it's spam.

Just flick your finger down an extra time on the mouse wheel and be done with it, as if it were some normal thread that you're not interested in. I'm sure if it became some big epidemic to where finding real threads in all the spam became an issue that it would be fixed by Kranar or Anticor pretty quick. As of now, I don't see scrolling past a few obvious spam threads in the morning being such a huge issue, especially when there are more important things going on, like trying to inflate the price of silvers back up.

And I don't know about you, but I never would have know about awesome deals on tractor parts were it not for spam.

Latrinsorm
03-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Just flick your finger down an extra time on the mouse wheel and be done with itI'm sorry, I thought this was America.

Methais
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/2012-12/IThoughtThisWasAmurica.jpg

Catts
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
adding captcha would be a checkbox...you don't need to write new php

diethx
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM

Wow. You weren't joking.

Wow.

Catts
03-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Wow. You weren't joking.

Wow.
ok?

diethx
03-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Who the fuck wants to type in a captcha every time they post?

I think that might be the worst idea ever in all of the PC's history.

Methais
03-29-2013, 06:06 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcy3m9gCjv1r8l20v.gif

Catts
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Who the fuck wants to type in a captcha every time they post?

I think that might be the worst idea ever in all of the PC's history.

that's what you're "wow"ing about?

You'd just make it required first 30 days or based on getting positive rep. Who gives positive rep to spammers?

Anyway it worked on both sites I've made...no issues with spam

diethx
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh, you meant for new accounts only.

Ok, I'd be fine with that.

Catts
03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh, you meant for new accounts only.

Ok, I'd be fine with that.

yeah or that if your rep wasn't high enough you need captcha...it's an option with the phpBB forum templates I used, and this website looks similar

anyway i'd rather admire your fashion than bicker with you ;)

Also that pic cracked me up methais lol

diethx
03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
No bickering. But I was going to have to kick your ass there for a second.

AestheticDeath
03-29-2013, 06:29 PM
If you do it based on rep, everyone would be neg repping each other just to be dicks and make them use captcha.

At most it would need to be based around your first 3 posts. And if all three of your first three posts get neg repped, you cannot post anymore without admin permissions or something.

Back
03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Seems like changing the security question is an easy way to save everyone grief.

Hamticor used to ban them but even as super awesome at administration as he is even he can't keep up. If anyone stands to benefit the most it would be him.

Catts
03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
If you do it based on rep, everyone would be neg repping each other just to be dicks and make them use captcha.

At most it would need to be based around your first 3 posts. And if all three of your first three posts get neg repped, you cannot post anymore without admin permissions or something.

that's a good idea

Methais
03-29-2013, 06:47 PM
What is the security question anyway?

Back
03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

IM SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR CONSTANT QUWESTIONSSS

Methais
03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
IM SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR CONSTANT QUWESTIONSSS

GET TO THE POWINT!

Some Rogue
03-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Where does Back go to pick up drunk black women?

Stanley Burrell
03-29-2013, 08:48 PM

And that would be checkbox1. We are going to write our own non-exploitable source code down to the last unscammable binary value!

We might even have the collective brainpower and free time for it.

...I wish I could write marquee tags.

Velfi
03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Captcha doesn't stop shit.

Methais
03-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Require all new accounts to have a dog in a suit avatar.

4a6c1
03-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Noooooooo!

Catts
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Captcha doesn't stop shit.

done right it does.

Methais
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Noooooooo!

We'll make an exception in your case and allow a bizarre tranny Vader in a suit avatar. As long as he has floppy ears.

4a6c1
03-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Make me that, hotdog man.

Methais
03-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Make me that, hotdog man.

I do not possess photoshop, nor am I at home. Post a request in the secret dog in suit avatar thread. It'll almost be like applying for membership to our exclusive cool club.

Someone make this for Rojo immediately.

4a6c1
03-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Yes please someone. I want to be a bitch with the rest of these bitches.

Gelston
03-30-2013, 01:18 AM
I want more spam bots. I love their tidbits. THE SPAM MUST FLOW.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 07:58 AM
There is a simple solution to getting rid of the bots before they even get permission to post... I'm not sure why we're still not implementing it.

