PDA

View Full Version : West Nile Virus

Betheny
08-20-2003, 10:52 PM
So my roommate found a suspiciously docile crow outside our house, and brought it in. We called a wildlife veterinary clinic and they told us that crows and blue jays are affected by the West Nile Virus and we shouldn't have touched it.

I, personally, being somewhat medically trained, had no fricking idea, but now we're in some deep shit. If the bird dies, we're in trouble.

Just thought I'd let people know, I guess. I don't know much about the virus myself, as I've been out of the flow of information for about two years, but if anyone's well-versed and has anything to share I'd like to know.

[Edited on 8-21-2003 by Maimara]

Scott
08-20-2003, 10:57 PM
I don't know where you live or anything, but if you are on the north eastern US, you can't go a day without hearing about it on the news. If you see a dead bird, you call some number and they will test it for WNV. It's suppose to be a huge epedimic this year.

Betheny
08-20-2003, 11:02 PM
I live in Minnesota.

I don't watch the news either.

Red Devil
08-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Just get a good firewall and you're fine

Artha
08-20-2003, 11:29 PM
It's not very deadly. In fact, usually people get it and write it off as a flu, if they do get it. It's like SARS...the worst thing about it is the media hype. A small (think: single digits) fraction of people get seriously ill [meaning hospital time], and a small fraction of that get end with coma/death. And I could be wrong, but I think you can't get it from touching, and it has to travel by blood, which is why mosquittos spread it so well...so if you didn't get a mosquitto bite from a mosquitto that bit the crow, you should be fine.

Bobmuhthol
08-20-2003, 11:31 PM
<<A small (think: single digits) fraction of people get seriously ill [meaning hospital time], and a small fraction of that get end with coma/death.>>

Do you know nothing about math?

Drew2
08-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Red Devil
Just get a good firewall and you're fine
It must be my mood, because for the first time ever, I found Red Devil hilarious.

[Edited on 8-21-2003 by Tayre]

Makkah
08-21-2003, 09:31 AM
We had one case of human WNV here around my neck of tha wood. We got birds that have it, but only around 1% of the humans that come down with it see the severe imflammation of the brain which is the fatal effect of the virus.

rht

i remember halloween
08-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Why would your roommate bring a docile crow inside the house? Are you rooming with Corky from Life Goes On?

http://studentclubs.winona.edu/winonan/images/Photos/1corky.jpg

[Edited on 8-21-2003 by i remember halloween]

Parkbandit
08-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by i remember halloween
Why would your roommate bring a docile crow inside the house? Are you rooming with Corky from Life Goes On?

Hehe... it reminds me of that commercial about the wolf growling outside their door and the kid/father invite it in, thinking it will not hurt them.

peam
08-21-2003, 02:26 PM
If you're not elderly, an infant, or suffering from AIDS/HIV, I wouldn't worry about it.

Betheny
08-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I have no idea. We felt bad for it. It did end up dying at midnight, and the health department didn't even come and pick up the carcass, they said they knew we had a major infestation in our neighborhood.

Thanks for telling us, guys.

Oh well. It seems dumb to me to freak people out if they aren't going to get sick and die from it.

Bobby
08-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I have no idea. We felt bad for it. It did end up dying at midnight, and the health department didn't even come and pick up the carcass, they said they knew we had a major infestation in our neighborhood.

Thanks for telling us, guys.
=========================
"I live in Minnesota.

I don't watch the news either"

They probably did, but as you said, you weren't watching the news. :lol:

Artha
08-21-2003, 06:39 PM
You probably don't have anything to worry about...next time you see a docile bird, just step on it's head.

Neildo
08-21-2003, 09:55 PM
You probably don't have anything to worry about...next time you see a docile bird, just step on it's head.

Heh, for some STUPID reason, I've actually done that before.

It was during Jr. High or something and I was playing basketball with a friend at the high school across the street from my old place. Anyhow, we were leaving and we saw a dead crow in the parking lot and for some reason we wondered what it's insides would look like so I decided to jump up and squash it's head. It's brain squirted and oozed out like a giant pimple. It looked like chewed up "Big Chew" bubble gum (the shreded gum in those pouches).

Yeah, so that's that, heh.

And just curious, but how long has the West Nile virus been in North America? I don't worry about those sorts of things as most are blown out of proportion by the media. But this took place I dunno, like 12-13 years ago. I'm just wondering if there was an ungodly small chance this crow could have had the WNV. It was brain splatter, but none got on/in me. It was like a twisted up ketchup packet going splat when stomped on. Planned trajectory and all. Mmm, yum. Record loss reported on the sales of Big Chew bubble gum and small condiment packets. :P

- N

Artha
08-21-2003, 10:19 PM
It's only been around a few years...and I said step on it's head to put it out of it's misery :)

Betheny
08-22-2003, 12:53 AM
I prefer to not watch the news, as all the media talks about is how shitty it is to live.

