PDA

View Full Version : Just one of those little things...

Vesi
08-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Ok. Let me preface this by saying that my grammar and spelling are lacking. This I know. No need to point it out.

However, there is one word that is misspelled so often that I started to think I was spelling it wrong. I even looked it up in three online dictionaries just to see if there was an alternate spelling. I couldn't find one.

What is the word? Ridiculous. I see it spelled as rediculous in many posts, e-mails and instant messages. Is there an alternate spelling that I just can't find or is this just one of those words that lots of people misspell?

Again... not being picky but I see it so often that I'm beginning to think I missed an alternate spelling someplace.

Also, are there other words that anyone notices that sort of fall into this catagory?

Vesi the ever curious

P. S. Yes, it is a slow day here. :P

Wezas
08-04-2004, 05:43 PM
As Bob has said before, you are his hero for spelling it correctly.

Vesi
08-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
As Bob has said before, you are his hero for spelling it correctly.

Bob called me a hero? <looks all confused and stuff>

No, really. My post wasn't to meant to nitpick. I really tried to get that across in the first post. It's just I see it so often I was wondering if there was an alternate spelling that I missed someplace. Honest! And if there were other words that just didn't look right to some people that are commonly used.

Google it. That even confused me more.

Vesi

P. S. I should have put a hot redhead or a picture of Jesae to distract you Wezas.

Hulkein
08-04-2004, 05:58 PM
The word definitely. So many people spell it definately. I'd say I see it spelled wrong just as many times as I see it spelled right.

GSLeloo
08-04-2004, 06:00 PM
I know what you mean and sometimes it bugs me so much. I think a lot of people spell the words how they sound despite the fact that that really isn't how you spell it. I wonder if I should tell them or not cause otherwise they keep making it but if you tell them you sound like a snob or something.

Bobmuhthol
08-04-2004, 06:02 PM
<<The word definitely. So many people spell it definately. I'd say I see it spelled wrong just as many times as I see it spelled right.>>

That and people who say 'alright.' It's not a word.

Some Rogue
08-04-2004, 06:08 PM
The people who use loose for lose or looser for loser get on my nerves.

Vesi
08-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<The word definitely. So many people spell it definately. I'd say I see it spelled wrong just as many times as I see it spelled right.>>

Funny you should bring alright into this. I have a few characters in GS. I try to roleplay them all differently up to spelling (or misspelling) certain words. One character will say all right... the other one says alright. I know in a text based game that they sound alike, but in my little warped mind the one using all right seems more refined.

Also, Leloo, thanks for bringing up the snob thing. I didn't want to point fingers because I wasn't specifically isolating just the posters here. I see the word I was speaking of everywhere. And I mean everywhere! You're right when you say that lots of times words are spelled more like they sound. I know I do it also.

Vesi

GSLeloo
08-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Some words I just can't spell so if I honestly think it's wrong I usually go like (sp?) so that people don't think I'm just stupid. I know it's weird but it's a quirk I guess.

Betheny
08-04-2004, 06:24 PM
"Supposably".

"Illstrim"

LUMNOS

Latrinsorm
08-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Latinstorm. :grr:

No, seriously, what bugs me all over the place is people who say "alot". Because you know who says it correctly? Xcalibur does (in his third, count 'em, THIRD language). Ergo, every single native English speaker has to brain up or face serious skate-to-face action.

Hulkein
08-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Some words I just can't spell so if I honestly think it's wrong I usually go like (sp?) so that people don't think I'm just stupid. I know it's weird but it's a quirk I guess.

Instead of putting (sp?) just go to dictionary.com and find out the real spelling.

Then you will actually know incase you use the word again in the future.

Ravenstorm
08-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

Funny how it appears in dictionaries. I guess they don't know it's not a word.

Raven

GSLeloo
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I think the correct spelling is actually two separate words, all and right.