Add a security question where anyone who has ever played the game would know the answer.. and if they don't.. they are probably too stupid to post here anyway.

Easier for the readers.. easier for Anticor.. easier for everyone. Why aren't we doing it then?

PS - If Buckwheet was the admin, this would have already been done by now!!!

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 08:19 AM
There is a simple solution to getting rid of the bots before they even get permission to post... I'm not sure why we're still not implementing it.

Add a security question where anyone who has ever played the game would know the answer.. and if they don't.. they are probably too stupid to post here anyway.

Easier for the readers.. easier for Anticor.. easier for everyone. Why aren't we doing it then?

PS - If Buckwheet was the admin, this would have already been done by now!!!

You literally didn't read any of this thread, literally.

You're not mad at me, you're mad at the avoidable damage.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
You literally didn't read any of this thread, literally.

You're not mad at me, you're mad at the avoidable damage.

Of course it's avoidable... that doesn't mean it's not annoying though.

Especially since there is an extremely easy fix to end it.

You're only excuse for not getting it implemented is because you don't want to make the new member signup any harder.. but seriously it should be.

8 bots today.. and even a bot vs. bot thread.

It's silly not to fix it. I'm sure Buckwheet has a few good ideas on how it can be corrected. Let's ask him since we seem to be stuck on what to do.

Kranar
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
We already do ask signup questions based on Gemstone. It's something that has been done for years.

They're mostly based on Gemstone geography, so I imagine anyone committed enough to spam numerous message boards with ads is committed enough to find the answer to the question.

Fallen
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
We already do ask signup questions based on Gemstone. It's something that has been done for years.

It looks like whichever ones you use have been banked by whatever system is creating the spambots.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 11:18 AM

They're mostly based on Gemstone geography, so I imagine anyone committed enough to spam numerous message boards with ads is committed enough to find the answer to the question.

I think it's stuck on one question.. since I tried to reload the screen and the only random question that came up was this one:

What is the name of the company that makes Gemstome.

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I think it's stuck on one question.. since I tried to reload the screen and the only random question that came up was this one:

What is the name of the company that makes Gemstome.

That's the question I was asked when I signed up years ago.

Fallen
05-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Another suggestion for a question everyone should know: What is the name of the first and most historic player accessible town in Gemstone?

Kranar
05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Well there are only 6 questions so I imagine that one comes up a lot.

Other questions are:

Where does Gemstone take place?
What island becomes accessible at level 20?
What does AS stand for?
How many enchantments does vultite have?
What town is known for its cold and icy climate?

Let's not discuss the answers here... although they should all be obvious.

>What is the name of the first and most historic player accessible town in Gemstone?

I can add that one.

Drew
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Another suggestion for a question everyone should know: What is the name of the first and most historic player accessible town in Gemstone?

I've been playing for over 15 years and I probably can't spell Wehnheimer's. That's definitely wrong. Whenhiemers? Is there an apostrophe? I don't remember.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Of course it's avoidable... that doesn't mean it's not annoying though.

Especially since there is an extremely easy fix to end it.

You're only excuse for not getting it implemented is because you don't want to make the new member signup any harder.. but seriously it should be.

8 bots today.. and even a bot vs. bot thread.

It's silly not to fix it. I'm sure Buckwheet has a few good ideas on how it can be corrected. Let's ask him since we seem to be stuck on what to do.

1) You missed the joke on avoidable damage. WOOOSH

2) It shouldn't be more difficult for new users to join.

3) I get it, you're playing again and want free stuff from buck, try stroking his nuts not his ego.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I've been playing for over 15 years and I probably can't spell Wehnheimer's. That's definitely wrong. Whenhiemers? Is there an apostrophe? I don't remember.

I couldn't spell that one right without looking it up.

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I guess the problem now is that since these bots know some (all?) of these answers they could just keep refreshing the sign up page until they get a question they have the answer to. Maybe the current questions need to be done away with and a new crop of questions go out.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Just an FYI...the SIMU question is not the one that changes, it's the RANDOM question that changes.....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n177/anticor/Misc/Register_zps2115f554.png (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/anticor/media/Misc/Register_zps2115f554.png.html)

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't remember that random question bit at all. Is that relatively new?