I prefer to lower my stress level by not worrying about the BS.

imported_Kranar
08-22-2003, 01:00 AM
<< I prefer to not watch the news, as all the media talks about is how shitty it is to live. >>

They make good money doing that. Putting fear into people makes them stay tuned in and in suspence so that they can be the FIRST to know what's out there that can kill you.

"Be afraid of this! Be on the lookout of this! Are you aware that this can kill you? Stay tuned or else you'll miss out."

Just imagine how boring the news would be if they just said "There really isn't much you have to be worried about and afraid of. Life is good!"

Heh... come to Canada and you'll see how boring the news can be.

Artha
08-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Well, if we're inside watching the news, we're not out getting coughed on by chinese people, or bitten by WNV mosquitos.

Betheny
08-22-2003, 01:16 AM
I watched "Bowling for Columbine" the other day, and it really opened my eyes.

I haven't watched the news for a long time, and I doubt I will again. Watching the comparison between U.S. news and Canadian news really convinced me it's not necessary to live in utter fear.

By the way, if you haven't seen "Bowling for Columbine", it really is worth sitting down and watching. I don't like documentary-style films, but that is definetely one I'm glad I watched.

[Edited on 8-22-2003 by Maimara]

Artha
08-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Bowling for Columbine...don't get me started. There's more lies there than I want to go off-topic for.

Betheny
08-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Well, regardless of whether what it contains is fact or fiction, it got me thinking.

Artha
08-22-2003, 04:52 PM
I'd say the news part is about the only part not covered in lies...and even then, only partially.

Betheny
08-22-2003, 04:56 PM
It would seem to me that the comparisons between American culture and Canadian culture are pretty straightforward too.

The thing that struck me the most, at the time, was that out of every celebrity they interviewed -- only one made sense: Marilyn Manson.

When asked what he would say to the families of the Columbine dead, he said, "I wouldn't say anything -- I'd listen." That statement made me grow a little respect for him, because I think he understands (like not many others do) what was probably going through those kids' head.

The South Park guy said the same thing -- he had been there, but instead of a gun, he found a creative outlet (creating cartoons.)

Just a few of the things I found interesting. Propaganda isn't my thing, I tend to be immune to it. Hence my not watching television or news.

imported_Kranar
08-22-2003, 05:34 PM
<< Well, regardless of whether what it contains is fact or fiction, it got me thinking. >>

The misconception is that "Bowling For Columbine" is full of lies, well it isn't full of lies, the factual aspect of the documentary is accurate. What it is, however, is an unacademic documentary, not because any falsehoods are stated, but because truths are left out. The editting left out many vital sections of quotes and the NRA speech given by Charlton Heston is taken out of context in many cases.

But overall it does stand the test of being a good documentary, even if it isn't academic. The purpose of the documentary was simply to get people thinking about what it is they fear so much about others, why they even fear one another. It wasn't about trying to eliminate guns or gun control, but that the obsession Americans have with guns and crime is a consequence of this growing fear.

Betheny
08-22-2003, 05:38 PM
For me, coming from a very sheltered suburban lifestyle in your average Midwestern town, from a lower middle class family, it opened my eyes a bit. But it didn't really change anything I already thought.

I, myself, have never touched a gun or even seen one (except for when I've seen police, or television.) I find it very hard to believe that the 'general population' (as portrayed in the movie in question) is so obsessed with guns. There are those of us out there, though we tend to remain quiet and just live our lives as best we can, who don't really care much either way about them.

Artha
08-23-2003, 07:09 AM
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

peam
08-23-2003, 08:22 AM
I picked up the film yesterday just to see what it was all about. I'd already heard of the controversy from reading pro-gun forums.

It seems all Mr. Moore did was take what had to be a ton of footage and skew it into a view that favored his opinion.

Instead of going after lawful, intelligent gun owners, he went after the bottom of the barrel. I'm sure doing this wasn't a mistake, but he totally left out an important side of the spectrum of gun ownership.

The other topics the film covered, the news coverage issue mainly, may have had some actual ground to stand on, but the total one-sided view into the world of guns ruined any respect I would have had for the film.

Betheny
08-23-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't doubt that any of the problems with the film are true, and I can't say I agree with the anti-gun sentiment, but I must say I do agree with what he portrays about the media and how it affects our society.