And the only reason I don't go to dictionary.com is if for example I'm typing it in here and don't want to have to switch web pages. Then it's simply that it's more convenient to do it that way. Otherwise in IMs and such I usually go to dictionary.com. And somewhere I do have an actual dictionary in my room.

Artha
08-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Any time someone pluralizes a word with an 's. I hate that.

GSLeloo
08-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Actually, this isn't really an error, but still really annoying is when people go "spellies, sorcies" etc.

Brattt8525
08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
tongue is the most misspelled word!!!!!! not that I would know that tho :up:

Artha
08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Also, people who do Rouge instead of Rogue annoy me. Especially when they are rogues.

Satira
08-04-2004, 10:19 PM
I looked up alright out of sheer curiosity. Just in case anyone cares.

Main Entry: al·right
Pronunciation:
Function: adverb or adjective
Date: 1887
: ALL RIGHT
usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school were alright —Gertrude Stein>.

Anyway, something that bothers me is when people say "alot" instead of "a lot" and "eachother" instead of "each other"

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Lady Satira]

Bobmuhthol
08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
<<Any time someone pluralizes a word with an 's. I hate that.>>

Yeah, the people who do that are moron's.

HarmNone
08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Imput for input. :weird:

Pallon
08-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Whenimer's

Faent
08-06-2004, 05:03 AM
>>That and people who say 'alright.' It's not a word. -Bob

>>Funny how it appears in dictionaries. I guess they don't know it's not a word. -Ravenstorm

Ravenstorm and Satira win. The word was used back in 1175 and 1230 A.D. to mean "just" or "exactly". It is also listed as "a frequent spelling of 'all right'". This latter usage dates back to 1893. Of course, that bitch H. W. Fowler in his freaking book _Modern English Usage_ says, "There are no such forms as all-right, allright, or alright, though even the last, if seldom allowed by the compositors to appear in print, is often seen..in MS." That quote from Fowler dates back to 1926. Since then, the word has appeared in print much, much more frequently. It is now, quite clearly, a legitimate English word.

The above information comes from the Oxford English Dictionary. Get it, use it, love it.

-Scott

Artha
08-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Genious.

Bobmuhthol
08-06-2004, 05:28 AM
It's okay if you're semi drunk.

Tsa`ah
08-06-2004, 05:54 AM
Spelling errors don't really annoy me that much. Lazy abbreviations annoy the hell out of me.

On a message board fine. Company memos? You do have fucking degree don't you? The company does provide you with a computer and word program don't they?

The next time I get a memo or e-mail that uses plz, thnx, or any other internet jargon .... I'm going ballistic.

These things only annoy me at work, not outside. I can't hold a standard to people I'm not involved with professionally, unless I see a 10 paragraph post slamming on the intellect of a person or persons while the post contains so many spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors that makes one wonder if the person posted made it past the third grade. I find people who feel they must point out and correct minor errors far more annoying however.

KymberlynX
08-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Spelling errors don't really annoy me that much. Lazy abbreviations annoy the hell out of me.

On a message board fine. Company memos? You do have fucking degree don't you? The company does provide you with a computer and word program don't they?

The next time I get a memo or e-mail that uses plz, thnx, or any other internet jargon .... I'm going ballistic.

These things only annoy me at work, not outside. I can't hold a standard to people I'm not involved with professionally, unless I see a 10 paragraph post slamming on the intellect of a person or persons while the post contains so many spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors that makes one wonder if the person posted made it past the third grade. I find people who feel they must point out and correct minor errors far more annoying however.

I agree with you Tsa'ah...my boss makes over 100k a year and can't take the time to capitalize/punctuate/spell check in her emails. It's annoying.

It also bothers me when people don't take the time to spell out simple words like you, are, okay. I admit there is a rare occasion that I will use u, r, or ok when I'm holding my daughter and typing with one hand, but people who use it constantly annoy me.

Bobmuhthol
08-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Separate.

Tomorrow.

<<or ok>>

That's how a lot of people spell it. They aren't being lazy.

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by Bobmuhthol]