PDA

View Full Version : A clutter queens regret

GSLeloo
08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I admit, I keep basically everything. So my aunt is having a yard sale in September to raise money for Breast Cancer and I said I would give her some stuff to sell. I took my Goosebump books off the shelf and started to look at them and suddenly I don't want to sell them! I dunno, I'm younger than a lot of people here but it was like in a way that defined a certain period of my life. Someone talk me into giving them to her.

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by GSLeloo]

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by GSLeloo]

HarmNone
08-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, I don't know if it will help or not but, if those books were that important to you, they might just mean equally as much to some other young person who will not have the chance to enjoy them if you do not make them available. :)

HarmNone, on sharing the joy

StrayRogue
08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
I have big cleans every year or so. That means I get a bin-liner and start throwing away all my old shit. I often come across things I can't possibly throw away, mainly crap like the cardboard backs of the old He-Man boxes, and then just stash them away somewhere. Then the next year I look on the stuff I just had to keep a years previous and throw it in the bin. Just tell yourself, its just stuff.

GSLeloo
08-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I actually had to make sure they were still available. ~blushes~ I went on B&N.com to make sure you could easily buy them if you wanted to.... you never know, my kids may want to read them! I kept six of the books that I really loved and put the other 17 in the box. Now I need to sort through fifty fear street books, then I get to Polly Pockets and Barbies.

HarmNone
08-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Hee. That sounds like a perfect compromise, Leloo. Both future and current children will benefit. :D

HarmNone likes that idea

*Edited to counteract butterfingers*

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by HarmNone]

Chadj
08-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I sold my 120957129350873 goosebumps books 3 years ago.

Blazing247
08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Get rid of it all. It's a great feeling to cleanse yourself of clutter.

Blazing247
08-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Plus, when you've moved about six or seven times, you will realize that books are HEAVY.

Jenisi
08-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Goosebumps were the shit. And I've *always* been a christopher pike books, I've been reading him since my younger years and continue to still read his more adult books. Anyway, I don't really have any of my "childhood" things considering i've moved so many darn times. I only have one very important doll to me, but pretty much everything else got the axe. Just give away the ones you don't really care about/didn't like that much in the first place. I'm sure you can easily decide which ones to give away.

Chadj
08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247
Plus, when you've moved about six or seven times, you will realize that books are HEAVY.

Yes. We moved in march, we had about 40 boxes of old, shitty ass books that we hadn't thrown out yet. Well, we took them with us. Holy shit that was a mofo pain in the ass.

Shalla
08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
R.L Stein's goosebumps aren't hard cover books.. they're more like pocket books.

Edit: Well I don't like taking things back.. but why don't you buy it from her instead? It's for a good cause anyway right? I think she would appreciate it if you buy something you donated.. maybe she'll give you a cheap price for it too since you're young.

I think those goosebumps pocket books are an excellent little heirlooms you can give to your kids in the future.

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by Lady Shalla]

GSLeloo
08-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Oh no I still had them, I hadn't yet made the box up to give to her.

DeV
08-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Give em up. It's for a good cause and you can always buy new ones if you get separation anxiety.

Latrinsorm
08-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I get that way with food. One time (as a prank) my brother and I took everything out of the cupboards and hid it (gotta love summer) and we couldn't beLIEVE the crap we had squirreled away in there. No more than 50% of it was edible, but we kept damn near all of it.

Then mom threw it all out. :(

So I guess what I'm saying is if you decide to keep them, keep an eye on them. :smilegrin:

Nakiro
08-06-2004, 02:59 AM
I had 36 Goosebumps books about five years ago. I got rid of them because although the were a symbol of a time in my life, I was more excited about the future and wanted to make space for whatever came from it.

Now I have a remote control race car that's two years old on my shelf. It symbolizes the time in my life that I worked for my girlfriend's mother at her hobby shop. It'll get the axe this year when I go back to school and in its place will be a fish tank that my girlfriend is giving me for our four year anniversary (7/4).

My point is, if you don't get rid of your stuff sometime, you'll never get to replace it with new memories. And new memories are great.