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 11:51 AM
1) You missed the joke on avoidable damage. WOOOSH

It was dumb. I don't acknowledge weak attempts... sorry.

2) It shouldn't be more difficult for new users to join.

It should be more difficult for spambots to join. 8 bots in one morning... well, it's not difficult at all.

3) I get it, you're playing again and want free stuff from buck, try stroking his nuts not his ego.

I couldn't tell you what his characters name is... so swing and a big miss on your part there.

I used Buckwheet's name as a tool to move this discussion along to an actual solution instead of you just dismissing it as something you can't/won't do. It worked magically for this site to be upgraded.. I'm hoping lightning can strike twice.

Kranar
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Well I'm open to suggestions.

We tried in the past to use e-mail verification and that had a huge backlash along with major headaches.

The question/answer system is the best thing we have, I'd be down to changing the questions and if anyone has some good ones they can PM them to me.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Just an FYI...the SIMU question is not the one that changes, it's the RANDOM question that changes.....

This feature wasn't working this morning when I logged out and refreshed the page about 50 times. It was only that one question that I posted earlier.

Good... that should take care of most of the rampant spam.

Thanks.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Well I'm open to suggestions.

We tried in the past to use e-mail verification and that had a huge backlash along with major headaches.

The question/answer system is the best thing we have, I'd be down to changing the questions and if anyone has some good ones they can PM them to me.

I think the problem was it was stuck on one question.. and the spammers had the answer already. You fixed it.

I'm going to proclaim the problem solved and give you my thanks.

Thanks.

Buckwheet
05-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I sent Anticor this by PM. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230921

Something to look into and not something you have to maintain. I am sure the host you have can install this for you? In addition you can use vbulletin.org to review several other anti-spam or bot programs.

The reason I picked that addon is because it says it was tested on 4.2(which you are running here) however there are better protections available if you upgrade to 5.X.

This is another option. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

Edit: 5.x is not "Gold" yet but we have a sneak peak where I work since we use it for our internal user community and when it goes gold and developers release their updates it will be much better.

Methais
05-07-2013, 12:22 PM
What will happen to our tractor parts now?

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
What will happen to our tractor parts now?

Our tractor parts will always be a part of us, they will always be inside of us. Deep, deep inside of us.

Methais
05-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Our tractor parts will always be a part of us, they will always be inside of us. Deep, deep inside of us.

Like this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eY5WnQ7HCoA/TgENsjxQCgI/AAAAAAAAAD4/Rdr7BYuw_Hw/s1600/ryan-dunn-butt-xray-toy-car.jpg

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
This feature wasn't working this morning when I logged out and refreshed the page about 50 times. It was only that one question that I posted earlier.

Good... that should take care of most of the rampant spam.

Thanks.

Weird it was there the very first time I tried without any change being made.... I know it wasn't highlighted with a big red box and it's not in it's own section so it's easy to miss with old eyes.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Weird it was there the very first time I tried without any change being made.... I know it wasn't highlighted with a big red box and it's not in it's own section so it's easy to miss with old eyes.

I'm not sure why you've chosen to be so defensive about this simple change. I don't think anyone is blaming you for anything.. so whatever. All I can tell you is what actually happened. I'll even timeline it out for you:

7:58am - I ask what's happening with a solution to all the spam bots.

8:19am - You respond with nothing.

10:30am - I post the code word "BUCKWHEET".

11:07am - Kranar responds, saying there is already a random question in place.

11:08am - 11:17am: I log out and refresh the new registration page. Only one random question is ever offered on 50+ refreshs: What is the name of the company that makes Gemstome.

11:27am - Kranar responds with additional questions.

11:45am - 11:50am - I again log out and refresh the page. It now offers random questions.

Like I said.. it's now working as designed, so now we should see fewer spam bots every morning... which is all I asked.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:04 PM
The fix was there...magically you couldn't see it, and didn't screenshot to show it missing. I try once I see it and I screen shot it and highlight it then you say oh thur it is I sees it now.

You see very few spam bots as it is. And all you asked was asked previously, you just did it like an ass...which is irritating, not defensive...irritated. But hey all you can tell me is what actually was perceived (not actually happened) so you'll think you're right and anything else is your defense of "revisionist".

