PDA

View Full Version : Iowa to Modernize Divorce Laws

ClydeR
03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Seven Republicans in the Iowa House are pushing a bill to prohibit parents of minor children from getting a “no fault” divorce and the proposal could be debated in a House committee this week.

More... (http://www.radioiowa.com/2013/03/04/bill-would-forbid-parents-from-getting-no-fault-divorce/)

Under the proposed legislation, parents with kids under the age of 18 could not get a no-fault divorce. Instead, they’d have to show a spouse was guilty of adultery, had been sent to prison on a felony conviction, had physically or sexually abused someone in the family, or had abandoned the family for at least a year.

“This basically is an attempt on my part to keep fathers in the home,” Gassman said. “I sincerely believe that the family is the foundation of this nation and this nation will go the direction of our families. If our families break up, so will this nation.”

Parents who have lived separately for at least two years could use that as a “fault” for a divorce, however.

All 50 states currently allow married couples to divorce without having to show fault. It wasn't always that way. Before a divorced liberal governor in California signed a law allowing "no fault" divorces in 1970, you had to have a really good reason if you wanted a divorce. Otherwise, you had to stick it out 'til death did you part. We need to go back to those traditional pre-1970 values.

Methais
03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Is "she stopped giving BJs" considered fault? It should be.

msconstrew
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Is "she stopped giving BJs" considered fault? It should be.

I think it is, but there's a technical term for it. You had to prove something like you hadn't had "relations" in over a year. I don't know how you go about proving something like that, though: "Judge, judge, here's my diary for the past 65 weeks. As you can CLEARLY see, I did not write about any sexual encounter between us during that time."

I looked it up quickly. It's called "constructive abandonment". So basically even though you're living in the same house, sharing the same bed, if there's no "marital relations", then you can claim constructive abandonment.

Methais
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I think it is, but there's a technical term for it. You had to prove something like you hadn't had "relations" in over a year. I don't know how you go about proving something like that, though: "Judge, judge, here's my diary for the past 65 weeks. As you can CLEARLY see, I did not write about any sexual encounter between us during that time."

I looked it up quickly. It's called "constructive abandonment". So basically even though you're living in the same house, sharing the same bed, if there's no "marital relations", then you can claim constructive abandonment.

In a case like that, I think that showing receipts from Fernando's New Beginnings would be sufficient proof, even though their stated purpose is ironically to save your marriage.