PDA

View Full Version : New Death Mechanics

StrayRogue
08-05-2004, 10:29 PM
So death will soon mean something again. Yay. Start getting deeds:

Characters will suffer stat loss based on how the character died, whether the character had deeds, or whether he was raised. The stats will come back on their own over a time of 10 minutes to 30-40 minutes if a character decayed without deeds. Stat loss does not stack. Rather, it is refreshed with each death. With the stat loss comes the decrease in relevant areas and abilities, such as AS, encumbrance, stamina, spirit, etc. The Chrism tier of the Cleric spell Holy Receptacle, 325, can be used to reduce the stat loss for the character once raised.
In addition, each death will result in a loss of Constitution, usually 1 point, but depending on the manner of death. It will be possible to gain these points back through earning more experience, or through purchasing a recovery item through the local churches (not detailing what the church is). It is possible to buy the item at any time, but they are attuned to the character, and it may be that it will become invalid if the character trains. These items may be costly, but the cost can be reduced by going through a quest for the church. Constitution loss caps to approximately 75% of the character's maximum. Enhancive items will work, but it is unclear how at the moment.

Stat losses will still be suffered if the death comes from CvC.

Edaarin
08-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Where was this, the boards?

StrayRogue
08-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Read the Katana quest documentation.

Edaarin
08-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Animate Dead coming out. Intriguing.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to WL for these raffles....

StrayRogue
08-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I just want Coup de Grace.

Meos
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
It's about time... Pwnding retards is gonna mean something again!

Bobmuhthol
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
^ Yes.

I also want a katana, though. Coup de Grace with a katana would be so cool.

StrayRogue
08-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Isn't coup de grace rogue only again?

Snapp
08-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Man, with all the CO changes, Solescape would've had like 25 HP if this had kicked in earlier.

Nieninque
08-06-2004, 10:42 AM
New Spells Animage Dead, Empathic Assault, 217, 317

I like that bit

A bit like Professor Mcgonnegal from Harry Potter?

fallenSaint
08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Fun so decaying is not longer the preferred method after death ... its a shame.

Parkbandit
08-06-2004, 11:38 AM
The mechanics were retarded though... idiots like Solescape would decay and poof back with full spirit. One pulse and he has mana for his retarded attempt at boil earth.

Glad to see the changes... they were a long time coming.

Fallen
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
So anyone know the penalties for decaying with and/or without deeds?

Jonty
08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
idiots like Solescape would decay and poof back with full spirit.

How do you pull that off?

Parkbandit
08-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jonty

Originally posted by Parkbandit
idiots like Solescape would decay and poof back with full spirit.

How do you pull that off?

Er.. I may be wrong about the full spirit... I think maybe it's full mana instead.

One of them refill upon a depart confirm.

StrayRogue
08-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Its mana.

Nieninque
08-06-2004, 02:07 PM
and no wounds

OoK
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
"It's about time... Pwnding retards is gonna mean something again!"

I don't know why people think this death system will put meaning back into Death. Personally, I'll be more likely to decay under the new mechanics than the old one. I'd rather have the stat loss than lose 1000 experience.

"The stats will come back on their own over a time of 10 minutes to 30-40 minutes if a character decayed without deeds. Stat loss does not stack."

So assume Raised with Deed is 10 minute recovery time. Decay without Deed is 40 minutes. Assume Raise without Deed is 20 minutes and Decay without Deed is 30 minutes. We'll have to see how much the stat loss is, but lets say it's 5 points per stat. I'll rest up, get respelled, whatever for 10 minutes, and I'll be only 3 stat points down per stat. Whoopy. By the time I finish my first hunt I'll be back up to full power.

"Constitution loss caps to approximately 75% of the character's maximum."

It's not clear if they mean constitution stat or constitution as in health points. The old banter about this was health points dropping, but being a giant on most of my characters, I'll still have like 170 HPs if I got ALL the way down to 75% cap. It's unlikely I'll ever drop that far, as I'll be gaining experience along the way.

I'll take temporary stat loss over 1000 experience any day.

-OoK

Shalla
08-09-2004, 03:50 PM
If anything, I think PvP will get worst. I don't think you can change some people who are into getting back on others who has offended them.. even by accident, people trying to pwn each other.. Because with the new death mechanics.. you are losing more than just a deed. It's not something you can replace either. I doubt many people in gemstone are willing to talk their differences and arguements out.

Death is going to mean more indeed. It's going to mean more, therefore.. one who has died at the hands of another would retaliate or seek revenge.

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Lady Shalla]

Trinitis
08-09-2004, 03:59 PM
wow..just think of Candor's stat loss in the first week alone! ROFL.

Parkbandit
08-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
wow..just think of Candor's stat loss in the first week alone! ROFL.

It doesn't stack.. so essentially it will stop people from dying and departing and coming back with the ability to kill others.

By the way.. Candor cracks me up and Falgrin will usually protect him.

Artha
08-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Just think of Coinner or Dionisius' stat loss in the first week alone.

Stunseed
08-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Now that's something to chuckle about.