Some Rogue
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
It wasn't there for me the last time I looked. (Last week)

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:11 PM
No idea. First time I've tried to register a new account on these boards and it was there, using google chrome if that even matters (and it shouldn't).

Showal
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Is anyone else concerned that PB is violating TOS by creating a second account? What is he hiding? Or who is he hiding from?

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Is anyone else concerned that PB is violating TOS by creating a second account? What is he hiding? Or who is he hiding from?

Looking at the registration page is not violating TOS and it does not mean you're creating a second account. Quit trying to Clyde up this thread fucker.

Showal
05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Looking at the registration page is not violating TOS and it does not mean you're creating a second account. Quit trying to Clyde up this thread fucker.

HOW DO YOU KNOW HE DIDN'T CREATE A SECOND ACCOUNT? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Gelston
05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Anticor just confirmed, Showal is ClydeR.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Anticor just confirmed, Showal is ClydeR.

I did no such thing.

diethx
05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen Anticor and PB fight.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen Anticor and PB fight.

You've obviously never been in vent with us.

Androidpk
05-07-2013, 01:18 PM
It's against TOS to have more than one account?

Showal
05-07-2013, 01:19 PM
My two dads are fighting

diethx
05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
You've obviously never been in vent with us.

Yes, that is obvious.

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
It wasn't there for me the last time I looked. (Last week)

I never remember seeing any question other than the company one either.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
The fix was there...magically you couldn't see it, and didn't screenshot to show it missing. I try once I see it and I screen shot it and highlight it then you say oh thur it is I sees it now.

I didn't screen shot it.. I copy/pasted the only "random" question that came up in 50+ refreshes.

What motivation was there for me to lie about it.. and create a question with a different font/color that magically matched the registration screen?

I told you exactly what happened.. I can't force you to understand it.

You see very few spam bots as it is. And all you asked was asked previously, you just did it like an ass...which is irritating, not defensive...irritated. But hey all you can tell me is what actually was perceived (not actually happened) so you'll think you're right and anything else is your defense of "revisionist".

Your response to my simple question this morning was irritating. I responded in kind.

Everything I have posted in this thread is exactly what happened. It differs drastically from your account of events.

Take that for what it's worth.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I didn't screen shot it.. I copy/pasted the only "random" question that came up in 50+ refreshes.

What motivation was there for me to lie about it.. and create a question with a different font/color that magically matched the registration screen?

I told you exactly what happened.. I can't force you to understand it.

Your response to my simple question this morning was irritating. I responded in kind.

Everything I have posted in this thread is exactly what happened. It differs drastically from your account of events.

Take that for what it's worth.

You copy and pasted 1 of the question fields. I, in an attempt to validate and recreate, hit the register button and saw 2 question fields. I pointed this out and provided a screenshot for your review.

Parkbandit
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
You copy and pasted 1 of the question fields. I, in an attempt to validate and recreate, hit the register button and saw 2 question fields. I pointed this out and provided a screenshot for your review.

Yes.. you provided us with a screen shot of what it now looks like after the correction.

Thank you.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes.. you provided us with a screen shot of what it now looks like after the correction.

Thank you.

It even includes the static (not random) question you saw every time because it is... static (not random).

And you're welcome.

Some Rogue
05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
http://youtu.be/yWBCobt-Hww

:grin:

Buckwheet
05-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Couldn't resist...http://i41.tinypic.com/2v2hxkn.jpg 30% since lunch!

Some Rogue
05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Maybe if people who were actually active were promoted to mod/supermod, it would help? I dunno.

diethx
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I can't think of a single active person on this forum who should be mod, heh.

Lolleia
05-07-2013, 04:25 PM

I nominate Whirlin's bow.

diethx
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
lol

Fallen
05-07-2013, 04:39 PM

:(

diethx
05-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Don't you frown at me, fancy pants.

Androidpk
05-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I would vote for Stan B.

diethx
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Not active enough.

Androidpk
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Not active enough? Stan B is like batman, in the shadows, watching, waiting.

Tgo01
05-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Not active enough? Stan B is like batman, in the shadows, watching, waiting, masturbating.

Agreed.

4a6c1
05-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Stan?! Are you high.

I nominate Fallen. He's solid and dependable. And he brought it up.

TheEschaton
05-07-2013, 05:05 PM
SB being a mod would be the most awesome thing ever. I vote yes.

Androidpk
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Stan?! Are you high.

I nominate Fallen. He's solid and dependable. And he brought it up.

Quiet you, men are debating.

4a6c1
05-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I....I....I'm going back to the kitchen can I get you another beer?

:-[

Androidpk
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I....I....I'm going back to the kitchen can I get you another beer?

:-[

:heart:

SHAFT
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Fine, I admit it. I am Clyde

Fallen
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I'd vote for S.B. too. He'd scare all the bots away. With his nudity.

Latrinsorm
05-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I can't think of a single active person on this forum who should be mod, heh.<-- :yes:

And I am definitely not on the side of the robots, with their sleek shining carapaces, pure perfect brains, intricately tooled eyes glistening under fluorescent lights... tractor parts... tractor pARRRRTSSNNNNGH

Gelston
05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
You ARE a robot.

Showal
05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Do we really need another mod? I'm happy with things the way they are.

diethx
05-07-2013, 05:40 PM
^

Liagala
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Do we really need another mod? I'm happy with things the way they are.
x2. It's not like we have thousands of members that need to be policed and a million posts to keep up with. Other than the recent influx of bots (which doesn't bother me in the slightest, as sometimes their little news pieces are amusing), there have been no issues here that were not quickly and efficiently handled by the wiener dogs.

Methais
05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Let's make Backlash and Inspire mods just to see what happens.

Gelston
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I think IW should be a mod.

4a6c1
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Ding ALL the terror watch lists!

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/misc-all-the-things-l.png

Warriorbird
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Wannabe Muslims love fighting Hindus.

Buckwheet
05-10-2013, 03:12 PM
I just wanted to let Kranar or whomever else may run community sites that we recently deployed CloudFlare on a different VBulletin based site. This was after a conference were many other users recommending following this Blog post from them:

http://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-tips-using-cloudflare-for-your-for

It was quite a bit easier to configure that doing the VBulletin plug ins and offered us quite a bit of control over customization. It had the side benefit of improving performance of certain aspects of the site.

Parkbandit
05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
How has the spam been since the fix? I think I've noticed one login in the past 3 days.. but I've been getting up later than normal.. so how would I know!?

AnticorRifling
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
How has the spam been since the fix? I think I've noticed one login in the past 3 days.. but I've been getting up later than normal.. so how would I know!?

Still averaging about 3 a day....hopefully we don't hit 8 before I can get on and clear it or your precious eyes might be offended!

Tgo01
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I haven't noticed much spam the past few days but that could just be because the threads are being removed before I have a chance to see them.

AnticorRifling
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I try and delete all the threads and ban the bot as soon as I see them. My normal routine is to look for stupid (or not our type of stupid) thread names and users anytime I hit New Posts then I start reading the actual threads.

Parkbandit
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Still averaging about 3 a day....hopefully we don't hit 8 before I can get on and clear it or your precious eyes might be offended!

Perhaps we should look into some of the addons BUCKWHEET suggested.....

Buckwheet
05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Don't get me into trouble.

Showal
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Maybe we should start a new board? New board new board new board NEW BOARD NEW BOARD NEW BOARD NEW BOARD NEW BOARD NEW BOARD

LET'S ALL MOVE TO SUCKERFISH'S CONSPIRACY BOARD

Showal
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
OR BUCKWHEET BUCKWHEET BUCKWHEET BUCKWHEET BUCKWHEET

SHAFT
05-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I try and delete all the threads and ban the bot as soon as I see them. My normal routine is to look for stupid (or not our type of stupid) thread names and users anytime I hit New Posts then I start reading the actual threads.

Anything by aestheticdeath applies to this right?

Methais
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Anything by aestheticdeath applies to this right?

Careful. He might use direct words at you to show you who's boss.

Parkbandit
05-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I have only seen 1 spam login since this was corrected... which might have been a fluke.

Thanks again Kranar.